Page 1 of 2
LastLast

AMD Athlon 3000G

This thing is amazing and just wanted to post here so people are aware of its existence.
    https://www.amd.com/en/products/apu/amd-athlon-3000g

2c/4t cpu with 3 graphics cores running at 1000mhz for 50 bucks, but thats not all its unlocked for overclocking.

For 50 bucks this is the perfect CPU for running WoW classic, given the testing i did on my really slow athlon 5350 from a few years ago this new 3000g should be able to easily hit 60 fps at 1080p in classic at medium details. The cooler that comes in the box is rated for 65w and the chip is only 35w design so the overclock headroom should be plenty, if your cpu is capable of 4ghz the cooler should handle it.

Edit: Word on the street is nov 19th launch date.
    Last edited by Fascinate; 2019-11-08 at 01:44 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    I mean, it's the "Zen 2" version of the 240GE effectively. Just better naming. Personally even on a super budget system I think I'd rather splurge the extra $40 on a 3200G and get literally 2.5x the GPU power and more CPU power.
    Gaming: Dual Intel Pentium III Coppermine @ 1400mhz + Blue Orb | Asus CUV266-D | GeForce 2 Ti + ZF700-Cu | 1024mb Crucial PC-133 | Whistler Build 2267
    Media: Dual Intel Drake Xeon @ 600mhz | Intel Marlinspike MS440GX | Matrox G440 | 1024mb Crucial PC-133 @ 166mhz | Windows 2000 Pro

IT'S ALWAYS BEEN WANKERSHIM | Did you mean: Fhqwhgads
    "Three days on a tree. Hardly enough time for a prelude. When it came to visiting agony, the Romans were hobbyists." -Mab

chazus already answered the most part.

It has no reason to exist and its literal /care.

Any serious gaming PC below 8 cores shouldnt be bought, any budget gaming PC below 6 cores shouldnt be bought in 2020 basically since its ~2 months away more specifically talking Zen 2 and up but you get the point.

Buying anything 2 core in 2020 is also a huge nono, even for budget office PCs

But hey, big name companies can scam tons of people and other companies getting office PCs in bulk so, oh well.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by potis View Post
    chazus already answered the most part.

It has no reason to exist and its literal /care.

Any serious gaming PC below 8 cores shouldnt be bought, any budget gaming PC below 6 cores shouldnt be bought in 2020 basically since its ~2 months away more specifically talking Zen 2 and up but you get the point.

Buying anything 2 core in 2020 is also a huge nono, even for budget office PCs

But hey, big name companies can scam tons of people and other companies getting office PCs in bulk so, oh well.
    It has a reason to exist. It's super cheap. If you literally just need something to browse the internet and write word documents, this chip will do that. That said, if you do literally anything but those 2, it's silly and a waste.

You would have to be pretty short sighted to think this has no reason to exist, anyways not going to get into it with regulars on here lol.

Bottom line is its 50 bucks for a chip that will be able to run tons of lower end games, and is basically the perfect htpc chip. On top of all that its a great starting point for a kid wanting to build their first PC and tinker with it, not only is the multiplier unlocked so is the ram and graphics cores. To me this chip is more exciting than threadripper lol.

- - - Updated - - -

Quick example of what 300 bucks could get you (placeholder 240ge)
    https://pcpartpicker.com/list/

This would play Wow classic just as good as a 1000 dollar+ PC, lots of people in my guild on classic built a PC just for Wow classic and spent wayyy too much lol.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Fascinate View Post
    You would have to be pretty short sighted to think this has no reason to exist, anyways not going to get into it with regulars on here lol.

Bottom line is its 50 bucks for a chip that will be able to run tons of lower end games, and is basically the perfect htpc chip. On top of all that its a great starting point for a kid wanting to build their first PC and tinker with it, not only is the multiplier unlocked so is the ram and graphics cores. To me this chip is more exciting than threadripper lol.

- - - Updated - - -

Quick example of what 300 bucks could get you (placeholder 240ge)
    https://pcpartpicker.com/list/

This would play Wow classic just as good as a 1000 dollar+ PC, lots of people in my guild on classic built a PC just for Wow classic and spent wayyy too much lol.
    You sent an empty list.

And I wouldn't say as well as, but it'll be pretty close depending on how the IPC works out in it

Quote Originally Posted by Temp name View Post
    You sent an empty list.

And I wouldn't say as well as, but it'll be pretty close depending on how the IPC works out in it
    Oh in cpu bound scenarios sure a 5ghz intel will of course play better, but the vast majority of scenarios in classic would play similarly on a 300 dollar rig as it would on a monster PC.

And i lost the list whoops lol. If you wanted to spend a bit more you could get one of those tiny antec cases with a vesa mount and plop it right on the back of a monitor, if you are just into WoW classic (which many people are) that would be a slick setup on the cheap.

15+ Year Old Account
    I don't see the appeal to go super cheap on the most important part of the computer.
    Quote Originally Posted by derpkitteh View Post
    i've said i'd like to have one of those bad dragon dildos shaped like a horse, because the shape is nicer than human.
    i was talking about horse cock again, told him to look at your sig.

Quote Originally Posted by chazus View Post
    I mean, it's the "Zen 2" version of the 240GE effectively. Just better naming. Personally even on a super budget system I think I'd rather splurge the extra $40 on a 3200G and get literally 2.5x the GPU power and more CPU power.
    It's not even Zen 2, its original 14nm Zen, confirmed by amd marketing guy at https://youtu.be/NRSUYBjlBXw?t=4072

it's pretty amazing if you're building a PC for your parents or something. My parents have a CPU that doesn't even need a fan because its power consumption is really low.
    ...that's just my opinion, anyway.

All of this cosmological stuff is too boring for me. I'd like to get Warcraft back, please. my thing is killing defias and orcs.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Puupi View Post
    I don't see the appeal to go super cheap on the most important part of the computer.
    Because some people don't need a lot of power. If you're literally just browsing the internet, you could probably get away with a single-core chip if they were still made

10+ Year Old Account
    would also be pretty good for a media server. Those only require loads of storage and a proper ethernet connection.

Because some people don't need a lot of power. If you're literally just browsing the internet, you could probably get away with a single-core chip if they were still made
    Inactive Wow Player Raider.IO | Inactive D3 Player | Permanent Retired EVE Player | Inactive Wot Player | Retired Openraid Raid Leader| Inactive Overwatch Player | Inactive HotS player | Youtube / Twitter | Steam | My Setup

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Saphyron View Post
    would also be pretty good for a media server. Those only require loads of storage and a proper ethernet connection.
    Yeah as long as you don't need to transcode the media as well

try using PALIT 1050 TI

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Shauren View Post
    It's not even Zen 2, its original 14nm Zen, confirmed by amd marketing guy at https://youtu.be/NRSUYBjlBXw?t=4072
    Huh. I did not know that all of the "G" versions are using older tech.

The 3rd Gen G's are using 2nd Gen fab 12nm, and the 2nd gen (2400G, 240G) are using 1st gen fab 14nm. That's... a bit oddly misleading, honestly.
    Gaming: Dual Intel Pentium III Coppermine @ 1400mhz + Blue Orb | Asus CUV266-D | GeForce 2 Ti + ZF700-Cu | 1024mb Crucial PC-133 | Whistler Build 2267
    Media: Dual Intel Drake Xeon @ 600mhz | Intel Marlinspike MS440GX | Matrox G440 | 1024mb Crucial PC-133 @ 166mhz | Windows 2000 Pro

IT'S ALWAYS BEEN WANKERSHIM | Did you mean: Fhqwhgads
    "Three days on a tree. Hardly enough time for a prelude. When it came to visiting agony, the Romans were hobbyists." -Mab

10+ Year Old Account
    That's debatable. Some people don't need that kind of power, and just need something working. $50 CPU + $60 motherboard+$50 RAM = one cheap PC. It won't be a heavy duty gaming PC, and I'd imagine Borderlands 3 wouldn't work, or work well on it, but it'll do like 99% of everything else.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Vash The Stampede View Post
    That's debatable. Some people don't need that kind of power, and just need something working. $50 CPU + $60 motherboard+$50 RAM = one cheap PC. It won't be a heavy duty gaming PC, and I'd imagine Borderlands 3 wouldn't work, or work well on it, but it'll do like 99% of everything else.
    The accessories aren't free though. Case, hdd, power, mouse, keyboard, display etc. It all adds up. So going all out cheap on the most important part is just not something I would do. :S
    i've said i'd like to have one of those bad dragon dildos shaped like a horse, because the shape is nicer than human.
    i was talking about horse cock again, told him to look at your sig.

10+ Year Old Account
    The accessories aren't free though. Case, hdd, power, mouse, keyboard, display etc. It all adds up. So going all out cheap on the most important part is just not something I would do. :S
    Case 30$
    HDD 25$
    shitty PSU 30$
    mouse keyboard combo 15$

Display is the only one that aint cheap.
    But you can easily get a 1080p monitor for less than 80$

EDIT:
    Pcpartpicker does not have the 3000g yet so I took an older Athlon CPU around same price.
    Everything included monitor comes out to 299$ and this CPU is 8$ more expensive than the 3000g
    https://pcpartpicker.com/list/6Wgyk6
    Last edited by Saphyron; 2019-11-11 at 07:05 PM.
    Inactive Wow Player Raider.IO | Inactive D3 Player | Permanent Retired EVE Player | Inactive Wot Player | Retired Openraid Raid Leader| Inactive Overwatch Player | Inactive HotS player | Youtube / Twitter | Steam | My Setup

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Saphyron View Post
    Case 30$
    HDD 25$
    shitty PSU 30$
    mouse keyboard combo 15$

Display is the only one that aint cheap.
    But you can easily get a 1080p monitor for less than 80$

EDIT:
    Pcpartpicker does not have the 3000g yet so I took an older Athlon CPU around same price.
    Everything included monitor comes out to 299$ and this CPU is 8$ more expensive than the 3000g
    https://pcpartpicker.com/list/6Wgyk6
    I find it extremely funny that you can get 320gb HDDs..
    And you even got a 1080p screen. I'm sure there are cheaper ones if you go below that

10+ Year Old Account
    I find it extremely funny that you can get 320gb HDDs..
    And you even got a 1080p screen. I'm sure there are cheaper ones if you go below that

most likely. but it was mainly to show you don't have to spend much to get a solid system.
    The Vega 3 will be able to play many games on 720p and a few older games on 1080p