Page 1 of 2
LastLast
    15+ Year Old Account

Do you Instant Pot?

I've been a big user of crockpots over the years. As a kid my mom would put stuff in the crockpot for dinner when she got home from work in the morning for us to have for dinner after she woke up. As an adult I found the simplicity of putting stuff in a crockpot for dinner and just letting it do its thing while I went about the rest of my day. When the Instant Pot hit I was curious about using one but couldn't talk myself into spending $100-150 to get one. After my crockpot committed suicide a few weeks ago (it slid off the flat counter and onto the tile floor when there's no real reason it should have slid off lol) I was torn between replacing the crockpot or getting an Instant Pot. I had talked myself in earlier this year into getting an Instant Pot on Black Friday because I knew there would be deals for one all over the place. Well this last weekend I was at a public auction and they had almost 20 Instant Pots up for bid and I ended up scoring an 8 quart for only $35. Since then I have used it twice and have fallen in love with how much better it is than a crockpot.

Tonight I'm making this mock Italian Hero pasta for dinner. It uses pancetta (or thick cut prosciutto or bacon if you can't find pancetta), sliced onions, dry salami, pepperoni, 8oz of Italian dressing, 1/2 cup heavy cream, a jar of roasted red peppers, hearty pasta, and finally Boursin. I decided to add a small can of sliced olives, sliced mushrooms, and a jar of marinated artichoke hearts since I couldn't find the roasted red peppers. It is cooking right now but it smells wonderful. Can't wait to try it. So do any of you (or your wives/girlfriends/moms/etc) use an Instant Pot? What are some of your favorite recipes?

7+ Year Old Account
    The instant stuff doesn't give me as much a high as the natural organic stuff.
    Last edited by Citizen T; 2019-11-10 at 04:30 PM. Reason: Infracted for trolling

10+ Year Old Account
    I love to cook, SO hates to cook. I got an instant pot last year. SO spends hours on the interwebs looking up recipes to make. That they make. "I hate cooking" makes a goddamn potato soup in the instant pot, and it's better than my mothers.
    Quote Originally Posted by Crissi View Post
    Quit using other posters as levels of crazy. That is not ok

If you look, you can see the straw man walking a red herring up a slippery slope coming to join this conversation.

I instant pot before a boss pull, sure. What of it?
    Last edited by Citizen T; 2019-11-10 at 04:31 PM. Reason: Infracted for trolling

15+ Year Old Account
    i've been looking into buying a ninja foodie seem like a neat kitchen gadget
    Well then get your shit together.
    Get it all together. And put it in a backpack. All your shit. So it’s together. And if you gotta take it somewhere, take it somewhere, you know, take it to the shit store and sell it, or put it in a shit museum, I don’t care what you do, you just gotta get it together.
    Get your shit together

I've got one. Let's me cook stuff decently that I would never normally cook just because I don't like to wait. Short ribs, oxtails, etc.. Watch Flo Lum on YouTube if you want to see an expert in action.

10+ Year Old Account
    I do a lot of crock, but have never done instant pot. I mean, does it do basically the same thing but...faster?
    Human progress isn't measured by industry. It's measured by the value you place on a life.

Just, be kind.

I use it to make stocks and quick braises. I just used mine yesterday to make a Moroccan lamb stew that would've probably taken 3 hours in a conventional oven.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Sunseeker View Post
    I do a lot of crock, but have never done instant pot. I mean, does it do basically the same thing but...faster?
    The big difference is that an instant pot is programmable, pressurized, and usually have sear/sautee functions in them.

I'd use it for a lot more than I'd use a crock pot. Those don't do anything that a conventional oven does better or faster, unless you want to hold food warm for 15+ people at a party or something.

Was going to crack a light joke but seems mods are a bit tight today.
    The wise wolf who's pride is her wisdom isn't so sharp as drunk.

Quote Originally Posted by kail View Post
    It's just one mod, Thwart. More tight arsed than Endus. That takes actual commitment to do. Loathsome buzzkill.

I don’t use crock pots of any type. I have thought about it but a lot of my recipes are not for crockpot. There is one Indian dish “achari” that has a crockpot version but I’ve yet to make it.

- - - Updated - - -

I’m honestly confused. Are we not allowed to make jokes about anything? I’ve seen many topics with many light hearted jokes.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by gaymer77 View Post
    I've been a big user of crockpots over the years. As a kid my mom would put stuff in the crockpot for dinner when she got home from work in the morning for us to have for dinner after she woke up. As an adult I found the simplicity of putting stuff in a crockpot for dinner and just letting it do its thing while I went about the rest of my day. When the Instant Pot hit I was curious about using one but couldn't talk myself into spending $100-150 to get one. After my crockpot committed suicide a few weeks ago (it slid off the flat counter and onto the tile floor when there's no real reason it should have slid off lol) I was torn between replacing the crockpot or getting an Instant Pot. I had talked myself in earlier this year into getting an Instant Pot on Black Friday because I knew there would be deals for one all over the place. Well this last weekend I was at a public auction and they had almost 20 Instant Pots up for bid and I ended up scoring an 8 quart for only $35. Since then I have used it twice and have fallen in love with how much better it is than a crockpot.

Tonight I'm making this mock Italian Hero pasta for dinner. It uses pancetta (or thick cut prosciutto or bacon if you can't find pancetta), sliced onions, dry salami, pepperoni, 8oz of Italian dressing, 1/2 cup heavy cream, a jar of roasted red peppers, hearty pasta, and finally Boursin. I decided to add a small can of sliced olives, sliced mushrooms, and a jar of marinated artichoke hearts since I couldn't find the roasted red peppers. It is cooking right now but it smells wonderful. Can't wait to try it. So do any of you (or your wives/girlfriends/moms/etc) use an Instant Pot? What are some of your favorite recipes?
    Naw, not used a Instant Pot yet. I don't have room for one yet. Though, I am loving my crockpot.
    FOMO: "Fear Of Missing Out", also commonly known as people with a mental issue of managing time and activities, many expecting others to fit into their schedule so they don't miss out on things to come. If FOMO becomes a problem for you, do seek help, it can be a very unhealthy lifestyle..

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Winter Blossom View Post
    No, but I need to.
    I would suggest doing it. If you use a crockpot or like not having to slave away over the stove for hours some times then it will save you a headache. I got mine just last weekend and I've already used it 3 times now.

Quote Originally Posted by EliWallach View Post
    I've got one. Let's me cook stuff decently that I would never normally cook just because I don't like to wait. Short ribs, oxtails, etc.. Watch Flo Lum on YouTube if you want to see an expert in action.
    Some times I would do the short ribs in my crockpot but I might have to try it in this now. I'll have to check out Flo Lum some time.

Quote Originally Posted by Sunseeker View Post
    It does more than a crockpot but yes the time saving is its biggest draw. The pasta I made last night took 10 minutes start to finish to make and didn't require draining it at all. I ended up putting too much liquid in it because it was my first time doing pasta in one so I was uncertain the ratios. The vegetable beef stew I made a few days ago was in for 1 hour and the meat was so tender it was nearly falling apart. I should have only put it in for 20-30 minutes though from what I'm reading online. In a crockpot it would have taken about 8 hours to make. In addition to cooking, you can "bake" in one or even can stuff like a traditional pressure cooker.

Quote Originally Posted by Cinnamilk View Post
    The big difference is that an instant pot is programmable, pressurized, and usually have sear/sautee functions in them.

I'd use it for a lot more than I'd use a crock pot. Those don't do anything that a conventional oven does better or faster, unless you want to hold food warm for 15+ people at a party or something.
    I used the saute function on my last night. I'm totally in agreement that now that an IP has been invented a crockpot is more of a heating unit for pot lucks and family gatherings lol

Quote Originally Posted by Cinnamilk View Post

Doesn't crockpot have an equivalent (express model)?

Quote Originally Posted by freezion View Post
    Doesn't crockpot have an equivalent (express model)?
    They do, but usually when I hear "Crock Pot," I just translate that to countertop slow cooker, regardless of whether or not the brand is Crock Pot.

Likewise, when I hear "Instant Pot," I just translate that to programmable pressure cooker. I don't have a brand-name Instant Pot, I have a Mealthy Pot but I'm sure not going to call it that.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by gaymer77 View Post
    I used the saute function on my last night. I'm totally in agreement that now that an IP has been invented a crockpot is more of a heating unit for pot lucks and family gatherings lol
    The one thing I kind of wish is that the sautee function on mine could get hotter for proper sears. I actually took my inner pot out last night to sear the meat over a gas flame for some nice fond, then took the meat out and put the pan back in the outer pot to sweat some aromatics. Still, it's a pretty nice appliance, and it makes me feel safer than using an old manual pressure cooker on the stove lol.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by kail View Post
    Dont forget, joking is not allowed, but veiled trolling is.
    PROUD TRUMP SUPPORTER, #2024Trump #MAGA
    PROUD TRUMP CAMPAIGN SUPPORTER #SaveEuropeWithTrump
    PROUD SUPPORTER OF THE WALL
    BLUE LIVES MATTER
    NO TO ALL GUNCONTROL OR BACKGROUND CHECKS IN EUROPE
    /s

I've had one for a few years. I'm always in search of (plant-based) 'dump & go' recipes because I hate cooking. Unfortunately, a lot of IP recipes I've found require some pre-cooking, usually in the form of sauteeing vegetables before pressure cooking which also means food prep too, bah! :P

This is probably my favorite recipe, it's true 'dump & go'. I've made it several times and it always comes out good. Wish I could find more like this that weren't soups or chilis. I've had mixed luck with pasta. Not being able to monitor it inside the pot runs the risk of it over or undercooking, I've had a few ruined meals that way.

https://blog.fatfreevegan.com/2016/0...able-soup.html
    "We must now recognize that the greatest threat of freedom for us all is if we go back to eating ourselves out from within." - John Anderson

Quote Originally Posted by Lane View Post
    I've had one for a few years. I'm always in search of (plant-based) 'dump & go' recipes because I hate cooking. Unfortunately, a lot of IP recipes I've found require some pre-cooking, usually in the form of sauteeing vegetables before pressure cooking which also means food prep too, bah! :P
    Dump-and-go is just boiling/simmering though. Nobody likes raw boiled onion. Taking 3 minutes to sautee your aromatics makes a world of difference in flavor for such a short investment of your time.

I've always found it hard to understand people that eat-to-live though. When my brother in law went vegan I gave him some tips for cooking shoujin ryouri style vegan Japanese food that has maybe 5 minutes of prep and no more than 30 minutes of wait time, and he still just gets by on french fries and PB&J, or just opening a can of beans and eating out of that.

I'm veering a little off-topic, but I like to look at pressure cooking as a tool to get quality food out of things that take 3+ hours in a quarter to a third of the time, rather than a machine to just throw everything in and stop caring about what I'm cooking. The thought of eating food that's blander than it has to be is a little depressing honestly.

First of all, wow that mod is on an ego rampage with those infractions holy fuck. Go ahead and infract me for calling it out you coward lol.

Anyways, Instant Pots are great. My girlfriend introduced me to them and while they have some serious design flaws that I think everyone should be aware of (they’re prone to breaking after only short periods of use, especially if their rubber gaskets twist during cooking) they’re a great appliance to have.

[Infraction]
    Last edited by Rozz; 2019-11-12 at 02:43 PM. Reason: Forbidden Topics: Mod Discussion

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by therealstegblob View Post
    First of all, wow that mod is on an ego rampage with those infractions holy fuck. Go ahead and infract me for calling it out you coward lol.
    Que?

/10chars
    Quote Originally Posted by derpkitteh View Post
    i've said i'd like to have one of those bad dragon dildos shaped like a horse, because the shape is nicer than human.
    Quote Originally Posted by derpkitteh View Post
    i was talking about horse cock again, told him to look at your sig.