Page 1 of 2
LastLast

Question Lord of the Reins

So i've been farming mounts for a while now, pretty casually though but farming non the less, and I'm close to reaching the long term goal i set back in Legion. The achievement 'Lord of the Reins' was my goal. After that my focus on mount farming will go down by a lot. But right now i feel like i've hit a road block. 9 mounts away from the achievement I can't figure out a way to get this done as fast as I can. I feel like i've gotten close to all of the 'easy' mounts (Vendor/rep mounts etc.) and also a few harder mount (ashes, invincible, elegon mount and such).

Maybe im missing out on some of the easier mounts? How did you guys get through the last part of this achievement and what was actually the mount that granted you the final push?

Curious to see how your journey to this went and maybe you can help me with the final push?
    Thanks

My character name is Cazle on EU realm Defias Brotherhood
    Last edited by Sjemiel; 2019-07-03 at 09:00 AM.

I don't mean to sound like an ass, but Lord of the Reins is awarded for 300 mounts and it's pretty easy to do these days, especially post BfA release and post 8.2 release. In fact, there are now achievements up to 400 mounts.

I recommend the site https://simplearmory.com/ put your name and realm there, and navigate to collectibles / mounts. This will list all the mounts available in the game in one screen, and you will be able to mouseover and click to open their wowhead pages.

If you want, you can also put your name/realm here, so I (and possibly others) could point you to some of the easier mounts to get you still dont have. Otherwise we don't really know what you're still missing so can't make any recommendations.
    Last edited by Azerate; 2019-07-03 at 08:42 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Azerate View Post
    I don't mean to sound like an ass, but Lord of the Reins is awarded for 300 mounts and it's pretty easy to do these days, especially post BfA release and post 8.2 release. In fact, there are now achievements up to 400 mounts.

I recommend the site simplearmory com put your name and realm there, and navigate to collectibles / mounts. This will list all the mounts available in the game in one screen, and you will be able to mouseover and click to open their wowhead pages.

If you want, you can also put your name/realm here, so I (and possibly others) could point you to some of the easier mounts to get you still dont have.
    I know it probably isnt that impressive anymore, but I think i can say that im extremely casual in the game. So for my personally its quiete an achievement and ill be happy when i get this done.

Thanks for the recommendation though! Ill use this to finish up the search!

I recommend the site https://simplearmory.com/ put your name and realm there, and navigate to collectibles / mounts. This will list all the mounts available in the game in one screen, and you will be able to mouseover and click to open their wowhead pages.

If you want, you can also put your name/realm here, so I (and possibly others) could point you to some of the easier mounts to get you still dont have. Otherwise we don't really know what you're still missing so can't make any recommendations.
    tbh even getting 300 mounts isn't "pretty easy", but it's hard and tedious af, especially if you're not doing 3s/rbg or have TCG items

Quote Originally Posted by RobertMugabe View Post
    tbh even getting 300 mounts isn't "pretty easy", but it's hard and tedious af, especially if you're not doing 3s/rbg or have TCG items
    Oh right I actually forgot about the vicious saddle mounts.. I dont have any of those and i dont have TCG mounts. So ill have to do it without those

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Cazle View Post
    You haven't said anything about number of alts so I'm gonne assume you don't have too many. (At least making a DH would help if you plan to farm things with a daily/weekly lockout). For the list below I'll be skipping anything on too hard of a lockout.

Ok, so some easy ones I see:

Classic
    1. Winterspring Frostsaber - grind rep with dailies in winterspring

Wrath
    2. Blue Proto - drops from Skadi in UP hc, daily reset
    3. Grand Ice Mammoth - this is a vendor mount from sons of hodir rep (exalted)
    4-12. You don't have 9 mounts from Argent Tournament. You can get them by just doing dailies for a while.
    13. White Polar Bear - that's a bit more obscure rep in Storm Peaks (Brunhildar) don't remember exactly but you might need exalted and a quest

Cata
    14. Slabhide (Stonecore dragon mount boss - doable on normal so you have unlimited attempts per day)
    15. Drake of the Northwind (same as above, but from VP dragon boss)
    16. Armored Razasshi (Mandokir in ZG HC - this one is on daily reset)
    17. Spectral Steed - Tol Barad tokens
    18. Drake of the West Wind - Tol Barad exalted for gold
    19. Vash jr Seahorse - this one you get by questing in Vash Jr automatically. Might be the easiest of all the ones I'm listing
    20. Flameward Hippogryph - doing dailies in molten front

Mop
    21. Heavenly Golden Cloud Serpent - Emperor Shaohao rep and 100k timeless coins
    22. Golden Primal Direhorn - kirin tor offensive rep exalted
    23. Thundering onyx cloud serpent - drops from huolon. It is 1% but you can try unlimited amount of times per day on a character.

Wod
    24. Armored IronTusk - Trading Post building mount - some gold and apex crystals
    25. Deathtusk Felboar - Tanaan rep exalted
    26. Corrupted Dreadwing - Tanaan rep exalted
    27. Shadowmane Charger - Arakkoa rep exalted
    28. Dusty Rockhide - Council of Exarchs exalted

Legion
    29, 30, 31. Predatory Bloodgazer, Snowfeather Hunter, Brilliant Direbeak - you get all of these via a questline that involves pet battling
    32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 - Mounts that drop from Argus elites and eggs - all of them are once a day per character, should be decently easy.
    38. Lightforged Warframe - 600k gold vendor

Bfa
    39, 40 - Dubloon mounts. Just run expeditions, you get from 2 to 10 dubloons per island.
    41-47 - Warfront elites mounts - they are on a once-per-warfront cycle (this might be a bit harder with low amount of alts)
    48, 49 - 2 mounts for the medals awarded for faction assaults
    50, 51, 52 - 3 frogs 333k each

Professions
    53. Depleted Kyparium ROcket - should be available on AH for about 50-80k
    54, 54. Two Archeology mounts, easy to solo without needing alts
    55, 56. Two Leatherworking mounts, fairly cheap and easy to solo

Other
    57. Paladin Only Argent Tournament Mount
    58. Blacksteel Battleboar - very easy, just join a guild which did guild glory of draenor raider and you can get it for 1000 gold
    59-63. Timewalking mounts that you can get for badges. This may take long, but is easy to solo without needing alts
    64, 64. Darkmoon faire 180 ticket mounts - doable within 1-2 faires.

PS.
    65. Great Sea Ray - Fishing in BfA, most people get it in under 50 casts, really easy.
    Last edited by Azerate; 2019-07-03 at 09:46 AM.

Simple Armory seems to think you're quite a bit further away than 9 but this might be alts having legion class mounts etc. Where are you getting the 291? The ingame mount menu is inaccurate, look at your statistics pane (open, your achievement menu, click the tab and scroll right down the bottom) or look at the achievement progress bar.

Assuming 9 is correct here are the easiest to go for (also assuming you don't want to spend any money/gold or group up with people or be good. Pretty much my own criteria when playing).

Dungeon mounts (repeatable): Stonecore (Vitreous Stone Drake)/Vortex Pinnacle (Drake of the North Wind) both have a mount that drops on normal. You can clear this 10 times an hour.

Killing rares/mobs/dungeons with lockouts:
    Utgarde Pinnacle (Blue Protodrake)/Zul'Gurub (Razzashi Raptor) have a mount on heroic (once a day)
    Arathi Highlands/Darkshore when you control it still have 7 rare drop mounts (Highland Mustang, Witherbark Direwing, Lil' Donkey in Arathi; Caged Bear, Umber Nightsaber, Kaldorei Nightsaber, Ashenvale Chimera in Darkshore)
    Argus still has 6 mounts you're missing (Maddened Chaos Runner, Lambent Mana Ray, Biletooth Gnasher, Vile Fiend from rares and 2 more from Fel-Spotted Egg)

Current Brawler's Guild - don't need to hit max rank so not that hard

Achievements
    The Stable Master - WoD garrison mount from stables, you have all the other mounts so you should be eligible to get this one, too.
    Glory of the Hero, Glory of the Cataclysm Hero - currently missing lots of achievements but most of these should be pretty easy (Share the Love no longer required for Glory of the Hero makes it trivial)

Grinds
    Fishing - Conjurer Margoss (Brinedeep Bottom Feeder)
    Pond Nettle
    Great Sea Ray (easiest)
    Three other fishing mounts (Sea Turtle/Riding Turtle/Crimson Water Strider) are much longer grinds (not worth the effort when so many others to go for)

Time-gated grinds (can't just smash them out today)
    Reps - Kirin Tor Offensive, Emperor Shaohao (well, you could do emperor today but why would you), Sha'Tari Defense, Hand of the Prophet, Council of Exarchs, Arakkoa Outcasts
    Special Currency - 2 from invasion medals, 2 from island dubloons, 9 from Crusader Seals (argent tournament), 2 from Baradin's Wardens (Tol Barad dailies)
    Quests - Winterspring Frostsaber, Kuafon (I can see you must have a horde character as well so this is an option), Scrapforged Mechaspider, Falcosaur mounts x 4 (need some battle pets)
    Raids - Horridon in Throne of Thunder, Azure Drake in Eye of Eternity (there are more but these are the quickest runs)

Hope that helps!

Quote Originally Posted by weaselb View Post
    Simple Armory seems to think you're quite a bit further away than 9 but this might be alts having legion class mounts etc. Where are you getting the 291? The ingame mount menu is inaccurate, look at your statistics pane (open, your achievement menu, click the tab and scroll right down the bottom) or look at the achievement progress bar.
    Actually, that made me think of something. Make sure you are looking at the correct count. Not the one in the in-game mount menu. This lists all your mounts across factions. The easiest way is to see how many you have by tracking the achievement itself.

Quote Originally Posted by RobertMugabe View Post
    Well, everyone considers different things hard, but if mount farming is really something you enjoy, then no, reaching 300, or even 400 is not that hard and does not require really any TCG, store or promotional discontinued mounts.
    Last edited by Azerate; 2019-07-03 at 09:57 AM.

Just took a look through your not collected listed and these are ones I can remember sources for that I think may be worth trying for. A lot are time consuming rather than hard as you need to collect the relevant currency.

Argent Charger can be purchased by Paladins at the Argent Tournament for 100 seals - again time consuming rather than hard as you need to collect the Seals as currency.

Argent Warhorse can be purchased at Argent Tournament for 100 seals. It can be purchased/used by any character (not just paladins like the charger)

Ashenvale Chimaera - drops in Darkshore from rare spawn - Only killable once ever couple of weeks per character.

Azure Drake - Drop from Eye of Eternity - do 10 man normal it's faster

Azureshell Krolusk - purchased 200 service medals - you should be getting these medals just playing a max level character.

Black War Mammoth - purchased for Mark of Honour - you may have some from legion if you did the PVE(P) towers WQ

Blackpaw - Another rare spawn drop in Darkshore

Blazing Drake - Drops in Dragonsoul - (Also life-binders handmaiden - both are needed for another achievement which gives the Emerald Drake)

Bloodbathed Frostbrood Vanquisher - ICC 10 man glory achievement

Blue Proto-Drake - Drop from Utgarde Pinnacle

Brilliant Direbeak and the feather raptor mounts. Start a quest at each of the raptor areas in Legion (4 different) complete daily quests and get a mount - require pet battles

Brinedeep Bottom-Feeder - Fishing on the floating island beside Broken Shore Dalaran. May be harder now but you may find people still listing groups fishing for the currency as it goeas a lot quicker in a large group.

Broken Highland Mustang/Highland Mustang - rare drop in Arathi (depends on your faction and you learn both - but only counts once as faction specific)

Corrupted Fire Hawk - Glory of Firelands raider - will require a group for at least one of the achievements (The kneeling one needs 6 people)

Crimson Water Strider - lots of fishing in Draenor

Experiment 12-B - another dragonsoul drop

ice Mammoths -Son of Hodor rep in The Storm peaks

Pond Neetle - Just lots of fishing in Argus

Sea Turtle/Riding Turtle - both fishable in you garrison - may be groups in group finder as easier (still rare) with multiple people spawning the mob that drops them from fishing

Spectral Steed - baradin hold tokens - time consuming rather than hard

Vitreous Stone Drake - Drop in Stonecore

White Polar Bear - can drop from the reward bag for the dailies in Brunhildar in Storm Peaks

Winterspring Frostsaber is guaranteed after doing quests in Winterspring - not hard just time consuming.

Argent torunament - I mentioned some above - There are a lot of mounts here but you need to be exalted with the relevant Alliance factions to buy them - Just time consuming at 100 seals each.

Darkmoon Mounts - take various numbers of tokens and there is one that can be bought for fish you catch in the zone

Timewalking mounts - Cost a lot but you get 500 with a one time quest each time timewalking is up so do one dungeon for that quest each time and lower levels can do this depending on which Expansion the week is for.

(seriously hate how easy it is to time out here while doing a post)

Looking at your armory a few batches that are fairly easy to get you missed :

-The different colors of Temple of Ahn Quiraj Battle Tanks, drops from trash (usually a lot)
    -All the Argent Tournament mounts (as a Paladin you can even get one more than others), you'll have to grind dailies and stuff for the currency
    -All the Netherwing drakes (a bit of a rep grind)
    -Several Shop mounts (IRL grind?)
    -Garn
    -the 2 Dalaran Mammoths from WotLK
    -Winterspring saber (quest/rep grind)
    -Some of the Timewalking ones you can buy
    "It is every citizen's final duty to go into the tanks, and become one with all the people."

~ Chairman Sheng-Ji Yang, "Ethics for Tomorrow"

Quote Originally Posted by weaselb View Post
    I'm looking at the progress bar that appears in game underneath the actual achievement, which is at 291/300. I have every class at least at level 110 with a couple of them also having their class mounts (Warrior, paladin, DH, warlock, hunter, monk) Also when i get a new mount i log over to my dark iron dwarf paladin so i get an extra mount counted (since they have the old paladin mounts and the new ones. I mean the old charger and upgraded version of the charger and the new paladin Ram) This should be added to what simple armory shows.

Thanks for the list! Ill take a close look when i can get back in game and get the last push done.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Chairman Sheng-Ji Yang View Post
    Looking at your armory a few batches that are fairly easy to get you missed :

-The different colors of Temple of Ahn Quiraj Battle Tanks, drops from trash (usually a lot)
    -All the Argent Tournament mounts (as a Paladin you can even get one more than others), you'll have to grind dailies and stuff for the currency
    -All the Netherwing drakes (a bit of a rep grind)
    -Several Shop mounts (IRL grind?)
    -Garn
    -the 2 Dalaran Mammoths from WotLK
    -Winterspring saber (quest/rep grind)
    -Some of the Timewalking ones you can buy
    What armory are you looking at if i may ask? Simplearmory or blizzard armory?

Because i noticed a few mounts you mentioned i do actually have collected:
    - I got all AQ battle tank mounts, except for the legendary one
    - I indeed dont have the argent tournament mounts
    - The netherwing mounts are all collected
    - I dont really wanna get ALL the store mounts, i only wanna buy those with real money that i actually like.
    - Garn? You mean Garn Nighthowl? That one is collected
    - Missing 1 mammoth from the Sons of Hodir rep, which is work in progress. Also i found out im missing a mammoth mount from marks of honor out of wintergrasp, so thats one i should get.
    - Winterspring saber i need to do too, thanks
    - Thats true, i dont have any of the timewalking mounts.

Thanks for your comment! Ill take a look when i have the possibilty to log in again.

Maybe im missing out on some of the easier mounts? How did you guys get through the last part of this achievement and what was actually the mount that granted you the final push?

Hard to tell. I had 400 mounts in the day Blizz added that achievement ingame.

Quote Originally Posted by kappalol View Post
    Hard to tell. I had 400 mounts in the day Blizz added that achievement ingame.
    Really? When did they actually add the achievement? Like the first of the series?

Really? When did they actually add the achievement? Like the first of the series?
    The 400 one was added in legion I think

We got 350 and 400 with BfA prepatch

Just wait for 8.3 and the dozens of new reskinned mounts coming in different colors it will bring

65. Great Sea Ray - Fishing in BfA, most people get it in under 50 casts, really easy.

Please cite a source for this joke of a statement.

Quote Originally Posted by Rezark View Post
    Please cite a source for this joke of a statement.
    Your post sounded very bizarre to me, so I went to wowhead and it seems you are actually onto something (https://www.wowhead.com/item=163131/...a-ray#comments). People are saying that the drop rate has been changed because people were getting the mount too quickly, which kind of makes sense.

Right after the BfA release, most people were getting that mount before maxing their fishing skill. According to the wowhead comments, this has now been changed and people are going 1000 casts dry in some cases.

I guess that's a lesson to do things as soon as possible if they are easy, you never know.

Odd thing about this title is that with some of the gender specific titles, they do both male and female(please don't give me crap about non binary). But for this one, they do not. I tweeted to Celestalon about this fact when it was first revealed and got no reply. Still strange.

And to join in with the person up above, I also had the 400 mount achievement when it was released.

Quote Originally Posted by Koochulu View Post
    Odd thing about this title is that with some of the gender specific titles, they do both male and female(please don't give me crap about non binary). But for this one, they do not. I tweeted to Celestalon about this fact when it was first revealed and got no reply. Still strange.

And to join in with the person up above, I also had the 400 mount achievement when it was released.
    "Lady of the Reins" kind of ruins the tongue in cheek Tolkien reference.
    Xal'atath whispers: Your allies consider me a bad influence. Yet all I've ever done is speed you along the path you chose.