Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst
    Quote Originally Posted by Naramag View Post
    Well, here you sign the contract, pay the price and get the keys. Of course you can inspect first, which we did. Twice. But the things we later found were things only experts or at least experienced house buyers would have found at first sight. We found some things after a few weeks to a few months. We were young, eager and probably quite dumb or at least naive and didn't think about consulting an expert. The house had the right size, the plot of land wasn't too small, the house wasn't too old and it was in the right neighbourhood.

The housing situation here is: You're lucky if you find a house you can afford and if you found one, you're lucky if your offer is taken. And that was more then ten years ago. The price we paid was absolutely great for us, in a big city nonetheless. Now I can pay more than double for a similar sized house and it would be somewhere in nowhere.
    By inspection I think he means a professional comes and inspects the house. Here everything is handled by the lawyers, real estate agent, and the bank or mortgage broker. I've bought 3 places, sold one, and I never even spoke with the other party. The place I sold I didn't even meet the real estate agent in person.

Quote Originally Posted by Freighter View Post
    Had my sights at an apartment that I was considering to sign contract for. Was really considering it to get some private space instead of living with family. I had until next week to think about it. Then I get a call saying it won't happen. Why? Some retard living in proximity of it flooded his apartment and in the process damaged other apartments, including the one I had been considering.

Have you been screwed over in any way when trying to find a place to live?
    I don't think you understand what "screwed over" means.

Quote Originally Posted by Themius View Post
    Talked on the phone everything was nice but my money wasn’t good enough when my skin wasn’t white enough. This in a town that’s quite known for having very racist areas.

I guess they heard a British accent and assumed I must be white.
    Slightly off topic, but that reminded me of this poem.

https://allpoetry.com/poem/10379451-...y-Wole-Soyinka
    Last edited by Flarelaine; 2019-10-23 at 07:14 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Avskildhet View Post
    When I am told there are no apartments available and then my stepfather calls and asks for his daughter if there are apartments available and is told there is. How this not racism? The only difference is that he's got a swedish name and mine is obviously foreign. If my name had been Elin Svensson instead of like Jintana, they wouldn't have said none are available to me.
    I mean, it could be racism, but it could also be they don't want to rent to a young person or a young person that looks irresponsible or like a party-type. Not saying you are, mind you, but their first impression of you could have put them off.

Quote Originally Posted by Polyxo View Post
    My second year in college, I got fraudulently scammed by some lady living in a dilapidated mansion with a pet wolf (I'm serious). Had these nice pictures of it (that turned out to be HER house, not the unattached garage/apartment/shack that she was renting). So I get there after driving 1500 miles (Western New York to Miami), and the previous tenant is still living there..but they're like "you can share, or sleep on the couch here until he's done leaving." The roof of the thing has a hole patched by cardboard boxes. Also, the free cable advertised is stolen from her neighbors, and broken. I had the check for the deposit cancelled, and spent the next few weeks of the semester living in my car and sometimes crashing in my friends' dorm rooms.
    could have been a wolfdog you know, got one to that people mistake for a wolf but is just a tjechoslovakian

damn btw and to think here in belgium people consider moving 150km as something very far away already

Had my sights at an apartment that I was considering to sign contract for. Was really considering it to get some private space instead of living with family. I had until next week to think about it. Then I get a call saying it won't happen. Why? Some retard living in proximity of it flooded his apartment and in the process damaged other apartments, including the one I had been considering.

Sure, but not for long. 1 or 1000 setbacks aren't enough when my survival's on the line.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Mihalik View Post
    I don't think you understand what "screwed over" means.
    And why wouldn't they? Whichever entity's that's doing the fucking doesn't need to be human. Fate's a pretty good fucker when it wants to.

How much are apartments in Daegu?

My mom got screwed over recently because the landlord is a Trump fan, my mom is pretty much as anti-Trump as you can get.
    She signed the lease, he found out she hated trump and ripped up the lease. Took her awhile to get her money back.
    The hunter hoe with the least beloe.

The Unstoppable Force Ghostpanther's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Muajin76 View Post
    How much are apartments in Daegu?

My mom got screwed over recently because the landlord is a Trump fan, my mom is pretty much as anti-Trump as you can get.
    She signed the lease, he found out she hated trump and ripped up the lease. Took her awhile to get her money back.
    She didn't get a copy of the lease after she signed it? Sounds like she would have a legal case against the landlord. He is certainly a asshole for tearing it up over politics.
    " If destruction be our lot, we must ourselves be its author and finisher.." - Abraham Lincoln
    The Constitution be never construed to authorize Congress to - prevent the people of the United States, who are peaceable citizens, from keeping their own arms..” - Samuel Adams

10+ Year Old Account
    Where ever I want, working remote is awesome.
    I don't even know what a penthouse is.
    pent·house
    /ˈpentˌhous/
    Learn to pronounce
    noun
    an apartment on the top floor of a tall building, typically luxuriously fitted and offering fine views.

My husband and I almost did. We were moving out for the first time together after college, we were not yet married and did not want to live in an apartment because we had pets we wanted to keep. We found a trailer in a trailer park we liked and was working with an agent to buy it. We put a deposit down to buy the trailer but we had to be approved to move in by the park so we submitted our information. The person that we submitted our info to, lived in another trailer park down the street but worked at both parks. After we submitted our info she called us and told us that park was actually being torn down and a Lowe's was being built so all trailers would soon have to be moved or given up. She wasn't suppose to tell us about that but felt bad seeing two young adults just starting get screwed over.

She told us she would not approve us for the park so that we would get all our deposit back and then kept us informed of trailers for sale in her park. We ended up buying one in her park a few months later and she was right, the other park was torn down and a Lowe's was built.

She really saved us a lot of trouble and hassle.

Quote Originally Posted by Seirith View Post
    My husband and I almost did. We were moving out for the first time together after college, we were not yet married and did not want to live in an apartment because we had pets we wanted to keep. We found a trailer in a trailer park we liked and was working with an agent to buy it. We put a deposit down to buy the trailer but we had to be approved to move in by the park so we submitted our information. The person that we submitted our info to, lived in another trailer park down the street but worked at both parks. After we submitted our info she called us and told us that park was actually being torn down and a Lowe's was being built so all trailers would soon have to be moved or given up. She wasn't suppose to tell us about that but felt bad seeing two young adults just starting get screwed over.

She told us she would not approve us for the park so that we would get all our deposit back and then kept us informed of trailers for sale in her park. We ended up buying one in her park a few months later and she was right, the other park was torn down and a Lowe's was built.

She really saved us a lot of trouble and hassle.
    Awesome! Glad you dodged a bullet!

Brewmaster
    10+ Year Old Account
    Never been screwed since I've only live in two places in my life. My parents house and my house.