Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    *Puts on my purist hat* The game isn't true vanilla experience anyway, I mean, the hell are we starting with 1.12 talents? I want my utter garbage dog shit skills and talents from 1.5 etc. *takes the hat off...* I don't care. There'll be bugs regarding other features as well. I don't lose it if my hogger group gets shafted and I need to try again.

Quote Originally Posted by Elrihm View Post
    Oh, this thread again..

*Yawn*
    topic should have ended here...

I still don't understand why people suddenly call it layering. It's "phasing", and it's always been that way.

Quote Originally Posted by kamuimac View Post
    once people will spend few hours waiting to kill hogger they will see how fun vanilla really was.
    That's nothing. Spending 8-24 hours waiting for Brokentooth to spawn as a hunter, only to have some turd kill him while you tame. "Fun" is not a word I would use for that.

I really think that Classic is only going to do the same thing that any other expansion release does: Create an initial spike of interest, followed by a sharp dropoff in participation.

I'm glad for the extremely small percentage of players who enjoy that level of badness, retro-design, and overall poor gameplay. But classic won't last very long unless Blizzard makes some concessions to modern tech and advances in gameplay. IMO, layering is one of those things.

Quote Originally Posted by Thelyron View Post
    I still don't understand why people suddenly call it layering. It's "phasing", and it's always been that way.
    It's different technologies which are similiar but work differently and have different effects on gameplay. So if you want to have a genuine coversation about them you need seperate terms.

Calling it phasing either means you want to confuse people, because it's easier to attack strawmen than the actual issue, or you are confused about the difference yourself.
    "And all those exclamation marks, you notice? Five?
    A sure sign of someone who wears his underpants on his head."

Yes, it is indeed fine

10+ Year Old Account
    I rather have that than have to camp 5h to finish 1 kill "x" quest

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by deniter View Post
    Except with the current server number they are offering us the playerbase will suffer from both of these problems until the end of time, not just first two weeks.
    They based the server number on the results of their tests and by analyzing interest and engagement thus far. They can make some adjustments after they open up name reservations if more people are signing up than they anticipated.

You are just overestimating how interested people are. Blizzard has access to all the metrics, they know better than you what to expect.

Quote Originally Posted by MoanaLisa View Post
    The video shows one player having an issue with it. That has to be weighed against the number of players whose game is benefiting from less crowding and chaos.
    The thing is though, staying in one layer unless you force it by leaving/joining groups actualy is one of the defining promised features of classic. Layering certainly is necessary but you should never ever in classic walk up to a mob/herb/node and see it disappear unless you change your grouping situation at the same time.

So yes this bug should absolutely be fixed for release.

15+ Year Old Account
    Phasing, CRZ, Sharding, and Layering are all different things with different purposes. You must be confused as to what they mean and how they work.

Phasing, introduced in Burning Crusade (and named after the Bash'ir Phasing Device) and showcased mainly beginning with Wrath of the Lich King, is used to present different versions of the game world to players, usually to facilitate quests or to convey story progression. For example if you accept a quest that causes a bunch of enemies to invade a town, culminating with the town being destroyed, and then rebuilt, each of those stages would utilize different phases. It's possible for you and other players to be in different phases due to being on different quests or at different points of storyline progression.

CRZ, introduced in Mists of Pandaria, and Sharding, introduced in Warlords of Draenor, are used on retail servers to distribute player populations on a per-zone basis, attempting to ensure each zone has a healthy population of players belonging to both factions. The latter spawns additional Shards (world instances) to handle overpopulation, while the former pulls players from underpopulated Realms together into a single Shard. The two systems work in concert in modern WoW.

Layering is a unique technology developed for Classic as a temporary solution to overpopulation, as an alternative not only to Sharding, but to opening additional Realms. It essentially spawns a temporary virtual server (IE Atiesh splits into Atiesh-1 and Atiesh-2) that players can hop between, with some restrictions, which can later be virtually merged back together. Unlike Sharding and CRZ, which attempt to balance local populations per-zone, Layering affects the entire Realm simultaneously, to ensure that some degree of community is maintained across the entire game world. Layering is also only a temporary measure that will be disabled entirely once Realm populations stabilize.

15+ Year Old Account
    Oh look we found a bug, therefore everything everywhere is going to be bugged for everyone all the time. Also, on a side note, the universe is ENDING.

Layering in cities is absolutely inexcusable.

Quote Originally Posted by Kathranis View Post
    Phasing, CRZ, Sharding, and Layering are all different things with different purposes. You must be confused as to what they mean and how they work.

Phasing, introduced in Burning Crusade (and named after the Bash'ir Phasing Device) and showcased mainly beginning with Wrath of the Lich King, is used to present different versions of the game world to players, usually to facilitate quests or to convey story progression. For example if you accept a quest that causes a bunch of enemies to invade a town, culminating with the town being destroyed, and then rebuilt, each of those stages would utilize different phases. It's possible for you and other players to be in different phases due to being on different quests or at different points of storyline progression.

CRZ, introduced in Mists of Pandaria, and Sharding, introduced in Warlords of Draenor, are used on retail servers to distribute player populations on a per-zone basis, attempting to ensure each zone has a healthy population of players belonging to both factions. The latter spawns additional Shards (world instances) to handle overpopulation, while the former pulls players from underpopulated Realms together into a single Shard. The two systems work in concert in modern WoW.

Layering is a unique technology developed for Classic as a temporary solution to overpopulation, as an alternative not only to Sharding, but to opening additional Realms. It essentially spawns a temporary virtual server (IE Atiesh splits into Atiesh-1 and Atiesh-2) that players can hop between, with some restrictions, which can later be virtually merged back together. Unlike Sharding and CRZ, which attempt to balance local populations per-zone, Layering affects the entire Realm simultaneously, to ensure that some degree of community is maintained across the entire game world. Layering is also only a temporary measure that will be disabled entirely once Realm populations stabilize.
    On one hand, thank you for explaining. On the other,
    >Layering is a unique technology developed for Classic
    What we see in the video in the op happens all the time on retail, so are you sure about that?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Elrihm View Post
    Oh, this thread again..

*Yawn*
    And here you are, posting in "this thread". Again.
    Why though?

Its pretty gross but what are you gonna do, at least they promised it will be gone by phase 2.

15+ Year Old Account
    On one hand, thank you for explaining. On the other,
    >Layering is a unique technology developed for Classic
    What we see in the video in the op happens all the time on retail, so are you sure about that?
    Same symptom, different cause.

Quote Originally Posted by Sir Riptor View Post
    I don't really understand all the outrage over layering, every alternative is worse and this will probably be gone in a few weeks right
    Sharding only in low level zones would have been far better

Quote Originally Posted by kneehidude View Post
    And yet, if you can't kill things because there are so many people then you can't really progress.

The idea is to make sure the population isn't too big in any one area to avoid:

- not enough things to kill
    - server lag and/or disconnects
    And yet you're talking about a game company that's convinced itself 100% of the playerbase loves having huge groups of other players in the area. "It makes the world feel alive," they've been told by forum nitwits so much they actually believed that garbage. "Oh yes, thank you HERO for helping me with this task! No one else could do it!" makes so much sense when there's 40 other morons standing next to you turning in the exact same quest.

Quote Originally Posted by Hinastorm View Post
    Again, sigh, while I hope they work the kinks out, the alternative to no layering at launch is MUCH MUCH worse than layering with the current problems.

Use your critical thinking skills a little. Unless you really think 200 people competing for spawns and lagging the server is a good thing.
    Except you're going to see that with layering. Since layering is continent wide you're going to end up with several hundred people in each starting zone.
    Better would have to been using sharding in low level zones.
    It means you don't have hordes of people in the same starting zone.
    It means it doesn't impact how many rare resources are on a server (because high level zones are not sharded/layered).

Quote Originally Posted by CrimsonRecruitment View Post
    I've never understood the focus on layering.

The first few zones are such a brief part of the game.
    Have you actually logged on to those stater zones?

I just have and its a bunch of levels 1 sitting waiting for wolfs to spawn. Thats with layering