Page 1 of 2
LastLast

Horde So, why didn't we get playable Amani instead of Darkspears in Vanilla?

Zul'aman from Burning Crusade is like one of my favorite raids ever in Warcraft. The trailer is the stuff of legend.

So while Zul'jin is regarded as like a legend among trolls of all king from The Second War, wherein The Amani Trolls were in fact part of Blackhand's Horde, when Blizzard was conceptualizing World of Warcraft in the early 2000's, why didn't they decide to go with playable Amani Trolls, and instead went with their lamer cousins, The Darkspears, and their even lamer leader, Vol'jin? Darkspear Trolls are like the losers among trolls, they don't even have their own capital city, they're like bums who have to slum it up in Orgrimmar and most recently "Echo Isles." This whole time, we could be playing these guys, and having Zul'jin rub shoulders with Thrall, Garrosh, and Sylvanas.

And Zul'aman as a capital city, and play these guys. Instead, we got... playable Memeboi.

Sowhat do you think? This isn't just a Vol'jin vs. Zul'jin thread (though it's CRYSTAL clear who the coolest troll there is.) This is an Amani and their forest empire, and the Hore having TWO presences on Eastern Kingdoms versus Vol'jin and his lame hunch bunch.

did you not play WC3?
    Anemo: traveler, Sucrose
    Pyro: Yanfei, Amber, diluc, xiangling, thoma, Xinyan, Bennett
    Geo: Noelle, Ningguang, Yun Jin, Gorou
    Hydro: Barbara, Zingqiu, Ayato
    Cyro: Shenhe, Kaeya, Chongyun, Diona, Ayaka, Rosaria
    Electro: Fischl, Lisa, Miko, Kujou, Raiden, Razor

10+ Year Old Account
    Land of human potential (and non-toxic masculinity)
    Quote Originally Posted by General Zanjin View Post
    did you not play WC3?
    Pretty much this.

Long story short - because forest trolls left the horde and darkspears joined the horde.

Well they hate the horde even through BfA, so that is a pretty big issue.
    "Privilege is invisible to those who have it."

The answer is in your own video. "I spit on the Horde..."

Given how Doomhammer's abandoning the attack on Quel'thalas was what helped lead to Zul'jin's torture, eye injury and arm removal, I can't imagine he'd be all too happy with the Horde in general anyway.

Yeah but by rule of cool, Blizzard would have found a way to retcon that and given us the cooler troll.

Quote Originally Posted by Kyphael View Post
    Yeah but by rule of cool, Blizzard would have found a way to retcon that and given us the cooler troll.
    Yeah we got Zandalari in 8.1

The better question is why did they switched from Forest Trolls in Warcraft 2 to Jungle Trolls in Warcraft 3. Because that's the root of everything.

I believe this was just to make units more distinguishable with a different skin color. But I am not sure.

And Zul'aman as a capital city, and play these guys. Instead, we got... playable Memeboi.
    We got Vol'jin, who was just as cool as Zul'jin and significantly less genocidal.

Easy lore reasons, the Amani trolls left the Horde and the Darkspear joined in WC3. I do believe that forest trolls should be an allied race with the Revantusk tribe.

I guess its exactly due to the fact the Darkspears are weaker really (besides warcraft 3). The Amani trolls seen to be more organized and brutal while the darkspears were pretty much screwed without the Horde. Same with the Tauren and the forsaken, they were all underdogs, weaker factions that banded with the orcs. Makes sense storywise.

I also like the green trolls more, loved them back in warcraft 2 (was really cool how the trolls could regen slowly back then, it was not common in rts to have units to heal themselves without healer units).
    English is not my main language so grammar errors might happen.

Quote Originally Posted by XDurionX View Post
    The answer is in your own video. "I spit on the Horde..."
    To be honest, what spurs him to do that were the Blood Elves joining the Horde, which didn't happen until the Outland invasion. Which means Zul'jin and his Amani were licking their wounds in Zul'aman between The Third War and Vanilla, which means back then, during concepts of WoW, Blizzard could have opted to go with Amani over Darkspears before they even knew what they wanted to do with Blood Elves, which weren't even considered in Vanilla.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Kiivar86 View Post
    Given how Doomhammer's abandoning the attack on Quel'thalas was what helped lead to Zul'jin's torture, eye injury and arm removal, I can't imagine he'd be all too happy with the Horde in general anyway.
    Oooh... ok, that's, a bad one.

Quote Originally Posted by McNeil View Post
    Easy lore reasons, the Amani trolls left the Horde and the Darkspear joined in WC3. I do believe that forest trolls should be an allied race with the Revantusk tribe.
    The Revantusks were actually a faction, though they weren't fleshed out in the slightest (like the centaur tribes in Desolace) at some point in vanilla but were removed.

They only feels cooler becouse we have darkspears for 15y. If we would get amani instead we would have post about why we didnt get darkspear instead. Same for any allied races they seem more cool becouse they are new no becouse they are actualy better looking.

Quote Originally Posted by Nefastus View Post
    I guess its exactly due to the fact the Darkspears are weaker really (besides warcraft 3). The Amani trolls seen to be more organized and brutal while the darkspears were pretty much screwed without the Horde. Same with the Tauren and the forsaken, they were all underdogs, weaker factions that banded with the orcs. Makes sense storywise.

I also like the green trolls more, loved them back in warcraft 2 (was really cool how the trolls could regen slowly back then, it was not common in rts to have units to heal themselves without healer units).
    Thank you! The argument is to have had them playable from a technical point of view, they're much cooler than Darkspears, prior to the blood elves ever joining, Blizzard could have explained Thrall reached out to Zul'jin in Zul'aman about joining his Horde as Doomhammer was long gone. They could have used that extra foothold in EK.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Elias01 View Post
    They only feels cooler becouse we have darkspears for 15y. If we would get amani instead we would have post about why we didnt get darkspear instead. Same for any allied races they seem more cool becouse they are new no becouse they are actualy better looking.
    Fair enough, but Darkspears bring so little to The Horde, whereas Amani felt like a force to be reckoned with that The Horde could have used better.

7+ Year Old Account
    Forest Trolls left the horde before the end of the Second War.
    Zul'jin threw a hissy fit when Doomhammer prefered to attack Lordaeron first and he tried conquering Quel'thalas by himself and failed.

The only Forest Troll tribe remaining allied with the Horde are the Revantusk, which are not nearly as powerful or numerous as the Darkspear right now

The Darkspear helped feed the orcs in Durotar and defend it against enemies. Over the years they grew and were recognized by the loa as true trolls. The Zandalari in Pandaria even offered Vol'jin and his tribe to become the "First tribe" of the troll empire, a position above the remaining Gurubashi and Amani.

The Darkspear thrive while all others fight amongst themselves
    Last edited by Maljinwo; 2019-10-16 at 07:04 PM.
    This world don't give us nothing. It be our lot to suffer... and our duty to fight back.

I think forest trolls could be a great Horde allied race in the future - especially now that there are two major tribes in and Zul’jin is long dead.

But why we didn’t get playable Amani at the beginning of WoW is well documented in lore and the comments above.

Zul'aman from Burning Crusade is like one of my favorite raids ever in Warcraft. The trailer is the stuff of legend.

So while Zul'jin is regarded as like a legend among trolls of all king from The Second War, wherein The Amani Trolls were in fact part of Blackhand's Horde, when Blizzard was conceptualizing World of Warcraft in the early 2000's, why didn't they decide to go with playable Amani Trolls, and instead went with their lamer cousins, The Darkspears, and their even lamer leader, Vol'jin? Darkspear Trolls are like the losers among trolls, they don't even have their own capital city, they're like bums who have to slum it up in Orgrimmar and most recently "Echo Isles." This whole time, we could be playing these guys, and having Zul'jin rub shoulders with Thrall, Garrosh, and Sylvanas.

Sowhat do you think? This isn't just a Vol'jin vs. Zul'jin thread (though it's CRYSTAL clear who the coolest troll there is.) This is an Amani and their forest empire, and the Hore having TWO presences on Eastern Kingdoms versus Vol'jin and his lame hunch bunch.
    go play WC3 you will find out

Thank you! The argument is to have had them playable from a technical point of view, they're much cooler than Darkspears, prior to the blood elves ever joining, Blizzard could have explained Thrall reached out to Zul'jin in Zul'aman about joining his Horde as Doomhammer was long gone. They could have used that extra foothold in EK.
    Yeah, with the absurd ammounts of retcon blizzard does it wouldnt be hard to say they realized that Doomhammer horde isnt the same. Would be amazing to have them.
    English is not my main language so grammar errors might happen.