Thread: Ny'alotha

Page 1 of 4
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account

Ny'alotha

In the land of Ny'alotha there is only sleep...
    As a World of Warcraft fanboy, I am really disappointed that Ny'alotha is merely a content patch. The potential of an entire expansion based on Ny'alotha is now lost. As a Lovecraft fan, WoW is the closest I think we will get to playing a game based on the Lovecraft Mythos.

Really hoped to see Blizzard move the storyline deep into Lovecraft craziness in upcoming expansions. Should be interesting to see where the next expansion takes us.
    Quote Originally Posted by Osmeric View Post
    The main function of Mythic mode for most players is to act as a reminder that, compared to that 1%, they suck.

Quote Originally Posted by Fayenoor View Post

As a World of Warcraft fanboy, I am really disappointed that Ny'alotha is merely a content patch. The potential of an entire expansion based on Ny'alotha is now lost. As a Lovecraft fan, WoW is the closest I think we will get to playing a game based on the Lovecraft Mythos.

Really hoped to see Blizzard move the storyline deep into Lovecraft craziness in upcoming expansions. Should be interesting to see where the next expansion takes us.
    If you look at the pattern of content releases, the final patch has almost always contained assets prepped for the next expansion before its launch. I don't think it's any mistake that this next patch contains no new world geometry but large amounts of Black Empire and Old God related doodads and widgets and environment art. This isn't the end of the Old God story, don't worry, it's just the beginning. These are only, after all, the Visions of N'zoth.

At the very least, I expected Ny'alotha to be a WQ hub as well as a raid, not just a raid.

It's just disappointing to me that we don't even have a hub, we only have assaults. This is like if 7.3 had only the assaults on different planet scenarios and no Argus.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Yarathir View Post
    At the very least, I expected Ny'alotha to be a WQ hub as well as a raid, not just a raid.

It's just disappointing to me that we don't even have a hub, we only have assaults. This is like if 7.3 had only the assaults on different planet scenarios and no Argus.
    WQ hub with a long story arc with cutscenes. If I was a cutscene developer, Lovecraft's work would literally make me go all crazy about it. Imagine what CGI can do to that. Blizzard already makes awesome videos. Add to that old god mix. THis would have been just awesome.
    The main function of Mythic mode for most players is to act as a reminder that, compared to that 1%, they suck.

Quote Originally Posted by Fayenoor View Post
    WoW is the closest I think we will get to playing a game based on the Lovecraft Mythos.
    Really? I can think of no point in gaming history with more Lovecraftian games than now.

Yeah, Lovecraft-esque games have been a thing this year, unfortunately most of them have been underwhelming. Blizzard could have done so so so much things with a Nyalotha zone / mini-continent, e.g. Drustvar style, yet they give us one single raid. It's a shame they waste this. Even a bigger shame than Emerald Nightmare being only a raid (and one of the worst in recent years on top of that).
    MAGA - Make Alliance Great Again

To be quite honest, I'm a little over WQ hubs. Nazjatar bored me to tears. And it seems that from a cost/benefit perspective, it's just super inefficient to make something like Nazjatar. The zone events in Naz were a joke, and so all it became was yet another zone where you rush through repetitive WQs to get reward X. And for that you need a whole team of designers slaving away to create the landscape etc. Just so not worth it.

I'd rather have game modes that might be more interesting in repetition rather than some eye candy new zone that I don't want to be in because the content is boring.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by thesmall001 View Post
    If you look at the pattern of content releases, the final patch has almost always contained assets prepped for the next expansion before its launch. I don't think it's any mistake that this next patch contains no new world geometry but large amounts of Black Empire and Old God related doodads and widgets and environment art. This isn't the end of the Old God story, don't worry, it's just the beginning. These are only, after all, the Visions of N'zoth.
    Yes. That gives me hope. But then Aszhara was also merely a content patch.

The Undying Slowpoke is a Gamer's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Honestly Nyalotha doesn't even seem that Lovecraftian anymore. Looks like they decided to go "Ancient Egypt, But Black" instead.
    FFXIV - Maduin (Dynamis DC)

I honestly prefer it this way, it bleeding through into the world, much better then another zone that we wouldn't be able to fly in (on a side note, fuck Argus, worst zone design for ground mounts)

The Undying Slowpoke is a Gamer's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Onikaroshi View Post
    I honestly prefer it this way, it bleeding through into the world, much better then another zone that we wouldn't be able to fly in (on a side note, fuck Argus, worst zone design for ground mounts)
    Nah worst zone design for ground mounts is all of the Broken Isles and Kul'Tiras and Zandalar. Hope you like cliffs!
    FFXIV - Maduin (Dynamis DC)

Quote Originally Posted by Slowpoke is a Gamer View Post
    Nah worst zone design for ground mounts is all of the Broken Isles and Kul'Tiras and Zandalar. Hope you like cliffs!
    At least we can eventually fly there (now), we never got to fly in Argus and even the roads were packed with shit.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Slowpoke is a Gamer View Post
    Honestly Nyalotha doesn't even seem that Lovecraftian anymore. Looks like they decided to go "Ancient Egypt, But Black" instead.
    Lovecraft himself drew inspiration from ancient Egypt a LOT.
    In his first appearance in "Nyarlathotep" (1920), he is described as a "tall, swarthy man" who resembles an ancient Egyptian pharaoh.

Black Pharoah (Lovecraft) == Black Emeperor (WoW) worshipped by Brotherhood of the Black Pharaoh (Lovecraft).

The Black Prince as an aspect of Nzoth would be vry Lovercraftian.

Yeah I agree. Making it raid content only is a huge lost opportunity (...unless we go back there some day).

I'll be extremely dissapointed if we

A) Win against N'zoth
    B) N'zoth dies in any form.

Once the old gods are gone from azeroth that's the last great threat on land. Also...can we fucking actually lose for a change? Not a lich king we lost but got saved by "the light" but actually lose. Use our loss there as a springboard into something truly interesting for a change.

agreed, but it could be in more than two zones, theres a lot more titan facilities (some of which we still havent discovered)

Quote Originally Posted by Lolites View Post
    agreed, but it could be in more than two zones, theres a lot more titan facilities (some of which we still havent discovered)
    This is true, maybe they'll expand it, who knows.

Quote Originally Posted by thesmall001 View Post
    I hope so. It is said that last patch is teaser of next expansion. I hope we will still get Black Empire.
    https://www.mmo-champion.com/threads...lopment-thread
    Quote Originally Posted by Nevcairiel View Post
    If you are suggesting to take my Night Elfs Shadowmeld away, then please find some pike to run yourself through, tyvm.

This is true, maybe they'll expand it, who knows.
    perhaps, i mean ill be satisfied if its just how it is, if they add more ill be delighted

I'm less worried about us defeating N'zoth as I am Sylvanas and 'Death' turning N'zoth into a pawn in their own plan. I'll be severely disappointed if the last and craftiest of the old gods end up being a cog in another villain's machine.

Using Garrosh to set up the iron horde and then Gul'dan to set up the legion invasion were all fine and good, I don't want N'zoth to FINALLY be fought only to play into the hands of 9.0's villains.