Page 9 of 10 FirstFirst ...
LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by lucred View Post
    A FEW TIMES!? I have tried playing on a PvP server on three occasions. On all three, by the time I was level 20 I had been killed by level 50+ players over 100 times, and it was only that few because I logged out for a while after they began corpse camping me. Maybe I just have INCREDIBLY bad luck with PvP servers but it was almost literally impossible for me to level because any time I went somewhere that was high enough to give me XP, I would not be able to finish a single quest before I had some high level player camping my corpse.
    That was only if I somehow managed to get into a quest hub, cause almost every time I went to one, there were some high level players guarding the entrance, so I would be killed if I even tried to get near them, so the only way to get a quest was to die, run closer to a quest giver, rez, die and repeat, and HOPE that when I rezzed next to a quest giver I could grab the quest before dying again, then accept the rez sickness to respawn at the grave yard. If I tried to get out of town by corpse running, one of the players would just follow me out so they could continue killing me.

So tell me, what would YOU do in that situation? Just go out to one of the few areas with no quest targets and grind your way through 40+ levels by killing mobs for xp?
    I think you are remembering it wrong (as a lot of people who were pro Classic and now bounced back from it - more will follow) or simply like or made a very wrong example. Sure, I believe you could've been killed few times. But by the time you were 20 and killed over 100 times (and on three different servers same scenario!)? Well... thats interesting and lets get some facts straight:
    a) did you flag yourself for PvP since level1?
    b) did you attack an enemy player?
    c) did you wonder off to a contested zone that is beyond your level (if ally went straight to Redridge Mountains)?
    1-10 Durotar
    1-10 Elwynn Forest
    1-10 Mulgore
    1-10 Teldrassil
    1-10 Tirisfal Glades
    10-20 Darkshore
    10-20 Loch Modan
    10-20 Silverpine Forest
    10-20 Westfall
    10-25 Barrens

I really find it hard to believe you got (if you were ally) ganked so many times in Redridge Mountains, Stonetalon Mountains or Ashenvale.
    Duskwood I understand you could end up being ganked as its next to STV and green dragon is there (depends where and when you leveled).

So yeah, I think you are over-dramatizing your past experience and you were very unlucky.

In your made-up (I could believe this happened once or twice during the entire level range experience if you wandered off) situation - if it would annoy me so badly, I would have rolled on PvE server and enjoy my game there? It's no rocket science.

And in all seriousness I never got ganked that many times on my entire 1-60 like you "sub 20" while playing on a High pop PvP and grinding mostly in STV and doing most of the quests there. On a rather balanced server when it comes to factions.

So again, dont go angry on a PvP Server (and make up stupid additional restrictions for them) which will not affect you as you will roll on a PvE one and everything that is "wrong" in your eyes with PvP server will not affect you.
    Last edited by Rapti; 2019-06-25 at 07:00 AM.

I was PvE in vanilla back in the days and learned from the beta pvp realm that I've missed really much fun because of it. Sure it has it downsides like getting ganked / corpse camped, but its totally worth because thats how epic battles can begin. You reach out to your guildies or /4, people come help you. Then the other factions gets more and more people in because of it and it rapidly blows up and then boom: 80v80
    Last edited by christophrus; 2019-06-25 at 10:12 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Xanadrienne View Post
    You're skipping over the fact that there are a lot of people who utterly despise PvP.
    Often I feel that there are a lot of people who utterly depised WoW in general and yet kept playing and forcing changes.
    Quote Originally Posted by Friendlyimmolation View Post
    When an orc eats an orc, two orcs rip out of the orcs stomach, they eat each other and a brand new orc walks through the door, and then his chest explodes and 20 full grown orcs crawl out of his body. They then eat each other and the bodies until there are 3 orcs left. The mystery of the orc reproduction cycle.

High Overlord
    3+ Year Old Account
    PvE servers have NEVER been as popular as PvP servers, it's not rocket science. Ganking is not good enough a reason to just go PvE, players are missing out on a vital end game element of WoW, even at low levels, if they go PvE only. On a PvP server during Vanilla, players had the full WoW experience that PvE servers limited and thus were less popular than PvP servers. Blizz should take BFA back to dedicated PvP servers and scrap war mode. I hope Classic does not meet the same fate as BFA and the PvP servers stick around forever.

Quote Originally Posted by Rafoel View Post
    Often I feel that there are a lot of people who utterly depised WoW in general and yet kept playing and forcing changes.
    "I hate MMOs...but I love dopamine!"

Quote Originally Posted by Nixiuz View Post
    PvE servers have NEVER been as popular as PvP servers, it's not rocket science. Ganking is not good enough a reason to just go PvE...
    Like hell!
    I'm not paying money for someone else's shitty entertainment.

Speaking as a die-hard PvE player whose main goal in classic will be raid progression - the only thing that's more fun than world PvP is world PvP against people who are clearly raging about it.

Quote Originally Posted by Rafoel View Post
    Exactly. You want the whole "immersive huge world without group finder and all the stupid conveniences... except I don't want this huge element here, change that."
    Last edited by Choda; 2019-06-26 at 01:05 AM.
    You may now kiss the ring.

High Overlord
    3+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Shadowferal View Post
    Like hell!
    I'm not paying money for someone else's shitty entertainment.
    I didn't say don't play on PvE servers, that's always an option. Choose a PvE server and go there if you must with my full blessing and understanding, I won't make that choice for you which is the difference between me and those who seem to be anti-PvP servers and will TELL PvP players to go to PvE servers. I'm not like them. But PvP servers will have the larger crowds. There was some adequately populated PvE servers back in the day but I couldn't help notice the crowd bulging PvP servers either.

Brewmaster
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by MrA View Post
    I was thinking about this yesterday, and I believe people will underestimate the popularity of PvE servers this time around in WoW Classic.

The player base for Classic is getting older and doesn't have the time to spend getting ganked, camped, and other issues associated with a PvP server. They only have a few hours or so to play a day and don't want to spend half of it dead due to other players. Some will love and embrace the challenge but I think there will be a strong desire to play on a PvE server.

If you ever played the servers that should not be named, the PvP community is quite large and I could only find maybe 1 PvE only server. Most forums on those servers state that the want for a PvE server is very very small and not worth the effort to host.

In the essence of staying on topic, I believe that PvE servers will be very popular, and maybe to the point of being equal to PvP servers. What does everyone else think? Will it go the way of private servers and be 95% PvP or do you also think it will be roughly split down the middle?
    I'm the exact oposite. Ever since I joined WoW back in MoP I've exclusively played on PvE servers. Really dislike any form of PvP on any game but ever since blizzard introduced warmode I've been only playing with it turned on, it really changes how you see the world. It's world of WARcraft after all

10+ Year Old Account
    It's funny to me how those people who plan to roll a rogue on a pvp server just to "gank people" somehow don't think about being ganked themselves. I like to think that those players feel good of themselves when they kill someone who does a second raptor quest in STV, but will pop sprint, vanish, pots, whatever they have as soon as they see curse of agony on their head, calling it "unfair gank" and then sitting in stealth for 5 minutes waiting for vanish to come off cooldown
    Quote Originally Posted by Urban Dictionary
    Russians are a nation inhabiting territory of Russia an ex-USSR countries. Russians enjoy drinking vodka and listening to the bears playing button-accordions. Russians are open- and warm- hearted. They are ready to share their last prianik (russian sweet cookie) with guests, in case lasts encounter that somewhere. Though, it's almost unreal, 'cos russians usually hide their stuff well.

I always like to play games with those who gank me.

Revenge is fun, even if it ends up in failure.

It is a PvP realm for me.

- - - Updated - - -

Also, my memory is kinda vague about this but didn't we lose honour if we killed a low lvl player?
    Edit Signature.

10+ Year Old Account
    Think we're underrepresented. People who favor PvP servers go out of their way to shit on PvE servers, so I find most people just keep quiet rather than just get bashed for not wanting a murder sim in the open world.

My experience is that world pvp is rarely a fair contest. Sadly I'm unable to find joy in ganking, or being ganked. It just does nothing for me as a gameplay aspect. I still intend to rank up in PvP through battlegrounds, where I personally feel there's a more coherent, natural conflict to pursue.

It's not a problem if it's the case for all on the server.

Quote Originally Posted by Xykotic View Post
    Think we're underrepresented. People who favor PvP servers go out of their way to shit on PvE servers, so I find most people just keep quiet rather than just get bashed for not wanting a murder sim in the open world.

My experience is that world pvp is rarely a fair contest. Sadly I'm unable to find joy in ganking, or being ganked. It just does nothing for me as a gameplay aspect. I still intend to rank up in PvP through battlegrounds, where I personally feel there's a more coherent, natural conflict to pursue.
    Yes, people that like PVP will obviously go to forums and shit-talk people opting for PVE server. I don't find enjoyment in ganking anyone or being ganked for that matter either and world PVP is in 90% of cases never fair. I played on Wildhammer EU PVE server back in 2005-2007 and I did battlegrounds and ranked to rank 10 which I enjoyed. I will roll PVE server this time as well and do PVP in BGs later on. And I never found Southshore VS Tarren Mill fun at all since it's just a huge zergfest.

Also with 8.2 I initially started out with warmode on but after being corpsecamped by the same Druid for 20 minutes at flightmaster because of pure autism I turned off warmode as soon as I came to an inn.

I have never done any real PVP in my WoW career but would be very interested in trying it out. From what I've read in some class guides so far, both Druids and Warlocks seem to be very good at it. Throughout my (very short) BFA life, I always had WM on, engaged single enemy players when I saw them in the open world and never had any real problems with getting ganked, so I'm not too overly scared about that.

From a casual player's perspective, my main issue with playing on a PVP server is that I probably won't have much time to do any WPVP during the first year or so. Leveling is probably going to take at least a couple of months, then there are Dungeons and MC and I really want to try out BG's when they open. All of that is probably going to fill the entire next year.

And I'm also looking for a raiding guild that isn't hardcore pushing for any server first records, but taking it at a bit slower pace. These might be easier to find on PVE servers where there will be more casuals.

PvE may have been more popular on release originally, however PvP is definitely going to be more popular for classic release. As others have said, it's a unique aspect to the game you cant get on PvE servers.

If you are looking for the full Vanilla experience, then PvP server for sure.
    Yes it might suck that you get ganked once in a while, but this further encourages grouping up.
    Also world bosses disputes on a PvE server aren't really a thing.

I was a big fish in a small pond (good shadow priest on a low pop pvp realm) back in vanilla. Now I'm old and bad at pvp, but that won't stop me from rolling on a pvp realm for classic.
    Bandwagon sports fans can eat a bag of http://www.ddir.com/ .

15+ Year Old Account
    I think PvE will grow in popularity slowly at first and then be VERY popular 9 months to a year in after people get sick of high level gankers and the world pvp rave starts to die down.

I was PvE in vanilla and do not feel like I missed out too much. I have great memories of killing flagged players and being killed myself. I remember a NE hunter that I used to see all the time and we had a bit of a rivalry. Even flagged up and raided southshore several times.

However, this time I will go PvP as I am sure most will at first. When I was on a certain unnamed server recently I leveled a druid and lock and spent most my time on lock, I had to avoid STV as I couldn't quest more than 15-30 minutes without being ganked. I simply went to desolace and leveled there instead. That is the great thing about WoW, there are multiple zones around same level so you have options.
    This time I will speed level druid first and then lock so I can counter gank while leveling the lock and have stealth to help with the rush at launch. Stealth is such a nice QoL.
    “We are the music makers, and we are the dreamers of dreams.”