Poll: PlayStation, Sega Saturn, or Nintendo 64? Which One was Superior?

Page 15 of 15 FirstFirst ...
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Mukind View Post
    Yea for 2d gaming on a separate accessory, missing the point.

Thanks bois for letting us know you played mortal combat with a joystick lol

A) most american boys much less children did not play any arcade games

B) 2d fighting game no one cares

- - - Updated - - -

Yea sure it wasn't a nerd thing

Uh huh

lol

I'm talking glasses and books kinda nerd. Not hipster star wars podcast nerd

You said about Joystick didn't exist up until Mario 64 and I countered your argument with that don't try to twist your own words really.

2D fighting games people don't care about? HAHAHAHA you do know that the best of the best fighting games of history of video games most of them are 2D games eh? I guess you are too young to remember or you didn't even exist back then these two are the only explanation really.

I guess back then people didn't care about Street fighters and Mortal Kombat and Guilty Gears eh? Again have some knowledge because speaking nonsense really.

10+ Year Old Account
    yea buddy cuz everyone went to arcades? lol

Nerds paying quarters was never a main stream way to spend your time.
    Found the guy who didn't have an arcade in his city.

But honestly, you know whats sad (well, if youre not trolling), is that you missed out on the SF2/MK/KI arcade days when hundreds of people would spend hours upon hours in the arcade playing these games against each other. It was an amazing unforgettable experience to live through that every weekend.

I also think its awesome that barcades are starting to pop up everywhere now a days. We have a popular chain the Dallas - Ft.Worth metroplex called FreePLay. They have like 5 barcades around various cities and swap out games between each one. Its pretty awesome and its always packed. I go there a lot to play old and new games with randos and have a few cheap beers.

You're missing out man if you're skipping the arcade scene. Just sayin`.

- - - Updated - - -

I'm talking glasses and books kinda nerd. Not hipster star wars podcast nerd
    Then you'd still be wrong. Sad you missed NBA jam and the massive tournaments we had at the old Reunion Arena where the Mavs used to play.

Quote Originally Posted by Beazy View Post
    Found the guy who didn't have an arcade in his city.

But honestly, you know whats sad (well, if youre not trolling), is that you missed out on the SF2/MK/KI arcade days when hundreds of people would spend hours upon hours in the arcade playing these games against each other. It was an amazing unforgettable experience to live through that every weekend.

I also think its awesome that barcades are starting to pop up everywhere now a days. We have a popular chain the Dallas - Ft.Worth metroplex called FreePLay. They have like 5 barcades around various cities and swap out games between each one. Its pretty awesome and its always packed. I go there a lot to play old and new games with randos and have a few cheap beers.

You're missing out man if you're skipping the arcade scene. Just sayin`.

- - - Updated - - -

Then you'd still be wrong. Sad you missed NBA jam Arcade and the massive tournaments we had at the old Reunion Arena where the Mavs used to play.
    if u were taking your beer money and spending it on nba jam

you were a nerd

idgaf if u liked sports lol, sports nerds exist. Arcades required you to take money out of your own pocket and put it in a slot...That's a high bar relative to getting nba jam for xmas

I'm talking glasses and books kinda nerd.
    And yes, I'm saying you're full of shit and didn't live through the time. The type of nerd you talk about was more likely to be at home playing a PC game or organizing a DnD meetup with his club.

Arcades where a mostly inner city thing, gangs where a common presence at some. Some of them where flat out too dangerous to go to unless you where part of that neighborhood and knew the people there. There was nothing "nerd" about the 90s arcade culture in the US.

- - - Updated - - -

Arcades required you to take money out of your own pocket and put it in a slot...
    Spotted the dude who wasted $5 and got bodied. I would often go to the arcade with $1 and make it last for hours. What arcades actually required where for you to get good.

10+ Year Old Account
    if u were taking your beer money and spending it on nba jam

you were a nerd

idgaf if u liked sports lol, sports nerds exist. Arcades required you to take money out of your own pocket and put it in a slot...That's a high bar relative to getting nba jam for xmas
    Um, I didn't have beer money at that age. . . . lol wtf?
    Are you from one of those countries where kids can drink n smoke?

And JBA Jam was in the arcade for a couple of years before it was ported to SNES. Im starting to think you might be like 17 years old.

Quote Originally Posted by Beazy View Post
    Um, I didn't have beer money at that age. . . . lol wtf?
    Are you from one of those countries where kids can drink n smoke?

And JBA Jam was in the arcade for a couple of years before it was ported to SNES. Im starting to think you might be like 17 years old.
    He definitely didn't live through the gen this thread is about at any rate. He pretty move proves that with every reply that doesn't match reality.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Tech614 View Post
    He definitely didn't live through the gen this thread is about at any rate. He pretty move proves that with every reply that doesn't match reality.
    Yup he is very young to have existed back then and he kept saying bs stuff like 2D fighting games were unpopular back then and no one cared about HAHAHA.

Quote Originally Posted by SkagenRora View Post
    You guys are crazy picking Playstation over N64.. Nintendo had all the good and classic games.
    Innovative gameplay mechanics for sure, but not games I'd walk away remembering, constantly thinking about like the stories of the JRPG classics.

By today's standards, the mechanics of N64 games which were innovative back then are archaic, but a good story like Xenogears lasts forever.

10+ Year Old Account
    playstation using cd made it superior, ironic that nintendo which was the behemoth of gaming industry (until that point) did the biggest f8ck up ever of insist on use cartridge which not only costed more than cd, but could hold far less data, making a game like RE2 far worse in nintendo as one of many examples, not to mention how 3rd party software developers started to distant themselves from nintendo complex hardware to the easier better playstation
    as for game 'quality' nintendo holds the best game of all time Ocarina of time (yes it officially holds that title), the problem was everything else, including quantity of game, yes that is something in many games, i doubt u could release a game like FF8 on nintendo without use of a comical number of cartridges like 8 or something (or massive drop in graphics, sound etc like RE2, RE2 nintendo version was released later, yet appears far worse)

- - - Updated - - -

You guys are crazy picking Playstation over N64.. Nintendo had all the good and classic games.
    we are talking about console, and while nintendo does hold best game of all time among many top other games, there is zero comparison which hardware was better, for a cheat check the very rare games that was released on both, check RE2 for example
    the nintendo hardware was worse in every aspect than playstation, and that can be blamed purely on the cartridge

- - - Updated - - -

again bro no1 played arcade games but nerds
    where i live ppl who dominated arcade (specially fighting games) were the bullies and some even had criminal records, the exact opposite of nerds, nerds were the occasional players and rarely stayed there because they get bullied and lose their pocket money
    heck one time my friend lost to a guy in arcade, insulted him, the guy run after us with a sword and we literally run for our lives (while i was nerd, my friend was very muscles for his age)
    The beginning of wisdom is the statement 'I do not know.' The person who cannot make that statement is one who will never learn anything. And I have prided myself on my ability to learn
    Thrall
    http://youtu.be/x3ejO7Nssj8 7:20+ "Alliance remaining super power", clearly blizz favor horde too much, that they made alliance the super power

The N64 was brilliant in its day. Fantastic catalog with some timeless classics.

after googling this nights into dreams i'm gonna have to say i'm EXTREMELY skeptical it has either the polish or revolutionary game play that mario 64 had. Looks like a terrible faux 3d platformer to me. With a lotta swimming? IDK brah. Seems like there is a reason Sonic is their mascot

Mario 64 is IMO up and away the greatest of the mario series if you include it's place in gaming.

It makes super mario and mario look like quaint little refinements while mario 64 perfect just about everything about 3d platforming but camera in one go.

And you want to compare Nights into Dreams to that? Have you forgotten already what gaming was like pre mario 64 (which also was the reason dualshock exists)
    For your own sake, hold off on the Straw Men, will ya? I never suggested it had either the polish, or revolutionary game play Mario 64 had. It didn't, but then again, I can't think of any other game that did; Mario 64 is a thing of beauty that set the standard.

Nights can't be appreciated from a video. You have to feel it so if you can get your hands on a cheap PC version, do so. Again, it's no Mario 64, but it is a work of art, made for a console that crashed and burned.
    Last edited by nocturnus; 2019-10-05 at 11:25 AM.
    success comes in the form of technical solutions to problems, not appeals to our emotional side

Quote Originally Posted by Tech614 View Post
    And yes, I'm saying you're full of shit and didn't live through the time. The type of nerd you talk about was more likely to be at home playing a PC game or organizing a DnD meetup with his club.

Arcades where a mostly inner city thing, gangs where a common presence at some. Some of them where flat out too dangerous to go to unless you where part of that neighborhood and knew the people there. There was nothing "nerd" about the 90s arcade culture in the US.

- - - Updated - - -

Spotted the dude who wasted $5 and got bodied. I would often go to the arcade with $1 and make it last for hours. What arcades actually required where for you to get good.
    Yea you did, you imagined you were cooler htan you were. lol

If it wasn't your old man handing you money at the bar to play it right there. You were a nerd

Period

Arcades were NEVER main stream in the west. Ever lol

Urban nerds pretending they were a lot cooler than they are. Hahahah.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by sam86 View Post
    playstation using cd made it superior, ironic that nintendo which was the behemoth of gaming industry (until that point) did the biggest f8ck up ever of insist on use cartridge which not only costed more than cd, but could hold far less data, making a game like RE2 far worse in nintendo as one of many examples, not to mention how 3rd party software developers started to distant themselves from nintendo complex hardware to the easier better playstation
    as for game 'quality' nintendo holds the best game of all time Ocarina of time (yes it officially holds that title), the problem was everything else, including quantity of game, yes that is something in many games, i doubt u could release a game like FF8 on nintendo without use of a comical number of cartridges like 8 or something (or massive drop in graphics, sound etc like RE2, RE2 nintendo version was released later, yet appears far worse)

- - - Updated - - -

we are talking about console, and while nintendo does hold best game of all time among many top other games, there is zero comparison which hardware was better, for a cheat check the very rare games that was released on both, check RE2 for example
    the nintendo hardware was worse in every aspect than playstation, and that can be blamed purely on the cartridge

- - - Updated - - -

where i live ppl who dominated arcade (specially fighting games) were the bullies and some even had criminal records, the exact opposite of nerds, nerds were the occasional players and rarely stayed there because they get bullied and lose their pocket money
    heck one time my friend lost to a guy in arcade, insulted him, the guy run after us with a sword and we literally run for our lives (while i was nerd, my friend was very muscles for his age)
    bullies and criminal records/

Those don't sound like the popular kids at school. lol

So the social outcasts played arcade games and hung in the one place they were teh alpha/ Proving my point brah.

Pandaren Monk
    5+ Year Old Account
    Well, in my case, RPG's were my favorite type of video game when I was growing up in the 90's (ie, when the N64/Playstation and their games were still actively being sold), and the N64 had dick squat for an RPG selection. I think Quest 64 was about it if you lived in the US (and even in Japan, the N64 didn't have that big a list of RPG's available). And while I sort of enjoyed Quest and didn't think it deserved the hate, it also wasn't _that_ great. Meanwhile, the PlayStation had Final Fantasy games, Lunar games, Star Ocean 2, Legend of Dragoon, Chrono Cross, Xenogears, Breath of Fire 3, SaGa Frontier...etc.

I loved the N64 and still count some of its titles as all-time favorite games, but the Playstation edged it out for me because of the RPG selection.
    Last edited by avitush; 2019-10-10 at 10:44 PM.