Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst
    Quote Originally Posted by Eugenik View Post
    I started on 2, on dreamcast and I didnt feel like I lost any enjoyment from not playing 1. I understand thats hard to say with any certainty considering I didnt play 1, but essentially Im saying, I enjoyed 2 without playing 1.
    1 is basically a prologue tbh. 1 and 2 where actually meant to be a single game when the game first started development but 1 was shipped by itself because it had to be as the dreamcast needed something to compete with the PS2. They do a lot to pad out 1 with the forced working at the harbor and waiting for X time on X days because of how small in scope it is to 2.

2 is definitely more vital to 3. 1 can basically be summed up as "Ryo's dad was killed, he wanted revenge and found a way to get to china to get it" where as there is loads of lore dumps in Shenmue 2 that can't be summed up so easily. The last 2-3 hours of Shenmue 2 are also you meeting Shenhua and learning about her and she is gonna be your main companion in 3 which starts in the cave right at the ending of 2.

Quote Originally Posted by Tech614 View Post
    1 is basically a prologue tbh. 1 and 2 where actually meant to be a single game when the game first started development but 1 was shipped by itself because it had to be as the dreamcast needed something to compete with the PS2. They do a lot to pad out 1 with the forced working at the harbor and waiting for X time on X days because of how small in scope it is to 2.

2 is definitely more vital to 3. 1 can basically be summed up as "Ryo's dad was killed, he wanted revenge and found a way to get to china to get it" where as there is loads of lore dumps in Shenmue 2 that can't be summed up so easily. The last 2-3 hours of Shenmue 2 are also you meeting Shenhua and learning about her and she is gonna be your main companion in 3 which starts in the cave right at the ending of 2.
    I see /10chars

It was great 18 years ago.
    Now it is outdated.

The complexity is no match for games like GTA, Witcher 3, Xenosage.
    The story clearly can be put into one game.

I watched youtube.
    Shenmue 3 is just like Shenmue 1 and 2, which is expected. Nothing wrong with it.
    However, with today's technology, it should have more.

Shenmue 4 should finish the whole story, which I doubt it.
    Last edited by xenogear3; 2019-11-18 at 11:48 PM.

Have they at least gotten the voice actors to be...a little less stiff?

Legendary!
    15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Dead Moose Fandango View Post
    Oh yea, isn't that the asshole who had the gofund me or whatever talk about not being exclusive then at a con announce "Sorry folks, epic store exclusive for a year!" bullshit?

And 3 has half the bullshit quicktime events 2 had, I'll just rent, not wasting money to buy.
    Yep, then refused to refund those who demanded it. Only when Epic agreed to pay for the refunds themselves were people actually compensated.

Have they at least gotten the voice actors to be...a little less stiff?
    The English actor is the same guy. Same voice after 18 years. I am impressed.
    I actually prefer that way.

If you don't like it, just switch the language to Japanese.

As for the epic game store complainers, just buy the PS4 version.
    Sony "helped" to make this game possible, what did steam do?
    If you are a truly Shenmue fan, buy a PS4 if you don't have one yet.
    Last edited by xenogear3; 2019-11-18 at 11:58 PM.

Legendary!
    15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Tech614 View Post
    Nobody cares, this isn't a thread about your store front drama.

My backed copies will arrive tomorrow, game is looking far better then I hoped for when it was announced as a KS game all those years back.
    A shit-ton of people care, this isn't a thread about your fanboy issues.

Quote Originally Posted by xenogear3 View Post
    The English actor is the same guy. Same voice after 18 years. I am impressed.
    I actually prefer that way.

If you don't like it, just switch the language to Japanese.
    That's awsome. He just can be...y'know..less wooden.

Quote Originally Posted by thilicen View Post
    A shit-ton of people care, this isn't a thread about your fanboy issues.
    No, actually no one that is a legit fan of shenmue gives a shit about epic store drama when they're about to get the game they have been waiting 18 years to play. So before you accuse someone of being a fanboy check yourself since you're stanning for valve over a game you could give a shit less about.

Check shenmuedojo and look at how many people give a flying crap about it. No one does, and it's old, dead, beaten horse. But people on other forums who want to magically pretend like they care about shenmue now are outraged over months old news? Okay dude.

- - - Updated - - -

That's awsome. He just can be...y'know..less wooden.
    It's actually funny because he is surrounded by much better voice actors this time around and you have ole Cory out here sounding like old Ryu still. Gonna play in JP anyways though.

10+ Year Old Account
    I still need to play through the first two again, and then decide if I want to buy Death Stranding or this.
    10850k (10c 20t) @ all-core 5GHz @ 1.250v | EVGA 3080 FTW3 Ultra Gaming | 32GB DDR4 3200 | 1TB M.2 OS/Game SSD | 4TB 7200RPM Game HDD | 10TB 7200 RPM Storage HDD | ViewSonic XG2703-GS - 27" IPS 1440p 165Hz Native G-Sync | HP Reverb G2 VR Headset

Quote Originally Posted by MrPaladinGuy View Post
    I still need to play through the first two again, and then decide if I want to buy Death Stranding or this.
    IMO, it totally depends on your state of spirit atm.
    Both games are "boring"...yet i like both games.

Shenmue IMO is less boring than Death Stranding.

To understand the cult following of Shenmue, you must first understand the setting of when it was released.
    There were little to no "open world" games at the time.
    The graphics were amazing at the time.
    It was refreshing, immersive and new.

Shenmue today DOESNT have the appeal of back then.

Quite honestly...Shenmue might aswell be a Hideo Kojima game...because its just a "graphical adventure movie of martial arts"

I happen to be born in the era of Shenmue...so is my favorite game of all time

graphics look so odd

Got the Day 1 release edition...with extra downloadable goodies im so happy

The day has come...after a 18 year wait (T_T)