Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst
LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by bungeebungee View Post
    So, for American posters the Fourth of July is almost here. For most of us -- except for strange folks who live on the upside down part of the planet and think it is winter -- summer is here in full force. It might be summer break, you might have a vacation planned, you may simply be in a mood for BBQ and beer. I'll chime in later, but I don't want to start this off sounding like a blog post. It's meant to be a question and I'm interested in how the month is shaping up for posters who are scattered all over the place and have various backgrounds.

How does the month look for you, anything exciting? How about you strange folks on the upside down part of the planet who think it is winter? It seems too early for proper Christmas markets and I'd think the drop bears would be a problem!
    Most people cannot afford much anymore. Between the new tax increases on poor people by republicans last year and increased costs of housing. Increasing food prices and other commodities because, of these stupid useless tariffs that only hurt Americans. I can't afford to do anything or go anywhere. I work my 40 hours and that's all I get, money is gone after 2 weeks and I can't even save for retirement. Literally no money for BARELY health insurance which at the CHEAPEST plan is 215$ a month which is INSANITY and it's not even great. It's barely anything at all.

5+ Year Old Account
    I'm going up to Virginia on Friday to see some family, and we'll be enjoying the local AFB's fireworks show this Thursday, more than likely. Probably head to the local Sonic to watch it, as it's a great view and decent food (though having worked at that very Sonic before, I feel so bad for the SoB's on the inside; the 4th is absolute Hell to work). I also splurged and bought a pistol ('Murica) I've been eying for a long time (SIG P226 Legion SAO RX, for my fellow gunbros), and I'm waiting for that to get here. Also waiting for my name to go up on the building where I work...that'll be any day now.

Beyond that just working for the summer, and enjoying weekends as they come.

Brewmaster
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Galactis View Post
    Most people cannot afford much anymore. Between the new tax increases on poor people by republicans last year and increased costs of housing. Increasing food prices and other commodities because, of these stupid useless tariffs that only hurt Americans. I can't afford to do anything or go anywhere. I work my 40 hours and that's all I get, money is gone after 2 weeks and I can't even save for retirement. Literally no money for BARELY health insurance which at the CHEAPEST plan is 215$ a month which is INSANITY and it's not even great. It's barely anything at all.
    You're seriously blaming you being broke on the Republicans? Holy hell is that a reach. If you work 40 hrs a week and cant afford anything you must be making damn near minimum wage. The tariffs are a recent thing and it hasn't somehow made everything double the price. I honestly haven't really even noticed.

Quote Originally Posted by ghotihook View Post
    You're seriously blaming you being broke on the Republicans? Holy hell is that a reach. If you work 40 hrs a week and cant afford anything you must be making damn near minimum wage. The tariffs are a recent thing and it hasn't somehow made everything double the price. I honestly haven't really even noticed.
    They are partly to blame; however, the last 5 years have seen steady increases in the cost of food. Chicken especially is VERY expensive right now. Gasoline is slowly ticking up over the last 2 years, usually happens under Republicans and the 10 year cycle of buying big trucks and then the bottom crashes out once everyone buys a big truck gas shoots back up again. People are dumb!

Right now, 15$ an hour plus job commute and pay for parking is roughly 400$ a month 70 miles a day plus 160$ a month and gas costs about 185$ a month. I'm looking a buying a new car which will lower my costs but, when is the time that costs go down? I mean, can we once have a decreases in taxes, or a decrease in anything..... Just nuts. I can't afford to move out of my moms house... I don't even pay for my phone either, can't afford it.

I hate barbecue. It's too sweet 99% of the time so I don't even bother anymore. I'll cook my own spicy and cheddar brats but that's about it.

Quote Originally Posted by Jonnusthegreat View Post
    I hate barbecue. It's too sweet 99% of the time so I don't even bother anymore. I'll cook my own spicy and cheddar brats but that's about it.
    Usually yes; however, I like sweet but, with heat and tangy things. Like a good bbq chicken wing with a ginger, red pepper, and sweet honey glaze. Can't go wrong with 3 of the tongue sensations.

Usually yes; however, I like sweet but, with heat and tangy things. Like a good bbq chicken wing with a ginger, red pepper, and sweet honey glaze. Can't go wrong with 3 of the tongue sensations.
    Sounds good except that honey will probably ruin it for me. I will not eat any sweet food unless I'm starving. I hate chocolate and cookies and candy and etc.

Edit: I'll use honey every once in a while, but only small amounts and to thicken sauces.
    Last edited by Jonnusthegreat; 2019-07-01 at 02:46 PM.

Brewmaster
    10+ Year Old Account
    They are partly to blame; however, the last 5 years have seen steady increases in the cost of food. Chicken especially is VERY expensive right now. Gasoline is slowly ticking up over the last 2 years, usually happens under Republicans and the 10 year cycle of buying big trucks and then the bottom crashes out once everyone buys a big truck gas shoots back up again. People are dumb!

Right now, 15$ an hour plus job commute and pay for parking is roughly 400$ a month 70 miles a day plus 160$ a month and gas costs about 185$ a month. I'm looking a buying a new car which will lower my costs but, when is the time that costs go down? I mean, can we once have a decreases in taxes, or a decrease in anything..... Just nuts. I can't afford to move out of my moms house... I don't even pay for my phone either, can't afford it.
    I am not blaming Democrats or Republicans, but the Democrats have been in charge for 4 of the last 5 years you're complaining about. Gas is the same price it was 10 years ago, with inflation, actually cheaper. And right now the gas prices are lower than it it was for all of 2010-2014.

Most people don't pay $400 a month for parking. That is absolutely insane and has nothing to do with anything but your choice to work where you're working. My parking every day for work is free. If you're making $15/hr you're in the 12% Federal tax bracket which is less than the 15% tax bracket you were in a couple years ago.
    At $15/hr you should be taking home almost $2000 a month. Since you're living at home I doubt you're paying a lot in rent. While you're not going have loads of cash, you shouldn't be completely broke. This seems much more of a spending problem then a Republican problem.

Quote Originally Posted by ghotihook View Post
    I am not blaming Democrats or Republicans, but the Democrats have been in charge for 4 of the last 5 years you're complaining about. Gas is the same price it was 10 years ago, with inflation, actually cheaper. And right now the gas prices are lower than it it was for all of 2010-2014.

Most people don't pay $400 a month for parking. That is absolutely insane and has nothing to do with anything but your choice to work where you're working. My parking every day for work is free. If you're making $15/hr you're in the 12% Federal tax bracket which is less than the 15% tax bracket you were in a couple years ago.
    At $15/hr you should be taking home almost $2000 a month. Since you're living at home I doubt you're paying a lot in rent. While you're not going have loads of cash, you shouldn't be completely broke. This seems much more of a spending problem then a Republican problem.
    No no, I pay 160$ a month for parking plus 185$ for gas to and from work per month. Also, I can tell you factually 2010-2014 was some of the HIGHEST gas prices on record.

1840$ after taxes which is roughly 600$ in taxes. 214$ month for health insurance cheapest, 185$ month gas, 160 parking, 200 food, no rent, no phone, car insurance 100$ month, child support 278$ month, something else I'm forgetting. Roughly, if I buy a new car which will be about 300$ a month I'll be down to about 600$ leftover cash. That's without rent, utilities, phone cost, and unforeseen costs. That's less than pennies...

Also, Republican admin last year just raised taxes on people making less than 57k per year. They touted it as a tax decrease which was 2% or whatnot but, that's short term less which is not how it works. That tax decrease was for the rich people, which was 37.5% the government just lost 2 trillion in revenue. Of course, from the house bill 101 that I read, after 10 years that very same tax cut for americans making the least, will actually be paying about 550$ more annually.

THATS INSANE.

Struggling is not living..... The so called, "american dream". Because, you have to be asleep to believe it. Stroke me harder. lol

Brewmaster
    10+ Year Old Account
    No no, I pay 160$ a month for parking plus 185$ for gas to and from work per month. Also, I can tell you factually 2010-2014 was some of the HIGHEST gas prices on record.

1840$ after taxes which is roughly 600$ in taxes. 214$ month for health insurance cheapest, 185$ month gas, 160 parking, 200 food, no rent, no phone, car insurance 100$ month, child support 278$ month, something else I'm forgetting. Roughly, if I buy a new car which will be about 300$ a month I'll be down to about 600$ leftover cash. That's without rent, utilities, phone cost, and unforeseen costs. That's less than pennies...

Also, Republican admin last year just raised taxes on people making less than 57k per year. They touted it as a tax decrease which was 2% or whatnot but, that's short term less which is not how it works. That tax decrease was for the rich people, which was 37.5% the government just lost 2 trillion in revenue. Of course, from the house bill 101 that I read, after 10 years that very same tax cut for americans making the least, will actually be paying about 550$ more annually.

THATS INSANE.

Struggling is not living..... The so called, "american dream". Because, you have to be asleep to believe it. Stroke me harder. lol
    Child support...ouch! Can't say I've ever had to deal with that.
    So from what you've listed there you have roughly $1000/mo in bills. Not counting buying a new car. Your car insurance seems really high though, on my old car my liability was $40/mo. If your car is that bad I would drop the full coverage, but that's just my opinion. The worst thing you can do is have a car payment. It's a depreciating asset. Every car I've ever owned I've paid cash for. The last car before the one I own now I paid $7700 for Grand Prix that lasted me over 10 years. Take that saving and save up for a car cash.

I lived with my parents till I was 25. I was making $18/hr when I moved out and bought my house. That was after I paid back my $30k in student loans. I was incredibly detailed on my budget, but I didn't prevent me from taking vacations. I have a couple friends who are broke. Most of them are just poor at spending when you break it down. I am glad you get along with your parents and are able to live there rent free.

Quote Originally Posted by Methodd View Post
    Just had my back yard finished (new house) and plan to bbq at least twice a week. I'm still looking for good grilling tips for burgers.
    Personally I like putting a small amount of butter on the inside of the patty if you like thicker burgers. It helps keep the burger moist depending on the level of doneness someone wants.

I hate the summer heat so much, so very very much. I volunteered to work on the 4th of July because I don't want to be out in the summer heat on July 4th. I do like bbq'ed hamburgers and hotdogs though. I don't like camping but two things that are great about camping are that where I live, you usually go into the mountains to camp where its colder and cookouts of hamburgers and hotdogs over campfires.

THATS INSANE.

Yeah, what you are describing is a you problem nothing else. Child support(rather small amount all things considered and entirely your own doing), car insurance is high and more than double what I am paying for full coverage(how old are you, or have you had a lot of tickets?), health insurance is high if you are not getting it though your employer but the ACA only made that worse for everyone. Parking expenses are also a problem for you and you should be talking to your employer about getting compensated for that or find a different job, ideally one closer to where you live so you spend less on gas as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Nihilist74 View Post
    I hate the summer heat so much, so very very much. I volunteered to work on the 4th of July because I don't want to be out in the summer heat on July 4th. I do like bbq'ed hamburgers and hotdogs though. I don't like camping but two things that are great about camping are that where I live, you usually go into the mountains to camp where its colder and cookouts of hamburgers and hotdogs over campfires.
    Yeah, I hate hot weather. I feel like a true northerner because, I love winter. The only thing I hate about winter is paying for heat. I love snow, ice, frigid temps. I like to see people suffer, it's amusing.

5+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Jonnusthegreat View Post
    The North Carolinian in the room has to ask where you're getting your BBQ from. Geographically/regionally, I mean.

We do ours with pulled pork and a vinegar based "sauce," and it's almost alien to hear "it's too sweet" and BBQ in the same sentence. Though, BBQ is a contentious topic with us.

7+ Year Old Account
    Its gonna snow here tomorrow... A normal Scandinavian summer..

Quote Originally Posted by Reaper0329 View Post
    The North Carolinian in the room has to ask where you're getting your BBQ from. Geographically/regionally, I mean.

We do ours with pulled pork and a vinegar based "sauce," and it's almost alien to hear "it's too sweet" and BBQ in the same sentence. Though, BBQ is a contentious topic with us.
    Everywhere. Tennessee, Colorado, Wisconsin, Florida, it's all sweet garbage.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Methodd View Post
    Just had my back yard finished (new house) and plan to bbq at least twice a week. I'm still looking for good grilling tips for burgers.
    My experience is you get what you pay for. My wife bough a 12 pack of thin frozen burgers from (Aldi?) and I was cussing the whole time as they were breaking on the grill. You can still find decent frozen burgers but splurge for the 70/30.

3 minutes per side, and done.

Quote Originally Posted by Molis View Post
    My experience is you get what you pay for. My wife bough a 12 pack of thin frozen burgers from (Aldi?) and I was cussing the whole time as they were breaking on the grill. You can still find decent frozen burgers but splurge for the 70/30.

3 minutes per side, and done.
    70/30 is BAD Way too much fat and grease. I prefer 90/10 or 85/15, though I never buy premade burgers I make them from beef and add seasonings, and hot SAWCE. lol

Brewmaster
    7+ Year Old Account
    Im smoking chicken wings I cant stand grilling