Florida city to pay $600K ransom to hacker who seized computer systems

https://www.cnn.com/2019/06/20/us/ri...ker/index.html

(CNN) A Florida city is paying $600,000 in Bitcoins to a hacker who took over local government computers after an employee clicked on a malicious email link three weeks ago.

Riviera Beach officials voted this week to pay 65 Bitcoins to the hacker who seized the city's computer systems, forcing the local police and fire departments to write down the hundreds of daily 911 calls on paper, CNN affiliate WPEC reported.

The 65 Bitcoins, which equals $600,000, will come from the city's insurance, officials said.

Once the payment is made, they hope to get access to data encrypted by the hacker. Even with the plans to pay the ransom, the city said, an investigation is under way.

read mores
    "They hope" also means not guarantee. It's always good to have backups.

10+ Year Old Account
    why are people still clicking on random links in emails in 2019?
    also the 600k should come out of the employees wages for gross incompetence.
    r.i.p. alleria. 1997-2017. blizzard ruined alleria forever. blizz assassinated alleria's character and appearance.
    i will never forgive you for this blizzard.

FBI has been saying to never pay these guys.

Would be curious to know if they get the data once they pay or the crooks take the money and run without giving the victims a way to get their data back.

"This will be a fight against overwhelming odds from which survival cannot be expected. We will do what damage we can."

-- Capt. Copeland

Quote Originally Posted by Medium9 View Post
    It would probably be a lot cheaper to just throw the affected hard drives out and do a clean re-install from the backups they surely must have, since I'd expect this to be mandated in such positions. And from what you saved send your damn employees onto some basic security seminars ffs...

Also: Yeah, encourage hacking. Great idea! If they actually do pay, they almost would deserve follow-up demands. Srsly, how is this even remotely entertained!?
    Remember Wannacry? It crippled many computer systems including NHS systems in the UK. So I wouldn't expect people to have back ups or be even remotely competent at even government places. Not that many private companies are that much more secure either.

Paying the ransom...that sounds like a good idea. /s

10+ Year Old Account
    Now this is something people should be worried about, THIS is something people can do something about, and this is something that for sure can destroy peoples lives.
    Milli Vanilli, Bigger than Elvis

10+ Year Old Account
    Their IT department is either ridiculously inept or madly frustrated.

Smells like a honeypot to be honest.

Resident Cosplay Progressive

15+ Year Old Account
    Did Florida Man evolve?

Quote Originally Posted by Slirith View Post
    Did Florida Man evolve?
    It was he that opened the file in that email.

Quote Originally Posted by breadisfunny View Post
    why are people still clicking on random links in emails in 2019?
    also the 600k should come out of the employees wages for gross incompetence.
    I second that.

Quote Originally Posted by Flarelaine View Post
    I second that.
    I don't think I've ever seen a mod say something this fucking stupid.

"I second that!"

It's your fault for clicking on the links!

"I second that!"

Meanwhile the site you just started modding for is notorious for having poorly examined (as if they are examined at all) ads that are constantly ripe with malicious scripts.

"I second that!"

Don't click on any of those links guys! Just buy mmoc premium so that you don't have to worry about it!

"I second that!"

Anyone thinking of applying for mod status, just copy this genius. You'll fit right in.
    Last edited by LiiLoSNK; 2019-06-22 at 04:28 PM.
    "I'm not stuck in the trench, I'm maintaining my rating."

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by LiiLoSNK View Post

"I second that!"

"I second that!"

Meanwhile the site you just started modding for is notorious for having poorly examined (as if they are examined at all) ads that are constantly ripe with malicious scripts.

"I second that!"

Don't click on any of those links guys! Just buy mmoc premium so that you don't have to worry about it!

"I second that!"

Anyone thinking of applying for mod status, just copy this genius. You'll fit right in.
    You could always apply to be a moderator, they are volunteers so you aren't going to get paid. It would be interesting to know your ideas.
    Milli Vanilli, Bigger than Elvis

I'm really surprised they'd pay. Do they not have backups of the data? Even so, is it really that valuable?

My company had about a dozen servers get hit by ransomware. All of our money is made from the data on those servers, and only maybe 10% of it was backed up. We wiped the drives and ignored the ransom.

"I second that!"

"I second that!"

"I second that!"

"I second that!"

There is a dedicated forum thread for reporting ads you may have a problem with. A PM to a global mod is the recommended avenue of resolving issues with moderation.

"I second that!"

"I second that!"

"I second that!"

"I second that!"

Congratulations. Here's your official Douchebag card dude.

(Infracted)
    Last edited by God Save The King; 2019-06-22 at 10:49 PM.

Elemental Lord
    15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by luc54 View Post
    Remember Wannacry? It crippled many computer systems including NHS systems in the UK England.
    Fixed that for you ^^

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Celista View Post
    Bad idea, they're just opening themselves up to more hackers.
    Not really as their systems were never penetrated by hackers, they were just the victim of user error combined with lax security and under investment.

Of course you could argue that after the spammers (because this was spammers not hackers, the media just don't know the difference) are successful once then they will increase the amount of emails they send that department, however after this you would expect user training/security/investment to be brought into line.
    Last edited by caervek; 2019-06-23 at 01:06 AM.

I am Murloc!
    10+ Year Old Account

"I second that!"

"I second that!"

"I second that!"

"I second that!"

I think they are discontinuing Premium

never pay hackers. Just keep stuff on backups. lots and lots of backups. Even if the hackers gave all of their stuff back that doesn't mean they won't try this again in the future.

The truth is that hackers are pulling ahead of security efforts to stop them. One reason is not everyone instantly upgrades their computers, meaning as time goes on, old computers with old vulnerabilities are left on networks, leading to ever-increasing numbers of ways to hack into systems that were once thought to have been patched.
    TO FIX WOW:1. smaller server sizes & server-only LFG awarding satchels, so elite players help others. 2. "helper builds" with loom powers - talent trees so elite players cast buffs on low level players XP gain, HP/mana, regen, damage, etc. 3. "helper ilvl" scoring how much you help others. 4. observer games like in SC to watch/chat (like twitch but with MORE DETAILS & inside the wow UI) 5. guild leagues to compete with rival guilds for progression (with observer mode).6. jackpot world mobs.