View Poll Results: 10 days left, what'll it be?

Voters
92. This poll is closed
  • Hard Brexit (crash out)

45 48.91%
  • No Brexit (Remain by revoking A50)

24 26.09%
  • Withdrawal Agreement (after a new session is called)

0 0%
  • Extension + Withdrawal Agreement

3 3.26%
  • Extension + Crashout

9 9.78%
  • Extension + Remain

11 11.96%
    Quote Originally Posted by Twdft View Post
    Yeah, some of those people will be so detached from reality they think the EU kicked them out.
    Future tense?

Just like to point out to any non Brits on here.

It's none of your business.

Infracted.
    Last edited by Flarelaine; 2019-08-18 at 10:03 AM. Reason: Trolling

Quote Originally Posted by Reyuna View Post
    Just like to point out to any non Brits on here.

It's none of your business.
    Glad to read that you realise it's all you.

10+ Year Old Account
    There will be a lot of people blaming the EU on how life got worse after leaving, with all the "red lines" and the backstop and how impossible the negotiated withdrawal agreement was. Yeah, some of those people will be so detached from reality they think the EU kicked them out.
    It is part our fault, we have suffered the britains too long, we gave them too much good will that they really didn't deserve the last decades, we gave them too much leeway and special treatment.

We created this spoiled child of the EU, this emotion was there for a long time. Several actors now simply capitalized on it, for personal gain being it personal wealth looking at Mogg or desperately trying to be relevant and remain relevant like Farrage. I see those who are voting for the Brexit to be of the same cloth of those that blame any and all problems on immigrants, it's a form of populism at best, fascism at worst.

Remember that the leave campaign hired Cambrigde analytica to heavily influence the referendum election, this wasn't a fair referendum far from this was USSR level propaganda tactics being employed to force a certain result, you simply have to look at the adds created for the leave campaign on social media to see the depts they would sink and to this day you have people believing it, that's how successful it was.

Quote Originally Posted by LeGin Tufnel View Post
    No.

Corbyn is and always has been a Eurosceptic.

On the major, pressing and important decisions (e.g., don't refer to minutiae) he voted:

- Against EEC membership in 1975
    - Against the Maastricht Treaty in 1992
    - Against the Lisbon Treaty in 2008

He did not campaign whole-heartedly to embrace and remain in the EU 2016.

His stance since then has been to “respect” the result of the referendum and leave the EU. Every action (or inaction) since the 2016 result has underlined this.

Why? Were Labour to win a GE it suggests their policies might be more interventionist (capital controls, nationalisation without compensation) than their 2017 manifesto suggests.

Despite the fact that I actually agree he should be the leader of a caretaker government, his insistence that it should be him in No.10 is an indicator of his priorities. He cares not one iota about remaining in the EU.

And likely we won’t.
    Agree on this and everything I quoted 100%. It is beyond silly at this time and age that anyone is trying to claim that Corbyn is not a Eurosceptic at best. But then again I have Tory friends who are still trying to argue that their party stands for the middle and lower classes...

On the Reuters article, it's funny that all the government documents leaking to the press show that the country will go tits up with a no-deal Brexit, but all those other documents that apparently exist and show that everything will be splendid, are properly handled and never get to be seen by anyone other than the Brexit-supporting MPs and Ministers

Quote Originally Posted by Candfath2 View Post

Seriously, what is the point of this? You sound like someone ranting about their ex-wife, even when it is justified you just alienate everyone.

The UK left, we aren't coming back any time soon. Move on with your life. Join a badminton club.
    No we haven't and that is the whole point of this

Quote Originally Posted by Pann View Post
    So you've made the leap from people blaming the EU for failed negotiations to they will believe that the EU kicked us out even though these people voted in a referendum to leave the EU?!? Very odd.
    "Our Boris asked for an extension to get the Brexit right but the evil EU said NO. They kicked us out!"

Over the last years I wasted a bit of time reading youtube/twitter threads at work, there are a lot of people who you'd think were just a troll if read as a single post. But there are so many of them consistently at odds with reality they can't all be trolls but really think what they write.

10+ Year Old Account
    "Our Boris asked for an extension to get the Brexit right but the evil EU said NO. They kicked us out!"

Over the last years I wasted a bit of time reading youtube/twitter threads at work, there are a lot of people who you'd think were just a troll if read as a single post. But there are so many of them consistently at odds with reality they can't all be trolls but really think what they write.
    Those who are many unable to realize what the Brexit will actually cause will act like this, remember that what the brexit was suppose to be like wasn't even clear on the vote and those on the fence were persuaded with lies, A few on these board good example of this as they still believes things won't end up that bad as a recession. Despite several businesses already have made it clear what a hard brexit will result in.

The EU will offer further extensions, which will be tied to commitments that aren't unrealistic for the UK to accept, so that the onus is on the UK to accept or reject them (and if the UK rejects them it will be clear to all that it wasn't the EU that torpedoed it).

15+ Year Old Account
    Why are we sure the EU will offer an extension?
    Quote Originally Posted by ash
    So, look um, I'm not a grief counselor, but if it's any consolation, I have had to kill and bury loved ones before. A bunch of times actually.
    Quote Originally Posted by PC2 View Post
    I never said I was knowledge-able and I wouldn't even care if I was the least knowledge-able person and the biggest dumb-ass out of all 7.8 billion people on the planet.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Butler to Baby Sloths View Post
    The EU will offer further extensions, which will be tied to commitments that aren't unrealistic for the UK to accept, so that the onus is on the UK to accept or reject them (and if the UK rejects them it will be clear to all that it wasn't the EU that torpedoed it).
    And those commitments will be translated by certain individuals and media platforms as a deal with the devil. Rest assured that for those still believing that Brexit will bring them back their colonial era glory will blame the EU, as that's what their representatives have been doing for ages.

I am Murloc!
    7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Butler to Baby Sloths View Post
    afaik art50 does not include limits on extensions, neither lenght nor reasons. which means also the leaving member is just not entitled to expect ANY extension at all; it's those 2 years of negotiation and ratification mentioned in art50 and you better get ready to leave by then...or revoke.
    but revocation is tied to unconditionally term of absence of intentions to re-invoke; the EJC was silent about for how long you have to think again. it may be tested soon...

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Mayhem View Post
    The previous deadline was the election, now considering how little impact this brexit group has on it all and the former powerblocks are now more divided, the UK really isn't a big player anymore at the table.

Now the extension granted is done to benefit the other member states and the companies effected most, every month gained is a month more they can prepare for a brexit and soften the blow. This also gives more time for companies looking to leave the UK behind not necessarily for the EU, as manufacturing costs in the western world are a hard sell to investors, but that's another discussion.

I am Murloc!
    7+ Year Old Account
    you know each of 27 members is able to veto, so it is up to UK to convince everybody from Malta to Germany.
    my guess EU: will narrow it down to GE or sec ref. if mood among EU27 goes south they may expect GE before oct 31 and a decision immediately after ballot; no extension unless UK heads to sec ref.

just my impression of a tough mode, but EU will play hardball in the 10 weeks+x left.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by ranzino View Post
    afaik art50 does not include limits on extensions, neither lenght nor reasons. which means also the leaving member is just not entitled to expect ANY extension at all; it's those 2 years of negotiation and ratification mentioned in art50 and you better get ready to leave by then...or revoke.
    but revocation is tied to unconditionally term of absence of intentions to re-invoke; the EJC was silent about for how long you have to think again. it may be tested soon...
    The extensions that have been granted were already tied to commitments, the current one fails at all fronts with those, so there is already precedent. With the current shitshow that the politics in the UK are I don't think there will be much animo for another extension. So, come 31st of October, adios Brits, unless you revoke.

I take it from the fact there is no link to the quote at the start of your post and since it doesn't make sense that it is something that you made up rather than something that is directly attributable to someone, let alone someone of note.

Johnson is doing everything in his power to avoid requesting an extension and the most ardent of his supporters certainly don't want one - Brexit is their win and they are not going to give it up - they want to leave come what may and as far as they're concerned the sooner the better. Johnson's we will leave with or without a deal at the end of Oct. stance is a direct result of trying to appease these people and gain/retain their votes, to suggest that they are going to say that the EU kicked the UK out is quite frankly nonsense.

7+ Year Old Account
    Because they are a bankrupt busted flush without UK money.
    13/11/2022 Sir Keir Starmer. "Brexit is safe in my hands, Let me be really clear about Brexit. There is no case for going back into the EU and no case for going into the single market or customs union. Freedom of movement is over"

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by dribbles View Post
    Because they are a bankrupt busted flush without UK money.
    Project Believe at it again. You're actually pretty cute with how much you believe in what little the UK pays into the EU budget is a meaningful contribution. I mean, we're talking about 7B € a year.
    Quote Originally Posted by ash
    So, look um, I'm not a grief counselor, but if it's any consolation, I have had to kill and bury loved ones before. A bunch of times actually.
    Quote Originally Posted by PC2 View Post
    I never said I was knowledge-able and I wouldn't even care if I was the least knowledge-able person and the biggest dumb-ass out of all 7.8 billion people on the planet.

Project Believe at it again. You're actually pretty cute with how much you believe in what little the UK pays into the EU budget is a meaningful contribution. I mean, we're talking about 7B € a year.
    UK financial services alone were bringing 44 billion pounds of profits to UK in 2017; and this service is supposed to be value-adding for their EU customers.

"EU budget" clearly doesn't compare to that.

And it looks like UK was second only to Germany by "jobs in finance" in 2014.
    Last edited by Shalcker; 2019-08-18 at 01:50 PM.

7+ Year Old Account
    You throw it around as though the billions that the UK pays are loose change, they are not.

How is the loss to the EU being made up then? If you generous Austrians were to try every one of you would have to pay 1000 euro each. Every year.

Alternatively the UK could buy a new aircraft carrier. Every year.
    Or build a dozen new hospitals. Every year.

Those billions are not small beer, the EU is bankrupt without them. In fact if it were a UK LTD company continuing to trade with its financial situation it would be criminal. It's trading whilst insolvent... Juncker and co would be thrown in jail.
    13/11/2022 Sir Keir Starmer. "Brexit is safe in my hands, Let me be really clear about Brexit. There is no case for going back into the EU and no case for going into the single market or customs union. Freedom of movement is over"