BOTM is in desperate need of attention

And not just because of Ryzen 3000.

Pretty much everything short of the PSU, case and... DVD(?) is extremely outdated. I dont think I can remember a time where I've felt that "Oh, the BOTM page is actually fairly good now", and its a shame, considering how many people actually use it.

I know theres been a lot of complains about the BOTM page in the past, but right now I feel like its in a very sad state.

Examples;

The AMD options above the builds. Only X470 motherboards? Seems like a waste of money. When was this updated, before B450 launched?

Puppy / Dolphin
    - Cooler master 212 Evo recommended for a 1500x - waste of money. 1500x arguably outdated at this point as well, especially when the build has a B450 board.
    - Same ram on Puppy and Dolphin, but listed with 2 different prices. 45$ on Puppy, 72$ on Dolphin. 70$ gets you 16gb ram these days as well.
    - A 1050 is a waste of money when you can take the 30$ you saved on the cooler to buy a RX570 instead.
    - Can undertstand the storage on Puppy as that build is meant to be as cheap as possible, but a 115$ WD Black HDD on Dolphin? Can get 1tb m.2 for the same price.
    - 8400 for 179$? At least switch it to a 9400F, which goes for 150$-ish.

Narwhal
    - New GFX cards aside.. "1660 OR 2060"? 200$ OR 350$? Wheres the middle ground?
    - Again on the storage front. 30$ or 105$? For 2 SSDs that are pretty much the same (Same-ish size). Also looks like a storage build from 2017, when SSD prices were extremely high. If you spend 200$ on storage today, you can get like 1.5 - 2tb of SSD storage.

Unicorn
    - We're still on a 9600K, but this time a monstrous NH-D15 is recommended. Feels kind of pointless.
    - Why is a 250gb Samsung PRO SSD recommended? 200$ for 250gb? What is this, 2013? I bought a 840 PRO for 200$ in 2013. Surely you can come up with something better than that. 300$ and you get 250gb of SSD, and 2tb of HDD storage. Think about that for a second. Now, look at this

Now, all this is before even touching the chipsets and updated GPU's. With Ryzen 3000 on the board, its definitely time for a complete overhaul of the BOTM site. With the great builds we've seen on these boards lately, its time to get some of the advice given here to the BOTM page.

So give me your best shot, and try to stay within the pricerange set by the current builds.
    Last edited by Hoofey; 2019-07-26 at 01:35 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    The Build of the Month has been quite shit for a while. They should just remove it at this point. But they won't due to referral money.

As always the best way to figure out which PC is best for your specific needs and budget is to make a thread in the computer forum. Using the standardized form.
    Inactive Wow Player Raider.IO | Inactive D3 Player | Permanent Retired EVE Player | Inactive Wot Player | Retired Openraid Raid Leader| Inactive Overwatch Player | Inactive HotS player | Youtube / Twitter | Steam | My Setup

Quote Originally Posted by Saphyron View Post
    The Build of the Month has been quite shit for a while. They should just remove it at this point. But they won't due to referral money.
    I have no issues with them making some bucks from this with affiliate links, which I think most of us dont. But the way it is now.. its just pure laziness, which leads to bad advice.

There are plenty of people here who wouldnt mind helping out and actually make the BOTM page worth looking at, but there is usually no response when it comes to it.
    If we knew what items, what sites\stores we could use, I can guarantee that the builds we come up with would be a hundred times better than the mismatched crap we see there now. And the site would be much better off with it.

Some communication would be nice.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Hoofey View Post
    I have no issues with them making some bucks from this with affiliate links, which I think most of us dont. But the way it is now.. its just pure laziness, which leads to bad advice.

There are plenty of people here who wouldnt mind helping out and actually make the BOTM page worth looking at, but there is usually no response when it comes to it.
    If we knew what items, what sites\stores we could use, I can guarantee that the builds we come up with would be a hundred times better than the mismatched crap we see there now. And the site would be much better off with it.

Some communication would be nice.
    Problem with it is it would only be a general guide and still not worth following because each person has different needs and price points.

But I agree they are way to outdated and that means people get bad advice.
    Inactive Wow Player Raider.IO | Inactive D3 Player | Permanent Retired EVE Player | Inactive Wot Player | Retired Openraid Raid Leader| Inactive Overwatch Player | Inactive HotS player | Youtube / Twitter | Steam | My Setup

Quote Originally Posted by Saphyron View Post
    Problem with it is it would only be a general guide and still not worth following because each person has different needs and price points.
    Thats why I feel like the page needs a complete overhaul. This whole Puppy\Unicorn stuff is just silly. A more general pc-buying guide with some (2-3/low-mid-high end) examples of gaming and productivity builds would be so much better. Hell, you could still use affiliate links in the examples, even though most people just use whatever shop is closest/in the same country as they are.

But I guess thats too much effort.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Hoofey View Post
    Thats why I feel like the page needs a complete overhaul. This whole Puppy\Unicorn stuff is just silly. A more general pc-buying guide with some (2-3/low-mid-high end) examples of gaming and productivity builds would be so much better. Hell, you could still use affiliate links in the examples, even though most people just use whatever shop is closest/in the same country as they are.

But I guess thats too much effort.
    I agree with you. But it is also quite a bit of work.

I do work with pc's on the side. Used to have a job building pc's for people. now I just do it as a hobby and make a little something on the side.
    But I once every 3-4 month(sometimes longer) update my recommended build list.

Which reminds me need to soon.

But it is quite a bit of work.