Page 9 of 19 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    I'll speculate that while the game is confirmed to be released with 5 classes, it's very likely more are already planned for follow-up expansions and potentially in initial design. Now before the ire descends about having classes already planned for expansions as a $$$-only mentality, as players who are wanting this game out as soon as possible, this works out of the best for us.

Consider this: imagine the base game only came with 3 classes at the start. More likely than not, we would've had a release date for D4 at Blizzcon, and it probably would've been relatively Soon™. However, I think there would be an outcry of a limited number of classes at launch. Five classes at the start feels more "right," but it comes at the cost of more development time. I think if Blizz had unlimited resources and manpower, they'd release as many classes they could think of as soon as possible as launch.

Anyways, I digress. What I think the next two classes will be an dexterity-based class (likely ranged, like Amazon) and a support class (such as Crusader). I'm torn as I want to fit Assassin in, but I think it'd have to switch places with the Amazon as I feel like they really want a support class. Now, if the support class is ranged (like a Cleric perhaps), I'd definitely lean way more towards Assassin. My end result is 2 melee and 2 ranged plus Druid, since I don't know enough about how they're implementing Druid for D4 since the limited footage I've seen indicates melee and ranged abilities a la hybrid.
    “Society is endangered not by the great profligacy of a few, but by the laxity of morals amongst all.”
    “It's not an endlessly expanding list of rights — the 'right' to education, the 'right' to health care, the 'right' to food and housing. That's not freedom, that's dependency. Those aren't rights, those are the rations of slavery — hay and a barn for human cattle.”
    ― Alexis de Tocqueville

They probably aren't getting my money with a Pally/Cru option, so hope that's one of them.

Quote Originally Posted by Video Games View Post
    I'm hoping we get items with other class skills back so I can whirlwind druid all day
    Confirmed to not happen btw, if you missed it.

I hope we DON'T get Demon Hunter, the way it was done in D3 really doesn't fit the aesthetic of D4. Amazon and Necromancer/Paladin is what I'm hoping for. Since D4 is a "back to the roots" with lessons learned from D3, I doubt we'll see a new class, and I also doubt Monk, Crusader, or Witch Doctor are happening.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Tojara View Post
    Pretty obvious its going to be necromancer and amazon (or something ranged).

Not releasing a fully realized necromancer at the start of D4 would be an absolute travesty.
    Agreed, and if they don't do Necromancer for one of the first classes, they have to at least have planned for it to be added later, as D3 Necromancer feels like a mod rather than a proper class.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Kagdar View Post
    Since we will have Barbarian and Druid as the more melee oriented classes i'd say we won't see the paladin or the crusader in D4.

But i can see something like a Cleric class. The cleric was a scrapped class that was originally planned to be in Diablo 2 at some point.
    Problem with not adding Paladin is that shields won't have a place without them, as Barbarians and Druids both don't use them.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Segus1992 View Post
    Problem with not adding Paladin is that shields won't have a place without them, as Barbarians and Druids both don't use them.
    Cleric could be the shield wielding class be being more focused on spells than melee attack. The paladin/crusader are both heavily focus on melee attacks while having a little bit of spells. Cleric could be the opposite, heavy spells with a little bit of melee.

Cleric could be the shield wielding class be being more focused on spells than melee attack. The paladin/crusader are both heavily focus on melee attacks while having a little bit of spells. Cleric could be the opposite, heavy spells with a little bit of melee.
    I don't see Cleric happening, as it's a support heavy class, which is why it was scrapped in the first place. Going from D3, where no class is inherently a support at all, to a class whose fantasy is to support front-line champions isn't likely.

Plus, Paladin is a cooler fantasy and could have a couple support spells to allow for a support build for those that want it, but a class entirely around support with a few damage spells? Nah.

They'd be mad not to do Necromancer

Which leaves an agile archetype missing. There are several options for that: Amazon, Demon Hunter, Assasin, Monk, or something new. Monk would fulfill the niche of holy warrior, but isn't as popular as other options and would be a pain point for bringing the Paladin back in an expansion. Assassin is more flexible than the Demon Hunter and Amazon, being able to conceivably do both ranged and melee while also fitting shadow magic in, but is less specifically thematic than either.

Quote Originally Posted by Tojara View Post
    Pretty obvious its going to be necromancer and amazon (or something ranged).

Not releasing a fully realized necromancer at the start of D4 would be an absolute travesty.
    I'm a big Necromancer fan and I'm hoping it makes it in too.

It seems like they may already have the summoner base covered with the Druid though. At least, if it follows the design of the D2 Druid

Do you think they would release with two summoner classes?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Segus1992 View Post
    I don't see Cleric happening, as it's a support heavy class, which is why it was scrapped in the first place. Going from D3, where no class is inherently a support at all, to a class whose fantasy is to support front-line champions isn't likely.

Plus, Paladin is a cooler fantasy and could have a couple support spells to allow for a support build for those that want it, but a class entirely around support with a few damage spells? Nah.
    How is cleric a support class? i can just be a holy caster class without having to be about supporting others. How are paladins not a support class when they have full on auras?
    Cooler fantasy is up to debate.

I'm just saying they could go the route of a more caster oriented Holy class instead of the paladin and the crusader. And the cleric could be just that. Cleric is all about using holy magic to empower yourself and you equipment to better fight evil. Holy shield, Holy might, Smite etc. They can clearly go in both melee or more caster ways.

I just think going Paladin would feel like a remake of Diablo 2 instead of creating something new yet somewhat familiar with a Cleric.

Necromancer should sit out a game in my opinion. let the light shine on something new.(like when Crusader appeared) a completely new class would be nice.
    Anemo: traveler, Sucrose
    Pyro: Yanfei, Amber, diluc, xiangling, thoma, Xinyan, Bennett
    Geo: Noelle, Ningguang, Yun Jin, Gorou
    Hydro: Barbara, Zingqiu, Ayato
    Cyro: Shenhe, Kaeya, Chongyun, Diona, Ayaka, Rosaria
    Electro: Fischl, Lisa, Miko, Kujou, Raiden, Razor

7+ Year Old Account
    I really hope for a sort of Paladin/Crusader/Knight type.

How is cleric a support class? i can just be a holy caster class without having to be about supporting others. How are paladins not a support class when they have full on auras?
    Cooler fantasy is up to debate.

I'm just saying they could go the route of a more caster oriented Holy class instead of the paladin and the crusader. And the cleric could be just that. Cleric is all about using holy magic to empower yourself and you equipment to better fight evil. Holy shield, Holy might, Smite etc. They can clearly go in both melee or more caster ways.

I just think going Paladin would feel like a remake of Diablo 2 instead of creating something new yet somewhat familiar with a Cleric.
    The Cleric, Priest, or Bishop is a character class in Dungeons & Dragons and other fantasy role-playing games. The cleric is a healer, usually a priest and a holy warrior, originally modeled on or inspired by the Military Orders.

The Paladin is a holy knight, crusading in the name of good and order, and is a divine spell caster. By definition and game restriction, Paladins are always of the 'Lawful Good' alignment in D&D 1st–3rd editions.

Paladin also has precedence in the Diablo universe, while being essentially the same class as Cleric. It'd be like calling the Barbarian class 'Berserker' just cuz.

Support isn't auras, support is "doing more to help others than to be the one doing the actual fighting" - auras are passive. Or would you call D3 Crusaders & Monks support?

Finally, you say D2 remake as if that means it'd be LESS likely to happen, while in reality the entire game is pretty obviously a "D2 remake, with lessons learned from D3 and some PoE and other RPGs sprinkled in" - Paladin being in D2 makes it more likely, not less.

10+ Year Old Account
    The cleric in DnD is not a priest, it's a holy warrior. Sure it can heal but there is a lot of spells/abilities that make him a really strong fighter. And D4 isn't DnD, the devs can make something totally different even if it has the same name. David Brevik even said their Cleric concept class that was supposed to be in the 2nd xpac of Diablo 2 wouldn't necessarily have healing spells.

D4 is surely making a lot of references to D2, it's still it's own game. And i'm pretty sure the devs want to make their own thing and not just make a copy of somebody else's work.

If they introduce paladins in D4, players will expect to have a copy of what it is in D2. Creating a new class (like they did in D3 with the crusader) would open up a lot of options to make a Cleric class more unique while still having strong links to the paladin/crusader.

I know a lot of players expect D4 to be somewhat of a remake to D2. But i just think the devs would pass a good opportunity to make something new and unique.

I'm not against Paladins, it was my preferred class in D2, but i don't want D4 to just be a copy of D2, i'd welcome a bit of new stuff in the classes.

10+ Year Old Account
    I'm hoping for Crusader/Paladin. Either name works.

10+ Year Old Account
    Probably paladin and necromancer.
    Originally Posted by Blizzard Entertainment
    Crabs have been removed from the game... because if I see another one I’m just going to totally lose it. *sobbing* I’m sorry, I just can’t right now... I just... OK just give me a minute, I’ll be OK..

Thinking what we got and what could happen. Not sure of probabilities, though. This thought so that we might see better what playstyles are there potentially and could possibly give sign that some classes wont be on release.

We got:
    Barbarian - Heavy melee - Could have shield spec?
    Sorcerer - Spell caster - Could they have summoning spec? Hydras and other stuff?
    Druid - Shapeshifter/pets/spell caster? - ??

What we might get.
    Necromancer - Spell caster/Summoner - It feels like sorcerer would already POTENTIALLY have these roles already, but necromancer is classic class from d2. If sorcerer doesnt get summoning, as in pet spec, we might still have druid pet spec. Necromancer starts to feel unlikely, but not ruled out.
    Paladin - Melee shield user / holy magic / healing stuff - I'm almost certain there will be a shield role somewhere. Barbarian could handle it, but paladin remains option.
    Amazon - Ranged bow user / spears? - We will be having non magic ranged role, I think. I'm almost certain amazon with possibly different name will be around.
    Assassin - We dont exactly have a rogue role. I'm thinking the class that will use bows, might have a melee spec and fulfills this role.

These are what I'm thinking will be at release AT THIS MOMENT:
    Barbarian
    Sorcerer
    Druid
    Bow role/rogue role... ranger? Wasnt this the class name in d1.
    Paladin for sword and board role, if barbarian doesnt handle that role.

Quote Originally Posted by Morae View Post
    Thinking what we got and what could happen. Not sure of probabilities, though. This thought so that we might see better what playstyles are there potentially and could possibly give sign that some classes wont be on release.

We got:
    Barbarian - Heavy melee - Could have shield spec?
    Sorcerer - Spell caster - Could they have summoning spec? Hydras and other stuff?
    Druid - Shapeshifter/pets/spell caster? - ??

What we might get.
    Necromancer - Spell caster/Summoner - It feels like sorcerer would already POTENTIALLY have these roles already, but necromancer is classic class from d2. If sorcerer doesnt get summoning, as in pet spec, we might still have druid pet spec. Necromancer starts to feel unlikely, but not ruled out.
    Paladin - Melee shield user / holy magic / healing stuff - I'm almost certain there will be a shield role somewhere. Barbarian could handle it, but paladin remains option.
    Amazon - Ranged bow user / spears? - We will be having non magic ranged role, I think. I'm almost certain amazon with possibly different name will be around.
    Assassin - We dont exactly have a rogue role. I'm thinking the class that will use bows, might have a melee spec and fulfills this role.

Barbarian
    Sorcerer
    Druid
    Almost certain that barbs will not be able to equip shields. It's called the Arsenal system and has slots for 2 two handers and 2 one handers. Also looking over some screengrabs of the talents, I did ot see anything related to a shield, unless I missed it. But then this is also very early and things might change.

So I do believe we will get a shield class. I doubt t it will be non magical as in a Warrior so Insay Paladin/Crusader is coming back despite my previous beliefs of the order disbanding when Heaven closed the gates.

A non magical ranged will be in as well. To round out the classes. Could it be Amazon, surenifnthey want to break or add to lore for makes. It could be Demon Hunter or a new ranged class altogether.

With the callbacks to and inspiration from D2 it will be Paladin, Amazon, or Necromancer.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Morae View Post
    Barbarian
    Sorcerer
    Druid
    I'm 99% sure at this point, that Barb will NOT be able not use a shield. For me, this almost guarentees that we'll be getting a shield based class, as one of the two as yet unrevealed classes.

The question then becomes: WILL they go with the old standard, and have Paladin/Crusader OR, will they mix things up a little.

See, there are two other roles, that need to be filled: Physical ranged damage, and Summoner.

What if you could have a class that was both shield based AND a physical ranged Dps?

I present:

The Spartan! (or similar name)

They'd use a spear and shield, and their two available trees would be based around either their ranged spear throwing abilities, or around close range shield based combat. Given how the talent trees seem to be shaping up, it seems they're all for giving us options, and then letting us focus on the playstyle that suits us best. Something like this could absolutely work.
    Check out the blog I write for LEGENDARY Indie Label Flicknife Records:

Blog Thirty is live! In which we discuss our latest releases, and our great new line of T-shirts.
    https://www.flickniferecords.co.uk/blog/item/30-blog-30

I have a feeling there will be at least one completely new class. And given the dark tone I think a cool idea would be to have some kind of ex-cultist, using all sorts of dark magic.

Of the two classes yet to be revealed one has to be agility-based. And I doubt they'll include Paladin or Crusader because this is meant to be a dark and grim game where the light has abadoned the world. Blizzard want it dark, so I don't think a holy class fits into that experience.
    Last edited by Netherspark; 2019-11-06 at 05:11 PM.

The more I think about it, the more I think we'll see the return of Crusader rather than Paladin. Considering the story for DIV will take place in what is basically the Crusaders' Homeland, and that the Paladin order was corrupted by Mephisto, I'm not sure Paladin will return.

That said, there's no reason Blizz couldn't use Paladin anyway, despite or especially because of this corruption. It's even possible they'll create another character class based on the Paladin's corruption, like Templar (as an incredibly zealous holy order), or like a Dark Avenger / Paladin.

Quote Originally Posted by Absintheminded View Post
    The more I think about it, the more I think we'll see the return of Crusader rather than Paladin. Considering the story for DIV will take place in what is basically the Crusaders' Homeland, and that the Paladin order was corrupted by Mephisto, I'm not sure Paladin will return.

That said, there's no reason Blizz couldn't use Paladin anyway, despite or especially because of this corruption. It's even possible they'll create another character class based on the Paladin's corruption, like Templar (as an incredibly zealous holy order), or like a Dark Avenger / Paladin.
    The guy who leaked it a few days before on the Diablo reddit says Amazon and paladin as the two remaining classes. Things can always change but as they are trying to evoke that early Diablo nostalgia it makes sense.