Page 18 of 89 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Kokolums View Post
    The west has no pressure to apply to China, unless you guys are willing to sign up for WW3 over this.
    If this was in Germany and a "right wing" party was at power and they used the military to silence and/or beat down civilian protestors... would you be fine with your government bowing to their power or doing nothing? I sure as hell wouldn't be.

Take the Turkey - Kurdistan situation which started just now.
    Turkey, a member of NATO, attacked a province where the Kurd people live. The Kurd people are/were allies of NATO and the USA in the war against ISIS, in this war the NATO allies and the US has helped the Kurds with training and resources to fight the war against our common enemy. In the war over 10.000 Kurd soldiers lost their lives, often side by side with NATO soldiers (including US troops). On October 8th the US, on direct orders by Trump (Trump was warned by 'everyone' not to do so), pulled out their remaining ~50 officers and personel from the Kurd region and the day after Turkey started bombing and invading the area.

So far NATO and the USA (Trump) has stated that they are extremely against Turkeys moves and sanctions are already in the works. But is that enough? If it was down to me I'd instantly freeze Turkey out of the NATO and have NATO troops and resources placed back in "Kurdistan", if Turkey doesn't back off then I'd go to war with Turkey.
    9thorder.com | Recruiting exceptional players!

If Blizzard were to speak out in favor of what China is doing, THAT would be a reason to hate them. But this? No. This is them trying NOT to get involved.

Expecting Blizzard to abandon its markets in China is incredibly stupid.

Quote Originally Posted by rhorle View Post
    Rules being vague has nothing to do with enforcing or not. If Blizzard choose not to enforce it for one thing it opens them up to being sued when they enforce it for something else. Which creates even more problems for them then simply enforcing the rule as it stands in the first place.

- - - Updated - - -

It was office hours though. It was an official interview during an official event. It even had sponsors advertising during the interview. I have never said that employers, including Blizzard, should silence people when not doing "official" work. You are arguing for a situation that doesn't even apply in this case.
    I guess that's where one could discuss on where the lines between "work" and "not work" goes.

Quote Originally Posted by Dendrek View Post
    If Blizzard were to speak out in favor of what China is doing, THAT would be a reason to hate them. But this? No. This is them trying NOT to get involved.

Expecting Blizzard to abandon its markets in China is incredibly stupid.
    The bolded is them getting involved, FYI.

They're involved to protect their access to the market. They have a choice between living up to their values and supporting Democracy and human rights, and money. They're choosing money. That's sensible for a publicly traded company, but that doesn't mean that people won't call them hypocrites or that they won't face an onslaught of criticism as they currently are for putting money over human rights.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Shadoowpunk View Post
    Are you a politician or something? You failed again to quote the part where the rule was broken...yet again. Why are you avoiding quoting the exact part where it was broken? We would ALL like to know! Because no one knows!
    I copy and pasted the rule as you provided. It states what part was broken. But don't take my word for it. Read Blizzards official response https://playhearthstone.com/en-us/bl...pacific-ruling
    "Man is his own star. His acts are his angels, good or ill, While his fatal shadows walk silently beside him."-Rhyme of the Primeval Paradine AFC 54
    You know a community is bad when moderators lock a thread because "...this isnt the place to talk about it either seeing as it will get trolled..."

Quote Originally Posted by Huntingbear_grimbatol View Post
    If this was in Germany and a "right wing" party was at power and they used the military to silence and/or beat down civilian protestors... would you be fine with your government bowing to their power or doing nothing? I sure as hell wouldn't be.

Take the Turkey - Kurdistan situation which started just now.
    Turkey, a member of NATO, attacked a province where the Kurd people live. The Kurd people are/were allies of NATO and the USA in the war against ISIS, in this war the NATO allies and the US has helped the Kurds with training and resources to fight the war against our common enemy. In the war over 10.000 Kurd soldiers lost their lives, often side by side with NATO soldiers (including US troops). On October 8th the US, on direct orders by Trump (Trump was warned by 'everyone' not to do so), pulled out their remaining ~50 officers and personel from the Kurd region and the day after Turkey started bombing and invading the area.

So far NATO and the USA (Trump) has stated that they are extremely against Turkeys moves and sanctions are already in the works. But is that enough? If it was down to me I'd instantly freeze Turkey out of the NATO and have NATO troops and resources placed back in "Kurdistan", if Turkey doesn't back off then I'd go to war with Turkey.
    Is that a yes? Are you heading down to your local recruiter right now to sign up and fight ww3?
    TO FIX WOW:1. smaller server sizes & server-only LFG awarding satchels, so elite players help others. 2. "helper builds" with loom powers - talent trees so elite players cast buffs on low level players XP gain, HP/mana, regen, damage, etc. 3. "helper ilvl" scoring how much you help others. 4. observer games like in SC to watch/chat (like twitch but with MORE DETAILS & inside the wow UI) 5. guild leagues to compete with rival guilds for progression (with observer mode).6. jackpot world mobs.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Shadoowpunk View Post
    So point me where they broke the rule:

RULE:
    "Engaging in any act that, in Blizzard’s sole discretion, brings you into public disrepute, offends a portion or group of the public, or otherwise damages Blizzard image will result in removal from Grandmasters and reduction of the player’s prize total to $0 USD, in addition to other remedies which may be provided for under the Handbook and Blizzard’s Website Terms."

We THINK it was "public disrepute"

Meaning of disrepute:
    the state of being held in low esteem by the public.

How does this apply?
    It damages their public image in Mainland China where the government has control and everyone is jingoistic and patriotic, and public opinion on the protests is at best split.

Strictly speaking, inciting revolution or calling for protest is illegal in Mainland China. As a broadcaster, Blizzard is liable for allowing it to happen on their platform.

That's the justification for it.

Moreover, this didn't happen in the US, or at Blizzard's American offices. This was a tournament organized by Blizzard Taiwan and NetEase.
    Last edited by Kathranis; 2019-10-09 at 07:38 PM.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Huntingbear_grimbatol View Post
    I guess that's where one could discuss on where the lines between "work" and "not work" goes.
    But there is no discussion needed. It was an official video. It was an official interview. It was "work" content. If he did it from his own twitter account or a "fake" interview just to say that then you would have a point. It was 100% official with not doubts.
    "Man is his own star. His acts are his angels, good or ill, While his fatal shadows walk silently beside him."-Rhyme of the Primeval Paradine AFC 54
    You know a community is bad when moderators lock a thread because "...this isnt the place to talk about it either seeing as it will get trolled..."

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Edge- View Post
    They're involved to protect their access to the market. They have a choice between living up to their values and supporting Democracy and human rights, and money. They're choosing money. That's sensible for a publicly traded company, but that doesn't mean that people won't call them hypocrites or that they won't face an onslaught of criticism as they currently are for putting money over human rights.
    That is a little dumb to say. They are enforcing the rules. Regardless of the political message involved. They even officially stated they support the rights of people to say what they want and protest if they want. But rules are rules. If they bend it for this protest then they have to bend it for all protests. Whats next hearing anti-trump speech? Anti-Brexit comments? Abortion debates on official streams?

- - - Updated - - -

Sharing/spreading fake information is hardly doing this situation any good.

That is a little dumb to say. They are enforcing the rules.
    Their very vague rules that they didn't have to "enforce". Blizzard creates the rules, they can do whatever they want with them, including totally ignoring them.

They even officially stated they support the rights of people to say what they want and protest if they want. But rules are rules. If they bend it for this protest then they have to bend it for all protests. Whats next hearing anti-trump speech? Anti-Brexit comments? Abortion debates on official streams?
    No, they don't. They can bend them whenever they want, they're their rules and they have full control over them.

Sharing/spreading fake information is hardly doing this situation any good.
    It's a satire site, dude.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Tiase View Post
    so if someone was being raped and I ran away instead of helping, no one could hate me for not wanting to get involved right?
    Get fucking real, the fact that they banned him for a year, took his prize money and then did everything in their power to appease china is more than enough reason to hate them.
    But why haven't you and others hated them for years? That rule is nothing new. Hating them just because some one violated it is stupid. Where was the outrage a week ago? Years ago?

- - - Updated - - -

Their very vague rules that they didn't have to "enforce". Blizzard creates the rules, they can do whatever they want with them, including totally ignoring them. No, they don't. They can bend them whenever they want, they're their rules and they have full control over them.
    They can't just bend rules any time they want. Because it creates loop holes that others can sue them over when things are selectively enforced. Of course they had to enforce them because they next time they do a person can sue them to get their prize money back and "damages" by showing the precedent where they ignored the rule. It is like multi-accounting in Pokemon Go. It is against the rules but it can't be enforced because Niantic allows a guy to get away with 42 phones/accounts including official sponorship by different companies.

Quote Originally Posted by Kathranis View Post
    It damages their public image in Mainland China where the government has control and everyone is jingoistic and patriotic, and public opinion on the protests is at best split.

Strictly speaking, inciting revolution or calling for protest is illegal in Mainland China. As a broadcaster, Blizzard is liable for allowing it to happen on their platform.

That's the justification for it.

Moreover, this didn't happen in the US, or at Blizzard's American offices. This was a tournament organized by Blizzard Taiwan and NetEase.
    Finally someone makes a great point. You are indeed the first one showing any signs of superior intellect (>_<)

So it was a tournament taking place in China with Blizzard responsible for it.
    Now that makes everything more complicated.

Why is no one talking about this point of view?

I agree this would place Blizzard in a hard spot to be in...

The bolded is them getting involved, FYI.

By this logic, it's impossible for them not to be involved, no matter what they do. They were involved the moment tensions began in Hong Kong by not immediately pulling out of China's market at that time. And even if they had done that, they'd still be involved.

Blizzard got roped in by a player wanting to protest. If not for that, they'd be neutral to the situation. They have no obligation, nor have they expressed a desire, to support player protests. So this arbitrary "supporting Democracy" argument is just moralistic goal post shifting. What Blizzard did here is the reasonable thing for Blizzard to do. They aren't involved in the China-Hong Kong situation. And they shouldn't be. But people are happy to make that about them so that they can have a target for their righteous outrage.

That is a little dumb to say. They are enforcing the rules. Regardless of the political message involved. They even officially stated they support the rights of people to say what they want and protest if they want. But rules are rules. If they bend it for this protest then they have to bend it for all protests. Whats next hearing anti-trump speech? Anti-Brexit comments? Abortion debates on official streams?
    Blizzard is constantly virtue signaling, but when somebody insults the hand that feeds them, it's a no-no.
    And you cannot compare the "1st world problems" with what's happening in Asia which is basically a hostile takeover.

Besides the top officials of Blizzard didn't even come out to make a statement, only the Asian branch of Heartstone that's set in China, the ones that initiated the ban did.

Quote Originally Posted by Tiase View Post
    so if someone was being raped and I ran away instead of helping, no one could hate me for not wanting to get involved right?
    Get fucking real, the fact that they banned him for a year, took his prize money and then did everything in their power to appease china is more than enough reason to hate them.
    Then ask every company that does any business with China to end it. Or protest them all. How many of them are you actively protesting, I wonder?

I don't think you guys understand this situation at all.

There is ZERO chance of China allowing companies to call for insurrection within China. It just won't happen. China will cut off business dealings before they allow it. Even if there was a mass boycott of China by a slew of corporations, they wouldn't care. China's response would be to ban ALL of them as well as brazenly throw away all copyright protections and steal their tech outright.

It will never be allowed by China. Ever.
    TO FIX WOW:1. smaller server sizes & server-only LFG awarding satchels, so elite players help others. 2. "helper builds" with loom powers - talent trees so elite players cast buffs on low level players XP gain, HP/mana, regen, damage, etc. 3. "helper ilvl" scoring how much you help others. 4. observer games like in SC to watch/chat (like twitch but with MORE DETAILS & inside the wow UI) 5. guild leagues to compete with rival guilds for progression (with observer mode).6. jackpot world mobs.

Is that a yes? Are you heading down to your local recruiter right now to sign up and fight ww3?
    If it came to it? Yes. I'm a "home defense" reservist, military title. In Norway we have the active military, same as your armed forces. Then we have the "Heimevernet" similar to your National Guard, which is called to action in crisis events like natural disasters or war (including terrorism). As a reservists I'm called into action in my area if needs for it rise, I got a messed up knee (multiple surgeries and so on) which stops me from being on active duty or being a career military person.

But to answer your question...
    Yes, I would 100% fight against the country/countries who attacked my country or allies of my country.

I don't think you guys understand this situation at all.

There is ZERO chance of China allowing companies to call for insurrection within China. It just won't happen. China will cut off business dealings before they allow it. Even if there was a mass boycott of China by a slew of corporations, they wouldn't care. China's response would be to ban ALL of them as well as brazenly throw away all copyright protections and steal their tech outright.

It will never be allowed by China. Ever.
    Time to gather up the Eight-nation alliance once again.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Jshadowhunter View Post
    Blizzard is constantly virtue signaling, but when somebody insults the hand that feeds them, it's a no-no.
    And you cannot compare the "1st world problems" with what's happening in Asia which is basically a hostile takeover.
    Gotcha. Only what you think matters is important. Exactly why the outrage over Blizzard is dumb here. You only give a shit because it is China. As you say 1st world problems don't matter because it is a 1st world problem.