Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    Opinion: The World Cup might be over, but we aren't nearly done with USWNT's stars

The World Cup has ended and the wildly popular and successful Americans are on their way home. Their remarkable story, however, is far from finished. Their next battles, and their next victories, will come not on a soccer field, but in the far more vital venue of American culture. U.S. women’s national team fans, I bring great news: we are not done with them, nor are they done with us.

A few predictions: they will win equal pay from the U.S. Soccer federation. They deserve to be paid more than the U.S. men, but they’ll settle for equality. After the month they just had, come on. If you were going to devise a strategy for this team to get to the bargaining table with maximum leverage, what happened over the last four weeks would be it, exactly.

They will not go to the White House. They will go to the U.S. Capitol, where they will be feted by Speaker of the House Nancy Pelosi and more than 100 female members of Congress and 25 women Senators (and presumably some of the men too). Can you imagine the red, white and blue photo ops for those politicians? Campaign ads will be born that day.

One of the reasons the U.S. players will be so present in our lives is because they can’t go away. They have another tournament, right away. Hello, Tokyo. The soccer tournament at the 2020 Summer Olympic Games starts 54 weeks from today, and the CONCACAF qualifying process will begin in a matter of months.

FIFA already have to pay enough in bribes without paying the players more than they already do.
    Quote Originally Posted by Shalcker View Post
    Posting here is primarily a way to strengthen your own viewpoint against common counter-arguments.

Quote Originally Posted by Break The Ice View Post
    Second rate athletes get second rate pay. Truly surprising. When they can generate similar reveune to mens football then they'll have a point about being unfairly compensated.
    Your profile picture is accurate because you are in fact, a clown.

The women’s team actually is now making comparable money to the men’s team.
    change can't wait.

10+ Year Old Account
    Also, there seemingly are two different complaints at large here.

Earlier in the year the US women's team got into it with the US football federation over such disparities.

But these chants and, specifically, the Megan's remarks aimed Fifa were about the prize money. That prize money has nothing to do with US football, it's World Cup money.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Socialhealer View Post
    So you want the women's teams to be paid like 200% of the actual income the event generates, so running the event actually loses them hundreds of millions? ok you're in charge you run the event because no-one else is going to burn millions running it for a huge loss.

I mean use your brain, a $400m pot for an event that made $131m, any 10 year old can tell you that's not happening.
    Sounds like an excellent argument for cutting the pay of the mens' team.
    Quote Originally Posted by Marjane Satrapi
    The world is not divided between East and West. You are American, I am Iranian, we don't know each other, but we talk and understand each other perfectly. The difference between you and your government is much bigger than the difference between you and me. And the difference between me and my government is much bigger than the difference between me and you. And our governments are very much the same.

Quote Originally Posted by Elegiac View Post
    Sorry, I can't hear you over the womens' soccer team winning more than the mens'.
    They play in a league that's less competitive. It's like being the smartest retard in class, but you're ok with that.

Quote Originally Posted by Gilrak View Post
    US woman bring in more than the men.

If she is talking about the prize money, then I agree it should be based on the performance... which is way higher at the mens anyway(and more comptetive with no 1 country dominating).
    Well there is something that must be considered... women get a salary regardless of if they're picked while men draw only a bonus and only if they play.

Quote Originally Posted by Queen of Hamsters View Post
    A case can be made that male soccer players are overpaid, but when have you ever seen kids willingly give up bigger lollies for smaller ones so that other kids can have equally big lollies?
    I've not seen kids earn lollies from their jobs so no.

Quote Originally Posted by Gilrak View Post
    US woman bring in more than the men.

If she is talking about the prize money, then I agree it should be based on the performance... which is way higher at the mens anyway(and more comptetive with no 1 country dominating).
    I have no problem with pay based on the profitability of the team - it's a sport for the entertainment of others.

I doubt we'd like getting into the discussion of performance differences between men and women and what that really means under the lens of critical thinking. Safe to say winning games or getting medals isn't the only factor in consideration of how well a team is performing, given men and women aren't competing against each other, their pay could not be equalized based on performance unless some other variables are included (the fact that male sports are of much higher physical performance than women).

Sounds like an excellent argument for cutting the pay of the mens' team.
    except the men's event brings in $6000m, while the women's brings in $131m.

sounds like you don't get basic math, the men are actually under rewarded for the world cup compared to the women.

sounds like you want the men to fund the prize pool of the women's world cup because vagina and tits.

sounds like the opposite of equality, fairness or logic.
    Last edited by Socialhealer; 2019-07-08 at 10:42 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Raybourne View Post
    I have no problem with pay based on the profitability of the team - it's a sport for the entertainment of others.

I doubt we'd like getting into the discussion of performance differences between men and women and what that really means under the lens of critical thinking. Safe to say winning games or getting medals isn't the only factor in consideration of how well a team is performing, given men and women aren't competing against each other, their pay could not be based on performance unless some other variables are included.
    You wanna talk performance? The women won two world cups back to back, the men didn’t even get into 2018.

Why are you against equal pay? Is it simply to play the devil’s advocate?

Because the devil doesn’t need an advocate.
    change can't wait.

Quote Originally Posted by crewskater View Post
    They play in a league that's less competitive. It's like being the smartest retard in class, but you're ok with that.
    I don't know, seemed to me like they didn't exactly make things easy for one-another in those games.
    And I don't believe that the immediate step below "manly competitiveness" is "retard level". In fact, I'm pretty sure that female soccer players would represent the group of women that indeed are very competitive.

Just noting one of the people involved in this:

Morgan explained to Time that the responsibilities for a women’s soccer player exceed their male counterparts.

“We have to do more in general–we have to be the athlete, we have to be the role model, we have to lead the way for the next generation,” Morgan explained to Time. “Are male athletes doing that? Are they thinking about anyone other than themselves? I don’t know. We do have more than one job within this role, and are getting paid much less.”
    Well... she sound sexist... men don't have to be role models? Men don't "lead the next generation" what the fuck is she on about?

10+ Year Old Account

sounds like you don't get basic math, the men are actually under rewarded for the world cup compared to the women.
    What's the incentive for women to play soccer, then?
    Quote Originally Posted by Marjane Satrapi
    The world is not divided between East and West. You are American, I am Iranian, we don't know each other, but we talk and understand each other perfectly. The difference between you and your government is much bigger than the difference between you and me. And the difference between me and my government is much bigger than the difference between me and you. And our governments are very much the same.

I've not seen kids earn lollies from their jobs so no.
    Same principle, older human beings.

Quote Originally Posted by united View Post
    Why are you against equal pay?
    Because they're not comparable. They don't deserve equal pay if they're not doing the same work. However that's only if we have to apply some version of equity - I'm more than happy to see women making more if they bring in more revenue.

sounds like you want the men to fund the prize pool of the women's world cup because vagina and tits.

sounds like the opposite of equality, fairness or logic.
    you’re really talking about equality when you’re defending the women getting paid less? what’s wrong with you?
    change can't wait.

What's the incentive for women to play soccer, then?
    The game itself, one would have to imagine. Never underestimate dedication.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by united View Post
    You wanna talk performance? The women won two world cups back to back, the men didn’t even get into 2018.

Why are you against equal pay? Is it simply to play the devil’s advocate?

Because the devil doesn’t need an advocate.
    I see what you're saying, however Women's World Cup and Men's World Cup are two different things, and I don't just mean what genatalia the players have.

Quote Originally Posted by Raybourne View Post
    Because they're not comparable. They don't deserve equal pay if they're not doing the same work.
    Lol. The women are doing more work than the men, by your logic they should be paid more.
    change can't wait.