Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by ViolenceJackRespectsWomen View Post
    turn based strategy games they're dated as fuck.
    Hmm, not sure what you're thinking about, but if you mean games like Fire Emblem, Final Fantasy Tactics etc. Aka the "tactical RPGs", then those games are pretty enjoyable.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Vanya2 View Post
    'Visual Novel' aka anime waifu dating shit... those games just creep me out.
    I don't know, Phoenix Wright was pretty good. I don't have much experience with the genre beyond this though, but dating waifus doesn't sound too bad.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Temp name View Post
    Sports games, RTS games, and anything (first or third person) with a locked FOV. No that last one isn't a genre, they can still go fuck themselves though
    Hmm, I would have listed sports, as I'm not a huge sports person, but there are some sports games I can reference that I enjoyed quite a bit. Mario Tennis, Mario Golf, International Superstar Soccer 98, NBA Jam for N64, the wrestling games for N64 (which is kind of a sport), Excitebike for NES, and even some FIFA games I enjoyed. I watched soccer like Eurocup and World Cup back then (I'm not American) and it was nice seeing all my favorite players, and I would make teams as well consisting of my friends, haha. Going through the character creator and making all my friends back then was some of the most fun I had. For these reasons, although I'm inclined to list this as one of my least favorite genres, I just can't.

Battle royales. Biggest pile of crap gameplay I've ever seen in my life.
    Khadgar: Prepare to heroically CTRL-E through the portal with me!

Quote Originally Posted by Hooky View Post
    yeah wow cool..how about raising the valor cap consider WoD isn't that far away? 1000 valor points gets u a lollipop and kick in the nutsack these days! Back in my day we could get a bucket of candy and a pet ferret with that sort of points!
    Quote Originally Posted by Herecius View Post
    QUICKLY FRIENDS, TO THE HYPERBOLEMOBILE!

Sports games, because I can play sports in real life, or watch the only one that I care to watch.

Horror games, because I have little patience for their lack of good gameplay or satisfying (to me) story. Plus most of them rely on jump scares.

Quote Originally Posted by Akasha64 View Post
    Hmm, not sure what you're thinking about, but if you mean games like Fire Emblem, Final Fantasy Tactics etc. Aka the "tactical RPGs", then those games are pretty enjoyable.

- - - Updated - - -

I don't know, Phoenix Wright was pretty good. I don't have much experience with the genre beyond this though, but dating waifus doesn't sound too bad.

- - - Updated - - -

Hmm, I would have listed sports, as I'm not a huge sports person, but there are some sports games I can reference that I enjoyed quite a bit. Mario Tennis, Mario Golf, International Superstar Soccer 98, NBA Jam for N64, the wrestling games for N64 (which is kind of a sport), Excitebike for NES, and even some FIFA games I enjoyed. I watched soccer like Eurocup and World Cup back then (I'm not American) and it was nice seeing all my favorite players, and I would make teams as well consisting of my friends, haha. Going through the character creator and making all my friends back then was some of the most fun I had. For these reasons, although I'm inclined to list this as one of my least favorite genres, I just can't.
    Real time strategy games are more enjoyable for me. Dark souls also killed arpg for me as well.
    Violence Jack Respects Women!

10+ Year Old Account
    Sports games. Except NBA Jam TE on the SNES and Gran Turismo games.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tech614 View Post
    I recommend some ice for your feet mate. With the trail of hot takes you're leaving in this thread they must be burning.

Quote Originally Posted by draynay View Post
    Strange to say on what is essentially a Warcraft forum, but I was never very keen on RTS.
    I'd say RTS is one of my favorite genres. First one I played was Age of Empires 2 back in the day (got me curious about history), Starcraft 1/2 (I like watching tournies sometimes too on Twitch, mostly Koreans duking it out against each other), Rise of Nations, Command & Conquer, Age of Mythology....can't disagree more. This is a pretty great genre of games.

It's too bad it has seen a decline in recent years. There is this sense though that if you've played one, you played them all though, since they're all "gather resources, construct buildings, research as many upgrades as possible, build an army and attack".....but that still had me hooked for quite a bit. Weeks on end. RTS was the first genre I really became kind of addicted to, until MMORPGs came into my life.

Other games were addicting as well, but had a definitive ending, whereas RTS you can keep playing, and even in map editor you can create your own maps (that's how the MOBA genre started for instance in Warcraft 3). People hype up games like Minecraft or Super Mario Maker now, but back then RTS map editor gave us that feeling of constructing things. There's nothing like your first love sometimes
    Last edited by Akasha64; 2019-06-23 at 02:49 AM.

Love just about every genre, but realistic sports games probably the least. All the Madden, FIFA, NHL games get old, but give me NBA Jam and NFL Blitz and I can play those games over and over. I still love going over to a friends house, breaking out the old N64, crack open a few beers and play some NBA Jam.

sports games

not sure if its a genre but pvp only games
    Member: Dragon Flight Alpha Club, Member since 7/20/22

Sports and racing games

10+ Year Old Account
    Sports, driving, flight sims, moba, battle royale, always online, games as a service, dancing/singing/karaoke, and anything with forced multiplayer/pvp.
    Quote Originally Posted by Warwithin View Post
    Politicians put their hand on the BIBLE and swore to uphold the CONSTITUTION. They did not put their hand on the CONSTITUTION and swear to uphold the BIBLE.
    Quote Originally Posted by Adam Jensen View Post
    Except maybe Morgan Freeman. That man could convince God to be an atheist with that voice of his . . .
    Quote Originally Posted by LiiLoSNK View Post
    If your girlfriend is a girl and you're a guy, your kid is destined to be some sort of half girl/half guy abomination.

10+ Year Old Account
    RTS. Hated the gameplay of WC3 and Starcraft, but played them through for the story.
    Most likely the wisest Enhancement Shaman.

Quote Originally Posted by StrawberryZebra View Post
    I'm genuinely surprised at all the people disliking fighters. I've always loved that they combine strong executional requirements with micro and macro stratergy and also need a helping of psychology and empathy to do well in. Almost like a high speed game of Poker and Chess being played simultaniously. That huge cross section of skills is what, I find anyway, makes them interesting to watch and exciting to play.
    Not saying it's all, but I wager most people don't like fighters because there is no one to blame when they fail. Personal responsibility is not something today's gamers like to say the least.

You can see this in things as simple as PUGs on WoW too. Need someone to do a specific mechanic? Very few, sometimes even no one will volunteer to do it. But they will all be the first to complain when the person who did own up to doing it fails.

But yea, I think fighting games are the best genre in competitive gaming. Not only do they take into account personal skill, but the games are mental as well. Even if you have perfect execution you can't do the same thing every match, a good player would download you after 1 game, you literally need to present to your opponent multiple options for every situation and your willingness to use them. There is no other genre where reading your opponent is actually more important then raw execution, hell Justin Wong made a career out of reading people with some of the sloppiest execution of any pro fighting game player.

As for the topic, military shooters and BR games. Literally the blandest of the bland. For the most part these games are black holes for creativity.
    Last edited by Tech614; 2019-06-23 at 06:11 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Tech614 View Post
    Not saying it's all, but I wager most people don't like fighters because there is no one to blame when they fail. Personal responsibility is not something today's gamers like to say the least.

You can see this in things as simple as PUGs on WoW too. Need someone to do a specific mechanic? Very few, sometimes even no one will volunteer to do it. But they will all be the first to complain when the person who did own up to doing it fails.
    Which is the great irony here. There are plenty of people willing to blame their team failings on others, but when placed into an environment when their success or failures are entirely their own, they shy away. There's also a lot that will gladly blame bad RNG, or getting unlucky with various game mechanics or screwed over by bad timings. None of those things even exist in a fighter.

It's a competative environment where there's no one else around to drag you down and absolutely no bullshit. The outcomes are based almost entirely on skill. It's exactly what people say they want in a competative game. And yet they're one of the smallest genres on the market.

Pandaren Monk
    5+ Year Old Account
    And yeah, sports games.

The only exception there is when sports games have extreme/unique rules or are sci-fi/fantasy settings, or other stuff along those lines. When we're talking about something like Blood Bowl or Blitz, I'm a little more interested.

But if we're talking about like the latest Madden or FIFA game? Nope. Total snoozefest.

Same thing with racing games. I'd never touch a Nascar game, but I'm okay with stuff like F-Zero. Realism is boring.

There's a lot more dislike of sports games than I would have guessed. If you do the myplayer mode of whatever game you play, it's practically an RPG and sport hyrbid these days. I buy baseball every year and have a blast for 2-3 seasons before I put it back on the shelf, NBA 2k use to be the same until they turned it to shit.

On topic, I dislike MOBAs and Battle Royales the most, they're likely responsible for the death of one of my favorite genres so that leaves a bad taste in my mouth.

Quote Originally Posted by StrawberryZebra View Post
    Which is the great irony here. There are plenty of people willing to blame their team failings on others, but when placed into an environment when their success or failures are entirely their own, they shy away. There's also a lot that will gladly blame bad RNG, or getting unlucky with various game mechanics or screwed over by bad timings. None of those things even exist in a fighter.

It's a competative environment where there's no one else around to drag you down and absolutely no bullshit. The outcomes are based almost entirely on skill. It's exactly what people say they want in a competative game. And yet they're one of the smallest genres on the market.
    I think that is one of the reasons why a game like SC2 had such a hard time getting massive. It is hard to realize that just maybe, you are shit at a game. In a game like Dota or LoL, or any multiplayer game really, you can blame your shitty teammates. In Hearthstone, or Auto Chess, you can blame the pesky RNG for making you lose, despite your clearly superior skill. But in fighting games, you can't really blame anyone else, and it sucks to suck.

shooters & sports

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Vineri View Post
    I dislike digital only downloads, as well as Games As A Service (GAAS).
    What kind of a game genre is this?

Sandbox games and Sports games. I get bored with sandboxes unbelievably fast, and sports games is just not fun to me.

Quote Originally Posted by Daedius View Post
    BR in Fallout 76! \o/ .... ! /s
    They made a Tertris battle royale. Nothing should surprise you anymore!

I think digital card games take the cake for me though.

That and anything that has way too many QTEs(mash random button to grab x, mash other random button to grab y). It is a solid downer for replayability.
    The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, but wiser people so full of doubts.