Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ...
LastLast
    15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by retrogame View Post
    You purchase a physical product, its yours. You are the owner of this product and no one has the right to take it from you. Same this with virtual goods. You pay, its yours.

If you purchase WoW with all of the expansions, then the characters you create and the account is your ownership. Blizzard has no right to take them from you with bans or any other means that would result you not having access to the account.

I can’t believe people defend this. This won’t affect you now, but it might in the future. You invest your money and time towards something you own, as you paid, and then some dumbass gm with a bad day just will take your ownership of the account, without any consequences.

Blizzard Terms of service are not above the law, when you accept those terms, you are being forced to, because if you decline you wont be able to play.

Ye ye many companies do same strategies, but perhaps change?
    It's the exact definition of a "service". If I apply for a gym membership and suddenly cause disturbances hen they have the right to cancel my membership without refund. Same thing goes for Blizzard.

If you don't want to abide by the terms you don't get to play. It's pretty black and white. Maybe people are happy to play in a somewhat non volatile environment and even willingly pay $15 a month for it.
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Essentia@Cho'gall of Inebriated Raiding.
    http://us.battle.net/wow/en/characte...ssentia/simple
    http://masteroverwatch.com/profile/pc/us/Tharkkun-1222

You purchase a physical product, its yours. You are the owner of this product and no one has the right to take it from you. Same this with virtual goods. You pay, its yours.

If you purchase WoW with all of the expansions, then the characters you create and the account is your ownership. Blizzard has no right to take them from you with bans or any other means that would result you not having access to the account.

I can’t believe people defend this. This won’t affect you now, but it might in the future. You invest your money and time towards something you own, as you paid, and then some dumbass gm with a bad day just will take your ownership of the account, without any consequences.

Blizzard Terms of service are not above the law, when you accept those terms, you are being forced to, because if you decline you wont be able to play.

While I share your opinion about digital goods in general, I do not share them for digital goods that are multiplayer games in which you actively cheated or harassed other players. Thats just on you.

Quote Originally Posted by PelinalWhitestrake View Post
    The corporate dicksucking in this thread is hilarious.

It feels like im watching a gameplay of Syndicate
    Having a really basic understanding of how a software license works as well as what you are agreeing to when you agree to terms and conditions is not "corporate dicksucking".

If you want to effect change, that's great. I'm all for it. But bitching that you don't like something and it therefore somehow magically doesn't apply to you is childish and naive.

15+ Year Old Account
    You own that physical product; DVD/CD it’s yours. No one is going to take it from you without it being theft.

You are playing on their servers, their bandwidth, their storage solutions. They state time and time again in EULA’s and printed materials you do not own your characters, it’s a license. They will protect your licensed characters from being stolen, your account compromised to the letter. I have had an account stolen and restored, it’s freaking amazing to see how much detail they will restore right down the a single linen cloth or herb. I’ve had long absences where items were corrupted (BOE items listed as soul bound on a character that could not yet equip them.) and had that fixed.

I have done a lot of questionable stuff in my 420+ days played but never once did I get banned for a minute. The worst thing that ever happened to me was a GM hearthing me out of an area where I was banishing elementals so players would leave me alone to farm on my own.

I guarantee you the OP did far worse than that.

I will say a lot of bad things about Blizzard but one thing I will never badmouth is how they protected me personally as a player, my account and my items/inventory.
    The most persecuted minority is the individual.

Quote Originally Posted by Misuteri View Post
    You own that physical product; DVD/CD it’s yours. No one is going to take it from you without it being theft.

You are playing on their servers, their bandwidth, their storage solutions. They state time and time again in EULA’s and printed materials you do not own your characters, it’s a license. They will protect your licensed characters from being stolen, your account compromised to the letter. I have had an account stolen and restored, it’s freaking amazing to see how much detail they will restore right down the a single linen cloth or herb. I’ve had long absences where items were corrupted (BOE items listed as soul bound on a character that could not yet equip them.) and had that fixed.

I have done a lot of questionable stuff in my 420+ days played but never once did I get banned for a minute. The worst thing that ever happened to me was a GM hearthing me out of an area where I was banishing elementals so players would leave me alone to farm on my own.

I guarantee you the OP did far worse than that.

I will say a lot of bad things about Blizzard but one thing I will never badmouth is how they protected me personally as a player, my account and my items/inventory.
    Ok chang...

Quote Originally Posted by Big Mama View Post
    Well, buying the game and paying for your subscription on top of that feels like buying a house and still having to pay the rent to be allowed to live there.

I am charged monthly so I can use photoshop but I didn't have to buy it. I agree WoW's business model is quite greedy.
    I mean, you still have to pay property taxes even after you buy a house (at least in the US; don't know how that works in other countries). Buying WoW's box is like buying the house, while paying a subscription is paying for the property tax. Buying paid character services, such as name and race change, is like hiring people to install new or changed facilities in your house.

PSA for all the corporate dicksuckers in this thread who probably suffers from buyer's remorse

What blizzard did over the last 2 days is against the US law, also this said week was DISCOVERED that Kotick was a BFF and traveled to Epstein's pedo cultist island lots of times.
    and Yes, things are going to get more fubar to blizzard until blizzcon.
    Last edited by PelinalWhitestrake; 2019-10-12 at 12:02 AM.

Best form of owning your character is to get it 3D printed. :3
    I'm an altoholic since 2005.

Tbh, you need to be stupid to waste your time and money on something that is not yours and could be taken away any second lol
    it's like seeing you go through the 5 stages of grief in real time!

10+ Year Old Account
    I find this whole thing hilarious. The self righteousness as if anyone here would willingly be the guy to lose their company millions by losing one of their biggest markets.
    Putin khuliyo

What blizzard did over the last 2 days is against the US law, also this said week was DISCOVERED that Kotick was a BFF and traveled to Epstein's pedo cultist island lots of times.
    While I hate what happened, it's not against the law of the USA. However it is against the moral code of the USA to bow for a foreign nation, worse if it's not even democratic. As to Kotick, no matter how gladly I'd see that weasel go, it likely will have no effect on Activision Blizzard.
    I'm an altoholic since 2005.

15+ Year Old Account

It is clearly spelled out in the tos that you are being granted a license, not ownership, and that all things inside the game are property of Blizzard. I know you might be thinking “if we all get together and demand...”, but no, it just won’t happen.
    "Can't you see this is the last act of a desperate man?"
    "We don't care if it's the first act of Henry the Fifth, we're leaving!"

Sure, you own the physical game if you buy a physical copy. You could even play offline if you make your own server. Your account, however, is not owned by you. They own it and you essentially rent the server space it uses.

Don't do shit to get banned and quite whining.

I want you to look at your hard drive and look at everything on it your own and delete what you don't. Here I'll help you, press the format button. When it comes to software you don't own anything. You buy the right to run the liscence under agreements. You fail to uphold them you get banned, simple enough.

Herald of the Titans
    10+ Year Old Account
    You invest your money and time towards something you own, as you paid, and then some dumbass gm with a bad day just will take your ownership of the account, without any consequences.
    That rental car isn't yours,
    that apartment/house you rent still belongs to the landlord/owner you pay rent to,
    those items you got from the rental company still belong to the rental company,
    that car you bought can still be repoed if you stop making payments before the loan is payed off.

The Unstoppable Force Lorgar Aurelian's Avatar
    7+ Year Old Account
    so put your money where your mouth is and sue them, let us know how it goes.

Lol yeah they should be able to revoke your original dvd from installation.

Herald of the Titans
    10+ Year Old Account
    PSA for all the corporate dicksuckers in this thread who probably suffers from buyer's remorse

and Yes, things are going to get more fubar to blizzard until blizzcon.
    Name the laws that were broken.

Quote Originally Posted by Eucep View Post
    While I hate what happened, it's not against the law of the USA. However it is against the moral code of the USA to bow for a foreign nation, worse if it's not even democratic. As to Kotick, no matter how gladly I'd see that weasel go, it likely will have no effect on Activision Blizzard.
    I mean, they didn't bow to anyone, they adhered to contract guidelines and banned him over breaking contract. It also wasn't US Blizzard that banned him, but Blizzard Taiwan.

And Netease made a statement apologizing to China, netease is a Chinese company, they kind of HAVE to stay in line.

Nothing based in the US applies to this at all, it wasn't on US soil and it wasn't a US branch that did it.

I believe it's a massive troll, since I can't imagine someone being so stupid to pull that shit out of own butt.

But... on top of what everyone said already, there are at least two points that could be added.

First of all, anything in the world world work this way: if you enter someones property, you automatically accept the rules the owner set. If you enter, cinema let's say, security have a right to kick you out for breaking the existing rules.

Secondly: it's simply pragmatic. I can't imagine a multiplayer game in which a players is outside of limitations. Just think of the trolls that with impunity would ruin your fun. You wouldn't like to play such game. The rules are there not to trick you from your money - it's there to maximize your safety and actually secure your money from being put into the game that is filled with trolls.

Yet, I still have a good feeling this thread is a joke.