Page 1 of 5
... LastLast

As someone who has never understood the appeal of Classic....

...I really don't understand all the folk asking for a "Classic+". Or those asking to add certain, specific features from retail to Classic. Isn't the entire point of Classic to play the game exactly as it once was, blemishes and all?

Despite the fact that I was one of the people who would roll their eyes at the folk who would act like Vanilla WoW was some sort of Holy Grail of Gaming (and still do), I did actually resubscribe briefly to give Classic a honest shot. I didn't have a decent enough computer and/or internet connection when Vanilla first came out, so I was genuinely curious about what the game was like way back then. I created a couple characters, but ultimately never made it out of any of the starting areas; I missed the amenities and QoL additions of more modern MMOs too much. So, you know what I did?

I shrugged. I logged off. I uninstalled the game, unsubscribed, and went on with my life. I certainly didn't take to any forum, demanding that Blizzard change the game in any way to make it more palatable to me. Obviously, Classic just isn't for me.

Likewise, I can't help wondering if all of the people screaming about changing or adding things to Classic need to realize that maybe Classic never was for them, either. I mean, I've seen threads where people list things like better graphics, transmog, new/more races, etc. and I have to wonder: at what point does the game stop being "Classic"? What exactly makes it "Classic" for you, then? Just the original quests and zones, I guess?

And if there are other things about Classic that you like, but still find yourself wishing for most of the modern ammenities of Retail, maybe instead of attempting to get Blizzard to change Classic into something it never was, ask Blizzard to add some of those things from Classic back into Retail?

It just boggles my mind that some people didn't really stop to think about what they were actually asking for when they joined the chant for Classic. I can't help wonder if a lot of them are younger players who never played Vanilla WoW, and only really want to play because all their older friends and the more popular streamers are doing it.
    "Go back...I just want to go back...!"

I'm enjoying classic and absolutely do not want a classic+.

Primarily because I don't trust modern Blizzard to do anything right.

Bring on TBC servers afterward though.

Quote Originally Posted by Nitros14 View Post

well it wouldnt be ''modern'',they would stick with classic-like aditions

I for one would prefer a tbc release later on, but Classis + just symbolizes a better game really I think. Before titanforged, before flying, before pretty homogenized classes (because in all honesty, there isnt a lot of flavor in retail right now).

Classic definitely misses the QoL changes that we got later on, but it has a lot more class diversity and rpg going on, as well as gear being pretty important to your character instead of just going out and for example doing some dailies for epics. I think at the end Classic+ just symbolizes WoW before it got to be some sort of Diable emulator and was its own thing.

Quote Originally Posted by RadasNoir View Post
    ...I really don't understand all the folk asking for a "Classic+". Or those asking to add certain, specific features from retail to Classic. Isn't the entire point of Classic to play the game exactly as it once was, blemishes and all?

Despite the fact that I was one of the people who would roll their eyes at the folk who would act like Vanilla WoW was some sort of Holy Grail of Gaming (and still do), I did actually resubscribe briefly to give Classic a honest shot. I didn't have a decent enough computer and/or internet connection when Vanilla first came out, so I was genuinely curious about what the game was like way back then. I created a couple characters, but ultimately never made it out of any of the starting areas; I missed the amenities and QoL additions of more modern MMOs too much. So, you know what I did?

I shrugged. I logged off. I uninstalled the game, unsubscribed, and went on with my life. I certainly didn't take to any forum, demanding that Blizzard change the game in any way to make it more palatable to me. Obviously, Classic just isn't for me.

Likewise, I can't help wondering if all of the people screaming about changing or adding things to Classic need to realize that maybe Classic never was for them, either. I mean, I've seen threads where people list things like better graphics, transmog, new/more races, etc. and I have to wonder: at what point does the game stop being "Classic"? What exactly makes it "Classic" for you, then? Just the original quests and zones, I guess?

And if there are other things about Classic that you like, but still find yourself wishing for most of the modern ammenities of Retail, maybe instead of attempting to get Blizzard to change Classic into something it never was, ask Blizzard to add some of those things from Classic back into Retail?

It just boggles my mind that some people didn't really stop to think about what they were actually asking for when they joined the chant for Classic. I can't help wonder if a lot of them are younger players who never played Vanilla WoW, and only really want to play because all their older friends and the more popular streamers are doing it.
    It's because I think.

What a large amount of people actualy want is modern wow with alot of the design elements we lacked that got removed / changed, adding back in.

Such as talent trees. E.t.c

I Personaly think At the moment both retail and classic are a dissatisfiying 2nd best for a lot of people and which one you play from talking to a bunch of people seems to be based on what heuristic value you place on specific features and which version has the most of those features.

But that's me making an educated guess based on my gamer groups and what they say.

Classic+ is TBC and I doubt they could ever do a better claasic+ than TBC.

I understand if they want a retail version wth classic atmosphere. I hope they remove LFG and just merge a bunch of realms. Bring back attunments so you HAVE to do content X first before moving on to Y and Z. Ofcourse I understand not everyone wants this, hence I'd say give players the freedom of choice what version they want.

Quote Originally Posted by Monster Hunter View Post
    It's because I think.

What a large amount of people actualy want is modern wow with alot of the design elements we lacked that got removed / changed, adding back in.

Such as talent trees. E.t.c

I Personaly think At the moment both retail and classic are a dissatisfiying 2nd best for a lot of people and which one you play from talking to a bunch of people seems to be based on what heuristic value you place on specific features and which version has the most of those features.

But that's me making an educated guess based on my gamer groups and what they say.
    This is exactly it, some people like classic , others like bfa. But a large portion of the playerbase got hooked on wow during some of the other expansions and would probably like something more than classic but less than bfa.

7+ Year Old Account
    All that moves is easily heard in the void.
    It just boggles my mind that some people don't understand that everything isn't black and white. I can't help wonder if a lot of them are simply naive who never stopped to think through the various conditions between the two extremes, and only really want to have an unrealistic but simplistic interpretation of the world around them.

As someone who realistically understood what Vanilla offered, I continue to greatly enjoy Classic. Could some things be improved? Certainly...and for me that was BC (which IMHO was the best state of the game).

But I can appreciate that there are people who aren't purist Vanilla and who aren't purist Retail. I recognize that you actually have a spectrum of players involved. Some fall more squarely on Retail but allow for a few or even a good number of things in Classic that they like. Some fall more squarely on Classic but allow for a few or even a good number of things in Retail that they like. In other words, there aren't just 2 groups here, but easily dozens each with their preferences and ideas for what constitutes a great game.

10+ Year Old Account

exactly this
    WoD was crap, BFA is Crap, and Shadowlands feature made me hate the idea of login in first place
    One of things i miss in classic that won't exist when they role tbc is elite mobs at dungeons or hard world quests (I mean actual world quests, not this worse than daily rip off) like the gong quests in Hinterlands
    The beginning of wisdom is the statement 'I do not know.' The person who cannot make that statement is one who will never learn anything. And I have prided myself on my ability to learn
    Thrall
    http://youtu.be/x3ejO7Nssj8 7:20+ "Alliance remaining super power", clearly blizz favor horde too much, that they made alliance the super power

Some people want Blizzard to start over with classic as a base. They want graphic updates, balance updates etc., but removed everything that makes the gameplay streamlined and remove accessibility to content through LFG/LFR etc. WoW should only reward the most dedicated players, etc.
    Mother pus bucket!

Then people will want Wrath servers... and Cata servers.. so on and so on. It needs to stop somewhere. To the people that will say "it just needs to stop after BC" that is YOUR opinion, so you want it to stop at the Xpac YOU want and screw what the other people want.

This is the current mentality in wow.

We cant move forward living in the past. The whole Retail/VS classic thing is like the people getting angry at Best Buy for no longer selling music CDs, or getting angry at phone companies for not having a headphone jack. There is a reason we don't all ride around in horse-drawn buggies anymore as our primary mode of transportation. The world is evolving and some people are going to get left behind.

i guess its not only about an authentic Gameplay but its about the old Game philosophy.
    The highest player rate was at WOTLK... so till then almost everything was fine, but after wrath players start to unsub.
    So imo Classic player want play till wrath and stay there XD

5+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Moozart View Post
    Then people will want Wrath servers... and Cata servers.. so on and so on. It needs to stop somewhere. To the people that will say "it just needs to stop after BC" that is YOUR opinion, so you want it to stop at the Xpac YOU want and screw what the other people want.

We cant move forward living in the past. The whole Retail/VS classic thing is like the people getting angry at Best Buy for no longer selling music CDs, or getting angry at phone companies for not having a headphone jack. There is a reason we don't all ride around in horse-drawn buggies anymore as our primary mode of transportation. The world is evolving and some people are going to get left behind.
    What's wrong with that?

If enough people want further expansions and Blizzard see a net-profit in doing so, why not do it? It's literally capitalism 101. Free market.
    “Listen... Strange women lying in ponds distributing swords is no basis for a system of government. Supreme executive power derives from a mandate from the masses, not from some farcical aquatic ceremony.” – Dennis

Then people will want Wrath servers... and Cata servers.. so on and so on. It needs to stop somewhere.
    Never thought there are people who want Cata servers lol
    Shadowlands is real world
    The Maw is China
    The Jailer is China government
    Sylvanas is Blizz

If they wanted a WoW that pleases everyone, they'd give us a server we can run at home. Everything being an option from dungeon queues to levelling speed.

But unless you're a big streamer, you're going to be on your own. Which is kind of not what people normally want from an MMO.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by iosdeveloper View Post
    Never thought there are people who want Cata servers lol
    There are people who rank Cataclysm as their favorite expansion, and there are more of them than you would probably think.
    Appreciate your time with friends and family while they're here. Don't wait until they're gone to tell them what they mean to you.

Why does it need to stop somewhere?

If people want to pay for it I say make servers for every expansion.

If classic can fill up 40 servers I'm reasonably confident Warlords of Draenor can fill up one server.

So much crap in the very few lines you've written...

Of course people will want TBC, WotLK, etc. It's normal because it makes them feel nostalgic, and it's what they would enjoy playing. I for example, would love to see a WotLK server. Retro servers are an absolute win-win. Blizz gets to pack some extra subs while having to design zero new content, while the people get to play what they want and enjoy. Why would this need any kind of stopping at any given point???

This doesn't mean people are moving forward while living in the past. It simply means they enjoy a good old flavor. According to your logic, it's not ok for people to like listening to retro music? Or watch old movies? Or drive a retro car?

The world is evolving, you're right, and there is indeed a big problem with mental degradation. But the reason for that is not a person's taste towards 'modern' or 'retro' enjoyment.

10+ Year Old Account

The people who want (and aren't getting) Classic+ weren't the target audience for Classic in the first place and thus, aren't worth listening to. At best they're asking for modern WoW quality-of-life stuff like AOE looting and HD models - at worst they're demanding actual new 'old' content that never existed, thus spiraling WoW Classic into some weird new alternate timeline bullshit.

Thankfully, remarks Blizzard made at Blizzcon 2019 illustrate that they're not interested in that stuff (for instance they shot down bringing HD models over).
    Appreciate your time with friends and family while they're here. Don't wait until they're gone to tell them what they mean to you.