Poll: Should Thunderfury go to the MT or Rogue?

Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    It should be given to a paladin.

Quote Originally Posted by barackohmama View Post
    It should be given to a paladin.
    Nonsense, give it to the Priest over there

Quote Originally Posted by Rinaul View Post
    I thought there were a few warriors who used it up until BT in TBC.
    I keep hearing this from people who heard it from somewhere/someone else and the myth grows. I only ever saw people using it for novelty, we had a few of them in guild while I was raiding in TBC, the proc was the only good thing about the weapon and otherwise it's terrible, since the proc was nerfed in TBC the weapon was pretty bad. I don't doubt people had them on, I saw people tanking with a Warglaive in ICC and I killed raid bosses in Cataclysm with Shadowmourne but that wasn't because Shadowmourne was good, it was worse than levelling dungeon blue.

I saw people using TF pre King's Defender, but how much of that is stubbornness or status? If the rest of your gear is good you can get away with it, and I'm sure the weapon/proc used situationally with some well timed procs could feel useful, but in the general sense it definitely was not as good as a TBC raiding weapon.
    Probably running on a Pentium 4

My vanilla guild gave it to a rogue, because we had no real MT and all tanks had jobs/RL and could not allways attend. The rogue kept playing for 9 years, with close to 100% attendance for every ID.

Tanking is boring in the first place and not really valued outside of the guild. Every raiding player will tell you how commited they are but in reality it is very rare that people enjoy raiding over a big time span and its even rarer from tanking players.

Classic is allready a meme content filler for Retail, it is just unreasonable to expect anything serious from the players right now.

I would give TF to the next nolife player you know or just roll for it. Giving it to your "extreme commited" MT you know since 2 weeks will not lead to any miracles in the future.
    -

Quote Originally Posted by Bigbazz View Post
    I keep hearing this from people who heard it from somewhere/someone else and the myth grows. I only ever saw people using it for novelty, we had a few of them in guild while I was raiding in TBC, the proc was the only good thing about the weapon and otherwise it's terrible, since the proc was nerfed in TBC the weapon was pretty bad. I don't doubt people had them on, I saw people tanking with a Warglaive in ICC and I killed raid bosses in Cataclysm with Shadowmourne but that wasn't because Shadowmourne was good, it was worse than levelling dungeon blue.

I saw people using TF pre King's Defender, but how much of that is stubbornness or status? If the rest of your gear is good you can get away with it, and I'm sure the weapon/proc used situationally with some well timed procs could feel useful, but in the general sense it definitely was not as good as a TBC raiding weapon.
    It was used in TBC in T4/T5 content at the launch of the expansion until the proc was nerfed against higher level mobs (IE Bosses).

You'd only give it to a class that's not your MT if there is something severely wrong with that tank in terms of ability/loyalty/attendance. It's stupid to give it to a DPS because of the threat it will generate and the fact that there are better DPS options available.
    Last edited by Kryptos; 2019-09-13 at 06:45 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Ideally it'd go to the MT, but I can see a regularly-attending fury warrior or rogue who's been with the guild since day 1 making an argument for the weapon if the MT is new or has a reputation for guild-hopping (or some other unsavory behavior that would be a significant strike against him when the guild weighs who gets the bindings and help building Thunderfury).
    Be seeing you guys on Bloodsail Buccaneers NA!

we had a tank on illidan using TF it was a decent weapon seeing as you probably saw more nature damage in tbc from offspecs but the extra threat the proc does create however small is always some extra threat. its possible some ppl used it for the gimmick but i think it still worked fine.

Quote Originally Posted by Kryptos View Post
    It was used in TBC in T4/T5 content at the launch of the expansion until the proc was nerfed against higher level mobs (IE Bosses).
    This is misleading, the proc was nerfed like a week after the world first Magtheridon kill (T4), threat was nerfed considerably. The proc rate and potency of the proc was already nerfed several times during Vanilla before 1.12. The Classic version is the weakest pre-tbc version aside from the fact that it's a one-hand not a main hand, so can now be used as a DPS offhand. Even during the very short couple of weeks in TBC where the threat wasn't nerfed, it was still only worth using on multi target situations if you're comparing to something like a King's Defender.

Quote Originally Posted by Heathy View Post
    we had a tank on illidan using TF it was a decent weapon seeing as you probably saw more nature damage in tbc from offspecs but the extra threat the proc does create however small is always some extra threat. its possible some ppl used it for the gimmick but i think it still worked fine.
    Yeah it's extra threat (minor) ofset by all the threat you would have lost by not using a much higher dps weapon with stats, you'd be losing massive threat compared to a Brutalizer, Blazefury, Mallet etc. And to top it off you're also possibly eating stormstrike charges that would have increased your nature users raid dps!
    Last edited by Bigbazz; 2019-09-13 at 06:52 PM.

assuming your tanks and dps are equally good. Giving it to a rogue Rogue if you're alliance is completely fine because Rogue's innate lower threat generated, numerous ways to drop aggro, and salvation basically makes it impossible to pull threat even with TF. If Horde, it should 100% go to your tank because your raid is threat capped if your dps are good, and you don't want to use dumpster Tranquil air totem versus GoA/WF.

But in the end, you should just give it to the person that will most likely stick with your guild the most, versus that one person that might just guild hop after legendary is done

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Bigbazz View Post

I know people who legitimately used it in T5 (SSC/TK) but I never saw anyone use it in BT...

I agree with the "did it because they could" part, I did it myself... My guild's second kill of Lich King I tanked with Thunderfury on my Paladin just to prove to some naysayers that it could be done... They thought I wouldn't be able to keep agro, but no one even came close to pulling off me.
    A gun is like a parachute. If you need one, and don’t have one, you’ll probably never need one again.

Quote Originally Posted by Schattenlied View Post
    I know people who legitimately used it in T5 (SSC/TK) but I never saw anyone use it in BT...

I agree with the "did it because they could" part, I did it myself... My guild's second kill of Lich King I tanked with Thunderfury on my Paladin just to prove to naysayers in my guild that it could be done... They thought I wouldn't be able to keep agro, but no one even came close to pulling off me.
    to be fair, tank threat is so far ahead of everyone else in Wrath that it probably doesn't matter that much. Your point stands, but I wonder if you can hold threat with even less, because you might very well be able to.

main tank TF is a nice offhand for rogues but other than that nah.

taking it as rogue because fuck tanks
    Quote Originally Posted by lunchbox2042 View Post
    Ahh, WoW, the game that gives cosplayers a reason to dress up like medieval fantasy hookers.

Quote Originally Posted by Schattenlied View Post

I agree with the "did it because they could" part, I did it myself... My guild's second kill of Lich King I tanked with Thunderfury on my Paladin just to prove to some naysayers that it could be done... They thought I wouldn't be able to keep agro, but no one even came close to pulling off me.
    Our guild master tanked LK with Thunderfury on his Paladin too, we also used Apolyon (KJ weapon, Ret/Fury) while killing Heroic Blood Queen once, it was fine because the rest of our gear was decked to the teeth, performance wasn't even low. I remember killing some bosses in Ulduar using my level 70 one-handers, again performance was fine because the rest of the gear was really good and the bosses were on farm.

People do this sort of stuff all the time, which is why I'm trying to point out here that Thunderfury in TBC onwards is worse than people try to make out, if you were being serious about your performance you'd never choose TF over King's Defender, especially not on single target, but people don't always make the right choice based on performance alone, especially in the old days.
    Last edited by Bigbazz; 2019-09-13 at 07:00 PM.

The main tank having TF is a boost to overall raid DPS, threat limited classes like Warlock's don't need to down rank spells as much.

first TF? main tank... second one? the person with most consistent attendance either tank or dps...

I wonder if this is a serious or a troll question. Really.

Quote Originally Posted by anon5123 View Post
    There's literally no reason to ever give Thunderfury to a rogue unless all of your warrior tanks already have it.

The proc on it generates so much threat that it's the absolute BIS tanking weapon for all of vanilla. That being said, if you used it on a rogue you'd likely be pulling threat all the time, just another reason why rogues shouldn't use it.
    So very much this. There were tanks using TF in Kara at level 70. That's how good the threat generation is. If you're a Rogue, do you really want to constantly have to tone down your dps because your sword causes too much threat? No, you can get weapons that are very close to being as good as TF for dps, but without the added threat.

All of that said, if you're using it for PVP, there's no better weapon in the game (Vanilla/Classic) for a Rogue. But the effort - not to mention luck - it takes to get it likely precludes that option for most.

To the one with the cutest voice on chat ..

MT - Threat generation is incredible. Rogues would just pull with it and will have to hold back.