Page 1 of 2
LastLast

Possible problem with new leveling squish

So, they've stated that they'll use a simple formula to figure out the leveling squish. Essentially, if a level 120 is going to squish to a level 50, that's dividing by 2.4. I'm not sure if it will be that simple, but let's assume it will be for the purpose of this post.

Currently, I'm leveling up 8 alts. They're all in the mid to high 40s. I've been taking it slowly with them during my down time from playing my main. Anyway, that means I'm about 75% of the way through Eastern Kingdoms or Kalimdor. After the squish, my alts should move down to about level 20. There's not going to be enough content in the revamped WoW zones to finish leveling up to 50. I guess I can't propose that they leave 1-50 levels the same without squishing, because that would allow people to level up to 50 now and basically get the equivalent of a boost.

In other words, characters who are in the middle of leveling now are going to be left a little bit on their own so that they'll likely have to do a partial expansion to get to 50. This would be the same in any of the expansions. There's no way I see around it, and I don't see it as a true problem. However, I figured I'd point that out to people.

Quote Originally Posted by Drewbacca View Post
    So, they've stated that they'll use a simple formula to figure out the leveling squish. Essentially, if a level 120 is going to squish to a level 50, that's dividing by 2.4. I'm not sure if it will be that simple, but let's assume it will be for the purpose of this post.

Currently, I'm leveling up 8 alts. They're all in the mid to high 40s. I've been taking it slowly with them during my down time from playing my main. Anyway, that means I'm about 75% of the way through Eastern Kingdoms or Kalimdor. After the squish, my alts should move down to about level 20. There's not going to be enough content in the revamped WoW zones to finish leveling up to 50. I guess I can't propose that they leave 1-50 levels the same without squishing, because that would allow people to level up to 50 now and basically get the equivalent of a boost.

In other words, characters who are in the middle of leveling now are going to be left a little bit on their own so that they'll likely have to do a partial expansion to get to 50. This would be the same in any of the expansions. There's no way I see around it, and I don't see it as a true problem. However, I figured I'd point that out to people.
    World zones scale to your level...

Quote Originally Posted by HCLM View Post
    World zones scale to your level...
    Right, I know that. However, if I go ahead and finish off leveling through EK, for instance, I'm not going to be to 50 yet. That means I'd have to do one of the other expansions and would ding 50 midway through it. Part of the problem Blizzard is trying to fix is that they don't want people to max out mid-expansion. I guess that's unavoidable though and is only really a problem for those of us who like to level with the lore rather than trying to get to max level as quickly as possible. It's also a problem that will only present itself to the people mid-leveling right now.

There are a ton of questions to go with the level scaling and level squish; what dungeons will you be able to que for while leveling?, if you want to change expansions in the middle of leveling, how do you do it and what happens?, will this mean that some expansions will be ghost towns while others are busy?. I think that Ion is trying to compete with Classic and he made more promises than he can keep which he will talk about later with the same stupid "mistakes were made" speech. I truly feel sorry for the coders that have to try to work this mess of promises into something that is worth playing.

Right, I know that. However, if I go ahead and finish off leveling through EK, for instance, I'm not going to be to 50 yet. That means I'd have to do one of the other expansions and would ding 50 midway through it. Part of the problem Blizzard is trying to fix is that they don't want people to max out mid-expansion. I guess that's unavoidable though and is only really a problem for those of us who like to level with the lore rather than trying to get to max level as quickly as possible. It's also a problem that will only present itself to the people mid-leveling right now.
    Why is that a problem to you?

Quote Originally Posted by Ronin2k View Post
    Why is that a problem to you?
    Because I don't want to be halfway through BC and ding 50. I level for immersive lore experience, but I'm not mad enough to play half an expansion without gaining experience just to finish the story. I'm just pointing out that if you're starting fresh in Shadowlands, you'll ding 50 in Blasted Lands or Silithis if you're doing EK or Kalimdor. However, if you already started leveling, you could be in Zangarmarsh and have to give up on the rest of BC to go on to Shadowlands... or you just finish the rest of BC with nothing but cosmetic rewards. I don't think the earlier expansions are going to scale past 50.

Again, I don't think there's anything Blizzard can do about it. I just was pointing it out in case anyone was leveling through for the first time and found themselves not dinging 50 in the same area when most other people do.

Because I don't want to be halfway through BC and ding 50. I level for immersive lore experience, but I'm not mad enough to play half an expansion without gaining experience just to finish the story. I'm just pointing out that if you're starting fresh in Shadowlands, you'll ding 50 in Blasted Lands or Silithis if you're doing EK or Kalimdor. However, if you already started leveling, you could be in Zangarmarsh and have to give up on the rest of BC to go on to Shadowlands... or you just finish the rest of BC with nothing but cosmetic rewards. I don't think the earlier expansions are going to scale past 50.

Again, I don't think there's anything Blizzard can do about it. I just was pointing it out in case anyone was leveling through for the first time and found themselves not dinging 50 in the same area when most other people do.
    Nothing about this is immersive, so not sure why you drew the line where you did.

Ech. Mate please go and watch deep dive again. They explained very in detail how the leveling will work. You dont have to select an expansion to play, when you are at level 10 or above.

10+ Year Old Account

Or maybe they see the amount of zones you actually completed the quests in and give you the level appropriate with this? so if you have done like you say 75% of the zones, they put you at 75% of lvl 50.

Anyway you will eventually lvl 50 before you finish the xpac you are leveling in. The simple fact is that some players will only do the main story and some others might farm on the side at the same time. Both of those needs to ding lvl 50 before the end of the storyline they are in or they will have to start a 2nd xpac and not complete it. So if you do all the side quests and do some farming for professions on the side you will ding 50 way before the one who only do the bare minimum of quests.

Quote Originally Posted by benting View Post
    Nothing about this is immersive, so not sure why you drew the line where you did.
    Ok, you don't find it immersive... fine. At Blizzcon, they announced that the didn't like people out leveling the content... even with older expansions. They will in this way. It's just that some people, not most, will still find things jarring and Blizzard's solution to the problem doesn't fix it. There's nothing they can do about it, and it only affects characters who aren't already max level.

As another example, say you're at 115 at the time of the expansion and are enjoying leveling through BfA. You're about halfway through the leveling experience of the expansion. At the squish, you get converted to level 48. Those last two levels aren't going to be enough to finish up much of BfA. You have a choice: either skip the last half of BfA or go ahead and complete the rest of it while not getting any more levels because you're already maxed at 50 in that expansion. The same problem has happened in the past when they sped up leveling in past expansions, but this level squish and choose-your-own-expansion feature was designed to solve that problem. It doesn't for people already mid-way through leveling.

Quote Originally Posted by Kagdar View Post
    Or maybe they see the amount of zones you actually completed the quests in and give you the level appropriate with this? so if you have done like you say 75% of the zones, they put you at 75% of lvl 50.
    That's an interesting solution, but it would mean that a level 30, 65, 75, 83, 88, 95, 105, and 115 would all end up at the same level after the squish. I'm just guessing but I think some will have a problem with that.
    Last edited by Drewbacca; 2019-11-04 at 06:56 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by khazmodan View Post
    There are a ton of questions to go with the level scaling and level squish; what dungeons will you be able to que for while leveling?, if you want to change expansions in the middle of leveling, how do you do it and what happens?, will this mean that some expansions will be ghost towns while others are busy?. I think that Ion is trying to compete with Classic and he made more promises than he can keep which he will talk about later with the same stupid "mistakes were made" speech. I truly feel sorry for the coders that have to try to work this mess of promises into something that is worth playing.
    I know this might be news to you, but literally nothing Ion talked about was decided while he was talking. He was talking about things that have long been decided on and started being built and tested already, and your questions have been brought up and answered internally, without a shadow of a doubt. As we get closer to expansion release, no doubt more information will come out which will answer those questions.
    Quote Originally Posted by Addiena
    Whats the saying .. You have two brain cells and they are both fighting for third place !

In truth, this is not really a big problem. I just was pointing out a slight flaw in the system. After a month or so, most people will have moved past it.

I just hope my alt Allied Race which is probably around the ... 68-69 ? won't be fucked up from the Heritage Armor if I ever come back in 9.X due to some rounding bullshit which will tell me "oh you didn't level up to max level without boosting, get rekt".

Ok, you don't find it immersive... fine. At Blizzcon, they announced that the didn't like people out leveling the content... even with older expansions. They will in this way. It's just that some people, not most, will still find things jarring and Blizzard's solution to the problem doesn't fix it. There's nothing they can do about it, and it only affects characters who aren't already max level.

As another example, say you're at 115 at the time of the expansion and are enjoying leveling through BfA. You're about halfway through the leveling experience of the expansion. At the squish, you get converted to level 48. Those last two levels aren't going to be enough to finish up much of BfA. You have a choice: either skip the last half of BfA or go ahead and complete the rest of it while not getting any more levels because you're already maxed at 50 in that expansion. The same problem has happened in the past when they sped up leveling in past expansions, but this level squish and choose-your-own-expansion feature was designed to solve that problem. It doesn't for people already mid-way through leveling.

That's an interesting solution, but it would mean that a level 30, 65, 75, 83, 88, 95, 105, and 115 would all end up at the same level after the squish. I'm just guessing but I think some will have a problem with that.
    For the squish, they wont base it on level but xp. It wont be linear. A level 80 and a level 110 wont be squished equally.

This will also be affected by how much xp they remove. If leveling is faster theres only 2 ways to handle that really. Give more xp or cut the amount needed.

If you want to finish an expansions storyline...then do that. How hard is that?
    "Auto-correct is my worst enema."

So dont stop questing. If you level for immersion and the lore experience, as you claim, just keep questing. You're welcome.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Anastacy View Post
    If you want to finish an expansions storyline...then do that. How hard is that?
    Exactly. This is one of those "i do it for A" when really, we all know thats not the case. If immersion and lore is so important, there is NOTHING stopping a player from continuing.

- - - Updated - - -

In truth, this is not really a big problem. I just was pointing out a slight flaw in the system. After a month or so, most people will have moved past it.
    Its not a flaw, its finding "problems" where none exist.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by HCLM View Post
    Ech. Mate please go and watch deep dive again. They explained very in detail how the leveling will work. You dont have to select an expansion to play, when you are at level 10 or above.
    You dont have to? seems to me you will make a choice......in fact its that very choice that they promoted so heavily.

I lvled an alt recently and in two zones I was lvl 60. I don't think I finished the 2nd one. There's enough quests in WoW that you could lvl all your 8 chars and not repeat any quests.

If the issue is lvling to soon... Then keep questing after lvl 50. Its already an issue now, except now you have to move to the next expansion after the 1st zone or so.
    Last edited by kattarina; 2019-11-04 at 07:22 AM.

To be honest, at this point I would just hold on to leveling any alts. I want to experience the RPG aspect of the game again. Earn skills every level and participate in World PvP with returning skills, sounds exciting. XD

I know that saying "delete your alts and start again later" sounds awful but think about how many people will be leveling together during pre-patch. That's what I will be doing.

Quote Originally Posted by Stickiler View Post
    I know this might be news to you, but literally nothing Ion talked about was decided while he was talking. He was talking about things that have long been decided on and started being built and tested already, and your questions have been brought up and answered internally, without a shadow of a doubt. As we get closer to expansion release, no doubt more information will come out which will answer those questions.
    Really? I didn't know you were in the room when they talked about this... sounds like you are talking out of your ass about things you know nothing about.

If being immersive is so important to you nobody is forcing you to stop questing in tbc just because you dinged 50. If you are already half through leveling when the expac hits obviously you are not a new player and understand what's going on I still don't see a problem