Another Classic Aspect that would greatly help BFA and onwards.

One of the things I really enjoy about Classic is the journey, but with the past expansions in retail, its just been a race to max level to do rep/dungeon/world quest grinds. One of the aspects I would change is the leveling experience, and with only 2 changes to it.

1. Remove Heirlooms altogether. This will fix the issue of the leveling gear you get from quests having no impact. And without the ever powerful heirloom gear, mobs in the open world would feel a bit more threatening then they are now. Just like in classic, with better leveling gear, the mobs are easy but when you don't have the awesome gear, you struggle. This creates that challenging nature of the game which would give more fulfillment doing harder areas.

2. Level Squish - I know a lot of people won't agree, but this would go with my first point quite nicely. The older parts of the world in retail have little to no meaning to the current story timeline. They are just a chore to go through and when you have done it 20+ times, you hate seeing it each time. Putting a level squish will keep us in the old world a shorter span of time and get us through that story telling much quicker.

Let me know what you think.

Quote Originally Posted by MrA View Post
    One of the things I really enjoy about Classic is the journey, but with the past expansions in retail, its just been a race to max level to do rep/dungeon/world quest grinds. One of the aspects I would change is the leveling experience, and with only 2 changes to it.

1. Remove Heirlooms altogether. This will fix the issue of the leveling gear you get from quests having no impact. And without the ever powerful heirloom gear, mobs in the open world would feel a bit more threatening then they are now. Just like in classic, with better leveling gear, the mobs are easy but when you don't have the awesome gear, you struggle. This creates that challenging nature of the game which would give more fulfillment doing harder areas.

2. Level Squish - I know a lot of people won't agree, but this would go with my first point quite nicely. The older parts of the world in retail have little to no meaning to the current story timeline. They are just a chore to go through and when you have done it 20+ times, you hate seeing it each time. Putting a level squish will keep us in the old world a shorter span of time and get us through that story telling much quicker.

Removing heirlooms would be the worst idea ever. Leveling wasn't challenging in Classic, it was just tedious. Sure there's people who enjoy it but there's way more people who DON'T enjoy that tedium. Removing heirlooms would tank retail.

1. Remove Heirlooms altogether.
    No, hairloom was invented as a reward for altoholics, who - no matter what you do - will never care again for leveling cause after 15 years of wow they have 10+ toons at 120...
    This will fix the issue of the leveling gear you get from quests having no impact.
    Wrong again!
    Leveling content is just a means to an end these days an NOT the game anymore. The game these days starts at (maxlevel - 10)
    And without the ever powerful heirloom gear, mobs in the open world would feel a bit more threatening then they are now.
    Wrong for the third! the world is not threatening anymore.
    This creates that challenging nature of the game which would give more fulfillment doing harder areas.
    there are no "hard" areas in the world anymore
    2. Level Squish - I know a lot of people won't agree, but this would go with my first point quite nicely.
    So you wanna kill retail? cause that is what would happen - people who played this game for 15 years would left the game and it be dead.
    (Also REMOVING content is never the solution as enough RPG elements have already been removed)
    Putting a level squish will keep us in the old world a shorter span of time and get us through that story telling much quicker.
    So first you want the old world to be relevant and now you wanna level through it even FASTER?....

thank god you dont work for Blizzard

Quote Originally Posted by tmamass View Post
    No, hairloom was invented as a reward for altoholics, who - no matter what you do - will never care again for leveling cause after 15 years of wow they have 10+ toons at 120...
    Wrong again!
    Leveling content is just a means to an end these days an NOT the game anymore. The game these days starts at (maxlevel - 10)

Wrong for the third! the world is not threatening anymore.
    there are no "hard" areas in the world anymore

So you wanna kill retail? cause that is what would happen - people who played this game for 15 years would left the game and it be dead.
    (Also REMOVING content is never the solution as enough RPG elements have already been removed)
    So first you want the old world to be relevant and now you wanna level through it even FASTER?....

thank god you dont work for Blizzard
    LOL, your critiques are amusing. Dumb but amusing none the less. -100 dkp for no creative aspect to your "Wrong!" statements.

Also, I want the entire world more relevant, not just pre-BC world. The shortening of the time to quest through the level squish would not get rid of content at all. I don't even understand how you could construe that thought process.

Yes they should remove heirlooms, but there should be a way to keep the extra %xp. Maybe some account wide talents and you get 1 point for each max level character or something.

1. No thank you. Your main is never running with heirlooms anyway, at least scaled to the level heirlooms. So your first journey through 1-120 is never with heirlooms, also your first journey in a new expac from 110-120 or from x to max level is never done with heirlooms. So they don't are not the causation ruining the journey.
    Heirlooms are strictly alt character tools, when you've had your journey and want to try a different class, which in vanilla terms doesn't happen that much, cause max level alts are rare, at least for classic currently, maybe in a couple years when everyone dedicated is decked in naxx tier.

Then again even with alts they are completely optional, you can get geared and leveled on your alt the regular way and normal speed if you choose to. People wearing heirlooms don't want to. They want a max level toon as soon as possible, for whatever purpose, but it is not the journey, they've done their journey already. Gearing up your alt when leveling means jackshit. I'm not even gearing up my max level main, why would i care about some low level alt if he has current level bis or not.

Without constant world revamps the WoW questing gets old pretty quickly.
    I've done "loremaster" before there was achievements, just do all the quests in vanilla or after that tbc, i did that twice.
    I did full loremaster in WotLK after the achi, with the same vanilla, tbc quests in the baseline the third time.
    Then i've done loremaster 2 more times after the Cata world revamp.
    I'm now on my 14th max level alt. I've done my journey so many times, there's nothing new to experience.
    Except if i want to have a new character skin via allied races, which is done either via paid boost (don't want to do) or with max heirlooms and xp pots in preferably less than a day, cause that's the most amount of time i want to spent on doing the same old quest again and again.
    That's the point of heirlooms. I'm not there to fight the world and mobs in it or experience some mindblowing events for the 15th time. I'm doing a chore. Faster means faster, it doesn't matter if it's via xp boost or easier mobs or both. You take everything handed to you and more, i don't even bother quest texts anymore, auto accept and hand-in addons are mandatory. GPS arrow for optimal route is mandatory. It's all automated process at this point for maximum efficiency, not a tourist bus tour. But when new expansion comes my main does everything from quest texts to exploration, cause it's new. I take my time and in no rush. Took 2 weeks to get 110-120 first time, when fastest was like 7 hours. Then i did one more alt through 110-120 via questing and all the rest of my characters ran full heirlooms and only timewalking dungeons cause it was the fastest way.

2. This is fine. The leveling experience needs a revamp, the world in my opinion at least needs a revamp to reflect what has happened in it.
    At this point we are still doing almost decade old quests based on events that are long gone. This needs to be updated first of all.
    If this was done proper we would get a complete old world overhaul every single expansion, at that point i might argue that heirlooms are not needed anymore. If we get all quests renewed each expansion and whole new story or at least major part of it. But when it's the same damn 15 year old Hogger quest, yeah no give me oneshot please.
    Level squish would also help with the alt leveling speed making it faster so my 15th character doesn't take a month or 2 days or whatever.
    Cause in this case there's not even new classes to learned to be played. I'm just making the same classes again i've already once done, just to get a different race skin on it. If anything they should add more heirlooms and boost the xp bonus to like 5000%. But only for alt characters, max level main needs to be required for this, max level main that is not paid boosted. If we want to be really strict you could lock heirlooms this powerful behind the loremaster achievement which requires you to complete each quest in the game at least once.
    Last edited by Redecle; 2019-09-09 at 05:33 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by micwini View Post
    Yes they should remove heirlooms, but there should be a way to keep the extra %xp. Maybe some account wide talents and you get 1 point for each max level character or something.
    Actually this is a pretty good idea and can even be attached through the achievement system.