Page 30 of 31 FirstFirst ...
LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    I mean Olympus, Eridanos and Typhon, I mean why have em if you can't go there. Unless they are just background art for world building or something
    Last edited by sinilaid; 2019-11-04 at 07:41 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by sinilaid View Post
    I mean Olympus, Eridanos and Typhon, I mean why have em if you can't go there. Unless they are just background art for world building or something
    Thats pretty much what they are.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by sinilaid View Post
    That's what they are. Two are uninhabited gas giants, the third is an uninhabitable iceball.

I'd imagine they were presented that way because A> they're still orbital bodies and you just don't have a navkey that directs you to a landing point, and B> there's room for expansions/DLC/sequels, and if they choose to base the sequel in Halcyon, they wouldn't have to redesign that whole system.

Quote Originally Posted by Temp name View Post
    .... How the fuck haven't they upped the amount of copies shipped yet?
    Beats me, We just got two copies in for PS4 (Wednesday) and that's all I have seen in a fucken week.

Like the game is seriously hard to find in my area.

Ill go after a copy after I finish Death Stranding, But holy fuck is this actually a pain to get ahold of physically.
    Check me out....Im └(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┐└(-.-)┐ Dancing, Im └(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┐└(-.-)┐ Dancing.
    My Gaming PC: MSI Trident 3 - i7-10700F - RTX 4060 8GB - 32GB DDR4 - 1TB M.2SSD

Quote Originally Posted by Endus View Post
    That's what they are. Two are uninhabited gas giants, the third is an uninhabitable iceball.

I'd imagine they were presented that way because A> they're still orbital bodies and you just don't have a navkey that directs you to a landing point, and B> there's room for expansions/DLC/sequels, and if they choose to base the sequel in Halcyon, they wouldn't have to redesign that whole system.
    I think they're most likely unused content. The game was supposed to be longer and send you there at some point, but the devs cut that content from lack of time/funds.

They could have just not shown these on the system map, if they weren't supposed to be relevant.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Sygmar View Post
    I think they're most likely unused content. The game was supposed to be longer and send you there at some point, but the devs cut that content from lack of time/funds.

They could have just not shown these on the system map, if they weren't supposed to be relevant.
    It actually makes way more sense for them to be there. The map shows a single solar system. Not every planet in a solar system is habitable. So having a couple gas giants and a frozen ball of ice fits perfectly.

Is a melee build viable down the line? Like as is the usual case the start will be not all that but as we level up does it become a fun viable build?

Quote Originally Posted by Tenjen View Post
    Is a melee build viable down the line? Like as is the usual case the start will be not all that but as we level up does it become a fun viable build?
    Dodge adds armor when using a melee weapon. You kill things pretty quick as well due to high scaling and the power attack.

That being said, things die quick anyways with guns with just 20 points in anyways. Up to you how you want to play.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Skizzit View Post
    It actually makes way more sense for them to be there. The map shows a single solar system. Not every planet in a solar system is habitable. So having a couple gas giants and a frozen ball of ice fits perfectly.
    It's a system map, not a navigational map, primarily. That's why locations exist on it whether or not you've got a navkey.

Remember, navkeys aren't for planets. They're for specific landing pads on planets. You don't get a "Monarch navkey". It's specifically a "Stellar Bay navkey". The planet being "grayed out" on the system display just means you don't have any known landing coordinates there.

10+ Year Old Account
    It's a system map, not a navigational map, primarily. That's why locations exist on it whether or not you've got a navkey.

Remember, navkeys aren't for planets. They're for specific landing pads on planets. You don't get a "Monarch navkey". It's specifically a "Stellar Bay navkey". The planet being "grayed out" on the system display just means you don't have any known landing coordinates there.
    Right exactly, the ships (at least the Unreliable) is an AI controlled ship. You don't fly it at all, you simple plug in where you want to go and ADA flies you there so fail-safes are built into the system to not land you someplace you shouldn't go be it a restricted area of a planet or a planet you would either flat out not be able to land on or one that would instantly kill you. They still are shown on the map because it is a map of the entire system.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Skizzit View Post
    Right exactly, the ships (at least the Unreliable) is an AI controlled ship. You don't fly it at all, you simple plug in where you want to go and ADA flies you there so fail-safes are built into the system to not land you someplace you shouldn't go be it a restricted area of a planet or a planet you would either flat out not be able to land on or one that would instantly kill you. They still are shown on the map because it is a map of the entire system.
    They actually make a point of saying you have no fucking idea how to actually fly the ship. ADA can do point-to-point travel calculations, but that's it. That's why you've got limited nav options to begin with.

They actually make a point of saying you have no fucking idea how to actually fly the ship. ADA can do point-to-point travel calculations, but that's it. That's why you've got limited nav options to begin with.
    speaking of ADA:
    i was disappointed that we didnt learn more about her. it is mentioned a couple of times by different people that she is very very special, and no one really knows how she works. after finishing the game with no more infos about her, i expect her to be a focal point of a dlc piece.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by lagiacrux View Post
    speaking of ADA:
    i was disappointed that we didnt learn more about her. it is mentioned a couple of times by different people that she is very very special, and no one really knows how she works. after finishing the game with no more infos about her, i expect her to be a focal point of a dlc piece.
    Hell, they might give her a robot body and make her a companion. They took enough inspiration from Mass Effect already, I can see it.

Quote Originally Posted by Tenjen View Post
    Melee is very viable. Just get yourself the most OP melee weapon in the game, The Chromatic Hammer, and you're set for end game.
    You get that weapon on the Groundbreaker by climbing on top of some boxes in the guard house.

I feel like, after playing and letting it sit a bit, that comparing TOW to Fallout is a mistake, in both directions. They're really not similar games, despite the aesthetic similarities.

Fallout, from 3 on at least, has been about densely-built massive open maps, with a lot of discoverable content tucked away in it. You need to explore to find quests, and a ton of locations exist that you'd never be sent to, unless you come across them and poke your nose in to see what's there.

TOW, on the other hand, has much smaller, more carefully-crafted maps, that serve to tell the specific story threads the game contains. There's a handful of pretty minor exploration-based rewards, but the game isn't actually about that; if you poke around in a set of buildings that have a marker "just cause", chances are you'll be coming back when you get the quest that directs you there. I cleared the entire Edgewater map before leaving, and kept coming back to re-clear locations after I'd left.

Frankly, it's more similar to Mass Effect than Fallout, in terms of game design principles.

I'm not saying this to crap on TOW, or Fallout; I love 'em both (and Mass Effect, for that matter). I just see people drawing the comparison to mock Bethesda (who deserve it, with that sub model for FO76, admittedly) and claim that TOW is doing Fallout "right". And it really isn't. It's a different subgenre, really. A story- and character-based RPG centered around story missions, as opposed to a setting-based RPG centered around exploration.

Heck, look at the companion missions. Most of them in TOW revolve around telling you more about the companion. Parvati learns to love, Max settles his crisis of faith, etc. They're very personal (in a good way). But they often don't tell you a ton about the setting. In Fallout, it's traditionally the other way around. They certainly are personal, but they're highly tied into how that character is tied into and affected by the setting, first and foremost.
    It's the level and story design of Mass Effect mashed with the systems and RPG design of Fallout New Vegas. Sure, it's not completely analogous to Bethesda's games, but in terms of core gameplay it's really close enough to be comparable. And the comparison is absolutely not in favor of any Bethesda-made game since Morrowind if you ask me.

Now personally I love Mass Effect and Fallout New Vegas is in my top 5 games of all time, so obviously the mix works very well indeed. I do think the companions aren't that memorable and the main story isn't the best, but the setting is great, the writing awesome, and the core gameplay works well even if it can be unbalanced. I'm having a grand old time.
    Last edited by Jastall; 2019-11-09 at 08:04 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Jastall View Post
    It's the level and story design of Mass Effect mashed with the systems and RPG design of Fallout New Vegas. Sure, it's not completely analogous to Bethesda's games, but in terms of core gameplay it's really close enough to be comparable. And the comparison is absolutely not in favor of any Bethesda-made game since Morrowind if you ask me.

Now personally I love Mass Effect and Fallout New Vegas is in my top 5 games of all time, so obviously the mix works very well indeed. I do think the companions aren't that memorable and the main story isn't the best, but the setting is great, the writing awesome, and the core gameplay works well even if it can be unbalanced. I'm having a grand old time.
    Also funny how one of the companion's quest chain is to collect stuff for her date with another woman, which even burns a hole in your pocket at a certain point.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Tech614 View Post
    Yea straight rushing the main story it's pretty easy to beat it in 8 hours or less even
    Way less than that, current speedruns are under 11 minutes.
    Oh, hi.

Quote Originally Posted by imabanana View Post
    Way less than that, current speedruns are under 11 minutes.
    Dude no one is talking about speed runs. No one is speedrunning the game on their first playthrough. We're talking a normal casual playthrough that just does the main story and watches the cut scenes and doesn't do ridiculous skip strats, I can't believe you even tried to come back with this counter.

10+ Year Old Account
    Got some free xbox game pass for PC, so am trying the game out..
    It's okay. I like the looks and the gameplay is decent, but I just cannot bring myself to care about the characters at all

It’s unplayable on Xbox One X. Capped at 30 FPS. It seemed interesting, but I got legit dizzy with that crappy frame rate and there is seemingly no way to change it. Ridiculous.