10+ Year Old Account

Dragon Age: Origins. 10 Years Old Today

Probably one of my favourite games of all time (Top 10 for sure), Dragon Age: Origins turns 10 years old on this day.

Where did that time go? It;s a game I still love, and a game I still replay. This was one of the first games I played during a time when I was enthralled by WoW which was at it's peak at this time. This was the first game to break that stay in WoW and make me get back out and play other games again. And was I thankful for that.

This game had everything, great story, great characters, a combat system that was slow and comfortable.

While the graphics have aged a little now, the mod scene is still every ongoing and has helped fix that issue. I cannot say how many hours combined I sunk into this game let alone the amount of playthroughs.

It;s one of my favourite games of the 2000's for sure.

It;s kind of sad because even though I did enjoy the dequels (even though most didn't) there was no doubt that the first game is untouchable.

Do you look back fondly on this game 10 years later, did you play it? Do you still play it? Has it aged.

Thought it would be nice to share. Maybe you might not look as fondly on this game as I did, but I thought it was worth mentioning

10+ Year Old Account
    I recently started playing through Origins again. Its one of my favorite RPGs.
    Appreciate your time with friends and family while they're here. Don't wait until they're gone to tell them what they mean to you.

Fantastic game, I tried replaying through it earlier this year and I just couldn't do it. The shortcomings of the engine did me in. I know this isn't a problem for most people who love it, and if you haven't played it at all, you really must, but it will live on in my memory as a great experience.

One thing I noted about Origins is how well the visuals aged. The dark and gritty look and feel of the game is fantastic and I say this as someone who hasn't played it back in the days. I really wonder why this type of stilistic direction has disappeared over the years.

It's been that long already, eh? Damn!

I really enjoyed the first Dragon Age game. It just had something special that the sequels simply did not have.

I loved the game but didn't see it as a spiritual successor to Baldurs Gate; which I think one of the devs said was how he felt (I think he had the right to he was a dev on BG too, but if I'm way off the mark here fair 'nuff), but other than that it was pretty much perfect. The only thing I would change would be to make more of it.

Unfortunate that the people in charge felt "more of the same" wouldn't be a winning formula for the sequels.
    Quote Originally Posted by Shalcker View Post
    Posting here is primarily a way to strengthen your own viewpoint against common counter-arguments.

Man i have been jonesing for a new Dragon age game for the last few days and this pops up. Anyone have any legit / good info on when one is coming?

Quote Originally Posted by analmoose View Post
    Man i have been jonesing for a new Dragon age game for the last few days and this pops up. Anyone have any legit / good info on when one is coming?
    It's been pushed back or restarted multiple times now, frankly with how Bioware is atm, I don't really expect another one.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Myobi View Post
    Still my favorite Dragon Age game, sad that Bioware dumbed down everything about it that I loved in order to make room for a more fast paced, action oriented sort of game.

Welp... thank god for Larian Studios.
    Yea, that's where I kind of flipped to as well, they sort of carry that feel on

The tactics system was the best thing ever, configuring and tweaking your party AI was fun (and the mod that expanded upon it). I was so disappointed that they didn't keep it for the third game.
    "In order to maintain a tolerant society, the society must be intolerant of intolerance." Paradox of tolerance

Between mediocre story and terribly balanced combat it's probably one of my least favourite Bioware games.
    Quote Originally Posted by anaxie View Post
    Looking for Raid.
    They never found one though

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by analmoose View Post
    The Bioware that made an RPG such as Origins is long gone, and judging by recent state of their output, not coming back.

The best we can hope for in the AAA space is that developers such as CDPR (or perhaps Obsidian now that they're wholly owned by Microsoft) eventually picks up the torch, with a return to more fantasy based western rpgs at some point.

Played it when it came out, loved it, still do. An absolute gem of a game.

I did enjoy DA2, though. Not as epic, but it had it's own charm. Haven't played Inquisition.

Tried to replay the game about a year or so ago. I couldn't do it. Couldn't get past the into zone. For me, DA:O is one of those games I played, I loved, and won't get the same experience ever again replaying it now. That said, it's still the best of what the franchise had to offer, Awakening being close second.

DA2 was a clusterfuck with only thing interesting being Varric, and Inquisition had some of the most retarded dialogues I've seen in years. The idea that Andraste's Chosen would actually believe that he was chosen by God seemed to strike the devs as pure nonsense, and that reflects in the writing.

Quote Originally Posted by Astalnar View Post
    Tried to replay the game about a year or so ago. I couldn't do it. Couldn't get past the into zone. For me, DA:O is one of those games I played, I loved, and won't get the same experience ever again replaying it now. That said, it's still the best of what the franchise had to offer, Awakening being close second.
    Actually finding the same thing.

I also find it frustrating that there is this sort of "gotcha" style progression path with some characters ie alistair where you have to be kind of a dick to get the "best" outcome with no real indication of what you are doing at the time. This game was the turning point for bioware, for the worse. Still had a great time playing origins but I find it too frustrating to get back in to and I don't like having to have a wiki handy to know the ramifications of my actions because doing something good might have something bad happen and vice versa. Sounds good in theory, in practice - not so much.
    The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, but wiser people so full of doubts.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Astalnar View Post

DA2 was a clusterfuck with only thing interesting being Varric, and Inquisition had some of the most retarded dialogues I've seen in years. The idea that Andraste's Chosen would actually believe that he was chosen by God seemed to strike the devs as pure nonsense, and that reflects in the writing.
    Haven't played DA:I in a couple of years now, so I may be misremembering some things, but the player character wasn't actually "Andraste's Chosen" in that story, so much as that being a role thrust upon the player character by everyone around him at their insistence, by mistake.

There's a lot subtle nuances and plot threads in that game that it isn't entirely up-front with, that we'll likely never get a satisfying conclusion to with how EA wants to turn DA4 into a "live service" bullcrap.

Due to reasons I didn't get to it until about two years ago. It hadn't aged well, but you could work with it due to its wondrous characters and political arc.
    Now you see it. Now you don't.

But was where Dalaran?

Well apparently I spoke too soon.

https://twitter.com/bioware/status/1191052436095393793

As much as I'd love a new DA game, I have no faith in Bioware at this point.

10+ Year Old Account
    Nearby, preventing you from fast traveling.
    Good game. One of the few real time with pause games I’ve ever liked (Particularly because you could ignore the pause part). Great story, great world, great characters. They don’t make them like that anymore.

Defo in my top 5 rpgs of all time. Have not had a play through for a few years. Could be that time again.