Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst
LastLast
    I'm sorry that I dont bother doing my makeup every day anymore - I dont have a job, and fear I wont have the money to replace it. I will to my makeup and hair for interviews or industry events only.

Sorry my clothes are worn out, I cant afford new ones.

Sorry I cant be assed to get out of my pjs anymore when I run to the dollar store or take the dog out, I am too depressed to give a shit.

My grey roots are showing, they look really bad but I cant afford to color my hair every month, I will before my next interview.

My husband has been sick, and I'm running out of shit to sell.

In conclusion: Bite me.

Quote Originally Posted by Aylaman View Post
    You don't have to waste a ton of money to not look like a bum or poor.
    The majority of Americans can't afford a $400 emergency. They ARE poor.

In my own case, I don't give the slightest fuck about my clothing because my job has me in a work uniform anyways. For 50+ hours a week my clothing doesn't matter, for another 55-60 I am sleeping, for 10-20 hours a week I am working out, cooking at home, or doing household chores. Of the remaining 30-36 hours I spend on down time, and most of that is playing games, watching tv, or chilling with friends who don't give a fuck about my sense of style either.

Tell me again why I need to buy fancy clothes to look good to the public? So people can judge me while I go grocery shopping or to eat out? So I can attract a mate that I have no interest in having? Or is it just so you don't have to look at the 'Poor people' in public?

Quote Originally Posted by Zero3 View Post
    And yes like it or not, first impressions matter.
    Who am I trying to impress and why should I care?
    Last edited by Puzzlesocks; 2019-08-25 at 06:16 PM.
    “Care about what other people think and you will always be their prisoner.”
    ― Lao Tzu

10+ Year Old Account
    A lot of poor generalizations going on in this thread. Gonna avoid this one.

Quote Originally Posted by Puzzlesocks View Post

Who am I trying to impress and why should I care?
    That is your choice, could be friends of friends, friends or family of your gf/bf whatever, could be the people at a job interview like the poster above wrote, or just get a bit more respect from people in general. I have friends that dress all baggy and trashy. Whenever they enter a store security always has an eye on them. So yeah maybe not feel humiliated being stalked like a low level thief.

My life isn't so empty and petty that I have a lot of time to sit around judging how people dress.

Is your life petty and empty enough for that, @Aylaman?

That is your choice, could be friends of friends, friends or family of your gf/bf whatever, could be the people at a job interview like the poster above wrote, or just get a bit more respect from people in general. I have friends that dress all baggy and trashy. Whenever they enter a store security always has an eye on them. So yeah maybe not feel humiliated being stalked like a low level thief.
    I wear jeans/sweatpants and a subtle T-shirt most of the time. Sometimes I wear gym shorts instead of pants. I would say the majority guys dress like this. People dress in general based off their profession and their environment. If you complain that an auto-mechanic isn't going to restaurants wearing a suit, you are the one who is wrong. To me it sounds like OP is more complaining about people that either A: Don't partake in hygiene rituals, which is a valid concern. Or B: Don't have the same sense of style as them, which is not a valid concern.

If you are looking to impress with a first impression, it is best to show the people who you really are and not put on airs. The only thing this "wear a suit to a job interview regardless" rule does is show employers how much you are willing to follow a ridiculous and outdated social norm. It's one thing if they require that clothing and you refuse, it is quite another if they expect it without telling you and judge you for it. Anywhere outside of a professional setting, all you are doing by wearing something outside your personal style is deceit.
    “Care about what other people think and you will always be their prisoner.”
    ― Lao Tzu

10+ Year Old Account
    Because why should I care about how others percieve me?
    I don't dedicate my life to please others that I don't care nor like, instead I focus on what makes me happy.

Why do you care so much about something that doesn't have to affect you at all?

Quote Originally Posted by Ayla View Post
    I'm sorry that I dont bother doing my makeup every day anymore - I dont have a job, and fear I wont have the money to replace it. I will to my makeup and hair for interviews or industry events only.

Sorry my clothes are worn out, I cant afford new ones.

Sorry I cant be assed to get out of my pjs anymore when I run to the dollar store or take the dog out, I am too depressed to give a shit.

My grey roots are showing, they look really bad but I cant afford to color my hair every month, I will before my next interview.

My husband has been sick, and I'm running out of shit to sell.

In conclusion: Bite me.
    Uhm, not to piss all over your victimparade:

Quote Originally Posted by Ayla View Post
    Depends on how much extra you charge. I am okay with doubling the cost, but if you are greedy you can fuck right off.

I was going to order some pasta from Boston Pizza the other day, and they wanted $3 for extra sauce and another $3 for extra cheese. On top of an already $19 for pasta, $5 delivery charge, $4 for meatballs (that's actually reasonable) I decided they should get fucked and decided not to order.

I can get an entire jar of sauce for $3.
    I doubt I am even getting 50 cents worth of extra cheese.

Shove it, Boston Pizza.
    If it wasnt for the sauce and cheese you would have ordered 28 dollars worth of pasta. Aside from that you feed your dog (!?) one of the most expensive dog food i've ever seen. So money clearly isnt the issue here.
    Last edited by Thereturn; 2019-08-25 at 09:16 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Thereturn View Post
    Uhm, not to piss all over your victimparade:

If it wasnt for the sauce and cheese you would have ordered 28 dollars worth of pasta. Aside from that you feed your dog (!?) one of the most expensive dog food i've ever seen. So money clearly isnt the issue here.
    No, I wouldnt have. I would have tapped out at 18. My dog gets fed good food because I love him and refuse to feed him crap, not to mention it would be diarrhea city on something like iams.

Also, shit changes in a matter weeks, "Making do" changes to "oh shit" really quickly when you miss a weeks pay.

edit: also, welcome to adulthood - where the other day is actually a couple months ago.

edit 2: I also thought I had interviews that didnt turn out. With the most recent being a few days ago.
    Last edited by Ayla; 2019-08-25 at 09:37 PM.

Field Marshal
    10+ Year Old Account
    Honestly I think this is a woman thing, my wife is always making comments about people on their looks/clothing whereas I couldn’t give a damn. I’ve witnessed this judging in person with other friends wives/girlfriends as well.

I think this stems from our culture and the pressure women feel about their looks(while unfortunate), so they tend to project this same judgement.

Women are also much more into fashion than men are so there’s that.

Quote Originally Posted by Blown03SVT View Post
    Honestly I think this is a woman thing, my wife is always making comments about people on their looks/clothing whereas I couldn’t give a damn. I’ve witnessed this judging in person with other friends wives/girlfriends as well.

I think this stems from our culture and the pressure women feel about their looks(while unfortunate), so they tend to project this same judgement.

This. Mine wont even let me leave the house if i dont put gel in my hair.
    Up untill the day i told her: "if your gonna decide what i put in my hair, im gonna decide what goes on your face".
    I didnt get laid for 3 months.. And i still have to wear gel when going out.. Fuck, i thought it was a solid argument..
    Cant blame a guy for trying right?

Quote Originally Posted by Aylaman View Post
    You don't have to waste a ton of money to not look like a bum or poor.
    I'd rather look poor than rich, really. Especially if it irks shallow, materialistic people.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Blown03SVT View Post

In our family, the shallow, materialistic and fashion savvy individual, is a man. Married with children, wants his kids to have the latest trends to give off a "refined" vibe.

AKA, making them prime targets for robberies.

Lack of personal hygiene is a known mental health issue.

Being overly concerned about image is a known mental health issue, among them is "narcissism."

Just simply dressing up (covering taboo parts), smell and look clean is all anyone should ask of anyone else.

Well,

Something people didn't have around till the 80's - video games. Also mechanics to bring companies higher has changed. Men are not as useful as used to be.

My first thought and that might also be very far from the truth.

Titan
    10+ Year Old Account
    I ask the same question of guys who refuse to wear deodorant (should be mandatory to cover up your stink at work) and women who wear clothes that are too small and their fat rolls hang out (this problem doesn't seem to be as common among us fat guys for some reason). Most of my colleagues know how to dress aside from a few, but christ, it must be commonplace in certain cultures to smell worse than a pile of cow dung on a daily basis. There's one guy in particular I can smell his stink from at least 15 feet away, it's nauseating.

Also, perfume is an issue I have in the workplace. Us guys don't wear cologne, just deodorant, meanwhile for some reason women get away with wearing perfume that you can smell from miles away, despite that being against the rules.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Ambient Epicuros View Post
    Well,

Something people didn't have around till the 80's - video games. Also mechanics to bring companies higher has changed. Men are not as useful as used to be.

My first thought and that might also be very far from the truth.
    Bullshit, the most successful companies in the world are still run by men and dominated by men. Because we work hard, we sacrifice more and are often more driven. Seems some people like to ignore the fact that we don't have to be tied down by things like pregnancy.
    Last edited by Rennadrel; 2019-08-26 at 12:35 AM.

I like men to wear suits or at least dress casual with a suit jacket and uncut jeans. I don't like men in their 30s-40s-50s wearing shorts and t-shirts unless the occasion calls for it, they look like that steve buscemi pic with the skateboard "hello fellow kids!" . I believe you should dress for your age and not be a "young geezer" that's just sad. If you have a small frame and build from the back you could be confused with a school/college teen , but turn around and you're just sad and old. And yes like it or not, first impressions matter.
    I just read this as "men should be uncomfortably hot during summer months because I'm shallow and vain."

Sorry, I'm not wearing a suit jacket in 100+ degree weather.

Field Marshal
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Queen of Hamsters View Post
    I'd rather look poor than rich, really. Especially if it irks shallow, materialistic people.

- - - Updated - - -

In our family, the shallow, materialistic and fashion savvy individual, is a man. Married with children, wants his kids to have the latest trends to give off a "refined" vibe.

AKA, making them prime targets for robberies.
    Yeah they’re out there, and often the men who are like this are more extreme than women who are.

Quote Originally Posted by Wyrt View Post
    I just read this as "men should be uncomfortably hot during summer months because I'm shallow and vain."

Sorry, I'm not wearing a suit jacket in 100+ degree weather.
    Pair of jeans that aren't ripped or teared or whatever and a short sleeved shirt then

Pair of jeans that aren't ripped or teared or whatever and a short sleeved shirt then
    What exactly is your problem with people wearing comfortable clothing, when the weather is considered? No way in hell I'm wearing pants when it's +25C or more outside. Jeans or otherwise.
    "It's just like I always said! You can do battle with strength, you can do battle with wits, but no weapon can beat a great pair of tits!"