Page 1 of 5
... LastLast

Toughest (Single Player) Game You've Played

Tough/Hard/Challenging Games have been around since the beginning of video games. Some times intentionally tough (Dark Souls), sometimes unintentionally due to controls, etc.

The masochist in most of us endure these games for a sense of accomplishment. Kind of like climbing Everest. Yes it's challenging. But, if you can conquer it, you can point to that achievement and say that you were good enough to do something you probably didn't think you could.

A few of the games I have personally played (and some I've even beaten) include

7th Saga (SNES RPG) - Known for its unforgiving encounters, both normal overworld and bosses. You have a good chance of dying on your first encounter outside of town. And some of the bosses level at the same rate as your main character, making their fights frustrating and sometimes luck based. Did eventually beat the game though.

Ghosts 'n Goblins (and it related sequels) - You will die... A LOT. Don't think I ever finished this.

So what are some of the toughest games you have played

To completion? probably one of the Etrian Odysseys on the heroic settings are the most challenging rpgs you will ever play.

One of the games I remember being hard from my childhood, was the Captain Planet game on NES. Really hard, really unforgiving. Could also just be the fact that I was a kid and a n00b :P.

Altered Beast

DMC3 on highest difficulty. I actually consider souls games to be about the same difficulty here as well, but DMC predates them and was a more interesting game.

These are games I consider hard, but not cheap, too many games that are considered "hard" are just cheap with mechanical issues that make them harder than they need to be. Like Ninja Gaiden and its fucking awful camera.

Sekiro. There is no rpg to hide behind, and memorization doesn't really work due to the nature of how the mechanics are implemented. You either have the quick time event/human reaction time level or you don't.

Shinobi for the PS2 is also very difficult.

For cheap difficulty, Super Ghouls and Ghosts or the later levels of the original Ninja Gaiden come to mind.

If you are talking about non-default difficulty games, there are a number of games that have modes which delete your character when you die, so probably one of them.

Also landing the plane on Top Gun(NES) or beating Contra 1p without cheat codes is difficult.

My favorite difficulty mode is DMD mode in DMC1 as I feel it was difficult enough to require you to explore all your tools, which eventually made you realize how well balanced and intricate the fighting system was in the game.
    Last edited by Zenfoldor; 2019-10-10 at 01:51 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by dope_danny View Post
    To completion? probably one of the Etrian Odysseys on the heroic settings are the most challenging rpgs you will ever play.
    That reminds me of one game I forgot to mention. Dragon Quest VII. The first one to be made for the PlayStation. GOD, I can never finish this game. And I've tried several times. If you aren't following a step-by-step walkthrough you will not know what to do. The game is vague and loooooooong. I haven't played the ports which seem to have alleviated some of the frustrating parts.

Part of me wants to play it again, because now it's just taunting me.

tempest. i found it very very hard to control the radial dial to zap the incoming rush of enemies. extremely cool sounds tho and i loved the 3d wireframe graphics.

TO FIX WOW:1. smaller server sizes & server-only LFG awarding satchels, so elite players help others. 2. "helper builds" with loom powers - talent trees so elite players cast buffs on low level players XP gain, HP/mana, regen, damage, etc. 3. "helper ilvl" scoring how much you help others. 4. observer games like in SC to watch/chat (like twitch but with MORE DETAILS & inside the wow UI) 5. guild leagues to compete with rival guilds for progression (with observer mode).6. jackpot world mobs.

Pandaren Monk
    5+ Year Old Account
    Hm. Hard to say.

In recent memory, I guess Frostpunk on Extreme difficulty. The lower difficulties are more manageable, but Extreme has zero room for error and is about as unforgiving as it gets. All I've been able to figure on pretty much any scenario for Extreme is to perfectly follow a video step by step and pause/save frequently.

Overall...I dunno. I'll have to think about that and come back and edit later.

Shadow of the beast, ridiculously hard and unforgiving game. (not to mention confusing, and weird)
    Below video finishes the game with 1 hit point,. and the ending is seriously anticlimatic.

Last edited by bbr; 2019-10-10 at 04:41 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Land of human potential (and non-toxic masculinity)
    Probably TH11 Subterran Animism. That or TH15.

Quote Originally Posted by bbr View Post
    Shadow of the beast, ridiculously hard and unforgiving game. (not to mention confusing, and weird)
    Below video finishes the game with 1 hit point,. and the ending is seriously anticlimatic.
    F**K I remember playing this game. Or at least trying to play it. From what I remember there is basically no story or direction as to what you are supposed to do. Think a Metroid/Dark Souls mutated baby and then through in one-hit mechanics with terrible character controls and platforming. And environmental puzzles with no explanation or logic.

The Patient
    5+ Year Old Account
    Super Meat Boy. Only game so far that I've played and haven't gotten 100% after trying.

15+ Year Old Account

The game also has the best game soundtrack ever composed.
    Quote Originally Posted by derpkitteh View Post
    i've said i'd like to have one of those bad dragon dildos shaped like a horse, because the shape is nicer than human.
    Quote Originally Posted by derpkitteh View Post
    i was talking about horse cock again, told him to look at your sig.

Sekiro would be my choice for current/recent games. The Xbox era Ninja Gaiden games and the original Battletoads also come to mind. A lot of the old NES games ended up being this way once rentals became a thing

Sekiro hands down.

Quote Originally Posted by Redwyrm View Post
    F**K I remember playing this game. Or at least trying to play it. From what I remember there is basically no story or direction as to what you are supposed to do. Think a Metroid/Dark Souls mutated baby and then through in one-hit mechanics with terrible character controls and platforming. And environmental puzzles with no explanation or logic.
    and somehow they made not 1, not 2,. but 3 sequels as well.

Super Ghouls n' Ghosts (beat it)
    Castlevania: Rondo of Blood (will beat it, almost finished)
    Contra Hard Corps 'USA' (came close but it is hard)
    R-Type 3 (It is brutal towards the end, didn't beat it yet)

There are more but those come to mind.

Pandaren Monk
    5+ Year Old Account
    Yeah....kind of a shitty ending. The game itself looks really cool though. Also has a great soundtrack.

10+ Year Old Account
    Battletoads back in the day
    Sekiro today you just can't beat this game if you're bad plain and simple

10+ Year Old Account
    It may be nostalgia speaking but it took me 3 years to complete Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles on the NES

I love Warcraft, I dislike WoW

Unsubbed since January 2021, now a Warcraft fan from a distance