Poll: Rate the movie STAR WARS™: The Rise of Skywalker™

Be advised that this is a public poll: other users can see the choice(s) you selected.

Quote Originally Posted by Kallisto View Post
    But the force has never been hard. Luke with an hour or two at best training with it was able to guide 2 torpedoes down an exhaust that targeting computers couldn't hit.

Then with still no training between anh and empire was able to use force on getting his sabre.

Then between Empire and Return of the Jedi had learned at least 1 dark side force skill which he obviously wouldn't have learned from Yoda during his couple days with him when he was force choking Jabba's guards as his first actions in return of the Jedi.

In stories centre around Jedi and force welders the force does seem to come as simple as breathing.
    In the old EU canon, there was a 3 year gap between ANH and Empire. Then a few months between Empire and Return. Course, the problem is that Disney threw all the old EU so you could say "Maybe just a day between!", but, fuck them, old EU time stands.
    Just don't reply to me. Please. If you can help it.

Quote Originally Posted by Kokolums View Post
    Star Wars are thoughtful films. RoS is absolutely not. You don't like Star Wars. You like Transformer movies.
    Nah, hated Transformers. Think a little bit less; just a little.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Kallisto View Post
    But the force has never been hard. Luke with an hour or two at best training with it was able to guide 2 torpedoes down an exhaust that targeting computers couldn't hit.
    And to do that was hard, and by my understanding, he use the force to guide himself, giving him some sort of sixth sense of when he should shoot, not rly guide the missils.
    Then with still no training between anh and empire was able to use force on getting his sabre.
    again, just my understanding, who could be wrong, he got training, and did a lot of struggle to simple get his sabre from the ground, he did so much effort that i think he could shit himself, rey could probably kill the monster using the force alone, or making the sabre fly around cutting it

In stories centre around Jedi and force welders the force does seem to come as simple as breathing.
    not that much "powerful" and after a lot of training

i agree that they have to tune down a bit to not become some marvel shenanigans, like, i can see a little shake in a spaceship with t he force, but drag/explode/pull

~~~~

one of the things i did notice after seeing many people views/comments of the movie, is that this indeed is a transformer movie

Many people who didn't care about the prior trilogies, didn't care that much about Luke/Anakin story, and i have to say many who just joined the ship of nerd/geek stuff" liked this trilogy, and just wanted to see some special effects in the space like with transformers people went to see cars turning into robots and explosions, same feeling

Quote Originally Posted by Ausr View Post
    In the old EU canon, there was a 3 year gap between ANH and Empire. Then a few months between Empire and Return. Course, the problem is that Disney threw all the old EU so you could say "Maybe just a day between!", but, fuck them, old EU time stands.
    EU was never canon. Even Lucas said that it was fanfiction at best.

The Unstoppable Force Lorgar Aurelian's Avatar
    7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Ausr View Post
    Disney has put out about 70 comics to fill the gap between ANH and ESB and are getting ready to put out comics for post ESB, I don’t remeber all of the Eu stuff for the gap but so far they have done a way better job then the Eu did.

Quote Originally Posted by TheramoreIsTheBomb View Post
    According to this poll.
    47.79% of people dislike this movie.
    33.46% of people like this movie
    18.75% of people are in the middle.
    And how many in that 48% voted before the movie even came out? By the time I saw the thread, which was probably on Wednesday, there were a ton of votes already.

Quote Originally Posted by BigToast View Post
    Nah, hated Transformers. Think a little bit less; just a little.
    No amount of thought reduction will cause a cow patty coated in sugar to taste like a donut. This isn't me trying to argue that your taste is inferior, or people who liked the movie have something wrong with them, just trying to convey why that doesn't work. I'm glad for anyone who enjoyed the film and in no way would want to diminish their experience even if I could. To me though this really did have a lot more in common with Transformers or those TMNT films than it did with any halfway decent Star Wars flick. Most obvious comparison would be JJ's soulless Trek reboot. None of that is to say you would have to like any of those other films, just that from my perspective they seem similar.

One real positive in the film for me was Adam Driver's transformation when he goes from Ren to Ben. That sense of Han Solo Jr, Jedi, was really entertaining and I wish we got more of it. Would happily turn my brain off for a retcon to bring that character back and follow him through some adventures.

The Unstoppable Force Elim Garak's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    According to this poll.
    47.79% of people dislike this movie.
    33.46% of people like this movie
    18.75% of people are in the middle.
    You should ignore 0 stars because there are more people who gave it 2 and 3 stars than those who gave it 1 star - means that 0 stars are mostly edge lords or Disney haters and their votes are meaningless. You can ignore 4 stars as well if you want for the sake of fairness, though there are no edge lords there.
    All right, gentleperchildren, let's review. The year is 2024 - that's two-zero-two-four, as in the 21st Century's perfect vision - and I am sorry to say the world has become a pussy-whipped, Brady Bunch version of itself, run by a bunch of still-masked clots ridden infertile senile sissies who want the Last Ukrainian to die so they can get on with the War on China, with some middle-eastern genocide on the side

Quote Originally Posted by Yoshingo View Post
    And how many in that 48% voted before the movie even came out? By the time I saw the thread, which was probably on Wednesday, there were a ton of votes already.
    Votes still a vote. The film had multiple early screenings on Wednesday. Even with the low percentage, it still counts. Just be glad it’s a five way vote than a 2 way like the others such as endgame and cap marvel. I knew how controversial this topic would be
    "You know you that bitch when you cause all this conversation."

Votes still a vote.
    Except it's not when people are voting on the quality of a thing they didn't see lol.

Just be glad it’s a five way vote than a 2 way like the others such as endgame and cap marvel. I knew how controversial this topic would be
    Oh yes thank you gracious master for not making a poll thread on a forum have just 2 options.

Quote Originally Posted by Aurrora View Post
    Merchandise sales are down(and in case you didn't know that's where the real profits are at for Star Wars), Galaxy's Edge underperformed(on top of essentially being a Star Wars themed mall, which makes it a double-whammy with merchandise sales being down), and you can find a ridiculous amount of videos on Youtube bitching about Star Wars still being produced two years later. Disney is still paying off the capital they invested in buying the franchise in the first place, they can't accept a movie merely being profitable when its leading to decreased interest in the franchise as a whole.

So yes, I do think Disney mandated that Abrams unfuck the sequel trilogy. The movie goes out of its way to address fan complaints.
    "Oh we should just Holdo maneuver this fleet!"-> "No that was a ridiculously lucky fluke"
    "Rey Nobody"->"Actually, Rey Palpatine"
    Rey didn't have training? Apparently all she's been doing since The Last Jedi is training with Leia.
    Rey throws the Skywalker saber away? Luke catches it and admonishes her.
    How could Leia use the Force in such a way in the Last Jedi? Apparently she was a fully trained Jedi all along, she just never bothered to use it before then.
    People didn't like Rose? She gets turned into a background character(honestly this one was fucked up)
    Kylo broke his helmet? They just glue it back together
    People didn't like that Snoke's backstory was unexplained? He was a vat grown puppet for Palpatine.

If Abrams wanted to make a second and third movie he would have taken the job of writing and directing the entire trilogy in the first place, he just didn't want to. We do know however that Palpatine returning is not something that was in the original outline he wrote for the trilogy, nor in Treverrow's version of IX. He's not even mentioned in the Visual Dictionary for the Rise of Skywalker, the goings on of Exegol is attributed to a Sith Eternal cult. That seems to me like Palpatine was a very late addition to the movie. The marketing and movie don't treat Palpatine being back as some huge reveal, so there's no reason he shouldn't have a place in the visual dictionary.

- - - Updated - - -

Empire was never hated, that's some bullshit that people who liked The Last Jedi have latched onto in the past year to defend the movie.
    Its pretty much a fact it was critically mixed. Hated might be strong, but it wasn't the holy grail until later. It wasn't taken as seriously as it is now either. But yes, so 2 of 9 films weren't hated on release. One was mixed.

Quote Originally Posted by Slybak View Post
    Disney merchandise sales have gone down across the board. Are people buying fewer Marvel toys because they didn't like The Last Jedi? Star Wars sales were down last year because there was no new merchandise because there was no holiday tentpole release since 2017.
    Star Wars sales were down in 2017 too, with the tentpole release that you're riding so vigorously.

lmao this is supposed to matter to Bob Iger?
    When its causing damage to the 4 billion dollar purchase he made? Yeah. Do you not see the value of tracking public opinion of your product based on social media?

No, they aren't. Disney bought the IP from Lucasfilm for $4.05b back in 2012. Movie proceeds alone have netted them much more than that, and that includes Solo failing to break even.
    You realize gross and net are different things right? TLJ's net profit was $417 million, you'll need need a lot more of those to pay off the $4 billion investment.
    Again, they asked Johnson to helm IX before they asked Abrams.
    The asked Johnson to helm it before they even saw the public reaction to The Last Jedi, this means nothing. Then they got Abrams to do it and it shits all over TLJ, do you seriously think they would have allowed Abrams to do that if they didn't see the way the wind was blowing?

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Zoldor View Post
    Its pretty much a fact it was critically mixed. Hated might be strong, but it wasn't the holy grail until later. It wasn't taken as seriously as it is now either. But yes, so 2 of 9 films weren't hated on release. One was mixed.
    Critics opinion matter for jack shit, show me the general public's disappointment for ESB. The only anger I remember hearing about from Empire's first release was jackasses telling people in line that Vader was Luke's father as they left the theater.

10+ Year Old Account
    Not amazing, but not as bad as people are making it out to be.
    You can tell it's a Disney movie though with their insistence on having some sort of joke or 'funny' event every 5 minutes.
    Speciation Is Gradual

Quote Originally Posted by La View Post
    I mean TLJ was hated by fans but critics loved it, because it hit every check on the box for what makes a great movie. Despite all the backlash the fans give Rian, at least he knew how to make a movie. Unlike TFA, it didn't pander or try to give everyone a nostalgia trip - it tried doing something new. And fans didn't like it. Understandably, because of what they expected and wanted.

Yet, TROS has the complete opposite reaction. Critics hate it but fans enjoy it, although anyone who is a Star Wars fan and enjoys good writing or simply respect for the previous movies will not. TROS, again, goes back to the whole fan service mode that TFA had, because it "worked"

They got too distracted by having to "end" the Sith, the Jedi, and all of that, that they didn't bother to build upon anything new in the world. Why do this, why explain that, when we want to have it all end? I think the biggest thing I've noticed in all 3 films is that I can a lot of George's story in them all, which is why some thing appear so oddly in them.
    Anyone who legit thinks TLJ is a good movie in general needs to watch some actual good movies. It's a bloated mess that could have over half an hour cut out losing nothing and actually improving the film. The characters are non nonsensical and the plot is just bad. Without even going into the context of it being a star wars movie it's not a good movie in any regard.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Darththeo View Post
    She is constantly liked by everyone ... that is false. Han didn't trust her when they first met, he grew to like her when he saw her knowledge. And any trust before he liked her was more out of his loyalty/caring of Leia then anything Rey did.
    So like most Star Wars Protagonists ... you know Star Wars where losing a limb is a temporary set back.
    So like Luke does and Anakin does in the PT ... nothing new, move along. If you are talking about flying the Falcon, that is literally so much bs that I can't be bothered to do anything more than laugh at it.
    Is she ever addressed as the Chosen One? No, stop making shit up. Even if you argue, Luke was a Chosen One and so was Anakin.

Honestly, the Mary Sue complaint is nonsense at best and an outright lie at best.
    You mean how she had more knowledge of the falcon than han and was a better pilot then him lol? Really not helping your case what's next explaining away using a broadsword style weapon by talking about her staff training :P

The Unstoppable Force Elim Garak's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Xath View Post
    Anyone who legit thinks TLJ is a good movie in general needs to watch some actual good movies.
    Anyone who legit thinks TLJ is a bad movie in general needs to watch some actual bad movies
    All right, gentleperchildren, let's review. The year is 2024 - that's two-zero-two-four, as in the 21st Century's perfect vision - and I am sorry to say the world has become a pussy-whipped, Brady Bunch version of itself, run by a bunch of still-masked clots ridden infertile senile sissies who want the Last Ukrainian to die so they can get on with the War on China, with some middle-eastern genocide on the side

Quote Originally Posted by Xath View Post
    Anyone who legit thinks TLJ is a good movie in general needs to watch some actual good movies. It's a bloated mess that could have over half an hour cut out losing nothing and actually improving the film. The characters are non nonsensical and the plot is just bad. Without even going into the context of it being a star wars movie it's not a good movie in any regard.

- - - Updated - - -

You mean how she had more knowledge of the falcon than han and was a better pilot then him lol? Really not helping your case what's next explaining away using a broadsword style weapon by talking about her staff training :P
    She. literally. worked. on. the. Falcon. for. the. junker. she. worked. for.

It's literally said in the movie. It's not the movie's fault you weren't paying attention.

10+ Year Old Account
    I think 2/5 is a fair score overall, fan feelings aside. It's not totally horrible, it's not GoT S8. It is weak and feels rushed - they should have made the reveal about Emperor back in The Last Jedi, then the pacing would be good.

Exclusion of a proper force/saber battle and weak space battle were disappointing, as well as whole Kylo Ren resolution overall, especially last moment of the movie was almost a parody.

On the other hand Rei origin was a surprise there and overall was done ok. They did need to tone her down a tad though, because she was OP as fuck overall for no reason whatsoever.

I hope the next trilogy will be done good couple hundreds years down the road, it's time to move forward really.

Quote Originally Posted by Darththeo View Post
    Given that they had Freddie Prince Jr, I don't see why they couldn't have Hera's voice actor in the show for a brief line.
    Mandalorians (The Mandalorian Spoilers follow) are stated to be very few in number as of the show. They are so rare now that few are seen at all. While it be cool, Mandos would need some expanding.
    The Clones are all dead at the time of TFA, they wouldn't be the clones we knew and loved. Could they be new Kamonian clones, sure, but Clone Troopers aged quickly. Hence why Rex was so old in Rebels.
    Wasn't there a Trade Federation ship in the shot?

You didn't recognize Qui-Gon (Liam Neeson) or Obi-wan (Alec Guinness)?
    I recognized them because i was intently listening to hear if i could spot Hayden Christensen. Imighthave heard Alec Guinness though.
    Still though, i noticed some of the callbacks there because i was listening intently. If i didnt know it was going to be a bunch of cllbacks i could have just as easily assumed Rey heard the voices of the Resistance.

I believe there was supposed to be an alternate cut where a whole bunch of force ghosts appeared behind her, which would have been more effective. Both as a callback, and thematically, showing that Palpatine is alone with his power against Rey with all the Jedi.
    Of course, that is just a theory i have, going by the supposed cut scene of Hayden force ghost. Might have always been meant to just be voices.
    The world revamp dream will never die!

Quote Originally Posted by eschatological View Post
    She. literally. worked. on. the. Falcon. for. the. junker. she. worked. for.

It's literally said in the movie. It's not the movie's fault you weren't paying attention.
    Han. literally. had. the. falcon. for. longer. than. she. was. alive.

Not my fault that you want to excuse crappy writing.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Elim Garak View Post
    Anyone who legit thinks TLJ is a bad movie in general needs to watch some actual bad movies
    Watched quite a few it's in the category of the worst type of bad movie. It will never be so bad it's good because of the sheer amount of money spent on it you aren't going to have bloopers stay in like you will for real low budget movies. It's not bad enough to be good it's just blah. The pacing is awful there are tons of issues with the plot the characters are bland and completely forgettable. It manages to feel even longer than it's runtime because of how crappy of a movie it is. That's without factoring in the demolition of Luke's character.

10+ Year Old Account
    The movie is not horrible, it's just weak and disappointing considering the premise. I think it's hurt by poor planning for the trilogy as a whole, they ran out of time and had no time to explore whole Emperor thing properly, as should have been done. This plot reveal should have been spread over 2 movies, not being squeezed into one.