Thread: No Ret Pallies

Page 1 of 40
... LastLast

No Ret Pallies

Just FYI in case any newbies are coming to classic or returning vanilla people hoping this time "it will be different". It won't be. Ret pallies will still not be allowed in 5 mans and definitely won't get any raid spots. Just be warned if you intent to spec ret be prepared to play solo. You will also not be appreciated Q'ing into BGs, and definitely won't be getting into any premades.

15+ Year Old Account
    In terms of DPS, what is the ratio for Ret to other specs, that makes it so unviable?
    "Can't you see this is the last act of a desperate man?"
    "We don't care if it's the first act of Henry the Fifth, we're leaving!"

That's not true at all. I have no problem being in a 5-man with a ret pally.

Quote Originally Posted by taishar68 View Post
    In terms of DPS, what is the ratio for Ret to other specs, that makes it so unviable?
    They have the lowest DPS, highest threat, crappy off heal, and crappy CC.

5+ Year Old Account
    Troll. Post.

Also i will start a misfit guild and just do everything you dislike about misfit specs.

You can also just play with friends and cool people who don't care.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by OldSchoolWow916 View Post
    OK, but, again, to what ratio? If I'm bringing a Ret to a dungeon, I want DPS, not off heals. Is the DPS so bad that content is not beatable? Or is it just slower than optimal?

15+ Year Old Account
    Sorry, but i had too post this trashmeme.
    PROUD TRUMP SUPPORTER, #2024Trump #MAGA
    PROUD TRUMP CAMPAIGN SUPPORTER #SaveEuropeWithTrump
    PROUD SUPPORTER OF THE WALL
    BLUE LIVES MATTER
    NO TO ALL GUNCONTROL OR BACKGROUND CHECKS IN EUROPE
    /s

15+ Year Old Account
    And don't pallies have the ability to lower threat?

Quote Originally Posted by OldSchoolWow916 View Post
    They do get a six second incapacitate in addition to their hammer of justice if they spec Ret.

10+ Year Old Account
    They're about 25-33% of the output of a pure DPS class.
    Originally Posted by Blizzard Entertainment
    Because fuck you, that's why.

Go drunk you're home.

Telling people what to or not to play is one of the things that annoys me the most. People play whatever they want.

If they do not get into groups for some reason it is their problem not yours, so stop starting non-sense like this.

Also, Ret can do an acceptable DPS if you put twice the effort on speding gold / consumables etc than some other class, and there's even a promising Ret spec meta going on that doesn't have gear competition with anyone else.
    Also Rets are the best Nightfall users and there isnt a SINGLE raid that cannot be clear because you have a Ret Pala on your raid. That is absolutely ridiculous.

If you're afraid that a lot of Paladins are going Retribution, start filtering them by being good or bad players. I Prefer a thousand times a Retribution paladin on my raid which puts a lot of effort and dedication than a slacky shitty Rogue or Mage who doesn't care about enchants / consumables / attendance / etc.

End of the topic.

7+ Year Old Account
    All that moves is easily heard in the void.
    Quote Originally Posted by Wondercrab View Post
    You can also just play with friends and cool people who don't care.
    Pretty much this. This is how it actually worked in Vanilla.

Quote Originally Posted by Dacien View Post
    They do get a six second incapacitate in addition to their hammer of justice if they spec Ret.
    Repentance only works against humanoids, and any spec gets HOJ. I rather have a Holy Pally contribute to CC with HOJ while having full healing capability.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Keelya View Post
    Go drunk you're home.

Telling people what to or not to play is one of the things that annoys me the most. People play whatever they want.

If they do not get into groups for some reason it is their problem not yours, so stop starting non-sense like this.

Also, Ret can do an acceptable DPS if you put twice the effort on speding gold / consumables etc than some other class, and there's even a promising Ret spec meta going on that doesn't have gear competition with anyone else.
    Also Rets are the best Nightfall users and there isnt a SINGLE raid that cannot be clear because you have a Ret Pala on your raid. That is absolutely ridiculous.

If you're afraid that a lot of Paladins are going Retribution, start filtering them by being good or bad players. I Prefer a thousand times a Retribution paladin on my raid which puts a lot of effort and dedication than a slacky shitty Rogue or Mage who doesn't care about enchants / consumables / attendance / etc.

End of the topic.
    They're not actually a class that benefits a ton from consumables since they're throttled more by their lack of abilities than their resource (ie: SPriest DPS is throttled by their huge mana costs and would be much more competitive if those costs were lower, but Ret Paladins simply don't have enough buttons to press).

Whereas Feral and SPriest can shine pretty bright if you invest a lot of time farming consumables (but they still won't ever be equal to pure DPS classes), Ret doesn't get the same sort of boost.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by unbound View Post
    Pretty much this. This is how it actually worked in Vanilla.
    Truth, but 90% of Vanilla players never even stepped into Naxx too and probably way more than that percentage want to do so now. Naxx isn't so hard you can't bring a couple of hybrid DPS specs, but that doesn't mean they're contributing as much.

They are healer levels of dps while not being able to heal as well.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by netherflame View Post
    They are healer levels of dps while not being able to heal as well.
    I think they're actually even under the numbers that an appropriately geared Holy Priest could put out.

3+ Year Old Account
    It's insanely terrible and highly depends on RNG, slow RNG. Even with the best RNG it's still crap, you just have high chances of doing even worse than bad.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by jackofwind View Post
    I think they're actually even under the numbers that an appropriately geared Holy Priest could put out.
    Depending on the length of the fight yeah, at some point the priest will go oom, the ret pally can continue auto attacking and if RNG is on his side, he may be able to pass the wanding priest. However if that priest spec'ed into wand dmg, the ret pally is fukt.

Well, this is a lie. Seen plenty of ret paladins and just last night a boomkin in a group with me as a prot paladin tanking. Things went smoothly other than warlock pet pulling extra and mage AFKing half a dungeon. Also, frostbite is the bane of tanks. Please don't take it if you're a frost mage and plan on doing a lot of dungeons. That, or wait until the tank gets things into position

All of this information is based on WoW in 2004.

It's been 15 years, and with that has come more experience. People know what to talent now, people know what SPECIFIC gear pieces to get now.
    Take for example a Balance Druid. If geared right, can have pretty good sustainability. Sure, their numbers might be 10-15% lower than a "pure" DPS, but that's not a whole lot.

Find a Guild who doesn't want to be #1 at all times, and you'll have zero problems getting a spot.