Thumbs up Classic+, TBC & Wotlk - Why it's all going to happen.

The hype and success of Classic can not be put in question. At first glance the original projections being thrown around were 250k players, maybe 500k players, however, the numbers landed somewhere between 1.5-2m.

Blizzard has unlocked an outstanding additional revenue stream but more importantly opened the doors for future directions which don't conform the linear progression path of expansion after expansion.

So, what's to come from here on?
    Is it Classic+, is it TBC, Wotlk, classic server resets?

Yes, yes, yes & yes is the answer.

TBC is an easy cash cow, 100% chance of happening.
    Wotlk is an easy cash cow, 100% chance of happening.

Where Classic+ comes in is it's an alternative path for those that don't want TBC but want something more then just Classic. The Classic community and the #nochanges movement are extremely sensitive and TBC divides the current Classic player base.

Classic has a timeline on it, to keep the cash cow going Blizzard has 3 directions to take:
    1. Keep the classic servers open and allow players to "move on" to TBC if they wish. (Divides the player base, keeps the classic players running in a circle and eventually falling off)
    2. Introduce Classic+ while keeping players in Azeroth (extends the life of current classic subs 2-3 years)
    3. Force TBC migration and divide the player base

Blizzard, being a company is going to obviously focus on producing & maintaining profits. Blizzard also understanding that the linear expansion path ends with a crappy version of the game (ie: retail).

Personally, I see Blizzard going the route of:
    1. 2021 - TBC Release w/ Option to play it
    2. 2023 - Wotlk Releases w/ the Option to play it
    3. 2021 - Classic Servers remain option and stay on Classic Version
    4. 2021 - Classic+ Opens up with the option to play it

Classic+ and TBC will be announced at the same time.

You don't know it is going to happen you just want it to happen.

Quote Originally Posted by Hoofisdead View Post
    Truly appreciate the thought that was put into your reply. Go get em out there tiger!

If classic retains adequate level of subscribers, then I would not see TBC relaunch happening in some form. Way too early to say that, despite of either of the bandwagons proclaiming classic's eternal success of timely demise.
    What is adequate demand, hard to say. Time will tell.

here's an argument.

there's literally nothing about TBC except for flying and and the new zones
    that didnt objectively improve upon classic.

every single class is better
    professions are better
    balance is better
    pvp rewards are more in line with pve in terms of commitment and skill and power.

so if there were to be a classic+

I'd rather it be a hybrid between classic and TBC+

opening classic+ and tbc at the same time is an incredibly stupid idea.

Quiting after classic wrath seems good imo as that was before the cataclysm that changed the world, that and BC and Wrath was by far the best expansions and the peak of wow.

I dont see classic + happening though, just TBC and Wrath servers like classic.
    Do you hear the voices too?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Hoofisdead View Post
    We don't know, sure, but if we had to guess, I mean if I had to guess, 99.9% likely at this point.

It's just common sense. Most of the legwork is done and a shit ton of people will resub if they do TBC

Dreadlord
    10+ Year Old Account
    I don't see Classic+ happening, unless it happens way down the road in a 3rd iteration of Vanilla (wow2)

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by ParanoiD84 View Post
    Quiting after classic wrath seems good imo as that was before the cataclysm that changed the world, that and BC and Wrath was by far the best expansions and the peak of wow.

I dont see classic + happening though, just TBC and Wrath servers like classic.
    This is most likely to happen. I don't think 'dividing the playerbase' is a major concern. The number of people playing retail is under 1 million and we don't see Blizzard panicking over population.

There will be classic servers, there will be BC servers, and there will be wrath servers and there will be the option to play 1, 2, or all 3 with the exact same character simultaneously.

I am Murloc!
    10+ Year Old Account
    Of course it's going to happen. Reviving classic was a much bigger undertaking than what it would be to revive later expansions. The ground work of the 1-60 experience and combat mechanics that haven't been used in over a decade have been pieced together and delivered with the release of classic. They said so themselves that if they went the route of doing TBC that it wouldn't be anywhere near the same undertaking as what it was to string classic back together. Northerend and Outland are largely untouched even in the live version of the game, and you can really fucking tell if you decide to even level in either of these land masses when approaching 60 today.

Classic is going to die down some, it's inevitable, and it's especially going to die down a lot when they release the last phase of classic. Blizzard released classic for two reasons. One is the good will it brings to the community that wants it, and two, it's a sound financial decision as well. Running two versions of the game at the same time gives you more value for your subscription and allows them to intertwine the two by complimenting one another between patches on live, and phases on classic. Running TBC or WoTLK would be pretty silly as it splits communities even further, at least until classic has run it's course.

I fully expect TBC and probably WoTLK to be released at some point, but neither are going to be up and running until the final phase of classic has been released. Classic right now not only gives people that wanted it what they want, but it also gives increased value of a WoW subscription when BFA is between content patches. When 9.0 is announced and released, half way through that expansion it sure would be nice to have something to bridge the two 6 month periods between major content patches. Classic won't be able to do that anymore simply because the final phase would have been released by then, which is the perfect opportunity for them to throw TBC into the mix, running tandem with 9.0, much like classic is doing now.

Classic+ is an interesting thought, but it's pretty messy and requires far more development than simply releasing TBC and maybe WoTLK. Do you continue with 40 man raids? Do you rewrite history in regards to zones and raids we might have already experienced on live? How do you change the classes? In the event of a new tier of content, how do you balance the power gap between a potential T4 or T3.5 to somebody who just hit 60? All important questions and considering the divide between the classic community on how things should be, it would fragment the community even more.

TBC and WoTLK have a super high chance of happening. I wouldn't say classic+ has a zero chance of happening, but it's pretty unlikely.

10+ Year Old Account
    Please post in one of the other threads about Classic+, What's Next or any of the others.

Closing. You can start with this one but there are others.

https://www.mmo-champion.com/threads...c-Won-t-Happen

https://www.mmo-champion.com/threads...-after-Classic
    "...money's most powerful ability is to allow bad people to continue doing bad things at the expense of those who don't have it."