Page 29 of 54 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    1. Show me a video of full 58's in greens clearing raids.

2. This is purely opinion. I dislike retail trees because every class has the same selections. I can 100% guarantee you my leveling selection in classic is 1 of a kind.

3. It is about the journey. People ruined their own classic experience by downloading addons and reading all over the internet full of guides instead of just playing the game they once did. If "Questie" wasn't a thing, there would be 99% less levels 60's right now. Yes addons existed back then, but hardly anyone knew what they were or how to even get them. I have not rushed anything or joined AOE dungeon farm groups because it defeats the purpose of the game imo. This comes down to play how you want and don't worry about others.

4. I have talked to more people in Classic in the past 2 weeks than I have in retail in the past 2 years. Helping others matters. Guilds matter. Friends matter. Retail is all about me me me and you don't 'need' anyone else.

5. I haven't heard of 1 person having a problem of getting / starting a group. It's very easy actually..

6. You mean you actually have to ask for help?? Wow, what a concept. Just because someone 10 levels above is helping, doesn't mean it's a "carry". It's more than just completing the task. Back in Vanilla, if someone 10 levels higher helped me with something, i was awestruck that they took the time to help a peon like myself.

7. The game is amazing for casuals which is why it was/is the #1 game in the world. You just want instant gratification. Kill 5 mobs and turn in quest 100 times per zone is not fun like retail. Quit worrying about others beating you to 60 and enjoy the game for what it is. Being 60 in 3 days isn't how the game was designed to be played.

Overall, your post is just whining.

Most of those no one ever claimed anyway the rest you are just plain wrong.

Literally all those "myths" except the first one are true. We're 3 weeks into the release and the number of 60s is what? Half of a percent of the playerbase? OP is very confused.

Quote Originally Posted by Snackpack View Post
    Pretty much everything in the OP is invalidated by the amount of bias, hyperbole, and confusing streamers with the other 99% of the population. Using sweeping generalizations like "all" and "everyone" without any evidence behind it is a sure-fire way to not be taken seriously.
    I was going to make a post about how OP shouldnt bother posting on a forum about a game he doesnt like, but this thread has almost 30 pages so clearly this is the kind of topic that interests MMO champion forum goers.

Maybe it's just some self-fulfilling prophecy stuff going on here.

People are like: Classic is shit, they play Classic, they get annoyed fast 'cause they have to think about stuff and make correct decisions if they want to reach 60 during their lifetime, stop playing, coming back here and claiming that everything they told us before suddenly came true.

The interesting fact about this:
    I don't know anyone who would consider any claim other than nr. 1 to be "true". Maybe except for the talent system... my personal opinion is clear: There are so manyy talents that I would like to select but can't due to the lack of points while I have ONE talent row selection in Retail which changes from time to time. The rest of my Retail talents are set in stone and will never changge AND are crappy designed anyway so I'm glad that I don't have to use them....

Quote Originally Posted by ihate2beapessimist View Post
    I was going to make a post about how OP shouldnt bother posting on a forum about a game he doesnt like, but this thread has almost 30 pages so clearly this is the kind of topic that interests MMO champion forum goers.
    Well, half of the posts are made by people who are like the OP, so it's just a kind of auto-sustaining circle-jerk deliberately put at the wrong place.
    Last edited by Akka; 2019-09-16 at 05:41 PM.

Just a comment on (4). This classic is not exactly old classic. With layering, there are much more players on a single realm that it used to have, I assume.
    When we played vanilla and I hit lvl 60, there were only that many people I could do dungeons with. You actually got to know each other.
    /who 60 warlock was showing maybe 10 players if not less, it could be like one ot two at some moments - you got to know most of them.
    If you'd been an asshole and guildless, you were pretty much gauranteed to not find a new group for a while, until new people catch up.

If blizz wanted to recreate old day communities, they'd have to avoid layering mechanics and just allow a free server transfer like once a month.

Azerate created a nice write-up but then shits on his own post by vibing it all as fact it seems to me. It is all very debatable points and I suppose it is true for him but that is for him, not for a lot of us. The attempt to paint it as fact is just a tad sketchy and gutter-like. Think about his own bias, obviously has an agenda I believe. Not going to check out his post history but I would bet a lot of them reference Classic wow and his disdain for it. Why is that I wonder? I guess that is his own demon I suppose. He could use some time looking inward instead of all the energy shitting on the game. Have to check that bias and and agenda at the door Azerate, doesnt look good on you bro.
    ** When you realize the person you're talking to is so clueless that they think you're the idiot **

Quote Originally Posted by Specialka View Post
    You do realize that the iron man challenge rate this challenge as EXTREMELY DIFFICULT? They are using white gear and no talent and a lot of other rules.

But still, if you use the items from quest and no heirloom, it is not that easy.
    there is no one ruleset for iron man challenges. the main objective is to not die and MOST people have no trouble until a lag spike kills them and it logs the death (the "official" iron man challenge pulls data from the blizz armory and if you die, it shows up)

the extra restrictions were SPECIFICALLY BECAUSE it was too easy by default

it's why one guy leveled to max naked. that's how easy leveling is now. one guy picked herbs and never left the pandaren starting zone. 1 guy killed boars and only boars. 1 guy mined. 1 guy pvp'd and didn't die once.

it's not possible to level naked in classic and the iron man challenge would require a metric shit ton of luck because 1 bad respawn gets on you whlie you're fighting 2 already and you're fucked.

there is no more discussion necessary, leveling in classic is harder than any type of leveling that can be done on retail. the difference in power level is just nowhere close and so much is built in

even the "no talents" isn't taking into account that BY DEFAULT you get your class/spec's base talents that would require points in classic

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Elhana View Post
    Just a comment on (4). This classic is not exactly old classic. With layering, there are much more players on a single realm that it used to have, I assume.
    When we played vanilla and I hit lvl 60, there were only that many people I could do dungeons with. You actually got to know each other.
    /who 60 warlock was showing maybe 10 players if not less, it could be like one ot two at some moments - you got to know most of them.
    If you'd been an asshole and guildless, you were pretty much gauranteed to not find a new group for a while, until new people catch up.

If blizz wanted to recreate old day communities, they'd have to avoid layering mechanics and just allow a free server transfer like once a month.
    there is no "old classic", that's vanilla. vanilla was retail in 2004-2007, classic is the 1.12 relaunched version of that (end of vanilla, 6 months before bc). classic is now, vanilla is then

I remember we were told by some all knowing individuals that the only reason there was any population on private servers was because it was free.

Quote Originally Posted by Methodd View Post
    I remember we were told by some all knowing individuals that the only reason there was any population on private servers was because it was free.
    I was told Classic was never going to happen. Adamant it would never happen, for sure it will never happen. Then it happened. Then rose-colored glasses and you won't like it. Loved it. Now the go-to is come here and shit on it. I suppose that is fair, many of us shit on Retail for a while now but I guess the difference is that we stopped because we do not have to play Retail, we have a choice. People on Retail do not like that choice, it fuels their agenda. Their agenda is that they are afraid. Afraid that people will go from Retail to Classic, which has happened and they do not like it. That's it in a nutshell.
    ** When you realize the person you're talking to is so clueless that they think you're the idiot **

Quote Originally Posted by Grogo View Post
    I was told Classic was never going to happen. Adamant it would never happen, for sure it will never happen. Then it happened. Then rose-colored glasses and you won't like it. Loved it. Now the go-to is come here and shit on it. I suppose that is fair, many of us shit on Retail for a while now but I guess the difference is that we stopped because we do not have to play Retail, we have a choice. People on Retail do not like that choice, it fuels their agenda. Their agenda is that they are afraid. Afraid that people will go from Retail to Classic, which has happened and they do not like it. That's it in a nutshell.
    Fortunately, Forums dont change the outcome or the future of this game.

If i belived it did, i would be mad everyday watching Classic subforum frontpage.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Azerate View Post
    Classic will soon be 3 weeks old and for many of us it's been a colossal experience in various different ways. On launch day, all my guildies and almost all my B-Net friends were desparately trying to get in, to have this old school experience. Many hours and days of gameplay have been devoted to Classic since then, and during that time we all verified the things we've been told over the months and years leading to the Classic launch ourselves. The hype train is slowing down and by now most people have quit the game already and I'm about to follow. So what about that hype we were being fed, mostly by influencers, streamers and youtubers turned out to be untrue?

1. Classic raids are very hard.

This has already been extensively discussed in other threads, but nonetheless I wanted to get this out of the way first. This was heavily pushed as one of the selling points of Classic. How many hours you have to spend on farming consumables, how many hours you have to spend on getting this and that...in the end it turned out that people below the level cap in greens are able to clear the raids. The only difficulty in clearing the raid is actually getting to level 60.

2. Old talent trees are better than the current ones

This is something that was advertised not only with Classic in mind, but in general in any discussion about the talent system in the current game. These initial weeks of people having access to Classic has shown that not only are those old talents not interesting (the vast majority of them just being +1% dmg on ability), but they also allow no options to pick at all, because resetting them costs a fortune. Depending on the class, about 2-4 talents in the whole tree actually make a difference in your gameplay. The rest is filler that doesn't give any tangible power up.

3. It’s about the journey, not the race to 60

Probably one of the most pushed ideas by all the veteran/elite players/streamers. What ended up happening was of course all those people who were pushing this idea went and grinded dungeons in raids with premade groups. Various excuses were employed, but in general the truth was laid bare for everyone to see. Turns out it’s not about the adventure in the zones, as that’s just boring grindfest of poorly balanced quests. It’s getting to the cap as fast as possible that is important, and people just playing normally are treated as some weirdos wasting their time. And for good reason - questing seems to be one of the worst possible ways to level up in Classic. Instance grinding, layer hopping, or just simple mob grinding in one spot are all faster.

4. Classic incentivizes player interaction, so everyone will suddenly become sociable and make friends

This just isn't the case. We can blame the current times and how people are in general these days, but I'm willing to bet it's been like that years ago too. People don't socialize. Sure, they do group up for quests, because those quests necessitate that. They sometimes say "hi", "bye" or "warrior taunt the mob" but usually nothing beyond that. There is absolutely nothing different about grouping in Classic in comparison to grouping through lfg-type systems in retail wow. People enter a party, they do the task, they leave, and never speak to each other again.

5. Getting into a dungeon group won't be a problem because there's no ilvl, r.io, achievements and armory.

False. Everyone and their mother spends their whole day on twitch now, and they already know the “leveling meta” for dungeons. Different class, or a spec without specific aoe abilities the party leader wants? No invite. And sure, I'm not saying you won't ever find a group for dungeon, and you can always make your own group, but about 80-90% of the groups advertised past level 40 are for specific classes and specific comps only. Yes, you will be able to do a dungeon run for quests while leveling, but it will take a long while looking through the "meta only" group advertisements to find one that just wants you as a player, not as an aoe mage. Other than that, thanks to loot options in Classic, most of the groups usually have a list of "reserved items" that you have to agree to pass on when you join the party. So which is worse, requiring a higher RIO, or asking that you pass on 10 items that you actually need?

6. Class quests, the holy grail of class fantasy

Class quests are the epitome of the antiquated game design. Not only are they fully skippable, which makes them horrible for people who are not playing the game on rails following a complete leveling guide for their class, but they often also require a group, and the ability to kill an enemy that is like 10 levels above your current level. For many of those quests you literally have to ask for boost, or you'll not complete them. Them being fully skippable also means that you may end up at a level cap while lacking skills essential to your class. Not only are those quests fully skippable, they also give no mention of the actual final reward in the game itself, so again, you have to follow 3rd party guides to even know what's coming.

7. Classic is a great game for casuals, much better than modern WoW

It is obviously not. In no way, shape, or form. Leveling is broken, imbalanced and just badly designed. Quests are few and far between, and you have to juggle 3-4 zones at once to even keep doing them. Otherwise you just have to grind mobs. As for the mobs themselves, you often die while fighting 1 mob that is on your level on lower. It's not even about everything taking long, it's about you wasting a lot of time if you don't know the proper route or not paying like 10$ for the proper questing addon that will take you through stuff you need to do. Leveling in Classic while not having any prior knowledge or memorized routes is just a pain. But okay - let's say you are a casual and you reach the level cap in a month or two. What can you do? You can level your professions, maybe farm some gold for an epic mount...content ends. You can always level an alt I guess, but why put yourself through that hell again? There is absolutely nothing to do in Classic if you don't plan to raid in it, which is why I personlally quit on level 42. The grind has become really tredious, and I would put myself through it if there was something waiting at the end - and there's not. I'm not afraid of long grinds, I've reached max overal level in the original Runescape 2 (the one osrs is based on) years back. And I'm grinding some stuff on retail wow for years now, on 30 characters. There needs to be an incentive though, and there is none in Classic.

So these are the main ones I know about. If you have any other myths that were completely debunked by Classic's release feel free to post.
    4 is debatable.
    6 is a downright lie, i cant skip warlock quests, or shaman quests, or warrior quests. They give me abilities necessary for my class to function properly.
    7 is open for debate too.

The rest is kinda right, still an extrapolation, but I do understand that in order to discuss this, some extrapolation is required.

The third point, while is true that people are way less about the journey, the world is populated by people that are leveling at their own pace, hell I am one of them, to this day my highest level is 13, it is true that i keep making alts, but regardless, it is about the journey for me.
    I don't want solutions. I want to be mad. - PoorlyDrawnlines

1) Everybody expected Classic Raids to be a joke, who said they were supposed to be hard? there is barely any mechanic to do. Many expected LFR difficulty level because back then people had no idea what to do.
    2) Personally I prefer the old talents to the new ones because you were allowed flexibility between specs, current talent tree is limited to one spec only. You are a mage, not a "frost mage". It's a matter of taste.. anyways, it's a cookie cutter one way or the other.
    3) I'm doing all the quests.. no grind, so not sure why you believe it's only a grind. I don't doubt people who did the beta tried to rush more since they already did the questing..
    4) I had a lot more interations than in BFA so far, and also I recognized many people, something I've barely been able to do in a long time due to cross-realm and other stuff in retail.
    5) I guess I'm not part of "everybody and their mother" since I don't watch Twitch (nor do I see the point of doing so)... /shrug but my experience is, you will always bring pure dps classes because of the hybrid tax, it's not new, it's been that way for a while. I don't really enjoy doing dungeons with druids because if I die I always have to run back, but that's life.
    6) Class quests are not fully available yet.
    7) I don't know who told you that, but after 12 years of hearing the exact opposite that retail WOW is too casual.

I'm sorry your experience is not what you expected, but obviously it's your opinion, and I don't share it.

Quote Originally Posted by Azerate View Post
    Tactic? The things I pointed out are 100% factual points about the game, which many people seem to have taken personally. None of the things I mentioned were proven wrong, I'm only getting constant "ree I don't agree go play BFA" or "my guild is still playing and having fun" posts. There's been very little valid criticism towards my points, and I debunked most of it.

People often make the mistake of perceiveing a faulty product as an extension of their self, and thus take offence when someone makes fair criticism of it.

I posted multiple times I liked playing Classic. You might need to practice your reading comprehension.

Except the part about people thinking Classic is the better game is a tall tale that gets pushed by influencers and forum fanboys. In reality that is not so and I have posted a lot of evidence in this thread against this. I almost don't blame you, many people get conned by the vocal minority.

I'm a player of both, therefore I have the right to comment on issues I find with each of them.

Yeah, fanboyism is a bad thing in general. I like WoW and consider it among my all time favorites, but this does not mean I am blind to it's disadvantages. It's kind of sad many others want to glorify everything about the game and pretend the downsides aren't there.

The phases of classic will come to an end and your gear will be more useless than any of the gear you earn in retail wow, because that one at least survives as transmog and/or in your void storage until the next expansion. Classic will just end.

I'm not sure with all these "blog accusation" posts. Maybe it's supposed to be some kind of insult, but I just take it as those posters not being able to read more than 3 sentences in one post, which just gives me a smirk every time. This thread turned out to be a pretty well collated list of classic myths that fell apart, which is also confirmed by the amount of fanboy tears flowing in replies. The anger in some posts suggests a lot of unhealthy emotional attachment and being unable to see through the hype.

Glad you're having fun. I hope you realize you can still have fun, while some things in the game area badly designed and not exactly like they were hyped to be?

1 - yes, a lot of people have said this, on this very forum, even in this very thread you have people still arguing that MC is harder than mythic raids in BFA (one individual even said they can clear mythic endboss of bfa in day 1 playing)
    2 - if you feel like +1% parry on a dps talent tree is "some progress" then yeah, but that's just lying to yourself
    3 - starter zones are packed...great, I think the fact that you used those to prove something says everything
    4 - might be a server issue, but I doubt it, I think you're just posting this because there is no way to verify your realm is different to every single one, where absolutely nothing is being said in zone chats, some people talk in LFG chat, that's it
    5 - good for you
    6 - yes, because something pops up to tell you that you have an important quest to do, it makes a world of difference
    7 - "rofl" - is that your argument? basically you have nothing to disprove this
    i like it when ppl confuse their oppinion with „the truth“. lol. you are a joke. have a nice life.

Anybody that says classic is not hard clearly hasn't done sigil of strom quest chain as a rogue and warrior party.
    I spent the whole fucking day trying to finish it. Everybody was avoiding it like the plague it was but I did it.

first 2 parts easy, just keep cursing to damned rng goods.

3rd part, warrior charges in fears 2 cavalary we nuke the vallorcall get the sigil run like the bitches we are.

4th part...
    get into a fucking ally base and kill a fucking elite with 2 vindicators. kill one > die > corpse run before it spawns > sap the other > sap ends in 3rd second > fear > nuke the guy, get the sigil > die > corpse run.

5th part > get back to the same fucking place into the graveyard > die inside > corpse run > see the 3 fucking caretakers > rush in fear > open the tomb get the quest done run like the bitches we are.

hand in the quest and get a motherfucking green mail chest and a fucking buckler.
    I didn't mention about the failed tries thanks to the alliance players. god damn 60 hunter multi-shot oneshotted us like maybe 6 times. then other random allies.

10/10 would do it again to get that buckler. 40silver...

Quote Originally Posted by WowClassic View Post
    Lol the excuses retailers come up with to help them sleep at night

I'm on a random EU realm but whatever helps you C O P E.

You should prob change your attitude because many aspects of classic will soon be coming to retail, otherwise it will be dead!
    I feel sorry for the classic community for having to share a server with guys like these ones, you also believe that classic raids are hard i assume, since thats the first requirement to be part of the meme delusional part of the classic community.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Gref View Post
    Anybody that says classic is not hard clearly hasn't done sigil of strom quest chain as a rogue and warrior party.
    I spent the whole fucking day trying to finish it. Everybody was avoiding it like the plague it was but I did it.
    1/10 on reading, it literally says that classic raids are hard is a myth, not that classic as a whole is hard, maybe practice that a bit before coming here bud.
    Last edited by Frozenbro; 2019-09-17 at 01:14 AM.

Tl;dr of OP's post: Please come back to BFA I'm lonely.

Quote Originally Posted by anon5123 View Post
    The fact that you think "more mechanics = harder" is raw denial.

C'thun has less mechanics but is insanely harder than most retail bosses.
    You cant honestly believe that, or are you comparing to LFR?

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by snackfeat View Post
    Tl;dr of OP's post: Please come back to BFA I'm lonely.
    tl;dr of your post - "i cant refute any of these statements, and refuse to accept classic is anything other than perfect, so instead of responding, i will attempt to attack retail"

Sorry but the game starts at 60