Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst
LastLast
    Pandaren Monk
    5+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Necromantic View Post
    That's not how economy works. If most people can't afford anything... things won't sell.
    This.

Also, didn't Blizzard say they're investigating players who did it and will punish accordingly? I imagine all the stuff those players "earned" through the exploit will get taken away, at the very least (if they don't also see the business end of a banhammer).

10+ Year Old Account
    Uncommon Premium
    I know epic mounts are a big sink along with gear of course... but in CLASSIC (no offense of course), you don't have 1,2-5,000,000G mounts just chilling like retail. Now a simple 20U$D Token is worth like 150,000G so I mean in comparison it would be like 20$ for 50g or some shit in classic right now I'm sure - but lets be honest - what do you really spend gold on past a few mounts and gear - in classic? It's not really how classic worked IMO

Quote Originally Posted by the goons View Post
    It's gg for classic's economy. People have exploited the layering which caused them to reset instances non stop. People have farmed tons of gold until it just got fixed recently.

People now will inflate the auction house with items with high prices. Most people won't be able to afford anything.
    Good. Because barely anyone had any gold to begin with, which meant prices for many products were close to the vendor value or even below. Maybe now things will actually be worth something. The gold will spread.

Quote Originally Posted by Cidzor View Post
    This.

Also, didn't Blizzard say they're investigating players who did it and will punish accordingly? I imagine all the stuff those players "earned" through the exploit will get taken away, at the very least (if they don't also see the business end of a banhammer).
    Did they say that? If so, I missed it.

Wouldn't be the first time I missed something...

Quote Originally Posted by Jurwi View Post
    He probably means people sent him Silk cloth 30s a stack (vendor price), and he then created bandages from them, and sold the bandages for 40s a stack. For some reason huge amount of Classic players are too dumb to realize that bandages are worth more than their materials to vendor.
    Yeah but that is A LOT of bandages if he made 200g from it. But hey, whatever works.

Quote Originally Posted by Charge me Doctor View Post
    No, people were selling it at 30 silver per stack, i was buying it and converting to bandages, then selling them to a vendor for 40
    Someone helped me figure it out a couple of post above. Feeling quite silly now

I think I will use your method

Pandaren Monk
    5+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Necromantic View Post
    Did they say that? If so, I missed it.

Wouldn't be the first time I missed something...
    Well, they didn't specifically say what type of punishment, but they did say they're investigating and will take appropriate action. I am speculating here on what'll happen to the players who took part in the layering abuse, but at the very least, Blizzard will usually take away anything players gained through exploits/cheats once said players are caught.

I remember cases in live WoW where some guilds got world-first boss kills using exploits, and Blizzard took away all their gear/achievements that they earned from it, and all the players in the raid group got a temp ban.

Oh look, a burner account is making factually incorrect, and stupid statements.

Why isn't there a minimum post limit before people can create a new thread? It seems like such a simple idea...

Quote Originally Posted by Cidzor View Post
    Well, they didn't specifically say what type of punishment, but they did say they're investigating and will take appropriate action. I am speculating here on what'll happen to the players who took part in the layering abuse, but at the very least, Blizzard will usually take away anything players gained through exploits/cheats once said players are caught.

I remember cases in live WoW where some guilds got world-first boss kills using exploits, and Blizzard took away all their gear/achievements that they earned from it, and all the players in the raid group got a temp ban.
    Ok, if that's what they said, I'd roll my eyes.

I talked to a guy who actually worked as a moderator for them. He said that when their company states "the appropriate action", it's a loose term because sometimes they determine that the appropriate action is no action at all. When people hear it, it gives them comfort as many automatically think actual justice will take place.

The thing I think is lame is people farming MC with this exploit, ran into a guy with a full tier set and basically every other slot was epic too, was a bit sus. But I think those dudes will get punished. (Or he got absurdly lucky)

A fair few people in this thread saying others don't know how the economy works, then demonstrating their own ignorance.

Here is why a few percent of people can vastly affect the economy by having an excess of currency.

It isn't that they are going to list stuff that people can't buy, what they are going to do is happily buy slightly more expensive commodities from the average pleb. The average pleb might get a bit more than otherwise for selling his silk.

Over time what happens is that the normal goods (without regulation) go up in price.

It is a fundamental law of economics that if you inject money into the economy, the value of that money is decreased - not because of expensive things going up in price, but because of cheap things going up in price.

Challenge Mode : Play WoW like my disability has me play:
    You will need two people, Brian MUST use the mouse for movement/looking and John MUST use the keyboard for casting, attacking, healing etc.
    Briand and John share the same goal, same intentions - but they can't talk to each other, however they can react to each other's in game activities.
    Now see how far Brian and John get in WoW.

I'm more interested in knowing the point of selling silk cloth for 33silver a stack on the AH when it's 30 silver vendor price, 1.50s to deposit it and 2 silver AH cut.

the economy is going to inflate a lot more from more and more people reaching lvl 60 where mobs simply drop more gold than on lower levels, than anything else.

even if layering itself and layering abuse injects a significant amount of gold into the economy right now, that in itself will just get inflated away by that process in no time.

Quote Originally Posted by Charge me Doctor View Post
    No, people were selling it at 30 silver per stack, i was buying it and converting to bandages, then selling them to a vendor for 40
    Also, buying crafting mats from vendors, marking them up and selling on AH for profit works well

Quote Originally Posted by schwarzkopf View Post
    A fair few people in this thread saying others don't know how the economy works, then demonstrating their own ignorance.

Here is why a few percent of people can vastly affect the economy by having an excess of currency.

It isn't that they are going to list stuff that people can't buy, what they are going to do is happily buy slightly more expensive commodities from the average pleb. The average pleb might get a bit more than otherwise for selling his silk.

Over time what happens is that the normal goods (without regulation) go up in price.

It is a fundamental law of economics that if you inject money into the economy, the value of that money is decreased - not because of expensive things going up in price, but because of cheap things going up in price.
    yeah but how do you differentiate that from the normal inflation that happens naturally on fresh servers, let alone show it's significant?

Brewmaster
    7+ Year Old Account

yet they didnt get gold, they got materials.

if the server have 1000g and 100 ore, and someone exploited to get 1000 more ore, then the server will still have 1000g and 1100ore, the only thing that is going to happen is having that 1000g into some handful of people, or ore price dropping into dirt cheap.

Quote Originally Posted by ReVnX View Post
    You mean you sold Silk cloth?

How have you farmed over 13k Silk cloth? I'm genuinely curious
    I am genuinely curious as well.

Who cares? The bans will be issued out.
    Don't be salty because you weren't smart enough to take advantage of it.

The Patient
    7+ Year Old Account

First of all my stance on this: Perma ban all of the involved and as much as possible remove any ill gotten gains from circulation.

Regarding the effect of this on the economy: its going to be negligible at best. The amount of GOLD actually farmed by this was surely inconsequential and no greater than what had been generated if these instances had been farmed normally.
    The generated "wealth" was mainly in the perceived value of the BOE drops, but no actual materials amount of money (Gold) could have been generated from repeatedly killing an instance end boss.

Quote Originally Posted by horbindr View Post
    yeah but how do you differentiate that from the normal inflation that happens naturally on fresh servers, let alone show it's significant?
    That's done by determining what percentage of the total economy is the 'fake' gold. That is pretty much exactly what the ultimate inflationary impact is.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Teaon View Post
    yet they didnt get gold, they got materials.
    They got 'value' ... that is all that counts.

Challenge Mode : Play WoW like my disability has me play:
    You will need two people, Brian MUST use the mouse for movement/looking and John MUST use the keyboard for casting, attacking, healing etc.
    Briand and John share the same goal, same intentions - but they can't talk to each other, however they can react to each other's in game activities.
    Now see how far Brian and John get in WoW.