Poll: Should WoW take a Darker direction?

Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ...
LastLast
    you want dark ? go to hillsbrad and smash the heads of people burried, with a shovel

Quote Originally Posted by Alkizon View Post
    <longwinded rambling>
    You need to order your thoughts better. Your post is extremely hard to read, looking more like a stream of conciousness writeup than any attempt at discussion.

What are your personal feelings after going through chain? "let's go further, party is waiting!", "Let me, I need to go!", "authors stupid b*ds, what a nonsense...", or did you think about characters in sense of events and settings, not as about "characters", but literally, what would you do in this case and so on?
    Which chain? I have no idea what you're even talking about here.

Quote Originally Posted by Donald Hellscream View Post
    But did we see women and children burning to death? it obviously isn't dark enough until we see children on fire running around screaming trying to douse themselves.
    We see children frozen in horror staring at their impaled parents at Brennadam, does that count?

Quote Originally Posted by Aucald View Post
    Having the authority to do a thing doesn't make it just, moral, or even correct.

10+ Year Old Account
    So Teldrassil and Brennadam and knowing that all those souls are in the maw getting tormented isn't dark enough for ya?

7+ Year Old Account
    huth
    <something vague but trying to devalue the fairly objective effect of "scenery" on the plot>

Any quest chain that ended with your “dissonance”, on the basis of which you made such a thoughtful statement.

Strictly speaking, this is no longer important; same thing was explained on the last two pages even not by me and on specific examples. Dissonance is when you being knocking out of "scene" (it's result, not how you do it), or you need to grow it slowly and carefully throughout the storyline (which won't already be the one and which means it will have coherence requirements for style, just what I said; you want it, then be kind to do it, if you don’t want, you won’t get), and we talked about specific situation where viewer is feels own "accomplice of heroes" and not author's cynical critic.

This picture above is a good example of how tragic circumstances, or sad situation can be ruined, turned into insignificant “furniture”, by style - they look "good", no suffering as empathy reaction, I don’t feel anything about these characters, because they are cartoonish, it's just “toys in the toy world, 1st hangs pinned on the wall with pins, and second thinks how to help it" (this is the way textures and postures look, proportions&geometry look unnatural... it's just furniture that doesn't bear a functional load, it occupies an area, carpet on the wall), silly. I, at least, felt insulted/condolence for old models that didn’t stand out (= had coherence, picture in link even scares somehow... art's stuff, looks much more realistic even being low'quality rotting corpses, not toys; for same reason, I don't take seriously new ghouls, it’s not scary rather cute/neat, after saying this will be fair to note, that stuff like this, I highly approve) from the world, so if I saw someone else’s lying tauren, even if they didn’t have such a “texture resolution”... someone's orc, crooked troll, I still remember 2 corpses near Uldaman (players' characters, orc and forsaken girl, who lay holding hands), and it's just toys here and there, "lay down to rest, fell out from the box/table"... stupid and inappropriate, disgusting. If this is what they planned, then I congratulate them on it, but I’m falling out of “scene” and my claim here isn't at situation (plot), that I don’t even perceive as such, but only at work of "art-authors" of this disgrace.

Whether you like it or not, is not my concern, this is just the way as it happens.

Sorry, conversation is over, I worked enough today.

ps. As for what I essentially need from them, you yourself know this, we have talked about this many times personally, and that's why, apparently, you popped in here today. Au revoir
    Last edited by Alkizon; 2019-12-06 at 06:13 AM.
    __---=== IMHO(+cg) and MORE |"links-inside" ===---__

__---=== PM me WHERE if I'm unnecessarily "notifying" you ===---__

Herald of the Titans Chain Chungus's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Pretty sure the burning of Teldrassil was a darker theme.

Well, it would help if their plots didn't have atrocities on both sides while they write plots that are black white.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Benedict Donald View Post
    Pretty sure the burning of Teldrassil was a darker theme.
    BfA has some darkness in it...but they just ignore that because they want it to be edgier. Apparently scared children crying for their parents while they look up at a impaled corpse isn't edgy enough for the lords...that kid should probably be on fire or having his hair pulled right before a Horde soldier decapitates him.

Quote Originally Posted by Cathbadh View Post
    Unsure - I like darker tones at times, but I don't think that's in Christie Golden's wheelhouse.
    How so? She wrote Ravenloft books, can't get any more dark fantasy than that.

10+ Year Old Account
    I'm indifferent, but what I definitely don't want is some edgy teen dark stuff.
    Most likely the wisest Enhancement Shaman.

Quote Originally Posted by Powerogue View Post
    We see children frozen in horror staring at their impaled parents at Brennadam, does that count?

Still no children on fire, but I guess a child staring at his mothers impaled corpse is grimdark enough.

15+ Year Old Account
    its funny before i even opened this thread i was gonna say how much darker can u get than the culling of stratholme

7+ Year Old Account
    I mean it has alot of dark elements and themes? Should it pick a tone, cut out the memes, jokes and cultural references? Yes.

They should have allowed our playable character to be in Teldrassil while it burned. To hear the screams of the night elves, to watch them burn in front of our eyes.

Quote Originally Posted by Ron Burgundy View Post
    saw this WC3 cinematic and made me think of how the various Warcraft moods used to be....

what are your thoughts?
    In regards to gameplay? Yes.

Since Cata I occasionally daydreamed throughout the years about how a Black Empire expansion based on how old gods would look like. Items like the Puzzle Box of Yogg Saron and subsequent items peaked by interest in this

- Look around. They will all betray you. Flee screaming into the black forest.
    - In the land of Ny'alotha there is only sleep.
    - In the sleeping city of Ny'alotha walk only mad things.
    - Have you had the dream again? A black goat with seven eyes that watches from the outside.
    - In the sunken city, he lays dreaming.

I imagined that Ny'alotha as a grim horrific hostile place where the zone would be the endgame zone unlike other endgame zones. A zone filled with traps, surprises, interesting world mechanics and difficult monsters.
    - Hearthstone/teleportation are disabled; you either leave alive through the entrance or you leave dead
    - Grim environment where monsters will startle you in the beginning

"Ny'alotha is a city of old, terrible, unnumbered crimes."
    - Sanity/corruption mechanics in the zone; experiencing horrors and crimes lower your sanity or committing crimes will corrupt you
    - Special gear enchants/buff to mitigate sanity depletion and the growth of corruption
    - Like the timeless isle bloody coins, you can turn into a Behemoth of N'zoth (through corruption or an item) for a special mount and pet. To promote this unique pvp mode, players who contribute to the slaying of these Behemoths are granted their own coins for a mount and pet.

"It is standing right behind you. Do not move. Do not breathe."
    - Instant death mechanics

Honestly I find it disappointing in how it was all sacked into a raid.

My friend's son stopped playing the game for awhile after watching the burning of the world tree. Poor kid was traumatized for a while after seeing that.
    The hunter hoe with the least beloe.

10+ Year Old Account
    It's a PEGI 12 game suited for children. You aren't going to be getting children burning on stake or whatever other shit that makes you hard.

Game is fine as is, it's not Dark Souls and not Diablo and Warcraft never really was that either. People still beat on that Arthas dead horse, but that's about as tame as it goes. If anything, whatever shit Sylvanas did this expansion is leaps and bounds beyond that.

We're literally having an expansion of edge trip right and left, more that that? Wrong game.

Quote Originally Posted by Sorotia View Post
    I'm sorry...that I don't think every god damn thing that exists needs to be super gritty...congrats on being boring and generic and loving the flavor of the month.

You should grow up a little or one day you're going to cut yourself on your edge.
    I'm just gonna block you. What kind of person responds to a completely non-aggressive discussion post with personal attacks and then follows up with a tirade of the same. Unbelievable. I don't need your kind of absolute toxic, negative just god-awful personality anywhere near me.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Sezh View Post
    I'm just gonna block you. What kind of person responds to a completely non-aggressive discussion post with personal attacks and then follows up with a tirade of the same. Unbelievable. I don't need your kind of absolute toxic, negative just god-awful personality anywhere near me.
    Says the person who can't seem to enjoy a game unless it's full of torture and death. The irony is after my rational and truthful argument you said you couldn't talk to me because I guess you're afraid of facts...and you call me toxic, thanks for the laugh!

Quote Originally Posted by Loveliest View Post
    I really liked Drustvar and Nazmir. They're both sort of dark and spooky, with a lot of death and mystery hanging around them. They both have moments of "oh god no". That being said, not sure how it would feel if we had an entire expansion with areas like that.
    It'll be boring and samey. You can only like those things because of contrast. It's why DC comics movies sucked for so long. There was literally no contrast from gray background angsting to the death.