Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst
LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    Do you still have to pay 2000 $ on expansions to get all content ?
    Every once in a while I check it and want to get back to it but the absurd expansion costs keep me away.

Checked their shop again. 170 $ to get all exp with Minas Morgul included. What the FFFFF
    20$ for Moria. An expansion released in 2008.
    130$ "collector" editions that only give you two mounts, some stupid titles and p2w boosts.
    These dirtbags can put Bobby Kotick to shame with their greed.
    Last edited by Vorkreist; 2019-10-01 at 10:58 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Vorkreist View Post
    Do you still have to pay 2000 $ on expansions to get all content ?
    Every once in a while I check it and want to get back to it but the absurd expansion costs keep me away.

Checked their shop again. 170 $ to get all exp with Minas Morgul included. What the FFFFF
    20$ for Moria. An expansion released in 2008.
    130$ "collector" editions that only give you two mounts, some stupid titles and p2w boosts.
    These dirtbags can put Bobby Kotick to shame with their greed.
    I agree that the expansion packs are overpriced but the price is not 170$ but 140$. First 4 expansion packs are in a discount quad pack that costs 40$ so that is where the difference comes from. To be fair you dont even need all of them but yeah the price is too much - i have bought most of these through in game currency as they are at a fairly reasonable price. The major problem is helms deep pricing which is absurd for the lackluster content it has but they just refuse to make the quad pack into a 5-6 expansion pack and it stays at high price for no reason.

Being able to just buy it for points makes it far easier to deal it though it is very new user unfirendly, i think they are just afraid to give moria for free because ti is filled with in game premium currency - Moria currently costs 2495 and has about 1500 points if you do everything, this causes poeple to just go for moria instance deeds on alts to get more and more currency so yeah it is bad...

Imo they should just give the old expansion packs to the subscribers and it would be fine...

Edit: oh and just to note the new expansion does contain 120 level boost so you can just buy it and jump straight into it but it is only in the 80$ which sucks so... yeah their pricing policy sucks guess they need that to keep themselves afloat with f2p model.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Alteiry View Post
    LOTRO still exists?
    yep it does although not as big as it used to be.

wait there is a lotr mmo? is it pay to win

Quote Originally Posted by arandomuser View Post
    wait there is a lotr mmo? is it pay to win
    Lotro came out in 2007 so yeah there is but it is old. The game is a bit p2w sadly because you can get currency for instance gear in lockboxes..... fortunately the raid gear is raid exclusive but it still sucks.

Quote Originally Posted by Slau View Post
    sort of - they told us they were working on it in January but no details.
    Ah ok.

I used to have a LOTRO account, and I played ever since around 2009, and I had a lot of fun, but took my time to make progress on my character and only ever got to 51.

Then they made so many changes, even WoW Classic-style talent trees, that I felt alienated from the game more and more. I didn't like it that all of a sudden abilities that I used to have were spread out across different specs in the talent tree and I could only get some of them.

If they ever do a Classic server, or a Moria server, I'd play that. I think they did something like that recently, but I remember it being somewhat weird so I immediately left again. Can't quite remember what it was.

Legendary!
    15+ Year Old Account
    Man I wish they would let this thing die, get a license to use the movie assets and re-build it in a modern day engine. That would be sick.

Lotro is still the only mmorpg i go back to see how it's going. This game has some magic in it.

So the next lotro expansion has been announced and it seems it will be set partially in the 2nd age of middle earth during the war of the last alliance and partially in Minas Morgul. Storywise it seems to be interesting.

thoughts?
    Is LOTRO an MMO I should get into? Does it fall on the grindy side at all?

Quote Originally Posted by Duke of Earl View Post
    Ah ok.

I used to have a LOTRO account, and I played ever since around 2009, and I had a lot of fun, but took my time to make progress on my character and only ever got to 51.

Then they made so many changes, even WoW Classic-style talent trees, that I felt alienated from the game more and more. I didn't like it that all of a sudden abilities that I used to have were spread out across different specs in the talent tree and I could only get some of them.

If they ever do a Classic server, or a Moria server, I'd play that. I think they did something like that recently, but I remember it being somewhat weird so I immediately left again. Can't quite remember what it was.
    They actually did something called legendary servers, basicly it started out with only being Shadow of Angmar, then after some time it rolled over into Mines of Moria, I think it is at either Siege of Mirkwood or Rise of Isengard at the moment. But it isn't exactly the "vanilla" experience as they kept the updated way of speccing your character, I believe because the current developers don't have the data from back before it got streamlined.

Quote Originally Posted by Caperfin View Post
    it definitely is grindy, especially for a new player it is going to take a while to catch up - that is why they offer a level 120 boost in the expansion but it is only in the collectors eidtion so yeah... not a cheap way to check out the game. It is not a korean level grind or island expedition mount farm grind level though, just note that there is a loooot to do before you catch up with the level cap players. There really is no way to check it other than downloading it yourself and seeinf if it is your cap of tea or not. But one thing that Lotro does well is storytelling - it is probably the best lotr game story so far and it definitely blows wows story out of the water (well it is not that hard to do that...). It is not based on the movies but entirely on the books (although to be honest a bit of inspiration with movies is definitely there) so you will see a lot of places that are not in the movies. The game has a main storyline called the epic story which is really really huge (and far better than war campaign in bfa lol).

There are 3 starting regions for the game Ered Luin, Shire and Bree-Land. Each one is very unique and distinct with some great stories there (except the shire because hobbits are hobbits). They are all free so you can check out if you like it or not. I definitely love the attention to detail and how deep their worldbuilding is because they remember about tiny details from lotr books.

It does fall abit on the grindy side, especially for free to play as you need to buy quest packs which contains all the quests for some of the later zones, which you can buy with the store currency, which can also be gained through doing deeds ( the lotro equivalent to achievements ) ingame, but that part is quite time consuming though I suppose not as grindy as many korean mmos.

Quote Originally Posted by Donald Hellscream View Post
    They actually did something called legendary servers, basicly it started out with only being Shadow of Angmar, then after some time it rolled over into Mines of Moria, I think it is at either Siege of Mirkwood or Rise of Isengard at the moment. But it isn't exactly the "vanilla" experience as they kept the updated way of speccing your character, I believe because the current developers don't have the data from back before it got streamlined.
    Yeah it is like the the retail servers but with a lower level cap - which in a way is cool - there was always a community on my server using xp blockade to play at lower level content which is something that i have never seen happen in wow. But i do think the main complaint poeple have is that they do progression far too fast so poeple dont have time to enjoy the content as much.

Yeah it is like the the retail servers but with a lower level cap - which in a way is cool - there was always a community on my server using xp blockade to play at lower level content which is something that i have never seen happen in wow. But i do think the main complaint poeple have is that they do progression far too fast so poeple dont have time to enjoy the content as much.
    Yeah, thats the complaint I've been seeing, that the timespan between expansions is way too fast if you are a person who isn't rushing to endgame.

Quote Originally Posted by mike39911 View Post
    Lotro is still the only mmorpg i go back to see how it's going. This game has some magic in it.
    Yeah man i feel you although i am a casual player in lotro now i still have nostalgic memories of going through the game for the first time. I remember starting a dwarf character in Ered Luin and seeing Thorins Hall for the first time was amazing.

- - - Updated - - -

Yeah, thats the complaint I've been seeing, that the timespan between expansions is way too fast if you are a person who isn't rushing to endgame.
    it is weird really - they could easily stretch it out more or just merge the two legendary servers if they are afraid poeple leave.

Yeah man i feel you although i am a casual player in lotro now i still have nostalgic memories of going through the game for the first time. I remember starting a dwarf character in Ered Luin and seeing Thorins Hall for the first time was amazing.

- - - Updated - - -

it is weird really - they could easily stretch it out more or just merge the two legendary servers if they are afraid poeple leave.
    No doubt, I think the timespan between Shadow of Angmar and Mines of Moria was like 3 months, which was way too fast since the leveling process in lotro isn't exactly Retail wow levels of fast.

No doubt, I think the timespan between Shadow of Angmar and Mines of Moria was like 3 months, which was way too fast since the leveling process in lotro isn't exactly Retail wow levels of fast.
    i think the levelling to 50 is about a month of playing (if you play every day for several hours) so yeah i think it is way too fast, although nothing stops poeple from using xp block there but it still is a weird choice.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by thilicen View Post
    Man I wish they would let this thing die, get a license to use the movie assets and re-build it in a modern day engine. That would be sick.
    You are being really harsh on the game - graphics are not everything and i dont think any other lotr game had better worldbuilding than lotro.

Yeah I think that's the thing I tried out. Wasn't really for me.

Quote Originally Posted by Duke of Earl View Post
    Yeah I think that's the thing I tried out. Wasn't really for me.
    I dont really like the new trait lines either but they get better at higher levels when you reach a decent amount of trait points.

- - - Updated - - -

i can post links now - you can check the games wiki for information - it is really really huge - so you can probably find most of the game there.

https://lotro-wiki.com/index.php/Main_Page.

My favorite is always showing the attention to detail in Minas Tirith - it is really huge location with hundreds of npcs - which sadly causes lag sometimes.

https://lotro-wiki.com/index.php/Minas_Tirith

some new information have been revealed about the expansion and open beta is up on Bulrroarer server if anyone is interested to check it out its free.

Crafting Carry-Alls - When Minas Morgul launches, all players who purchase the Ultimate Fan and Collector's Edition will have Carry-alls delivered to them. A Carry-all helps you consolidate and organize your inventory by storing your various crafting materials inside it using only one slot of space. Because these Carry-alls are Bound to Account, sharing crafting materials amongst your characters becomes easier.
    - The Collector's and Ultimate editions will grant a Small Crafting Carry-all that will hold 10 different types of unique crafting items that will allow each stack to go up to 2000.
    - The Ultimate Fan edition will grant an additional Large Crafting Carry-all that will hold up to 50 types of unique crafting items that will allow each stack to go up to 5000!
    - These items will be delivered once per account, and will be delivered to the first character you log in to after Minas Morgul launches. If you play on multiple servers, please make sure to first log into the server where you want these Carry-alls delivered.

New region maps: - the first map region is set during the war of the last alliance against sauron

and the patch notes:

Minas Morgul has almost arrived!

Minas Morgul takes you on an expedition deep into the Morgul Vale in search of answers to a mystery that spans three thousand years. The words of the shade of Isildur will unearth secrets and visions of the Second Age that have remained untold until now, revealing playable landscape and new adventures from a crucial time in Middle-earth’s history.

Two New Regions: The Morgul Vale as well as Mordor Beseiged!
    Level Cap Increase to 130
    New Crafting Guild benefits
    New Black Book of Mordor Quests
    and more!

Visit LOTRO.com/MinasMorgul to read more. Some elements of the expansion, including the Shelob raid and new Instances, will be released in the near future. Players logging in once the Minas Morgul expansion has been released will get their Valar items, Expedition Supplies, Crafting Carry-alls and more. Visit LOTRO.com/MinasMorgul for details.

News and Notes
    Bullroarer will remain open until Friday (10/18). Time subject to change!
    The expansion is still a work in progress, there will be bugs and unfinished content. If you see something that doesn't work or you think is wrong, please tell us about it!
    The player database was wiped last week, characters copied characters will be available.
    Character Copy to Bullroarer is available. Shared Item transfer is currently disabled.
    Hobbit Presents are currently being reworked and are disabled.

Discussion Threads
    Rune-keeper Udate - https://www.lotro.com/forums/showthr...te-Rune-keeper
    Premade Imbued Legendary Items - https://www.lotro.com/forums/showthr...egendary-Items
    Crafting Carry-all Bags - https://www.lotro.com/forums/showthr...Carry-all-Bags
    Instance Feedback - https://www.lotro.com/forums/showthr...tance-Feedback

Classes
    Rune-keeper has received a balance pass.

Crafting
    Crafting is not fully functional yet and is quite rough around the edges, so please be patient. It will be in a more complete state during the next round of Beta.
    Farmer - The time required to execute planting recipes has been reduced from 10 seconds to 3 seconds for most farmer field recipes.
    Crafting Carry-Alls - When Minas Morgul launches, all players who purchase the Ultimate Fan and Collector's Edition will have Carry-alls delivered to them. A Carry-all helps you consolidate and organize your inventory by storing your various crafting materials inside it using only one slot of space. Because these Carry-alls are Bound to Account, sharing crafting materials amongst your characters becomes easier.
    - The Collector's and Ultimate editions will grant a Small Crafting Carry-all that will hold 10 different types of unique crafting items that will allow each stack to go up to 2000.
    - The Ultimate Fan edition will grant an additional Large Crafting Carry-all that will hold up to 50 types of unique crafting items that will allow each stack to go up to 5000!
    - These items will be delivered once per account, and will be delivered to the first character you log in to after Minas Morgul launches. If you play on multiple servers, please make sure to first log into the server where you want these Carry-alls delivered.

Emotes
    The Elevenses Emote has been scripted to work more consistently; the food items will disappear if the emote is interrupted.

Items
    Imbued legendary items: When replacing an imbued legacy with another legacy, you now carry over a much greater percentage of the earned item advancement experience.
    Updates to the Legendary weapon and Relic damage progressions. This should generally see DPS numbers on these weapons that better compare and track with their offhand versions.
    Items that grant War-steed appearances can now be consumed while mounted.
    The Flame of Ancalamír can now be used while mounted.
    The War-steed Appearance: Grand Accessory once again has its proper appearance on a War-steed Pony instead of looking like a basket of sunflowers.

Pets
    Critters summoned from the following housing decorations will now perform their correct emotes when not moving: Nanu's Hiding Place, Hedgehog Burrow, and Badger House. Nanu's movement has also been slowed down slightly.

PvMP
    Player characters in the Ettenmoors and PvMP Osgiliath can now use cosmetic outfits.

Quests and Adventure Areas
    Scion Difficulty Tiers 4 and 5 of the Dwarfholds instances and Kidzul-kâlah are unavailable while the new instance cluster is being introduced. Scion difficulty tiers will be available again on selected instances in the future.
    Fixed a door in the Loremaster-specific chamber of "In The Presence of Saruman".
    The boss in Instance: A venomous Strike will now summon at the correct time.
    Adjusted the requirements to unlock the Volume II Book 3 and Volume II Book 8 movies in the Movie Library.
    Various areas have had minor stuck spots, death spots, and physics issues fixed.
    Erebor - Forging Trust - Mistrustful Dwarves are now denoted by a blue quest ring to improve their visibility.
    Monster HP in the 116-120 range has been increased modestly to compensate for increased LI DPS (overall pacing should be similar).

UI
    Fixed an issue where Disenchantment examination tooltips would sometimes be clipped along the right edge.

Miscellaneous
    All Embers and Motes of Enchantment, along with all Figments of Splendour, will have their total set to the cap of 10,000 if their total exceeds 10,000.
    Fixed an issue that could cause a crash on startup on machines with more than 32 logical processors, such as AMD Threadripper 2970WX and 2990WX.

BULLROARER ONLY:
    Eyes & Guard Tavern
    Players can now barter for selection packages of Imbued Legendary Items from Tybur in the basement of the Eyes & Guard Tavern. Use the package to select the Legendary Item you would like, then use the item in your inventory to add an already Imbued Legendary Item with Relics, Title, Unlocked Tiers, and Earned Levels to your Legendary Items. NOTE: You must have a free Legendary Items slot, and this process does take a bit of time.
    Trotter now sells some Housing Decoration items, including training dummies that can be placed in your house.
    Sarumango now advances characters to level 130.
    DocOctoport will now take players to the Beorninghus interior to speak to Gandalf to begin Chapter 11.1: A Window On the Past.
    Ransroth now offers all his reputation quests to all characters, and now grants Wilderfolk reputation.
    Ayvan now had quests to reward Rimes of the Anvil and Artifacts of the Vale.
    Speak to Ayvan in the Eyes & Guard Crafting Hall to receive the Large and Small Crafting Carry-alls.
    Epic Book bestowers no longer require players to have completed the skip quests.
    Javatar now completes instance discovery deeds for players.
    Stout-axes may now pick up a Skip Intro quest from Núluzagar. This quest grants access to the Eyes and Guard Tavern and all of its amenities. Please note that Núluzagar's other quest Toil in the Dark Tower will be available but should not be taken by players who wish to skip intro (This quest cannot be cancelled).
    Two new quests have been added to MadeofLions. After completing the quest that grants Black Book of Mordor Chapters 1-4k, players can now complete two other quests. The first grants Black Book of Mordor Chapters 5-8 and the second grants Chapters 9, 10, and Shades in the Swamp.
    Cooldown timers have been removed from Aubergine's Mithril Coin and LOTRO Point granting quests.
    Each of Mister Alexander's Craft Guild quests now have a 30-minute cooldown timer.
    Crafting vendors now have all necessary Minas Ithil ingredients.

10+ Year Old Account
    Have they improved graphics? Because that was one thing that put me off.
    Quote Originally Posted by Venant View Post
    I think many people will agree that genocide can be justified.