Poll: Biggest Waste of a Villain

Page 8 of 10 FirstFirst ...
LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by HighlordJohnstone View Post
    Idc who you are, Garrosh will forever be the most wasted WoW antagonist of all time.
    That's a funny way of saying Lady Vashj.
    What did she get to do? Ohh ya she drained a swamp! Ohh so evil.
    Maybe she gets disqualified for not actually being evil IDK....

Garrosh: The writing for him was all over the fucking place. The True garrosh I will continue to remember, is the Garrosh from Stone Talon mountains, who condemned one of his soldiers for bombing a civilian tree of druids. The Honor-full Garrosh.

DeathWing: Deathwing could have been so much more, but his existence was plagued by the much too over enthusiastic work of redoing the entire Azeroth experience. It was obviously too much work for Blizzard, and ended up making mediocre dungeon, raiding and story experiences. The game needed the overhaul, but Deathwing would have been better used as a 2 Expansion villain.

Kael'Thas: I don't need to mention much if anything. TBC was purely a "Let's throw all the known characters at the players for coolpoints." Bring back Kael'thas and Lady Vashj.

Sargeras has got to be the biggest waste arthas was presented so well.
    “Choose a job you love and you'll never have to work a day in your life” “Logic will get you from A to Z; Imagination will get you everywhere.”

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Felixon View Post
    People tend to forget,how horrible the writers portrayed the leaders of the Burning Legion? How moronically stupid did the Archimonde die,and then the Deceiver himself. In the Legion, we didn't see a shred of Deceiver's true nature - I guess that's what happens,when the writers don't know a shit about the established Warcraft lore and write about the characters they don't know a shit.
    Always found it funny, ToS could have easily ended with the Avatar, then they could have saved Kil'jaden for the expansion ending boss fight. In doing so they would have also left another door open for one of the 3 big enemy groups to be used again at a later point. but no, we needed MORE, we can't just have a Demon commander we need a Titan! no wait TWO (and a 1/2) TITANS!!!!!

At the speed we are going I'm fully expecting us to have bested the voidlords, the secret death god, and the entirety of [As of yet undiscovered ultra evil goes here]'s Armies and He/She/it as well within the next 3-4 expansions. Heck we might even have time in between for Baine to be elected Warcheif then killed off, but before dieing he elects Gazlow as the Warchief, because the spirits.... I mean his ancestors told him to, who promptly drinks to much Kaja cola and starts another war.

Quote Originally Posted by Aucald View Post
    Deathwing, for me. I was really amped when Cata was announced and had Deathwing as its slated antagonist - I expected an intelligent and calculating villain as he had been depicted to be in "Day of the Dragon" and other supplemental sources, a villain with plans that could give Lich King Arthas a run for his money. What we got was another raving madman bent on destruction, just an overbearing brute without any nuance or gravitas that cackled and raved until his inevitable defeat in the expansion's closing denouement. Really a letdown for what had otherwise been a villain with great expectations.
    Absolutely, Aucald. Well said. Deathwing was just an excuse to re-do Azeroth, and, with a few other occasional "boo," appearances, that was that. What a shame. :-/
    "There is no end to education. It is not that you read a book, pass an examination, and finish with education. The whole of life, from the moment you are born to the moment you die, is a process of learning." by Jiddu Krishnamurti, Philosopher and Educator

10+ Year Old Account
    Xavius.

We heard about him for years, how the Emerald Dream was corrupted, how he was some kind of super-evil.
    And then in the course of a few quests and a dungeon we saw just how pathetic he really was, and his raid didn't do anything to make him any better.

The likes of Vashj & possibly Cho'Gall / Sinestra are also up there.
    Speciation Is Gradual

Quote Originally Posted by Whitedragon View Post
    Always found it funny, ToS could have easily ended with the Avatar, then they could have saved Kil'jaden for the expansion ending boss fight. In doing so they would have also left another door open for one of the 3 big enemy groups to be used again at a later point. but no, we needed MORE, we can't just have a Demon commander we need a Titan! no wait TWO (and a 1/2) TITANS!!!!!

At the speed we are going I'm fully expecting us to have bested the voidlords, the secret death god, and the entirety of [As of yet undiscovered ultra evil goes here]'s Armies and He/She/it as well within the next 3-4 expansions. Heck we might even have time in between for Baine to be elected Warcheif then killed off, but before dieing he elects Gazlow as the Warchief, because the spirits.... I mean his ancestors told him to, who promptly drinks to much Kaja cola and starts another war.
    I find it funny,that both of the Burning Legions commanders, the most fearsome faction, that has destroyed other planets, one of whom is a brilliant military leader,the other - master of conspiracies and deceiving - could have such stupid endings. They were written as badly as Malfurion during the War of Thorns - all had superpowers, yet, they couldn't use them and failed horribly.

10+ Year Old Account
    Nearby, preventing you from fast traveling.
    Quote Originally Posted by cparle87 View Post
    How do you mean? Up to Wrath Sylvanas had two goals. Get revenge on Arthas then join her loved ones in death. She accomplishes the former but when she attempts to do the latter she finds out there is no happy ending for her... ever. That would mess anyone up.
    The problem is that such a thing happened to begin with. The whole ‘hell’ thing, that Blizzard have been quite inconsistent with ever since, set Sylvanas on a path to villain batting that she can’t come back from.

It was a poor direction to take her in.

Quote Originally Posted by Vakir View Post
    Normally, polls are subjective and there is no wrong answer.

This particular time, though, any answer other than "Lady Vashj" or "Prince Kael'thas" is wrong.

Just because you didn't like where a story went (i.e. Garrosh) does not make it a waste. Similarly to people saying Sylvanas was a "waste of potential" when "potential" just means "exactly the fantasy I specifically want for a character."

Meanwhile, some characters were outright non-entities in the earliest days of the game. Those are the answer.
    Ok, tell me what story this guy had:

The Void. A force of infinite hunger. Its whispers have broken the will of dragons... and lured even the titans' own children into madness. Sages and scholars fear the Void. But we understand a truth they do not. That the Void is a power to be harnessed... to be bent by a will strong enough to command it. The Void has shaped us... changed us. But you will become its master. Wield the shadows as a weapon to save our world... and defend the Alliance!

Would've said Illidan if they hadn't fixed that in Legion. So Kael'thas. Or rather, it was a waste to make him a villain in the first place. Took years for Lor'themar to develop into something decent, and lately I'm kind of on the fence about him due to the whole Loyalist/Rebel philosophy split. Either way, he's not a rockstar like Kael.
    Now you see it. Now you don't.

But was where Dalaran?

I say ner'zhul, Kargath and killrog back in WoD.
    Maybe even fenris (thunderlord chieftain)

Quote Originally Posted by Murthag View Post
    I say ner'zhul, Kargath and killrog back in WoD.
    Maybe even fenris (thunderlord chieftain)
    Den'targ, 2nd most powerful character in all of warcraft 2, only deathwing is more dangerous and you solo him in WoD in a quest chain.

Quote Originally Posted by SinR View Post
    Grommash, the Villain turned Hero... yeah. So much build up for this badass motherfucker... only to have him disappear and die offscreen. Granted he had his warrior's death, but come on.
    Implied death offscreen is the surest way to survive whenever Blizzard wants te reuse a character.

That's how Deathwing survived multiple implied deaths.

I'm surprised at all of the Azshara responses. Did everyone really think she'd get her own expansion when she's been connected to N'Zoth for the entire history of WoW?

She had plenty of buildup: the Naga presence throughout the history of the game, Darkshore and Vashj'ir in Cataclsym, Azsuna and Tomb of Sargeras in Legion, and Stormsong Valley in BfA all contributed to her buildup. Then she gets an entire zone in Nazjatar where she's constantly taunting us. Finally, she gets her own raid in The Eternal Palace where she, ultimately, wins at the end by manipulating us to free N'Zoth AND she survives to fight us again at a later date, likely in N'Zoth's raid.

Other than her, literally, being the Lich King 2.0 and taunting us for an entire expansion, I have no idea what else everyone was expecting. I even think they did her character justice: arrogant, haughty, and a cunning manipulator. The only disappointing thing was not getting the actual city of Nazjatar as part of the zone, and that's not even really a problem with how Azshara was used.
    Professor of History at Dalaran University

Quote Originally Posted by AlmightyGerkin View Post
    I wanted the titans to actually do something and Sargeras more so since it was all about the Burning Legion
    Well, he was:

Trying to use Illidan as a vessel for his unrivaled Chaos (7.1.5, almost succeeded).

Trying to corrupt Azeroth (7.3, ALMOST succeeded).

Create a new Dark Pantheon (7.3, was SO close to succeeding).

And use the Unmaker to destroy both the Champions as well as Creation in general in order for the Void Lords to be perma defeated in their own way, kind of (7.3, was 2 seconds away from succeeding).

And Sargeras almost succeeded at all 3 of those. However, before getting jailed, he stabbed the Planet. Already, that's more than what most villains have accomplished on Azeroth (And yes, that includes Deathwing, and the Old Gods).

Oh boy the list of disappointments is quite big for me lol

Lady Vashj --> Her transition from warcraft 3 to BC expansion was terrible.
    Kael'thas --> Case even worse than Vashj. He came as someone who had to do tough choices to save his people and was turned into a fel infused maniac.
    Azshara --> One of the most awaited villains in WoW. Handled poorly in 8.2. At least they didn't kill her off.
    Kel'thuzad --> Just a final raidboss, no new extra lore attached.
    C'thun --> Just a vanilla final raidboss. Hope the new lore in silithus brings more stories of him, even though he is supposed to be dead?
    Sargeras --> I still don't understand if it was pure hate for Azeroth or fear for a Dark Titan that moved him to stab his sword in Silithus.
    Yogg-Saron --> Cool villain, but could have been better explored outside his raid in the expansion.
    Other (Explain) --> Sylvanas. What the hell did they do to her in BfA??

My veredict: My disappointment on what they did with the outland trio in the burning crusade (they tried to fix Illidan's fate in Legion) is still bigger than the other disappointments. Kael'thas fate is the winner for me.

Also Sylvanas as a clear runner up for the prize...
    Last edited by RangerDaz; 2019-10-04 at 12:27 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Tenebra View Post
    Ok, tell me what story this guy had
    None. Because he was from an alternative timeline and our Archimonde already died at Mount Hyjal.
    Speciation Is Gradual

Quote Originally Posted by Lollis View Post
    None. Because he was from an alternative timeline and our Archimonde already died at Mount Hyjal.
    No, it was the same Archimonde. He travelled through time and space to ensure the conquest of Draenor. He is a demonic lord of the Legion, so he transcends time.

And before you mention it, yes it is retarded, and yes, unfortunately it is canon.
    The Void. A force of infinite hunger. Its whispers have broken the will of dragons... and lured even the titans' own children into madness. Sages and scholars fear the Void. But we understand a truth they do not. That the Void is a power to be harnessed... to be bent by a will strong enough to command it. The Void has shaped us... changed us. But you will become its master. Wield the shadows as a weapon to save our world... and defend the Alliance!

Elemental Lord
    7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by AbalDarkwind View Post
    I'm surprised at all of the Azshara responses. Did everyone really think she'd get her own expansion when she's been connected to N'Zoth for the entire history of WoW?

She had plenty of buildup: the Naga presence throughout the history of the game, Darkshore and Vashj'ir in Cataclsym, Azsuna and Tomb of Sargeras in Legion, and Stormsong Valley in BfA all contributed to her buildup. Then she gets an entire zone in Nazjatar where she's constantly taunting us. Finally, she gets her own raid in The Eternal Palace where she, ultimately, wins at the end by manipulating us to free N'Zoth AND she survives to fight us again at a later date, likely in N'Zoth's raid.

Other than her, literally, being the Lich King 2.0 and taunting us for an entire expansion, I have no idea what else everyone was expecting. I even think they did her character justice: arrogant, haughty, and a cunning manipulator. The only disappointing thing was not getting the actual city of Nazjatar as part of the zone, and that's not even really a problem with how Azshara was used.
    Azshara shouldn't be on there IMO because it's pretty obvious her story isn't finished yet. my vote went to Deathwing because what should've been an encounter of epic proportions turned into a fight on his back and then against his head. Including Sargeras on this list is also a puzzling addition because honestly how were we meant to fight him? the dude is so big he dwarfs our planet, how exactly were we meant to fight such a being?

Quote Originally Posted by RangerDaz View Post
    Oh boy the list of disappointments is quite big for me lol

Lady Vashj --> Her transition from warcraft 3 to BC expansion was terrible.
    Kael'thas --> Case even worse than Vashj. He came as someone who had to do tough choices to save his people and was turned into a fel infused maniac.
    Azshara --> One of the most awaited villains in WoW. Handled poorly in 8.2. At least they didn't kill her off.
    Kel'thuzad --> Just a final raidboss, no new extra lore attached.
    C'thun --> Just a vanilla final raidboss. Hope the new lore in silithus brings more stories of him, even though he is supposed to be dead?
    Sargeras --> I still don't understand if it was pure hate for Azeroth or fear for a Dark Titan that moved him to stab his sword in Silithus.
    Yogg-Saron --> Cool villain, but could have been better explored outside his raid in the expansion.
    Other (Explain) --> Sylvanas. What the hell did they do to her in BfA??

My veredict: My disappointment on what they did with the outland trio in the burning crusade (they tried to fix Illidan's fate in Legion) is still bigger than the other disappointments. Kael'thas fate is the winner for me.

Also Sylvanas as a clear runner up for the prize...
    I agree with everyone except for Sargeras.

Sargeras stabbed the world out of pure impulse. His original plan was to corrupt her in his image, demonic, dark, purified in flame, like him. However, due to his neigh imprisonment at the Seat of the Pantheon, Sargeras decided that the only option left was for him to stab Azeroth.