Page 12 of 18 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Hunterwep View Post
    Because during vanilla you did not know the grind would be made obsolete the next major patch three month later. Or about an increased level cap destroying all your progress.

I'll give you an example, I have had friends of mine spamming mythic dungeons for days on end to farm Artifact Power.
    I quit for a few month, come back, loot one token and guess what, I catched up with them.
    THAT is why endless grind now is a waste of your time.
    You're right, in Legion you don't have to grind unless you want to raid in an ambitious mythic guild. But apparently that concept is an evil grinding treadmill whereas Classic and its forced grinds for everything approach is the promised land.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Leperix View Post
    This is a very important and fundamental change in the game design. In vanilla you advanced your character while the world stayed still, today the world advances at a set pace while you stay still.

In vanilla it felt like every step you took advanced you in a real way and made a difference. You knew that the step had to be made in order to get to the next step. Today you know that when the next patch hits you will be move ahead into it. You will play in the latest patch content and wear the latest patch gear, regardless of what you did in the previous patches.

This is one of the main reasons why I have no interest in the current game. It just feel completely pointless to do anything because nothing you do has any impact on your long term progress.
    I find the opposite to be true. A stagnant game is dull. I like the world to evolve as I do things and even evolve on its own. I like it to always provide me with endless progression just like life. To me that's one of the points of an mmo not just to be start and end rpg with outher people in the back ground

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by JohnnyMccrum View Post
    Lot's of people feel blizzard are degrading the MMO genre nowadays, which is why they all stopped playing.
    Amusingly enough, WoW remains one of the most succesful and played MMOs. Even if WoW fell to, say, 2 million player mark, which I highly doubt, it's still a number most MMOs on the market nowadays can only dream of, and only a handful ever reached. WoW changed, but if it became such a cesspool as you imply, the game would have been torn to shreds years ago, given that the MMO market nears saturation. Considering that, as you imply, WoW is nowadays a catastrophic failiure, combined with a subscription model on top of a buy cost (unlike a buy to play model with additional cosmetic purchases, akin to GW2 or TESO), it would be a prime target to be picked apart by competition.
    None of the competition went as far as to offer a viable alternative that would be close to Vanilla WoW, despite, as you imply, it being capable to steamroll WoW and become instant massive success.
    Please, do explain why.

A sequel isn't what players want, either. they're still incredibly attached to their characters, these people want everyone to be trapped on modern WoW with no alternative as it devalues their characters.
    Might I inquire the source for the information?

To be honest, the game back then was 5 gigs and it ran incredibly well, much, much better than Modern WoW, modern WoW has an additional 30-something gigs and runs far slower.
    Again, please, provide source for the information. If it is just an anecdote, I can counter with being able to run current WoW and GW2 at the top settings at the very same time with little trouble or problems from either game, while being able to switch back and forth with only a very short downtime.

Modern WoW reduces downtime, yes, so did modern runescape, sometimes the frustration of achieving something makes your achievement feel far better. vanilla was a rough diamond plagued with problems, but everything had frustrations, and frustrations made things fun and worthwhile. This is why all vanilla players fight against pay2win and devaluing hard tasks.
    Few people play a game to wait. Mind you, this isn't about instant gratification. If it was, I wouldn't spend three hours a day farming Argus and two hours on top of that doing PvP. This is about not having to stay put alongside several other people at a spot where a flower might spawn, so you can make a flask in order to be useful in a raid.

The goal of vanilla isn't really a job, it's a world. you need to spend a lot of time, you need to establish yourself, you start with nothing.
    You start with nothing in current WoW as well. Mind you, I do not talk about alts, but a fresh new game. Even when it comes to alts, you do have the option to simply not use heirlooms and level at your own pace. Besides that, levelling at Vanilla's rate, when it is about reaching lvl110 is not viable - imagine if instead of taking 2 months to level a max character, you had to go for it for FOUR months (110/60 is nearly two, just to point out).
    And finally, you could still mail your alt gold and crafted gear, or given to it via a friend, so you didn't have to always start with nothing even in Vanilla, when it wasn't your first character.

I'd argue things like cutscenes and phasing often ruin the feel of zones forever. sometimes you just want to chill in mulgore, not be in a battle between the quilboar and the tauren. The movie-esque action and excitement curves are what vanilla lacks, and that makes it a comfortable chilled out experience with difficulty everywhere, which feels great.
    That is subjective. That being said, if you preffer it that way, good for you (and I mean that), you will get that back.

the core gameplay is not the same, you can level to 13 and solo rfc on a level 13 in modern wow in under 10 minutes spamming one key, on vanilla it takes you two days to reach level 13 and then it takes you around 30 minutes with a skilled group to clear rfc with a group of 5 who are all making sure they're prepared and have their bars and skills bought and set up correctly, making sure they have water for mana, making sure they have food for their pets, ammunition for their bows, thinking these two are equal is delusional at best.
    Please, provide a source where this is done without heirlooms. If you point out that heirlooms are the problem, you can always not use them. Considering that being high power at lower level is apparently the problem, not using them is the answer.
    On top of that, longer dungeon duration can be problematic, as it isn't just people with heaps of time that play MMOs. I remember The Nexus taking over an hour to finish, and I actually did quite like the instance. I also do remember BRD for three hours, which definitelly wasn't worth repeating. And Maraudon runs that fell apart midway, because two of the trade-chat-made party simply didn't have two hours to spend finding their way around in a non-max-level zone, or help others find their way once someone fell down to the crocolisk boss, died and had to run the entire instance again.

I agree, let's push the genre forwards, let's let modern WoW die and go back to the golden era of WoW and start from there.
    My apologies, but it sounds like you wish the way other people are having fun went away and they had fun your way. Retail WoW isn't dying, just because it has fewer players than WotLK had at its peak. If it was, then I would like to inquire where all the people I see on Argus are coming from, and how come I can form a 40 man group in a minute to do an invasion point.
    WoW was a miracle when it came out, because it was the casual MMO. If you expect Classic to be an instant miracle all over again, you are in for a disappointement.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by tripconn View Post
    I find the opposite to be true. A stagnant game is dull.
    I'm not sure we are talking about the same thing.

I like it to always provide me with endless progression just like life.
    And I feel like the modern WoW provides no progression at all. Sure the scenery changes, and you're forced into the new scenery, but to me it does not feel like progression, just endless, pointless change. It's the complete opposite of real life, where your actions progress you forward—if you want to get anywhere in life you cannot just sit at home and wait for the world to bring you a new patch.

Quote Originally Posted by Willhouse View Post
    Chill,wow classic is gonna last 2 months top once ppl see how horrid it was,theres gonna be 10k ppl online across all classic realms within 2 months.Meanwhile i'm preparing my "i told you so.." speech XD
    cya then ;]

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Hunterwep View Post
    Because during vanilla you did not know the grind would be made obsolete the next major patch three month later. Or about an increased level cap destroying all your progress.

I'll give you an example, I have had friends of mine spamming mythic dungeons for days on end to farm Artifact Power.
    I quit for a few month, come back, loot one token and guess what, I catched up with them.
    THAT is why endless grind now is a waste of your time.
    But that was the case for every raid after bwl. You had to kill Ragnaros for the t2, but beyond that and trying to farm legendaries, there was no reason to go back.

When you moved into AQ, you were done with MC and mostly BWL. Blizz did try to give reasons to go back (Rags dropping t2, needing elementium for epic weapons in aq and legendaries across the board).

The AP grind is supplemental unless you're a.mythic raider. I play WoW because I enjoy it. I PvP, raid, mythic dungeon and wq because the game is entertaining.

So I don't feel this burn out on the grind like I've seen many, including yourself explain.

Then again, I didn't have issue with the grind in Vanilla because I do, legitimately, enjoy that sort if playstyle.

I just don't see how the grind are any different, save for what you're grinding.
    Personal Preference and Opinions ≠ Facts, Truth, or Logic

Chill,wow classic is gonna last 2 months top once ppl see how horrid it was,theres gonna be 10k ppl online across all classic realms within 2 months.Meanwhile i'm preparing my "i told you so.." speech XD
    where's the speech baby

10+ Year Old Account
    Quoting for lols as well

Game is thriving.

top 10 predictions that never came true

Quote Originally Posted by Kul Tiras View Post
    Instead of focusing on evolving the MMO genre by trying to improve WoW and maybe make a sequel, they're hiring grade A talent to work on code from over a decade ago for a game that was in a piss poor state compared to the systems it offers today just so it can serve as a fan service to a couple thousand people who can't admit that WoW hasn't changed at all in terms of gameplay since pre-BC, it's simply received tons more options to do the same things by reducing the pointless downtime and grind required for every single task, turning the game into a literal second job. Not to mention the improved graphics, phasing and other story telling elements. However, the core gameplay is 100% the same.

This is like bringing back Warcraft 1 multiplayer because a couple of retards think that selecting only 6 units at a time and very limited strategies are what the RTS genre is all about.

What a fucking waste. Just leave it open source for those aptly named "nostalrius" fags and put this quality and ambitious talent to pushing the MMO genre FORWARD not fucking backwards.
    I mean i played on p servers, i refuse to believe there is much A list talent in control of the project. If they had just given all the info to the p server community I'm 100% sure they would be better emulations given the same design goals (like 1.12 on everything, not how p servers did it)

Certainly they don't have the budget/mandate to actually make the game anything more than barely passable

This post really held up. Wheres the speech?

Quote Originally Posted by Oomkinboomkin View Post
    where's the speech baby
    Well, the OP was right though. It's a waste and most servers in the EU at least are more or less dead.
    There are a few left that still get players but as was said from the start: It's a small gang of players. The only thing they managed to do here was split up the population and have two games with half as many players.

someone rezzed this 2 year old dusty beast.

Oh wow, this aged well.

Quote Originally Posted by Rochana View Post
    "yay we survived 2 months"

I've no clue whether Classic is thriving or not, some people are telling me it's a wasteland on many servers, others are telling me it's popping off, but either way seems a bit like a circle-jerk to try and mock someone because they made a 2 month prediction, at worst they might be a few months off...
    I predict it'll pick up during each phase, some ppl wanna pvp, bgs aren't in yet, some ppl wanna pve, most of the raid content isn't in yet. my guess is that by p4 there will be a surge of players who can easily gear up alts and run all bgs if they so please. as someone who mostly just raids this phase is really boring I could have easily waited for p4 and hopped in then and progressed with zg then to mc, then to bwl.

this phase is just bland, we need zg so we have a raid that can be run multiple times a week, and therefore have reasons to log in multiple times a week. I can't be bothered to do an alt until i smell phase 4 on the horizon. I don't mind casually boosting ppl through dungeons and farming tubers but it gets a bit stale after a while.

Signing up for a front seat to hear that insightful speech of yours.

Quote Originally Posted by Rochana View Post
    "yay we survived 2 months"

I've no clue whether Classic is thriving or not, some people are telling me it's a wasteland on many servers, others are telling me it's popping off, but either way seems a bit like a circle-jerk to try and mock someone because they made a 2 month prediction, at worst they might be a few months off...

Well considering I still face queues to log into my realm some nights, i'm gonna say your post about how it's gonna be dead in a few months will be laughed at equally around June time

Its funny to look back and see how wrong all those people were, classic has more players than bfa and its been more than 2 months

yikes. Nice prediction, homie

Quote Originally Posted by hans07 View Post
    Its funny to look back and see how wrong all those people were, classic has more players than bfa and its been more than 2 months
    The schadenfreude is rather lovely, especially after being told for years how it was just nostalgia, how people didn't really like it and it was just a loud handful of people, how people only played private servers because it was free and they'd never play for a sub.

Maybe people just actually like a beautiful MMORPG full of community, character progression and RPG elements. Who'd have thought it??