Thread: a new timeline

Page 1 of 3
LastLast
    7+ Year Old Account

Question a new timeline

wow Classic is a thing now.
    so let's say writer decide in the next expansion to "end" wow story, and from Classic start a new timeline, it's like when marvel or DC make a reboot to the universe.
    i understand that a lot of people will not like the idea, but it can also redeem a lot of the mistakes that has been done before with the knowledge and more competent writers add to blizzard.
    or can be just wow2 with the alt-universe from wow classic
    Quote Originally Posted by Arrashi View Post
    I just love the idea of "I want to murder people in moderation".
    Quote Originally Posted by Zulkhan View Post
    the only "positive" in your case is that, unlike Blizzard's writers, you aren't paid for that.

10+ Year Old Account
    Land of human potential (and non-toxic masculinity)
    I say its a really bad idea. Now i do believe that warcraft strayed far from its original idea. Mistakes were made. Alot of fail was created. Things that feel like shitty fanfictions (like say void elves) run rampart. Many characters had their personalities butchered. I think we are all sick of jaina that tauren guy and depression orcs.

But in all this raw sewage. In this stinking gutter, there are some gems. Mudmug. Dudebrul. Uncle gao. I don't want to sacrifice them for empty promises of better writing.

+ Golden would be involved in this new timeline so it would be much, much worse.

Yeah I dunno why Christie Golden took this WoW story arc and lore path so far down the sewer that even raw sewage stays away from it. I actually liked her WoW books (and a couple Star Wars books too) but if she's behind this whole BfA story arc and lore thing...please "mutually agree to separate" Big Blue.

If this is the path to Garrosh vs Garithos faction war timeline, you have my blessing!

Quote Originally Posted by Jericho21 View Post
    Yeah I dunno why Christie Golden took this WoW story arc and lore path so far down the sewer that even raw sewage stays away from it. I actually liked her WoW books (and a couple Star Wars books too) but if she's behind this whole BfA story arc and lore thing...please "mutually agree to separate" Big Blue.
    steve danuser is probably working with her though. he's the main problem i think. without him jacking off, it'd just be golden doing some bean flicking to anduin. you've also got the problem of afrasiabi being a coked-out hack that doesn't stop to remember shit he helped write 15 years ago because his head's too far up his own ass.

as to the op, not with modern blizzard in control. as much as i want wow2, the industry as a whole is in a very, very dark place right now. i don't want to see a reboot of wow during this irl timeline, because it is truly the worst timeline.

Quote Originally Posted by derpkitteh View Post
    steve danuser is probably working with her though. he's the main problem i think. without him jacking off, it'd just be golden doing some bean flicking to anduin. you've also got the problem of afrasiabi being a coked-out hack that doesn't stop to remember shit he helped write 15 years ago because his head's too far up his own ass.

as to the op, not with modern blizzard in control. as much as i want wow2, the industry as a whole is in a very, very dark place right now. i don't want to see a reboot of wow during this irl timeline, because it is truly the worst timeline.
    It's weird, but although I don't know either of these guys, I somehow feel you've nailed them spot on.

Legendary!
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by steelballfc View Post
    it can also redeem a lot of the mistakes that has been done before with the knowledge
    Not with the current writers, no

They'll make new, interesting mistakes, that's what

The Patient
    7+ Year Old Account
    a timeline without the fimininztion and anti "muh toxic masculinity" would be great. WoW went through that ultra far left cringy SJW phase people went through and came out fat, rainbow haired, and preachy.

Would love to see this stuff walked back. Blizzard use to ignore these annoying trends, including the laments of the religious right. Politics and entertainment don't mix.

Yes please. It only went downhill in terms of lore after Classic. The recent expansions like BfA and Legion are just the final straw.

With the current set of writers it will be a worse timeline.
    Quote Originally Posted by Varitok View Post
    No, she is my waifu. Stop posting and delete this thread immediately.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ophenia View Post
    Voted Baine because... Well, Baine. Total nonsensical character, looks like World War II Italy, nobody really understands what role he's supposed to fill, not even himself

Uhg, nah. Classic isn’t going to be some WoW savior, it’ll plateau the sub numbers at best. It will not fix the game from a development perspective and a lore perspective.

Why ask for a branching timeline at post Naxxramus? You want a new timeline to “redo” the lore mistakes why not just demand a new game altogether, that differs from the end of ToC or TFT?

so let's say writer decide in the next expansion to "end" wow story, and from Classic start a new timeline, it's like when marvel or DC make a reboot to the universe.
    i understand that a lot of people will not like the idea, but it can also redeem a lot of the mistakes that has been done before with the knowledge and more competent writers add to blizzard.
    Nope.

As you said yourself "a lot of people will not like the idea". You can guarantee that even if the new story that came out of a crazy move like this was total awesomesauce, people would still be pissed about Blizzard copping out, or introducing a new timeline, or whatever. Others would be pissed because it invalidates aspect of the story between then and now that they liked. Still others might actually be okay with the current story.

The stuff to draw from classic are game mechanics people like in classic and how to re-inject concepts or aspects of it into retail. Classic should not be a new jump off point to replace retail's lore.

10+ Year Old Account
    I am against it and we should cut that idea off at the head because if you did that we would have to deal with the inevitable "MY timeline is the REAL timeline" arguements every day on here.

A clear HELL NO

And leave everything in the hands of Danuiser, Golden and Afrasabi?

Hell the Fuck no!

10+ Year Old Account
    Nearby, preventing you from fast traveling.
    No thanks.

I might hate BfA’s story, but I really fucking hate everything else about Classic. And there’s no way in hell I’m losing my collections to continue the nostalgic ideal of a game I don’t like.

Not to mention the writers are still shit. So it’s utterly pointless.

... so let's say writer decide in the next expansion to "end" wow story, and from Classic start a new timeline... or can be just wow2 with the alt-universe from wow classic
    No. You think you do but you really don't. Alternate universes are by and large interesting places to visit but you don't want to live there. You need to understand one thing. Classic is a dead game. Not in the sense people don't play it but in the sense it will never progress. It is a snapshot of the past and that is all. No new content will be developed for Classic. After phase 6 there will not even be any more updates for Classic. That is what the community wanted... that is what Blizzard delivered. Classic is the past... like the past you can learn from it but it is unchanging and dead. The best you can hope for is they learn lessons from Classic to improve the live, breathing game that can grow and change with a new patch.
    Quote Originally Posted by Elim Garak View Post
    No fucking way. The worst idea since democracy.

It's a very very bad idea. Anything that goes with time travel, alternate versions and whatnot that wasn't created from the start with that in mind to actually make sense and be interesting is just bullshit.

The story and the game are what they are. Pick it up and make it better.
    Warlock soloing https://www.youtube.com/user/Firedemon012 (old & abandoned)

3000% no on this.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Nerovar View Post
    Yes please. It only went downhill in terms of lore after Classic. The recent expansions like BfA and Legion are just the final straw.
    classic lore was terrible. it was mostly retconned for a reason lol
    Last edited by bloodykiller86; 2019-09-13 at 01:15 PM.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by derpkitteh View Post
    what if we have new creative team ?
    Quote Originally Posted by Arrashi View Post
    I just love the idea of "I want to murder people in moderation".
    Quote Originally Posted by Zulkhan View Post
    the only "positive" in your case is that, unlike Blizzard's writers, you aren't paid for that.