Page 6 of 11 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Qnubi View Post
    Because that has worked in the past 10 years? People like you just sweep everything away with basic advise, like, duh, don't you think people haven't been doing it? It's not working.
    It hasn't been tried in the past 10 years.

Quote Originally Posted by Noradin View Post
    It hasn't been tried in the past 10 years.
    Parents lecturing their children not to eat sweets? I think that is happening far longer than 10 years.

Quote Originally Posted by Sunseeker View Post
    Did you also go gluten free Mr Garrison?
    Not yet... if he had... he would have told you.
    Quote Originally Posted by Elim Garak View Post
    No fucking way. The worst idea since democracy.

Parents lecturing their children not to eat sweets? I think that is happening far longer than 10 years.
    What's really hard is telling your child's grandparents, "Effectively your parents". TO STOP GIVING THEM CRAP! Then they quip back and say, "Well you had it when you were a kid". Well guess what, "Now I am the parent and I don't want my child to have crap". Just because, someone else had it and now that a parent does not want their child to have the crap, why is it magically fine? I can't stand that, pisses me off every time.

Quote Originally Posted by Ghostpanther View Post
    There is one thing about the English here in the US. It can vary a lot across the nation. And the way we phrase stuff. For example, if you ask someone down in Kentucky, if they would like a beer, they might respond with," I ain't caring". You would think that would not be a yes or they do not care ether way. But it actually means they would like one. lol!
    OMG... I thought he was saying, "I ain't Karen"... and Karen's a bitch who doesn't like beer... so yes.
    Quote Originally Posted by Elim Garak View Post
    No fucking way. The worst idea since democracy.

Quote Originally Posted by Galactis View Post
    What's really hard is telling your child's grandparents, "Effectively your parents". TO STOP GIVING THEM CRAP! Then they quip back and say, "Well you had it when you were a kid". Well guess what, "Now I am the parent and I don't want my child to have crap". Just because, someone else had it and now that a parent does not want their child to have the crap, why is it magically fine? I can't stand that, pisses me off every time.
    I dont understand what you are trying to say, nobody said anything about children talking back?

I dont understand what you are trying to say, nobody said anything about children talking back?
    I'm just stating a situation from past experiences is all. My bad.

Herald of the Titans
    10+ Year Old Account
    ... no. Go away authoritarian.
    O Flora, of the moon, of the dream. O Little ones, O fleeting will of the ancients. Let the hunter be safe. Let them find comfort. And let this dream, their captor, Foretell a pleasant awakening

10+ Year Old Account
    Water isn't a beverage.
    Quote Originally Posted by Marjane Satrapi
    The world is not divided between East and West. You are American, I am Iranian, we don't know each other, but we talk and understand each other perfectly. The difference between you and your government is much bigger than the difference between you and me. And the difference between me and my government is much bigger than the difference between me and you. And our governments are very much the same.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Flarelaine View Post
    Now I like kale in its place, but that's a creepy shade of green for a drink.
    True, green drinks are atypical. One can work their way into it, kiwi juice, branca mentha, and what ever goes into Green River Soda!

Government Affiliated Snark

Its amusing that people read so little of history that Prohibition is now beginning to be forgotten and we're trending towards making that mistake all over again.
    TO FIX WOW:1. smaller server sizes & server-only LFG awarding satchels, so elite players help others. 2. "helper builds" with loom powers - talent trees so elite players cast buffs on low level players XP gain, HP/mana, regen, damage, etc. 3. "helper ilvl" scoring how much you help others. 4. observer games like in SC to watch/chat (like twitch but with MORE DETAILS & inside the wow UI) 5. guild leagues to compete with rival guilds for progression (with observer mode).6. jackpot world mobs.

7+ Year Old Account
    The answer is "No." There a multitude of reasons why, the most obvious being the word "ban". With the exception of child nutrition, what people consume is none of anyone else's business. Period.

Quote Originally Posted by tikcol View Post
    Ban all the things!
    No! I love that mod!

Quote Originally Posted by Galactis View Post
    Drink water then? lol
    Better yet, people could, you know, mind their own business.

Assuming we magically could I would still say no. People have the right to treat themselves even if some over do it.

I know this sounds drastic, but imo we would increase the global health by quite a substantial amount if all drinks except water would be banned. Obviously tea could still be sold in a pure way with no sugar added. I strongly believe the greatest problem we have in modern health society are sugared and alcoholic drinks. If they were all banned it would make the world population more healthy. 10 years ago I quit all alcoholic and sugary drinks and not only did I lose weight without doing any exercise or changing diet apart from that, I also noticed less stomach/headaches and my skin became more smooth and clean.

Even junkfood has some value to the body in terms of minerals/vitamins. Sugary drinks and alcoholic beverages don't have such an impact. So, imo there is no downside to ban those things and nothing of value is lost.
    I guess you do not include human dignity and individuality alongside personal taste and freedom when you use the word "nothing of value."

Also, from those of us who get a lot of exercise, leave sugar alone. The bigger problem with the world today is not sugar, it is that we are all sitting still in front of a computer.

So the general consensus is actually that, yes it is bad, but we should not enforce anything that is bad to be banned. Also, financial gain seems to be more important than general health of the population. Some people also suggest heavily taxing these things which will just make people pay more to feel worse. Sugar does have an addictive effect on a few people, just like gambling has a strong effect on some people. Why don't we feel the need to protect these people? It is VERY unlikely that someone that exclusively drinks soda/energy drinks to just wake up one day and say screw it, I am gonna buy water now. I have also talked to people that are 30+ and asked them if they know that only drinking soda/energy drinks is super bad. And they acknowledge it but choose to continue because they "taste" so good and/or are addicted to the sugary rush. High sugar products should at least have warnings like cigarettes do and be for 18+ only. I only included sugary drinks for now but in general would want also sugary food to be more prohibited. It is not beneficial to our society to have these things, at all.
    Who the fuck are you, the health police? Everyone would just ignore that stupid ban anyway. And then what? Criminalize people who drink soda? Put them in jail, make them pay heavy fines? This must be one of the worst ideas I've ever heard of

7+ Year Old Account
    I know this sounds drastic, but imo we would increase the global health by quite a substantial amount if all drinks except water would be banned. Obviously tea could still be sold in a pure way with no sugar added. I strongly believe the greatest problem we have in modern health society are sugared and alcoholic drinks. If they were all banned it would make the world population more healthy. 10 years ago I quit all alcoholic and sugary drinks and not only did I lose weight without doing any exercise or changing diet apart from that, I also noticed less stomach/headaches and my skin became more smooth and clean.

Even junkfood has some value to the body in terms of minerals/vitamins. Sugary drinks and alcoholic beverages don't have such an impact. So, imo there is no downside to ban those things and nothing of value is lost.
    Nobody has the right to prevent another person from having a beverage. Myself I drink a lot of milk which is very sugary. It's yummy and has a lot of protein.

No. The answer is education. Teach kids early. I don't mean teaching them basic nutrition once in school, but shove it in their face constantly. Teach them consistently about diet and exercise. Make it important like wearing a seat belt or not smoking.

10+ Year Old Account
    I don't really see the obsession with sin taxes, all stick and no carrot isn't a particularly effective model: https://www.usnews.com/opinion/blogs...weigh-benefits

Instead of taxing consumers, why not create economic incentives for companies to use healthier options? It would be an uphill battle given lobbying, but creating increased demand in other sectors should then weaken the grip of less healthy products on the supply chain.
    With COVID-19 making its impact on our lives, I have decided that I shall hang in there for my remaining days, skip some meals, try to get children to experiment with making henna patterns on their skin, and plant some trees. You know -- live, fast, dye young, and leave a pretty copse. I feel like I may not have that quite right.

The Unstoppable Force Ghostpanther's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by bungeebungee View Post
    I don't really see the obsession with sin taxes, all stick and no carrot isn't a particularly effective model: https://www.usnews.com/opinion/blogs...weigh-benefits

Instead of taxing consumers, why not create economic incentives for companies to use healthier options? It would be an uphill battle given lobbying, but creating increased demand in other sectors should then weaken the grip of less healthy products on the supply chain.
    I see your point. And this is not meant to be a rebuttal of your post, but more of a point....

Sugary drinks are not unhealthy per say. They are if you consume too much, are overweight, suffer from high blood sugar, etc. But that is true with a lot of products we eat. Sugar is not a toxic substance. As fat is not. But consumption of ether in large amounts can be unhealthy for some. I say that, because some do not suffer from any serous side effects of consuming large amounts of it. Such as Warren Buffet, who has drank 5 cans of coke a day for decades. He is 84. How long does the average person live?
    " If destruction be our lot, we must ourselves be its author and finisher.." - Abraham Lincoln
    The Constitution be never construed to authorize Congress to - prevent the people of the United States, who are peaceable citizens, from keeping their own arms..” - Samuel Adams

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Winter Blossom View Post
    I don’t think they should, no. I agree with sugary drinks being taxed more, though.
    Nah parents should be able to buy their kids juice and milk without paying a sugar tax.