Page 2 of 18 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    I’m a classic fanboy and have been team classic. We knew classic brought in millions of subs from recent financial reports, but let’s not rain on the parade of retail

Other than not having necromancers (whyyyyyy) shadowlands had a lot to be excited about and let’s celebrate shadowlands today.

Classic isn’t going anywhere after all

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Yadryonych View Post
    He didn't say 'Classic wow brought back millions of subs to World of Warcraft', what he said was

Please stop imagining things
    Work on your reading comprehension, because that is what it means.

"Azeroth as it stood before the Cataclysm"

Literally the only thing he can be referring to with that phrase is Classic WoW, as the only official version of WoW that exists in a pre-Cata state is Classic WoW.
    Last edited by TEHPALLYTANK; 2019-11-01 at 11:18 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bigbamboozal View Post
    Intelligence is like four wheel drive, it's not going to make you unstoppable, it just sort of tends to get you stuck in more remote places.
    Quote Originally Posted by MerinPally View Post
    If you want to be disgusted, next time you kiss someone remember you've got your mouth on the end of a tube which has shit at the other end, held back by a couple of valves.

Elemental Lord
    15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by otaXephon View Post
    Based off of what concrete, indisputable evidence?
    Read the words you quoted.
    Last edited by caervek; 2019-11-01 at 11:53 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by caervek View Post
    Read the words you quoted.
    I must've missed the memo where it's now reasonable to assume completely unknowable information. I guess it's high time I finish my thesis paper on the meaning of life. (In case you're wondering, it's sandwiches.)

Elemental Lord
    15+ Year Old Account
    I must've missed the memo where it's now reasonable to assume completely unknowable information. I guess it's high time I finish my thesis paper on the meaning of life. (In case you're wondering, it's sandwiches.)
    Like I said, read what you quoted. I never claimed he was factually correct, I just pointed out that his assumption was the most reasonable assumption to make. It doesn't mean it's right, just that it's more likely to be right (compared to other less reasoned assumptions).

Like I said, read what you quoted. I never said he was factually correct, I just pointed out that his assumption was the most reasonable assumption to make. It doesn't mean it's right, just that it's more likely to be right.
    And the only thing I'm asking is what evidence is there to support such an assumption. Hello? Is this on?

Elemental Lord
    15+ Year Old Account
    And the only thing I'm asking is what evidence is there to support such an assumption.
    There isn't any, that's what makes his point an assumption rather than a presumption. Hence I said, his stance was a reasoned assumption (as opposed to a presumption or a statement of fact).

There isn't any, that's what makes his point an assumption rather than a presumption. Hence I said, his stance was a reasoned assumption (as opposed to a presumption or a statement of fact).
    You are guessing, not assuming. But given how needlessly semantic you're being, I assume you'll just point out that they're the same thing (they're not) so I'll save you the trouble and bow out before I have a stroke.

Mindblowing.
    It was leaked than revenue from subs was overtripled during August (a month with 0 new things in retail) they said you cant prove its returning players for classic.

They said millions went to play wow in Azeroth as it stood before Cataclysm and you re claiming that majority could be from players playing BFA for lols sake! Those very people talking down to those liking classic that is, those that according to August reports were representing less than a third of the playerbase in total (not those that decided to play classic on the side, but the total of BFA players was less than 1/3 of the playerbase).

I am so glad I have nothing to do with retail, I could say. But I would be wrong. The game is out there, god knows who plays it. People in forums talking down at others usually don't find their fix in game anymore and are around in forums bitching at others.

10+ Year Old Account
    I am one of them.

Quote Originally Posted by JaneDove View Post
    Oh the irony...

and they arent most people that are playing are people that switched from retail. Just wait till next year this time when threads like "why is my realm so dead?" pop up....
    That's already happening. People have already started leaving classic which is why they are changing the server pop into to show you the average "peak" time from 7 days instead of the current pop. if it continues to show current pop players will see how dead the servers are getting during Non-peak times. Live still shows real-time server pops depending on the time of day you are on, there was no legitimate reason for this change on classic other than the hide population issues.

Quote Originally Posted by Nestoras View Post
    Mindblowing.
    It was leaked than revenue from subs was overtripled during August (a month with 0 new things in retail) they said you cant prove its returning players for classic.

They said millions went to play wow in Azeroth as it stood before Cataclysm and you re claiming that majority could be from players playing BFA for lols sake! Those very people talking down to those liking classic that is, those that according to August reports were representing less than a third of the playerbase in total (not those that decided to play classic on the side, but the total of BFA players was less than 1/3 of the playerbase).

I am so glad I have nothing to do with retail, I could say. But I would be wrong. The game is out there, god knows who plays it. People in forums talking down at others usually don't find their fix in game anymore and are around in forums bitching at others.
    It wasn't leaked. That report came from a company that professionally guesses market trends. A 223% increase in an imaginary number is still an imaginary number. I'm all for singing the praises of Classic but I'm also a huge fan of making coherent arguments based on solid, knowable information.

Elemental Lord
    15+ Year Old Account
    You are guessing, not assuming.
    I'm not doing either.

I wasn't the guy making the reasoned assumption, I'm the person who was pointing out (to the dude attacking that guy) that the guys assumption was reasoned.

Hence my earlier point about reading the quotes you reply to.

I'm not doing either.

I wasn't the guy making the reasoned assumption, I'm the person who was pointing out (to the dude attacking that guy) that the guys assumption was reasoned.

Hence my earlier point about reading the quotes you reply to.
    I don't think the person you're responding to is saying that classic bringing back subs is wrong and not a possibility. Just that, the statements about millions returning to classic wow, as spoken by the developers, did not say "Millions of new subs came back for classic wow" they simply said "Millions have played classic wow"

A huge amount of those are honestly very likely to have been current subscribers, because they already have it so decide to check it out for a bit.

It could be that millions who were not subbed, came back and exclusively play classic wow, thats not impossible. I know i have heard many people talking about going back to make guilds in classic. But I also know that I play retail WoW, downloaded classic to try it out, save a name, etc, but havent really touched it passed level 4 because I mainly play WoW with my partner who is 100% focused on the mount collection and pet battle aspect of retail. So there is nothing for her as a long term objective in classic, thus there is no real reason for me to give classic any investment.

I still contributed to that number of people who "Went back to see azeroth before the cataclysm" though. So I think that assuming the quote "Millions returned to azeroth before the cataclysm" exclusively means millions of new subs came back to blizzard, is a reach.

It still seems like Classic has been hugely successful. Hopefully it will still be successful in years to come (I don't think it will because people complain about content draughts in retail so, unless they go down a route of bringing BC servers and stuff, or chain off their own Classic-Expansions, im unsure how they will retain players who have finished content)

All my details here are purely based off of what we saw at Blizzcon, i'm not digging around looking at financial report leaks or anything. Just the quotes relating to Classic WoW in Blizzcon, and the assumption made from them in this topic. If classic did literally triple their sub count, thats awesome for blizzard, especially if all they have to do is "maintain" the server and not work on content updates and still keep the playerbase happy. And I really don't care if people enjoy retail/classic/both/neither , its just a video game at the end of the day, no need to get tribal over it (That's not an accusation that you are being tribal, just a general comment about forum conduct from either side)

3+ Year Old Account
    Classic has brought me and five friends back. However, we now all ended up playing retail somehow and are really enjoying the modern approach to WoW. Still, classic is a solid game and I am happy for everyone enjoying their lives at level 60. What I am saying is, does it matter in which version the subs spend their time? We now have the choice which version we want to play and Blizzard is happy about the increase in profits. Everyone wins.
    Last edited by Cnfzs; 2019-11-02 at 02:33 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by toffmcsoft View Post
    It was mentioned twice already, Classic wow brought back millions of subs to World of Warcraft.
    SO all we need to do to retail wow to make it successful:
    1. Remove flying
    2. Make levelling a painful and length process.
    3. Remove almost all max level content
    4. Completely imbalance classes.

Everyone should be way happier shouldn't they ?

It is hard for me to spend the time getting to 60 knowing that there is nothing to do once there.

Challenge Mode : Play WoW like my disability has me play:
    You will need two people, Brian MUST use the mouse for movement/looking and John MUST use the keyboard for casting, attacking, healing etc.
    Briand and John share the same goal, same intentions - but they can't talk to each other, however they can react to each other's in game activities.
    Now see how far Brian and John get in WoW.

Quote Originally Posted by akaTheDude View Post
    Its strange how many people on MMO Champ HATE WoW Classic......its sad.
    I actually find a little irony of some of these people bagging WoW classic as nostalgia whilst posting on what is essentially web 1.0 forum tech.

Clearly there are newer/better ways to communicate in the modern social media sphere. But here they are still posting on web 1.0 tech rather than newer "superior" social platform tech.

If you can fathom an understanding of why the old technology and systems behind forums still make for an enjoyable platform for discussion in this day and age, then clearly you must also be able to come to the conclusion that there's a lot of people who still enjoy the older gameplay/systems aspects in classic, and aren't just there for "nostalgia".

It is good for the game that Classic brought so many players back.This means Blizzard will think about making TBC or Classic+ in the future.Also more players in Classic means healthier servers.
    It begins with absence and desire.It begins with blood and fear.It begins with....

I wasn't subbed but redubbed to play classic for what it's worth. A lot of my friends did this as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Butterland View Post
    To be fair, private servers were always a minority. The vast majority of Classic players never touched a private server.
    So true, i have played the heck out of Classic and I never played on a private server because I didn't want to deal with the stupid immersion breaking things that can happen on them. Nostalrius did tempt me because of its reputation but knowing that the better that private server is would increase the likelihood that Blizzard would shut it down kept me from even trying it.