Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ...
LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Egomaniac View Post
    This is what you said:

All I said was that the original X-men were all in their teens. There were no older X-men until later.

Not really that drastic. At that time the X-Men were created mutation was explained as a relatively new thing...so most mutants were in their teens or twenties. Yes, there were a handful of older mutants like Xavier and Magneto...but the thinking at the time was that it was really kickstarted at the beginning of the Nuclear Age. Mutants existing for thousands of years was an idea that wasn't thought of until much later.
    "At the time"

It isnt the time its 2019 and its 60 something years after the invention of the x-men with 60 something years of history to draw upon. If its something the MCU does well its draw upon the entire history of characters.

"All I said was that the original X-men were all in their teens. There were no older X-men until later." Apart from Xavier and magneto and mastersmind (yes technically not xmen).

By brand new xmen I mean brand new not new versions of existing ones.

"Not really that drastic. At that time the X-Men were created mutation was explained as a relatively new thing...so most mutants were in their teens or twenties. Yes, there were a handful of older mutants like Xavier and Magneto...but the thinking at the time was that it was really kickstarted at the beginning of the Nuclear Age. Mutants existing for thousands of years was an idea that wasn't thought of until much later."

Everything you listed there already exists its not the first time round this time. This isnt at the time this is now.
    The MCU does not skimp on explaining brand new charters in their universe they usually give them at least 1 movie to their own and unless their xmen are created like ultimate xmen there is no backstory to any xmen if you go with the snap route.

Even if you went the snap route and you followed your route by going "at that time mentallity" you would just retroactively add history in which you cant because mutants were created at the snap were they not? Which in turn would make xmen much later.
    You literally cannot have any history of mutants prior to snap if you go this route which is silly.

Quote Originally Posted by maccajoe View Post
    This could certainly be a starting point. Problem being it wipes away the history of many x-men how the hell can logan be hundreds of years old? How can Magneto be persecuted for all those years.
    If you literally start the x gene at 2020 all the "older" xmen have zero history as mutants. No school, no thing.

You would basically just have to start with a brand new slate of xmen with them in thier teens. No older xmen at all.
    The narrative would absolutely have to change somewhat, no doubt. Marvel's hands are somewhat tied in that regard. But, to be fair, they changed the narrative on most of their current heroes as it is. So while we can't have a 100% faithful adaptation, it doesn't mean we cannot have a good one. I'd look at going one of two routes:

1) Mutants are all brand new. The story is basically the dawn of mutantkind. Prof. X is also brand new to being a mutant, but perhaps he is a rare case of being somebody older than the norm for becoming a mutant and therefore sees it as his responsibility to help the younger ones learn about themselves. The trickiest part of this iteration would be how to handle Wolverine. They could piggyback his story into a Captain America side piece where he is also a super soldier of sorts, and the mutant wave just happened to affect him as well. While this approach greatly changes the mutant and X-Men dynamic from the comics, it would give the MCU a very clean slate to approach the X-Men in a different way than the Fox movies did, which could be fresh.

2) Mutants were always among us, just very rare. Let's say that they were something like 1 in 100,000,000. This would let people like Prof. X, Magneto and Logan all be existing mutants within the world. Just to this point they have stayed relatively hidden. With the Thanos "snaps" happening though, the number of mutants in the world has suddenly skyrocketed. Let's say 1 in 1,000,000 or even 1 in 100,000. Xavier is now faced with a surge of mutants who have no idea how to control their powers and is in a unique position to step in and help. Magneto now sees an opportunity to change the world status quo in favour of a race he sees as superior. Logan has been around for a hundred and whatever odd years, and you can even have shots of him interacting with Steve Rogers in WW2.

Regardless, *some* changes are inevitable. But I do think that they can alter the narrative enough to make it fit without having to completely butcher the theme of the franchise.

10+ Year Old Account
    Again, they are using the multiverse concept for "What if...?"

And the real Mandarin is going to be in the Shang Chi movie

- - - Updated - - -

Sure...im just saying the original x-men were teenagers.

As for how things originally started...the MCU hasn't really followed the source material thus far...no reason why they should start now.

- - - Updated - - -

I wouldn't classify Beast as the X-man Peter is closest too... they've got some things in common but they don't really hang. He's probably closer to Logan than any of the others...sure, they've had their fights but Logan's got a soft spot for Pete.

https://imgur.com/gallery/KiW7W
    Hank & Peter have a lot more in common and have way better chemistry.

Quote Originally Posted by jellmoo View Post
    The narrative would absolutely have to change somewhat, no doubt. Marvel's hands are somewhat tied in that regard. But, to be fair, they changed the narrative on most of their current heroes as it is. So while we can't have a 100% faithful adaptation, it doesn't mean we cannot have a good one. I'd look at going one of two routes:

1) Mutants are all brand new. The story is basically the dawn of mutantkind. Prof. X is also brand new to being a mutant, but perhaps he is a rare case of being somebody older than the norm for becoming a mutant and therefore sees it as his responsibility to help the younger ones learn about themselves. The trickiest part of this iteration would be how to handle Wolverine. They could piggyback his story into a Captain America side piece where he is also a super soldier of sorts, and the mutant wave just happened to affect him as well. While this approach greatly changes the mutant and X-Men dynamic from the comics, it would give the MCU a very clean slate to approach the X-Men in a different way than the Fox movies did, which could be fresh.

2) Mutants were always among us, just very rare. Let's say that they were something like 1 in 100,000,000. This would let people like Prof. X, Magneto and Logan all be existing mutants within the world. Just to this point they have stayed relatively hidden. With the Thanos "snaps" happening though, the number of mutants in the world has suddenly skyrocketed. Let's say 1 in 1,000,000 or even 1 in 100,000. Xavier is now faced with a surge of mutants who have no idea how to control their powers and is in a unique position to step in and help. Magneto now sees an opportunity to change the world status quo in favour of a race he sees as superior. Logan has been around for a hundred and whatever odd years, and you can even have shots of him interacting with Steve Rogers in WW2.

Regardless, *some* changes are inevitable. But I do think that they can alter the narrative enough to make it fit without having to completely butcher the theme of the franchise.
    Certainly. The MCU has never been 100% faithful to any storyline/universe but what it does do is take things from the pool of comics and makes it, its own. Almost nothing from the MCU is not from some iterations of the characters somewhere.

Having all mutants start at the snap would be a huge change and not for a good one, IMO.
    If you are familiar with how mutants are in the ultimate universe i believe that would be a good scaffold (MCU uses alot of ultimate material anyway).

Basically mutants are not 100000s of years old but rather roughly like 100 years old. They were artificially created in attempt to replicate super solider serum (similar to hulk in the MCU).
    Logan was the first subject in this project. There is a long complicated storyline as to how the gene spread (basically like a virus to people who could host it). Then mummy and daddy mutants would pass it on to their children.

This way you could have Logan be older and Xavier and co be older as well because they were around and some of the earliest mutants when this happened sometime in between Captain American 1 and Infinity War. You could have the snap trigger something but a few mutants who already existed could be around rather than every single mutant starting at the snap.

10+ Year Old Account
    I wanna see Netflix's Punisher in the MCU first.

Quote Originally Posted by Selastan View Post
    I wanna see Netflix's Punisher in the MCU first.
    Hell yeah punisher is just badass. Loved when he crushed wolverine first shooting his kneecaps with a shotty then driving him over with a steamroller in the comics.

- - - Updated - - -

Pretty sure he destroyed the entire marvel universe in one too lol.
    Last edited by ParanoiD84; 2019-12-02 at 04:49 PM.
    Do you hear the voices too?

I feel like the X Men work better as their own thing than as a piece of the greater marvel universe anyway. Though I'm sure they'll be working on putting them into the MCU anyway, possibly with some big changes to the comic canon in the process.

Quote Originally Posted by ThatsOurEric View Post
    Hank & Peter have a lot more in common and have way better chemistry.
    They barely ever see each other. They probably would get along really well if they did...but they don't hang out.

Peter and Logan though:

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Clone View Post
    My reading comprehension is fine thank you. What you said is it can affect adults, it doesn't give them established history. They'd just be new mutants who are adults.
    New mutants that have had all the the life experiences necessary before becoming Mutants. Take Magneto for example. In the comics...he didn't develop his powers until long after he was out of the concentration camp. He doesn't need to have had his powers to have already known how cruel and oppressive humans can be towards those they consider "other". Xavier can work the same way...only, while he sees the potential for evil, he also sees the ability to do good. They don't need to have their powers to be forged into the people they become.

- - - Updated - - -

"At the time"

It isnt the time its 2019 and its 60 something years after the invention of the x-men with 60 something years of history to draw upon. If its something the MCU does well its draw upon the entire history of characters.

"All I said was that the original X-men were all in their teens. There were no older X-men until later." Apart from Xavier and magneto and mastersmind (yes technically not xmen).

By brand new xmen I mean brand new not new versions of existing ones.

"Not really that drastic. At that time the X-Men were created mutation was explained as a relatively new thing...so most mutants were in their teens or twenties. Yes, there were a handful of older mutants like Xavier and Magneto...but the thinking at the time was that it was really kickstarted at the beginning of the Nuclear Age. Mutants existing for thousands of years was an idea that wasn't thought of until much later."

Everything you listed there already exists its not the first time round this time. This isnt at the time this is now.
    The MCU does not skimp on explaining brand new charters in their universe they usually give them at least 1 movie to their own and unless their xmen are created like ultimate xmen there is no backstory to any xmen if you go with the snap route.

Even if you went the snap route and you followed your route by going "at that time mentallity" you would just retroactively add history in which you cant because mutants were created at the snap were they not? Which in turn would make xmen much later.
    You literally cannot have any history of mutants prior to snap if you go this route which is silly.
    The whole reason Stan Lee created mutants was to skimp on backstory. He was getting tired of having to create individual origin stories for every single character.

https://www.rollingstone.com/culture...erview-754889/

Then, once I figured out what powers they’d have, I had to figure, how did they get their powers? And they were all separate people that weren’t connected to each other, so I knew that would be a helluva job. And I took the cowardly way out, and I figured, hey, the easiest thing in the world: they were born that way. They were mutants. So I thought that would be one way to get around having to find new origins.
    And you're right...there wouldn't be mutants before the snap (at least not many)...and that's a good thing. It saves them from having to explain where the mutants were all this time. You think Nick Fury is going to ignore reports of high school students shooting force beams out of their eyes when he's trying to build a team of super-heroes? You think Hydra wouldn't put those kids on a "recruit-or-eliminate" list?

Look at the MCU's release schedule... X-Men movies aren't in the works right now. So, if they use the Blip as a starting point for mutants, Xavier has at least a couple of years to gather up some kids and start training them.
    Last edited by Egomaniac; 2019-12-02 at 06:57 PM.

I think the unsnap trigguering X-Gene is not the best way. Automatically erases all background ( they didn't exist till that event).

What I would do ? It's hard to say because I'm one of those guys who don't see a problem ( wich makes finding a solution harder).

How did this happen in the 60's? What was Xavier doing before forming the first class? Ending his study about how of all the extraordinary beings in the planet some of them shared a common element, X-gene, who made them actually another species. The rate at wich mutants are born is accelerated ( there's been mutants since ever) until it reaches a critical mass enough for Charles to reunite enough mutants to call it a class ( and enough mutants so Magneto can start his brotherhood)

That's what happens in the MCU. The first roster of X-men are just (the same way that the first class) teenagers whose primary mutation expressed a few months/years ago and the elders are just people who were minding their own x-business as many other characters introduced in the MCU until there's so many mutants ( again:accelerated rate ) that their existence can just no longer be the knowledge of a few people.

When Hulk is punching Acantis in "The Avengers" everyone is unaware of a powerful magical being called the Ancient One defending New York from the Chi Tauri.
    When the Avengers are fighting Ultron is Sokovia in "The Age of Ultron" they are unaware that some thousands of kilometers south the Black Panther is worshiped.
    When Stark gets out of the cave in "Iron Man" and think about building a human size F-22 he does not suspect his very father worked with Hank and Janet Pym to do their superheroic deeds as saving a city from being the target of a nuclear missile.
    And goes and goes and goes…It can be argued those are a secret magical cult, a nation whose very essence is isolation and a super-secret agent with shrinking powers so explaning their low profile is easy but explaning mutants ( and in general every hero) low profile is extremely easy.

Look at Logan. 140 years.Asking about where did all the old mutants were (that are just a few,most are teenagers) is the same thing as asking: What was Logan doing in 1960...or 1930...or 1900? He was trying to survive and having a low profile given that bone claws are not a good presentation card.

No, seriously I can't see the problem. The explanation to the sudden explosion of mutants in the 2020 decade is the same the comics did in the 60's : acceleration rate of an event who has been happening since ever and a particular set of extraordinary beings who did not know they were mutants ( just extraordinary) until Charles/Erik told them so.

For the starting roster I have zero doubts: some of the "Second" Genesis ,the real birth of what ,until then, were a series of a limited success.So Storm,Jean,Cyclops,Nightcrawler,Colossus and Wolverine as the core and there's even space for some more.

Best way to introduce the X-Men is starting with Rogue getting Miss Marvel out of the picture ASAP

Quote Originally Posted by Leyre View Post
    Best way to introduce the X-Men is starting with Rogue getting Miss Marvel out of the picture ASAP
    This guy knows. Captain Marvel 2 should end

Storm introduced in Black Panther 2 after credits scene.
    Mutants introduced in Dr. Strange 2.
    Rogue a villain in Captain Marvel 2.

Magneto as a Holocaust survivor is getting to be a pretty hard sell. Considering we're probably looking at 5 or more years before they actually bring the X-Men into the MCU...Magneto would have to be like 90ish.
    Nah he is a mutant.....ummmm...they stop aging once an appropriate actor is found? *shrug*

Quote Originally Posted by Hobbidaggy View Post
    Nah he is a mutant.....ummmm...they stop aging once an appropriate actor is found? *shrug*
    And immediately start aging again after that?

Quote Originally Posted by Doctor Funkenstein View Post
    Yeah, it's going to be really hard to figure out how to do it. What, with all of reality being destroyed, rebuilt, and twisted via time travel. There's just no way to do it! Nevermind that one of the most prominent mutants is a mind-bogglingly powerful telepath who could literally rewrite everyone's mind on the planet.

True story.

Yep.

Not a single possibility.
    Not that hard. Just have a percentage of the people who were snapped and came back develop abilities and call them mutants.

Problem solved. Not sure how they will do Magneto's story.

And immediately start aging again after that?
    Exactly! I’m glad you understand. Now let’s make this happen hahahaha

They barely ever see each other. They probably would get along really well if they did...but they don't hang out.

Peter and Logan though:

- - - Updated - - -

New mutants that have had all the the life experiences necessary before becoming Mutants. Take Magneto for example. In the comics...he didn't develop his powers until long after he was out of the concentration camp. He doesn't need to have had his powers to have already known how cruel and oppressive humans can be towards those they consider "other". Xavier can work the same way...only, while he sees the potential for evil, he also sees the ability to do good. They don't need to have their powers to be forged into the people they become.

- - - Updated - - -

The whole reason Stan Lee created mutants was to skimp on backstory. He was getting tired of having to create individual origin stories for every single character.

https://www.rollingstone.com/culture...erview-754889/

And you're right...there wouldn't be mutants before the snap (at least not many)...and that's a good thing. It saves them from having to explain where the mutants were all this time. You think Nick Fury is going to ignore reports of high school students shooting force beams out of their eyes when he's trying to build a team of super-heroes? You think Hydra wouldn't put those kids on a "recruit-or-eliminate" list?

Look at the MCU's release schedule... X-Men movies aren't in the works right now. So, if they use the Blip as a starting point for mutants, Xavier has at least a couple of years to gather up some kids and start training them.
    Yea so what? lol this isnt comics this is cinema, this isnt the 60s and this is an iteration of xmen after a long standing other version. This is the MCU which does the opposite of skimping on backstory.

Yea so what? lol this isnt comics this is cinema, this isnt the 60s and this is an iteration of xmen after a long standing other version. This is the MCU which does the opposite of skimping on backstory.
    It is a different iteration of the X-Men...which makes me wonder why you are being so dogmatic about the way they should approach it. You want them to follow the paths laid down in the comics, specifically like the Ultimate Comics...but the situation in the MCU is so much different.

10+ Year Old Account
    Uh... no. A big part of Magneto and Xavier's character is that they both play a mentor role. Having them gain their powers from the unsnap would take that away from them and turn them into new learners. This also doesn't take into account people like Wolverine and Apocalypse who were born long before the snap.

Quote Originally Posted by Clone View Post
    Uh... no. A big part of Magneto and Xavier's character is that they both play a mentor role. Having them gain their powers from the unsnap would take that away from them and turn them into new learners. This also doesn't take into account people like Wolverine and Apocalypse who were born long before the snap.
    They can be mentors without having full mastery of their powers.

Wolverine and Apocalypse can both have different origins than they do in the comics. They have different origins in the Ultimate Universe than they do in the 616 universe

10+ Year Old Account
    Thinking back, the only event that mutants might have been apart of but missed was Endgame.

They could easily still have Professor X and the 1st/2nd gen attending but in hiding until post Endgame. It's not like they would be out in the open during 'Civil War' Maybe a couple acted as vigilantes post Snap, you could write i a low key internal conflict during that period as the 'origin'. And we don't need full origins for everyone, see Spider-Man, even the Netflix characters kind of. Post Endgame is right for mutants being more open, superhuman/alien threats, and the world being prejudice. Again, Spider-Man is currently in hot water. Bet there aren't people who blame heroes for attracting Thanos/aliens in the first place. Let people find out the stones. Every mutant would look like a Thanos (or all that Mysterio nonsense) to them.

- - - Updated - - -

They can be mentors without having full mastery of their powers.

Wolverine and Apocalypse can both have different origins than they do in the comics. They have different origins in the Ultimate Universe than they do in the 616 universe
    Shoot, part of the reason why there are multiple universes is to have multiple origins/timelines.

Resident Cosplay Progressive