Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst
LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Axaion View Post
    lol, watch the rest of the link, read a review or two
    What part of "very small niche" and "very specific workloads" is hard for you to understand? In that particular workload it's the best CPU. In the rest it isn't. I stand by what I said

Quote Originally Posted by Thunderball View Post
    That depends. I would just go with a Z board just for memory OC and potential unlocked upgrade. Some people dont bother with it though.
    Given how the 9400f is locked and ram is a 3000MHz kit, it's not going to actually take advantage of the features. It's definitely something better for future upgrades, but this is the kind of situation where the machine lasts some years then gets completely replaced instead of being upgraded.

Anyway i'll snipe for black friday/cyber monday deals so iìll eventually get better stuff while staying in budget.
    Non ti fidar di me se il cuor ti manca.

Quote Originally Posted by Temp name View Post
    What part of "very small niche" and "very specific workloads" is hard for you to understand? In that particular workload it's the best CPU. In the rest it isn't. I stand by what I said
    Youre grasping at straws, mr sheckleman shillston, the third.

D

10+ Year Old Account
    Youre grasping at straws, mr sheckleman shillston, the third.

D
    At least I understand how the words "very," "small," and "niche" work together to create a coherent and true statement.

5+ Year Old Account
    Does Ryzen still have problems with matching up RAM sticks? I remember that was a nightmare for my 1800x.
    “I've noticed that everybody that is for abortion has already been born.”
    ― Ronald Regan

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Highelf View Post
    Does Ryzen still have problems with matching up RAM sticks? I remember that was a nightmare for my 1800x.
    It doesn't from what I've heard. Zen1 had an awful memory controller, Zen+ did too, but to a smaller extend. Zen2's memory controller is fantastic, haven't heard anyone with issues up until ~3800MHz outside of broken chips or truly awful mother boards

Herald of the Titans pansertjald's Avatar
    15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Schmilblick View Post
    Ryzen, don't bother with Intel anymore all those vulnerabilities.
    Wich will never EVER affect normal consumers EVER. No hacker will ever go through all that work, to hack a normal pc user
    AMD Ryzen 7 7800X3D: Gigabyte X670 Aorus Elite AX: G.Skill Trident Z5 Neo RGB DDR5-6000 C30 : PowerColor Radeon RX 7900 GRE Hellhound OC: CORSAIR HX850i: Samsung 960 EVO 250GB NVMe: fiio e10k: lian-li pc-o11 dynamic XL:

At least I understand how the words "very," "small," and "niche" work together to create a coherent and true statement.
    Nothing coherent about advising to buy a dead cpu on launch mate.

5+ Year Old Account
    It doesn't from what I've heard. Zen1 had an awful memory controller, Zen+ did too, but to a smaller extend. Zen2's memory controller is fantastic, haven't heard anyone with issues up until ~3800MHz outside of broken chips or truly awful mother boards
    So the 3900x should work great with the sticks I chose for my 1800x? Gskill Ripjaws V-series 32gb.
    “I've noticed that everybody that is for abortion has already been born.”
    ― Ronald Regan

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Highelf View Post
    So the 3900x should work great with the sticks I chose for my 1800x? Gskill Ripjaws V-series 32gb.
    Yeah, shouldn't give you any problems.
    Nothing coherent about advising to buy a dead cpu on launch mate.
    Absolutely is when it's the best at certain tasks. Unless you want to spend more money for less performance, which to me sounds stupid.

Quote Originally Posted by Coldkil View Post
    Hm, i can find an Asrock for around 85 and the tomahawk is 110 here. Again, i need to put everything in a file and see how much room i have with the budget.

EDIT: the Gaming MAX Plus comes cheaper and still supports high speed RAM, but i suppose it has worse VRM/power phases. Not that it's going to be overclocked so i don't think it's really an issue.
    Gamersnexus had a 3rd gen Ryzen MB video. Stealing the important part from someone else's TLDR:

Best B450 motherboards:

MSI B450I Gaming Plus

MSI B450 Tomahawk Max

MSI B450 Mortar Max

Cheap B450 motherboards that aren't totally garbage:

Gigabyte B450 Aorus Elite

MSI B450 Gaming Plus Max

Well, it could be worse dirt cheap board:

Gigabyte B450 Aorus M

Here is the video link:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JGY2mqTn2rc

- - - Updated - - -

Wrong. The 10980xe is the best for adobe premiere, by an okay margin (in some loads). It's also the best in SOME blender workloads if you overclock it. It has its place, it's just a very, VERY small case. If you want value, yes, a 9900k or 3950x will do better, but if you want the best, damned be the cost, then the 10980xe is what you go with for those use cases.
    Pugent systems have the new TR's above the 10980XE in Premiere:

https://www.pugetsystems.com/labs/ar...CPUPerformance

They are supposed to be the "authority" for benchmarking the adobe products but there is a $400 premium for the 3960X and much more for the big brother so there is definitely a market for the 10980XE if you are working on a limited budget.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Gray_Matter View Post

Pugent systems have the new TR's above the 10980XE in Premiere:

https://www.pugetsystems.com/labs/ar...CPUPerformance

They are supposed to be the "authority" for benchmarking the adobe products but there is a $400 premium for the 3960X and much more for the big brother so there is definitely a market for the 10980XE if you are working on a limited budget.
    In some workloads in premiere, the 10980xe is better, especially if you're willing to overclock (Which I don't think puget does). It also seems they abstract the data in some way, probably using a couple different tests, in which case, yeah, the TR3's will come out ahead.

In general, yes, the 3960/70x are better, but in a few very specific workloads in premiere (and blender) a 10980xe will still perform better, even if only slightly
    Last edited by Temp name; 2019-12-02 at 10:34 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Gray_Matter View Post
    Gamersnexus had a 3rd gen Ryzen MB video. Stealing the important part from someone else's TLDR:

Best B450 motherboards:

MSI B450I Gaming Plus

MSI B450 Tomahawk Max

MSI B450 Mortar Max

Cheap B450 motherboards that aren't totally garbage:

Gigabyte B450 Aorus Elite

MSI B450 Gaming Plus Max

Well, it could be worse dirt cheap board:

Gigabyte B450 Aorus M

Here is the video link:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JGY2mqTn2rc
    I wouldnt buy Gigabyte B450. All of them are hot piles of shit honestly, even though on paper they have all the needed functionality.
    R5 5600X | Thermalright Silver Arrow IB-E Extreme | MSI MAG B550 Tomahawk | 16GB Crucial Ballistix DDR4-3600/CL16 | MSI GTX 1070 Gaming X | Corsair RM650x | Cooler Master HAF X | Logitech G400s | DREVO Excalibur 84 | Kingston HyperX Cloud II | BenQ XL2411T + LG 24MK430H-B

10+ Year Old Account
    I wouldnt buy Gigabyte B450. All of them are hot piles of shit honestly, even though on paper they have all the needed functionality.
    They are on that list because they're in the "slap it together and it won't explode" category. Not because they'll handle a 3950x or whatever. Buildzoid is basically the motherboard guy on Youtube, I think I'll trust him on this.

That said, yeah, their BIOS is dogshit, but if you're buying a cheap-o B450, you won't visit the BIOS anyway, so who cares

10+ Year Old Account
    They are on that list because they're in the "slap it together and it won't explode" category. Not because they'll handle a 3950x or whatever. Buildzoid is basically the motherboard guy on Youtube, I think I'll trust him on this.

That said, yeah, their BIOS is dogshit, but if you're buying a cheap-o B450, you won't visit the BIOS anyway, so who cares
    The only issue I have with Buildzoid isn't actually with Buildzoid but rather that people tend to follow his recommendations to the letter. Buildzoid cares about VRM components+design and sometimes mentions if the likes the BIOS options or not, that's it. He doesn't care about other motherboard features at all, and that's fine considering his target audience is overclockers, but for normal users the VRM just basically has to be "good enough" where as other features like number of SATA and m.2 ports, audio connectors, networking options etc are more important.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Shakadam View Post
    The only issue I have with Buildzoid isn't actually with Buildzoid but rather that people tend to follow his recommendations to the letter. Buildzoid cares about VRM components+design and sometimes mentions if the likes the BIOS options or not, that's it. He doesn't care about other motherboard features at all, and that's fine considering his target audience is overclockers, but for normal users the VRM just basically has to be "good enough" where as other features like number of SATA and m.2 ports, audio connectors, networking options etc are more important.
    He also cares about USB ports. But yeah, other than that, his focus is on overclocking (as seen by his channel name..). My way of finding a board is to just look through and find the cheapest 2-5 with the features I want, and then check to see if he has videos talking about the boards. If he likes one, then I'll buy that, likes multiple I'll take the cheapest.

It's like most reviewers, you have to know what they look for in the product and then temper that with what you look for.

Buildzoid is in cooperation with them, and he apparently likes their BIOS. So I wouldnt trust his opinion on this, his opinion is based on liking the BIOS way too much which is pretty irrelevant for 95% of users.
    R5 5600X | Thermalright Silver Arrow IB-E Extreme | MSI MAG B550 Tomahawk | 16GB Crucial Ballistix DDR4-3600/CL16 | MSI GTX 1070 Gaming X | Corsair RM650x | Cooler Master HAF X | Logitech G400s | DREVO Excalibur 84 | Kingston HyperX Cloud II | BenQ XL2411T + LG 24MK430H-B

10+ Year Old Account
    i have a 8600k, a 9900k, a ryzen 2600 and 1700 and they all work great. Cant go wrong with any of them

10+ Year Old Account
    Buildzoid is in cooperation with them, and he apparently likes their BIOS. So I wouldnt trust his opinion on this, his opinion is based on liking the BIOS way too much which is pretty irrelevant for 95% of users.
    In that video he specifically says he dislikes their low-end BIOS, and finds it awful for new users. And again, he's basing his opinion on being an overclocker. Because that's really the only place where motherboard choices matter. If you just want something that works, then pick a cheap board with whatever features you want.

I got a nice deal on a TUF B450M - it's not a great mobo, but given the price i managed to get and the fact it just needs to work, i'm fine with it. Supports Ryzen 3rd generation (i have a 200GE if i need to update the bios) and ram up to 3466 which is more than fine for now.

I'll slap a 3600 on it and be done with it. Any good recommendations for a 450w psu and a GPU? I way eyeing the 1660 super which is kind of a middle ground that would perform well for the price.
    Non ti fidar di me se il cuor ti manca.