Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    I am Murloc!
    10+ Year Old Account
    Feels fairly alive to me, but our server had layering removed two weeks ago so that's likely the largest culprit.

What they reported, at least how it reads to me, is that it was incredibly popular during that quarterly release and that there is an active community still playing it. This isn't me being a doomsayer, but a lot of you clearly read the words of the released statement with 100% conviction that it fits your narrative completely. Without actual hard numbers you would be borderline retarded to assume anything regarding the health of classic.

What we do know is that it had a lot of hype and a lot of people subscribed for that quarter. What we don't know is how many people were subscribed prior to classic releasing, and what the numbers look like now. If live had say 3 million people playing it a month before classic, and 2.5 million people subscribed before that quarterly report, this still says nothing concrete about the two months after classic released. What we can assume is that retail subscription numbers are probably pretty static at this point (prior to classic, it was like 2 1/2 months into it's patch cycle, which is about a few weeks past the point that people taper off) and that any notable subscription loss at this point would be a result of people losing interest in classic (people certainly weren't subscribing in mass in middle to late August because of 8.2). All we know is that they stated it's well above pre-classic subscription numbers, and that's all we're ever going to know because they don't release exact numbers.

My numbers above are entirely made up, but assume that the 2.5 million I cited was true. From that you would have to guess what "well above" would mean using said number.

I like classic a lot, I really do, but the fanaticism from select individuals here and in-game is pretty retarded. It feels like some people aren't bound in reality, and you're easily the worst part of the community (again, whether it's here or in-game). You see what you want to see though.

Quote Originally Posted by anon5123 View Post
    Look at what you're discussing, m8.

"the largest sub increase in franchise history"

And how do we know this is millions of players? Because the PREVIOUS largest sub increase was 2.5 million, back during WoD's launch.

So, if this is "the largest sub increase in franchise history" as Ion said, then it must be larger than 2.5 million, which was the previous record.

Try using your brain before you go off insulting people and spamming emojis

It is absolutely hilarious that you're really non-ironically using WoD as an example. LOL.

If you think that 'WoD bump' in subscribers stuck around longer than a month, it really isn't a stretch to believe that you think there's still millions playing classic.
    Last edited by perkocet; 2019-11-10 at 05:59 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by arkanon View Post
    Unlike this thread, classic will remain, and do fine.

Th forum is absolutely dead, the game is going fine.

Well, going by this forum, its definitely not as popular as many would lead you to believe, and many, MANY people are leaving. This isnt an issue, but its certainly a fact.
    What a silly thing to say with absolutely NOTHING to support it from a numbers perspective.

Quote Originally Posted by Schattenlied View Post
    Activision Blizzard Earnings Call's quarterly report says it drove the largest sub increase in franchise history and remains well above pre-classic levels of subscribers, and Ion at Blizzcon said it has millions of players, that was a few days ago.
    He said millions came back,and yeah its fair to say millions played it for atleast a few days,but statisticaly looking at realms and the lack of ques now,its not very posible for milions to still be playing

It has way less people than even a month ago. Phase 1 is just content barren, majority are on their alt or 2nd alt at this point.

Quote Originally Posted by Zuvio View Post
    What a silly thing to say with absolutely NOTHING to support it from a numbers perspective.
    Im not claiming to know any numbers. Other than the forum being dead. Next to no one viewing, same few threads every couple of days, nothing really to discuss.

Well, going by this forum, its definitely not as popular as many would lead you to believe, and many, MANY people are leaving. This isnt an issue, but its certainly a fact.
    Judging continued interest in Classic by forum activity is anecdotal at best. In fact, common sense would suggest that there's very little to discuss in regards to Classic, now that it's been released, because you know it's a fairly faithful re-creation of a 15 year old game that nearly every possible aspect of has been discussed to death in thousands of posts over the years and everything is already known about it and, surprise, surprise has no new content.

With Blizzard sticking to their guns on #no changes the only real subject left to discuss is Classic + vs. TBC / Wrath servers and even that has been discussed to death. You might see a bit of a cyclical uptick in forum activity correlating to Phase rollouts.

But besides that the only people starting new threads in regards to Classic are, apparently, butt hurt Retail fanboys that just can't let go of the fact that Classic has been a fantastic success (and it could have no subs tomorrow and still be considered a success) and can't seemingly get it through their thick skulls that the success of Classic has re-engerized the entire WoW franchise and increased Blizzard's profit which will generate more interest in and provide Blizzard with more financial resources to continue developing and, hopefully, improving Retail.

The haters can go ahead and continue to wallow in their swallow immaturity if they wish but the success of Classic is a boon for the version of the game they prefer. Failure to recognize that and/or wishing for Classic's demise is not only petty but contrary to the hater's own self-interest.
    Last edited by Sensa1; 2019-11-10 at 06:16 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Unlike this thread, classic will remain, and do fine.

Th forum is absolutely dead, the game is going fine.

- - - Updated - - -

- - - Updated - - -

This forum died because it's being plagued by a brigade of retail players that have made it their mission to "educate" everyone else about how wrong they are for not liking retail better.

There's far more productive places on the internet than this for people who actually wants to discuss the content in Classic, rather than engage with those sorts of posters.

Im not claiming to know any numbers. Other than the forum being dead. Next to no one viewing, same few threads every couple of days, nothing really to discuss.
    Why the hell do you then previously say PEOPLE are absolutely leaving, forums is the worst possible metric to predict population, twitch is actually better. (And thats not even Good)

90% of streams are classic so that means if wow retail have 500k subs then classic have like 3m

Which sounds pretty solid.

- - - Updated - - -

See How many full realms there are + all the layered ones, its absolutely bigger than retail and that have like 1m max so classic maybe 2-3m.

Quote Originally Posted by Felrane View Post
    Not silly when Ion said so himself and the Q3 report said so as well.
    Ion didn't say what you said he said.
    Quote Originally Posted by Nizah View Post
    why so mad bro

Elemental Lord
    7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Exhuman View Post
    I keep reading that everywhere.

Can classic players confirm or deny?
    I hit 60 and haven't really logged back in

Also arkanon

So are you going to post numbers and practice what you preach?

Dead? No. Dying, yes.

I would say 80% of my guild went there for 2 months, ppl raided a fair bit, grinded the epic mount and such so pushed pretty decent time-spent. Now all but ONE split and most are actually playing other games now (i.e. not coming back to BFA either), ppl are at D3, PS4 games and whatnot. So talking to most of ppl I know, Classic is fading out pretty fast, BFA is even more dead as ppl didnt come back but doing other things. Conclusion, Classic killed WoW!

Tbh, Classic is fun for a while but for most people it will definitely lose it charm fast. BFA is dead due to lack of content unless you are in a guild working for your Cutting achievement. The whole WoW is on standby atm, 8.3 will save BFA a bit but will probably last 2-3 months until HC is cleared by the majority of raiding guilds and then we just have to sit and wait out Shadowlands and whatever things they plan on resurrecting Classic with (TBC?)...

But hey, Death Stranding, Jedi Fallen Order and the insane backlog of Stream games available! It's safe to say, we'll be fine until something happens in the WoWs!

I do not think Classic is dead. I do believe the initial rush of people to come back and play has now past and the servers are finally settling down with stable populations of those (myself included) who are here for the long haul.

To interpret what Ion and the Q3 earnings call said with Classic brought back millions of players, yes I believe it did, however, we are unable to confirm if those millions are still playing the game. I would assume not as quite a few of the servers across all the regions no longer have layers. Further backed up by the fact that my server, Shazzrah EU, which if I am right is either the biggest or second biggest in the EU region only ever sees a queue of about 30 minutes max now compared to 8+ hours in the initial weeks / month from launch.
    Back to your bridge, you evil Troll!

Tell that to my server, we still have 2 layers and yesterday we had a Siege of Orgrimmar, could barely do anything because of the lag caused by the amount of people (On both sides)

It was glorious

Quote Originally Posted by Exhuman View Post
    I keep reading that everywhere.

Can classic players confirm or deny?
    Everywhere? Give 3 examples of what you've seen then. I bet you can't.

no but BFA is

what a ghost town lmao

Why the F should you or any of us even give a flying shit about it? Where does this obsession of having a game to be dead come from? I sometimes play pretty old games(older than wow) and are they dead? is it not allowe to play "dead" games?

Where does this need, this urge to have wow dead?

Classic WoW is the biggest scam that any one company has perpetrated and mindless dummy droves can’t even see it. It makes me sick to my stomach when I realize i’m associated with “gamers” because of my hobby.

In one breath, gamers “rise up” against predatory monetization tactics, poor quality products and rehashes. Then then flock to Pay for fucking Classic WoW, a game over 15 years old.

And honestly, the game wasn’t even that good. Broken raids. Broken leveling. Broken quests. Broken story. Broken specs.

But here we are.

Fuck my life.