Page 1 of 2
LastLast

Threat Meter addon

Hi guys,
    I would want an addon for track the Aggro, like the Omen in retail servers. I saw existe ClassicThreatMeter but doesnt work for me. And i Heard that the Details addon has a row for aggro but, even i search it a lot i didnt found it.

So, what addon can i install for track aggro plz ?

Tnx u very much !

5+ Year Old Account
    In my experience so far, most people seem to be using details with its threat plugin.
    “Listen... Strange women lying in ponds distributing swords is no basis for a system of government. Supreme executive power derives from a mandate from the masses, not from some farcical aquatic ceremony.” – Dennis

None work fine afaik. All the addons only work if everybody uses it in your group.
    However, the amount is only guessed and not calculated. So therefore these addons are pretty useless.

10+ Year Old Account
    ClassicThreatMeter should work. But other people in your group must have some kind of threat addon for it to work (Details or ClassicThreatMeter or any other similar addon).

5+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Wild View Post
    None work fine afaik. All the addons only work if everybody uses it in your group.
    However, the amount is only guessed and not calculated. So therefore these addons are pretty useless.
    What do you mean "guessed"? All abilities in game that cause threat has a known recorded threat coefficient. What the addon does it that it records the ability used from the combat log, applies the appropriate coefficient depending on the circumstances, buffs, etc and assigns it a threat value in the addons threat meter list.
    “Listen... Strange women lying in ponds distributing swords is no basis for a system of government. Supreme executive power derives from a mandate from the masses, not from some farcical aquatic ceremony.” – Dennis

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Storfan View Post
    What do you mean "guessed"? All abilities in game that case threat has a known recorded threat coefficient.
    Not known, but guessed Also boss mechanics are pretty much guessed. For example with Onyxia threat meters usually are wrong because Onyxia threat mechanics is a mystery.

5+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by vsb View Post
    Not known, but guessed Also boss mechanics are pretty much guessed. For example with Onyxia threat meters usually are wrong because Onyxia threat mechanics is a mystery.
    I would settle for "very very very well approximated", but not "guessed". The research having been done thru out the years certainly warrants some credit in that regard. On Onyxia I agree, it's currently quite tricky.

What do you mean "guessed"? All abilities in game that cause threat has a known recorded threat coefficient. What the addon does it that it records the ability used from the combat log, applies the appropriate coefficient depending on the circumstances, buffs, etc and assigns it a threat value in the addons threat meter list.
    This is what I kinda meant, yes. The threat relies on combat log parsing and not on threat API, which was added in WotLK. So the numbers can be wrong.

They work best (and many times even at all) if everyone uses the same one. So a guild should probably pick one and use it. But in many cases they still are estimated values so redlining it constantly can get you into trouble. Until one emerges as the "everyone uses it" option or all the different add-ons communicate with each other better it's the best you can hope for. The real / actual data isn't accessible like it is in retail so a perfect meter won't exsist in Classic from my understanding. But I could be mistaken here.

If I recall correctly, if you right click the cogwheel in Details! there is a thing called "Raid" this is the threat meter called "tiny threat." You'll want to create another window as this takes over the current window (if you want to go back to the meters part, I think it is "Everything").

As stated, none of the meters are accurate and work off approximation. On Onyxia for example, you could have 100k threat by phase 3 on the meter as a tank and show as the highest threat, but be below 2 other tanks.

However, on things like the Molten Giants in MC, both seemed to be fairly accurate (I run both meters) when they knock you back and lower your threat. The knock back lowered threat mechanic only seems to be recorded on Molten Giants and nearly every other boss/mob that does this you'll still be labeled the highest threat. So take the meter with a grain of salt.

Also, tiny threat (Details! pluggin) has my attacks generating more threat than ClassicThreatMeter. They both seem to get the aggro threshold correct, so it shouldn't reall be an issue as long as people are watching the threshold.
    Last edited by Coldfrostzero; 2019-10-28 at 12:21 PM.

Very hard for these addons to be 100% accurate, because alot of talents, buffs, mechanics and skills can influence threat.
    It's still a good indicator though. And pretty much how it was back in vanilla too.

5+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Nozuka View Post
    Very hard for these addons to be 100% accurate, because alot of talents, buffs, mechanics and skills can influence threat.
    It's still a good indicator though. And pretty much how it was back in vanilla too.
    Talents and buffs can be coded into the addon. Details already take inventory of your talent tree (and subsiquently what talents you have). This means that details can see if you have 5/5 defiance spec in your protection tree as warrior and apply the appropriate x1.45 threat multiplied to all talents you use, and since details communicate in a mesh with all other details users in the raid it all tallies up in a (probably) 99% correct threat list.

Now, I dont have access to the source code to the addon, but I assume this is how it's built.

Quote Originally Posted by Coldfrostzero View Post
    If I recall correctly, if you right click the cogwheel in Details! there is a thing called "Raid" this is the threat meter called "tiny threat." You'll want to create another window as this takes over the current window (if you want to go back to the meters part, I think it is "Everything").

As stated, none of the meters are accurate and work off approximation. On Onyxia for example, you could have 100k threat by phase 3 on the meter as a tank and show as the highest threat, but be below 2 other tanks.

However, on things like the Molten Giants in MC, both seemed to be fairly accurate (I run both meters) when they knock you back and lower your threat. The knock back lowered threat mechanic only seems to be recorded on Molten Giants and nearly every other boss/mob that does this you'll still be labeled the highest threat. So take the meter with a grain of salt.

Also, tiny threat (Details! pluggin) has my attacks generating more threat than ClassicThreatMeter. They both seem to get the aggro threshold correct, so it shouldn't reall be an issue as long as people are watching the threshold.
    Tiny threat pluggin what is it ? Its the second time u both mention that, its another addon that Works with him ? It can be installed from twitch like usual ?

Very tnx for ur answers

Whats that tiny threat pluggin ? Its another addon that work with him ? Can be installed from twitch Appliation desktop ?

Tnx very much

I would settle for "very very very well approximated", but not "guessed". The research having been done thru out the years certainly warrants some credit in that regard. On Onyxia I agree, it's currently quite tricky.
    "throuout the years?" The world of vanilla warcraft hasnt been availible for over a decade. Any priv server data is useless. priv server npc behaviour is guesswork based on anecdotal experience and memories.

Add to that, Threat meters werent as widely used in vanilla as people think. There arent a big load of data to go on. Especially on onyxia wich wasnt very relevant content at the time threatmeters started appearing.

Unless someone has been doing ALOT of digging this last month at best you have very rough guesses for most npc abilities.

Player skills however, are probobly quite well approximated. Those are alot easier to test in a controled envoriment.
    None of us really changes over time. We only become more fully what we are.

Quote Originally Posted by Reikly View Post
    Whats that tiny threat pluggin ? Its another addon that work with him ? Can be installed from twitch Appliation desktop ?

Tnx very much
    It's already built into Details! but you need to actually select it as an option under the "Raid" setting. You'll want a separate window since it transforms your current window into a threat meter.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Low Hanging Fruit View Post
    They work best (and many times even at all) if everyone uses the same one. So a guild should probably pick one and use it. But in many cases they still are estimated values so redlining it constantly can get you into trouble. Until one emerges as the "everyone uses it" option or all the different add-ons communicate with each other better it's the best you can hope for. The real / actual data isn't accessible like it is in retail so a perfect meter won't exsist in Classic from my understanding. But I could be mistaken here.
    This is not correct. All addons that I'm aware of use the same threat library https://github.com/EsreverWoW/LibThreatClassic so they are basically different skins for the same underlying code. And they are compatible with each other. The only difference might be if your addon is old and does not use newer library version. ClassicThreatMeter should be using the last version as this addon comes from the author of threat LibThreatClassic, so choose that addon if in doubt. But any popular addon inluding Details should work well. Just don't forget to update it.
    Last edited by vsb; 2019-10-28 at 01:20 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by vsb View Post
    This is not correct. All addons that I'm aware of use the same threat library https://github.com/EsreverWoW/LibThreatClassic so they are basically different skins for the same underlying code. And they are compatible with each other. The only difference might be if your addon is old and does not use newer library version. ClassicThreatMeter should be using the last version as this addon comes from the author of threat LibThreatClassic, so choose that addon if in doubt. But any popular addon inluding Details should work well. Just don't forget to update it.
    Guess they are just incompetent addon devs. Thanks for clearing up who sucks.

Quote Originally Posted by Low Hanging Fruit View Post
    Guess they are just incompetent addon devs. Thanks for clearing up who sucks.

Not a nice way to talk about someone who's spending their time to provide you with a free addon.

Talents and buffs can be coded into the addon. Details already take inventory of your talent tree (and subsiquently what talents you have). This means that details can see if you have 5/5 defiance spec in your protection tree as warrior and apply the appropriate x1.45 threat multiplied to all talents you use, and since details communicate in a mesh with all other details users in the raid it all tallies up in a (probably) 99% correct threat list.

Now, I dont have access to the source code to the addon, but I assume this is how it's built.

I had a look into the threatlibrary. It does indeed take into account your talents. Even saw some Item-Set Bonuses and special files for some Bosses with different mechanics.

But there are likely still errors when everything has to be calculated together. Even if Blizzard just rounds a number differently or cumulates different modifiers together in a slightly different way. As noone has access to the code, i imagine there is alot of trial and error involved.
    Last edited by Nozuka; 2019-10-28 at 01:54 PM.

tnx for ur answers, i will search that "Raid" setting