Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by PC2 View Post
    That's true that racism/sexism/homophobia aren't based on anything but neither are your religious ideas. It's kind of like saying you can't hang out with an atheist because you're afraid your ideas might clash. It doesn't actually matter though because all you do is give them an explanation as to why their ideas are wrong.
    Not really and without going into forbidden topics. What someone’s spiritual beliefs are that have nothing to do to me are just that.

Where as racism, sexism or homophobia do. Not even sort of the same.

I’m not going to go into anyone’s beliefs to change them.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Puzzlesocks View Post
    It must feel pretty superior up there on your pedestal having all the best ideas and beliefs.

On topic, I definitely can to a degree. One of my best friends believes some truly stupid things, but I would rather be friends with a pleasant idiot than most random assholes on the street. I don't really care what you believe, it's all about how you present it, and if you are trying to force it on others. You can think <insert random crazy thing> and I'll be your friend as long as you aren't constantly trying to convert me or others to that view.

It's not the belief itself that matters to me, it's solely the presentation of the belief. It's one thing if someone chooses not to make Jewish friends, it's quite another if he wants to gather them into camps.
    That’s right my pedestal and I’m fine with my prejudices of racist, sexist or homophobes just as I’m fine with none being forced to be my friend or choosing not to based on my choices.

I don’t seek friendship with my enemies and I don’t consider my enemies lightly.

Someone disagrees about what flavor ice cream great.

If they disagree about how to treat a human being based on how they are born. Nope we can’t be friends.
    Milli Vanilli, Bigger than Elvis

Quote Originally Posted by Avskildhet View Post
    Someone's political beliefs is a huge hint to their values. There's a number of things that just isn't acceptable. Why would I want to be friend to someone who thinks I should leave the country or wants to allow discrimination of people like me? Who wants to ban abortion, taking away our autonomy? Why exactly should anyone be friends with someone who would see you suffer?
    Oh please... the moment you think someone is right leaning you probably think they're worse than Hitler.

Sorry, I don't blanket people like that as though they are some hivemind... there are all kinds of people on whatever spectrum. But I can tell you I tend to not hang around obnoxious people.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Doctor Amadeus View Post
    Not really and without going into forbidden topics.
    You realize you're the one who brought up race, gender, and sex, right? If you don't want to talk about forbidden topics then you shouldn't bring up forbidden topics in the first place.

What someone’s spiritual beliefs are that have nothing to do to me are just that.
    Actually they do have something to do with you because other people's spiritual beliefs effect society in general and they often get enacted into law.

Where as racism, sexism or homophobia do. Not even sort of the same.
    It is the same thing, they're all based on theories about how the world works. Not only that your religion is actually a major source of sexism and homophobia because it's literally written in the religious text.

I’m not going to go into anyone’s beliefs to change them.
    That's your choice, I think it's fun having debates.
    Last edited by PC2; 2019-10-09 at 07:01 AM.

If you're so far to the right you think abortion should be banned or people like me should leave or be deported or think discrimination is no problem then you're not just leaning right, you have gone off the deep end.
    Pro-Life liberals exist. Not everything is left/right. Like I said, all kinds of people on whatever spectrum.

Sure, by all means stray away from those wishing harm and hate if you know they actually think as such. Don't assume.

10+ Year Old Account
    You realize you're the one who brought up race, gender, and sex, right? If you don't want to talk about forbidden topics then you shouldn't bring up forbidden topics in the first place.
    In respect to the OT, I am not going into it specifically. Just talking about beliefs and conflict in general.

Actually they do have something to do with you because other people's spiritual beliefs effect society in general and they often get enacted into law.
    Yep, that is true.

It is the same thing, they're all based on theories about how the world works. Not only that your religion is actually a major source of sexism and homophobia because it's literally written in the religious text.
    Nope

That's your choice, I think it's fun having debates.
    There is nothing to debate about. Thus no reason to be friends.

A prolife liberal would be far to the right.
    "Far right" lol whatever. Well can say I wouldn't want to be YOUR friend. Rather obnoxious to me, everything is "far right" to you...

7+ Year Old Account
    There is nothing to debate about. Thus no reason to be friends.
    Hmm well I debate my friends about ideas every day. I just feel like it would be weird if everybody agrees with each other all the time, seems like a circle-jerk.

7+ Year Old Account
    Yes. I guess it's one of the caveats of not being a child or an idiot.

Quote Originally Posted by Daedius View Post
    "Far right" lol whatever. Well can say I wouldn't want to be YOUR friend. Rather obnoxious to me, everything is "far right" to you...
    Some people think only the global spectrum exists. Others only their regional spectrum.

10+ Year Old Account
    Hmm well I debate my friends about ideas every day. I just feel like it would be weird if everybody agrees with each other all the time, seems like a circle-jerk.
    Yeah well you sound kind of needy and look for problems where there doesn't need to be any because you are bored. I am not into that. People I know and love and friends don't all agree.

But they all stand strong in their convictions and share the values of how to treat people based on their actions, not their race, gender or orientation. There is no wavering on those issues, there just is no middle ground none. There is no place on this planet or in my world for that bullshit.

It doesn't make the world fun to see people in pain due to nothing they have done besides being born. I am also sick of the debate with stupid people that can't fucking get it. It's 2019, people are different, and I rather deal with where human beings exist today with real problems not made up bullshit for entertainment or because everyone is clueless.

Circle Jerk exist with people who all think alike, and certainly enough special individuals who think the best society has to offer is to be an obnoxious racist, sexist, homphobic asshole.

Yes, I am fine with discriminating against people based on their actions and no I don't compromise and I don't care how everyone feels about that. Nor should I care about who you want to spend your time with.

Of course, I'm dating someone who has fairly different political views than mine. It's not usually a problem.

7+ Year Old Account
    People I know and love and friends don't all agree.
    Yeah that's the point here, not everybody around you has to agree.

Nor should I care about who you want to spend your time with.
    Then why enter the thread? The whole point of this thread is to read about other people's perspectives.

10+ Year Old Account
    Yeah that's the point here, not everybody around you has to agree.

Then why enter the thread? The whole point of this thread is to read about other people's perspectives.
    Sure you asked me mine and I responded.

We aren’t going to agree on the importance of staying true to ones values.

I don’t care if that doesn’t sound nice enough to people who make the choice I mentioned.

I take my values seriously.

I am friends with a lot of different people with whom I have different opinions with about regarding a great many things. I have friends that are left wing and friends that are right wing. I have friends who are atheists, agnostics, christians, and pagans. There aren't many beliefs out there that I consider to be complete dealbreakers.
    “The biggest communication problem is we do not listen to understand. We listen to reply,” Stephen Covey.

Herald of the Titans OnlineSamantha's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    That depends entirely on what we differ on. I am a lesbian so I could never be friends with someone who's anti-LGBT rights for example. If we differ on, like, something less personal than that? Sure, we could be friends. I mean it's not like I constantly discuss the death penalty with my friends anyway.
    Quote Originally Posted by Trumpresident View Post
    My words exactly. Manufacturing in the US is considerably more expensive than elsewhere, and part of that are savage regulations such as environment protection or minimum wages.
    Quote Originally Posted by Thunderaan View Post
    Saying that Wilson is a racist murderer is the same level of conspiracy as saying Sandy Hook didn't happen and the parents are in on it.
    I don't post that often, and when I do it's often in bursts. I always lurk though.

Conflicting beliefs? Yes. Inability to write 'you' and 'yours'. No.

Quote Originally Posted by OnlineSamantha View Post
    That depends entirely on what we differ on. I am a lesbian so I could never be friends with someone who's anti-LGBT rights for example. If we differ on, like, something less personal than that? Sure, we could be friends. I mean it's not like I constantly discuss the death penalty with my friends anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by OnlineSamantha View Post
    I'm a guy, but I usually don't care whether my co-players are male or female, although I have found a much friendlier attitude in women than in men. Plus, girls are much easier to talk to.
    Are you True Anarch?

Quote Originally Posted by Natta Lmo View Post
    if u support universal health care could u be friends with someone who opposes it? if u think death penalty should be abolished could u be friends with someone who wants the death penalty to stay?

how much different beliefs can it be from urs before u stop talking to them?
    If it's over things like apples versus oranges yeah, if it's over fundamentals and big rights-and-wrongs, no.

Since you have an extensive history of supporting big wrongs, I am totally not surprised you find yourself in a situation your more moderate peers refuse to talk to you, though. Might be time for some reflection.
    "My successes are my own, but my failures are due to extremist leftist liberals" - Party of Personal Responsibility

Prediction for the future

Quote Originally Posted by shadowdasher View Post
    I like to have a diversity of ideas and opinions around me. With one but, they can't be pretentious about it. Example, I'm pro-choice and a few of my friends are pro-life. We don't look down on each other for our opinions. I will say though, I can't stand one of my wife's friends. She is a far far lefty, believes the gov should tell us how to run our lives(as long as it's a leftist gov). And she's very pretentious about it and very touchy. She literally sat in her basement and cried for three days after Trump won.
    Oh what does she believe the government should do? It is hard to tell with you guys what is actually too far and “controlling” life and what is just pure hyperbole.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Lane View Post
    Does it? She's frequently complained over the years about her inability to make friends. I feel sorry for her and I've considered several times sharing why I never pursued a friendship, but I don't think it would go over well. Maybe if I hadn't seen her FB posts things would have gone differently, I don't know. The impression I got was that I would have to perpetually walk on eggshells and that's not what I'm looking for in a friendship. I'm reminded of trying to watch a Russell Peters comedy special with a couple of friends. Two of us were cracking up, the third was so offended we had to stop. It's not fun for anyone when you can't share a sense of humor.
    It does so far. You’ve been pretty vague she’s an sjw because you deem her one? Exactly what makes her an sjw? You have humor people find offensive and therefore you can’t be friends with them? One you sound judgmental since people who have different views are sjws it seems and two you don’t seem to be doing much introspective into the why of things and instead dismissing.

What was the joke like? Why did they not like it? Why do your friends have to have the same humor as you?

I don’t care as long they don’t talk about it all the time. I usually just nod my head and agree and hopefully get onto a different topic. It’s pretty hard to change someone’s mind politically or religiously. That’s something they have to do on their own.

Universal healthcare is a human right.

It just depends on how stupid their beliefs are honestly lol.