Page 1 of 5
... LastLast
    5+ Year Old Account

Still trying to wrap my head around the fact that..

Sargeras only gets like one in-game cutscene dedicated to him.

Meanwhile,

Sylvanas gets three entire cinematics + the BFA cinematics of screentime, and narrates two of them. On top of tons of merchandise, and off-screen books/comics.

At this point, no other character in Warcraft has ever had such a profound effect on the story and none of them have ever gotten the same amount of attention she has sans maybe Arthas?

I don't even know what to make of that. What do you guys think? Am I unreasonable for thinking this is ridiculous? At least her VA is eating well.
    Honorary member of the Baine Fanclub, the only member really.

She's also appeared in two other prendered cinematics (Lost Honor and Reckoning), got a Warbringers animated short, and has been the star of several ingame cutscenes.

10+ Year Old Account
    I guess it's the result of the combined effect of being loved by Danuser, hated by Golden and despised/enjoyed by the WoW Community. Personally I don't think it's unreasonable for you to think it's ridiculous and I myself find some aspects of her focus ridiculous (moreso on the quality of writing and it's developments).

As for Sargeras getting one cinematic, I guess it's cause they forgot to actually give him a character aside from "Destroy Azeroth" and thought having him lecture KJ and just turn up at the end of Argus in a cloud was enough.
    Elune: "My sister needed Anima so I let my favoured people die. What is this 'Maw' you speak of?"
    Daily reminder that Steam has never had a monopoly on PC Gaming, don't mistake age and popularity for domination.
    Because people don't understand words: Forced and Necessity

Less people would complain if she still appeared in her bikini armor.

I'm bias....I love sylvanas. I think it's popular to hate her nowadays. I follow fellow WoW nerds on Instagram and many of them seem to hate her because everyone else is doing it. Most of the people that hate her tend to be men-boys that scream "SJW BS!!!! how can a chick pwn the lich king?!?!" Anyone that overuses the term "SJW" has been rather unintelligent in my experience.

I do think after this expansion we will see a lot less of sylvanas though. Seems evident that her story arc is coming to a close in shadowlands.

The Unstoppable Force Lorgar Aurelian's Avatar
    7+ Year Old Account
    wow is character driven and sargaras had next to no character. just look at illidan he got a bunch of cut scenes his own expan and a book.

15+ Year Old Account
    Most people enjoy Sylvanas. It is really only some edgelords on the internet who are envious of Danuser that don't. The same kind of incels who hate Golden and anyone else who writes anything for WoW at all.

The devs just were lazy to develop Sargeras more in legion. Were as most other villians get more development. We just see a cloud surrounding azeroth at the end until the titans pull him back. Still trying to figure out why he stabbed azeroth, if the heart of azeroth was really being used to release N'zoth. Did he really hurt azeroth though?

Maybe cause Sargeras isn't a main character driving the story forward.

If you count the Legion intro, she has 4 cinematics, narrating 2 and dialogue in 3.

And yes, it's fucking stupid and cheap. But I'm sure recycling cinematic assets keeps the Activision budget happy.

10+ Year Old Account
    Almost like sargeras' only trait is that hes a big bad guy.
    Originally Posted by Blizzard Entertainment
    Crabs have been removed from the game... because if I see another one I’m just going to totally lose it. *sobbing* I’m sorry, I just can’t right now... I just... OK just give me a minute, I’ll be OK..

Personally, i cant stand her as a character, i find her to be very poorly written, predictable, and just not a relate-able or interesting character at all. I also really dont like the voice actor work with her, and sort of cringe and look away when she is trying to be all dramatic and broody.

I find most of the characters around her FAR more intriguing, and wish she was not center stage AGAIN. Her story was shit this expac, and im confident it will be shit again in shadowlands.

But hey, if you are a big fan of hers, and like her story, no skin off my nose.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Nnyco View Post
    Almost like Sylvanas is a dark, broody 1 dimensional character with no redeemable traits.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by How dare you View Post
    Maybe cause Sargeras isn't a main character driving the story forward.
    Thats specifically what is being talked about - the main character driving the story forward is turning some people off, while other huge lore figures receive next to no attention.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Ret4resto View Post
    I'm bias....I love sylvanas. I think it's popular to hate her nowadays. I follow fellow WoW nerds on Instagram and many of them seem to hate her because everyone else is doing it. Most of the people that hate her tend to be men-boys that scream "SJW BS!!!! how can a chick pwn the lich king?!?!" Anyone that overuses the term "SJW" has been rather unintelligent in my experience.

I do think after this expansion we will see a lot less of sylvanas though. Seems evident that her story arc is coming to a close in shadowlands.
    What an absolutely silly thing to say - trying to bunch anyone who doesnt agree with you into being either a "man boy", or someone just getting on the band wagon. Try to understand that some people just genuinely dont agree with you, and dont like her as a character.

Quote Originally Posted by Sharby View Post

At this point, no other character in Warcraft has ever had such a profound effect on the story
    I can't say a lot becuase the sheer ammount of insane from this quote has left me speechless.

Quote Originally Posted by Nnyco View Post
    I know there will be people that'll just retort that Sylvannas is the exact same thing, but that's rather shallow thinking. The real problem is the ability to craft a story/narrative around a character and actually have gameplay that reflects said narrative. If we're talking Sargeras, he's so huge (literally and figuratively) and beyond our characters that even if there was some dimensionality to his character, there's little to no way you could have actual gameplay surrounding him and his story. Sylvannas, on the other hand, is much closer to our characters and much easier to weave a narrative around which players can actually interact.

If we're talking someone on the same level as Sylvannas being the focus instead, I suppose you can make a case. However, from the Alliance perspective in BfA, Jaina is waaaaay more prominent and central to the current expansion than Sylvannas for most of it, and Alliance-specific cutscenes are loaded with Jaina. When we go to grand scale narrative, I think Sylvannas would be present in many of the cutscenes even if she wasn't the focus of the narrative right now as she's been the Warchief. Same logic goes for Anduin and his abundant presence in cutscenes, as he's the leader of the Alliance.

Even if you throw all this away, there's also the fact that we're 15 years into WoW and Blizz is getting to the point where they're interjecting a LOT more content in the forms of cinematic/in-game rendered animations/extra media/etc. than they did at the beginning of the game... all of this not being possible for them at the beginning. If anything, the rise in amount of content that just happens to contain Sylvannas is more of a testament of Blizz's ability to pump out extra media unlike ever before instead of "Sylvannas favoritism" driving Blizz to put out more media. I can almost guarantee once Sylvannas ceases to be a prominent figure in the storyline, the next central figures are going to have the same, if not more, treatment compared to Sylvannas.
    “Society is endangered not by the great profligacy of a few, but by the laxity of morals amongst all.”
    “It's not an endlessly expanding list of rights — the 'right' to education, the 'right' to health care, the 'right' to food and housing. That's not freedom, that's dependency. Those aren't rights, those are the rations of slavery — hay and a barn for human cattle.”
    ― Alexis de Tocqueville

5+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by exochaft View Post
    I know there will be people that'll just retort that Sylvannas is the exact same thing, but that's rather shallow thinking. The real problem is the ability to craft a story/narrative around a character and actually have gameplay that reflects said narrative. If we're talking Sargeras, he's so huge (literally and figuratively) and beyond our characters that even if there was some dimensionality to his character, there's little to no way you could have actual gameplay surrounding him and his story. Sylvannas, on the other hand, is much closer to our characters and much easier to weave a narrative around which players can actually interact.

If we're talking someone on the same level as Sylvannas being the focus instead, I suppose you can make a case. However, from the Alliance perspective in BfA, Jaina is waaaaay more prominent and central to the current expansion than Sylvannas for most of it, and Alliance-specific cutscenes are loaded with Jaina. When we go to grand scale narrative, I think Sylvannas would be present in many of the cutscenes even if she wasn't the focus of the narrative right now as she's been the Warchief. Same logic goes for Anduin and his abundant presence in cutscenes, as he's the leader of the Alliance.

Even if you throw all this away, there's also the fact that we're 15 years into WoW and Blizz is getting to the point where they're interjecting a LOT more content in the forms of cinematic/in-game rendered animations/extra media/etc. than they did at the beginning of the game... all of this not being possible for them at the beginning. If anything, the rise in amount of content that just happens to contain Sylvannas is more of a testament of Blizz's ability to pump out extra media unlike ever before instead of "Sylvannas favoritism" driving Blizz to put out more media. I can almost guarantee once Sylvannas ceases to be a prominent figure in the storyline, the next central figures are going to have the same, if not more, treatment compared to Sylvannas.
    Very good points and I agree for the most part.

My issue is that Sylvanas is(was?) very pro-Horde/anti-Alliance which is why her getting so much attention is grating and rubs me the wrong way, it would be a lot different if she started out as a neutral/enemy of all character from the get go. But to see a character that shits all over your team be propped up so much, and triumph so much over your heroes leaves a bad taste in the mouth and why I don't think she was the right character to do this with. Its made even worse by the fact that she was also player aligned for a very long time, and her equivalent (Anduin) was very passive in comparison. Even during Legion where he received a lot of attention he didn't do nearly as much as she has.

At least with Thrall, him succeeding never meant direct harm to my faction, so I was able to happily cheer him on.

I think it's good that they are putting out so much stuff and content for characters now, I just wish that it was a character everyone could love/hate together. Right now it just feels the only people who can enjoy this content are pro-Sylvanas individuals.
    Honorary member of the Baine Fanclub, the only member really.

that Shadowlands is essentially a DLC with an expansion price tag.

Quote Originally Posted by Daemos daemonium View Post
    wow is character driven and sargaras had next to no character. just look at illidan he got a bunch of cut scenes his own expan and a book.
    This. I mean, I like Legion lore and all, but Sargeras is essentially WoW's big bad, its boogeyman. He's evil incarnate, equivalent to Lucifer, The Devil. There's not much else. You can't make a character that's inherently evil the face of your franchise, not even the main villain. Kil'jaeden was more the face of the Legion than Sargergas because even he has more of a backstory.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Luxeley View Post
    that Shadowlands is essentially a DLC with an expansion price tag.
    White knights are convinced fixing broken classes and adding eye colors for customize are more important than new playable class/new race.

Quote Originally Posted by Ret4resto View Post

I guess its more that shes been Mary Sued as a way to push the story rather than a natural evolution of the character. Currently she seems rather 1 dimensional and overpowered which makes her fall a bit flat and uninteresting

Shes been hit with B Movie bad guyitis

Quote Originally Posted by Sharby View Post
    Sargeras only gets like one in-game cutscene dedicated to him.

Meanwhile,

Sylvanas gets three entire cinematics + the BFA cinematics of screentime, and narrates two of them. On top of tons of merchandise, and off-screen books/comics.

At this point, no other character in Warcraft has ever had such a profound effect on the story and none of them have ever gotten the same amount of attention she has sans maybe Arthas?

I don't even know what to make of that. What do you guys think? Am I unreasonable for thinking this is ridiculous? At least her VA is eating well.
    Didn't arca mention awhile back that he's not completely out of the picture, game wise?
    I wouldn't count him out, but that's me.
    The hunter hoe with the least beloe.

You haven't seen the last of Sargeras. He, Illidan, and the rest of the Titans have been written out of the story, for now. They will definitely be back in the future when the story shifts back to the Void and the Light. No prison lasts forever. Someone like Sargeras will eventually break out or be freed.