Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Endus View Post
    Nationalist economics was a hallmark of mercantilism. It's one of the core concepts Adam Smith was arguing against in his proposals for a capitalist system. Globalism was explicitly the intent of capitalism. That, in the modern era, we're essentially abandoning capitalist theory in favor of a mercantilist model is, arguably, the entire root of the economic problems that we've been facing for the last century or so, in the developed world.
    I know people like to sell the fear of globalization, as if it's some nefarious plot of leftists to force them to be around other cultures. In reality, globalism is nothing more than government getting out of the way, and letting capitalism flourish.

Quote Originally Posted by Katie N View Post
    Was denied because they said I don't meet the requirements for it.

Was planning to visit my sister for Tết.

Providing documentation that I have enough money for the stay, that I have ties to my country doesn't seem to be enough, that I am enrolled in education, that I have home, that I have other things here that I am not going to abandon was not enough.

Why is it so difficult when you just want to visit?
    Do they really just send a notice saying you don't meet the requirement, but don't specify what requirements?

Quote Originally Posted by Machismo View Post
    I know people like to sell the fear of globalization, as if it's some nefarious plot of leftists to force them to be around other cultures. In reality, globalism is nothing more than government getting out of the way, and letting capitalism flourish.
    The only way this works is without massive growing pains is if the nominal cost of living is roughly the same everywhere which essentially would require an accepted world currency which would basically eliminate sovereign monetary policy and essentially the concept of a nation in favor of global governance.

It’s hyper idealistic and at present a fantasy.

Quote Originally Posted by D3thray View Post
    The only way this works is without massive growing pains is if the nominal cost of living is roughly the same everywhere which essentially would require an accepted world currency which would basically eliminate sovereign monetary policy and essentially the concept of a nation in favor of global governance.

It’s hyper idealistic and at present a fantasy.
    It works just fine, do we have major issues between the various states in the United States? Nope.

Free trade, freedom of movement, and capitalism are not radical concepts.

The de facto accepted world currency is called the dollar. Been a thing for a while.

Quote Originally Posted by D3thray View Post
    Come on now, I know you’re really loose on the concept of borders, but what does illegal immigration have to do with capitalism?
    It is primarily a capitalim tool. Why do you think all the rich people and companies want immigration
    and the geek shall inherit the earth

Providing documentation that I have enough money for the stay, that I have ties to my country doesn't seem to be enough, that I am enrolled in education, that I have home, that I have other things here that I am not going to abandon was not enough.

Did they send you one of those 214(b) blanket denial letter? How was the interview? Sometimes the reason for the denial boils down to whether the person doing the interview was in a bad or a good mood. Regardless of strength of the supporting documentations that you provided them.

'Cause everyone wants one?

I have never had problems with travel to US. Every ESTA application has gone through without issues, but it has been couple years since my last visit. Though I guess its easier for me since my country is in the visa waiver program and I don't need actual visa to travel if my stay is only 90 days or less.

Because the current administration would prohibit people coming to the US totally if they could. Apparently the country is full or some such nonsense.

A little off-topic, but why do some Americans have such an issue with resident aliens not getting citizenship? I've been in the US for almost 20 years on and off, but I've not taken American citizenship, and that seems to bother some. Almost like they are insulted by it.

Quote Originally Posted by Stelio Kontos View Post
    A little off-topic, but why do some Americans have such an issue with resident aliens not getting citizenship? I've been in the US for almost 20 years on and off, but I've not taken American citizenship, and that seems to bother some. Almost like they are insulted by it.
    I cant speak for americans but its not like this issue is only american.

And the answer is pretty obvious. People like it more when people show respect and understanding for the culture, rather than turning up using the place like their personal rubbish dump then flying off to be a problem somewhere else.

assimilate or get out.

When certain races or religious groups turn up and turn street blocks hell even whole towns into their own personal hang out and dont bother to learn the language or respect the culture/land. Why would that piss people off i wonder hmmmmm
    Comes a time when we all gotta die...even kings.

Quote Originally Posted by Volatilis View Post
    I cant speak for americans but its not like this issue is only american.

And the answer is pretty obvious. People like it more when people show respect and understanding for the culture, rather than turning up using the place like their personal rubbish dump then flying off to be a problem somewhere else.

assimilate or get out.

When certain races or religious groups turn up and turn street blocks hell even whole towns into their own personal hang out and dont bother to learn the language or respect the culture/land. Why would that piss people off i wonder hmmmmm
    But I work here, I pay taxes. A lot of taxes. More taxes than most Americans, considering my tax bracket, and I get far, far less for it than I would anywhere in Europe. I just want the option of being able to move back to the EU if it suits me, either for work or when I want to start a family. I'm not showing disrespect, considering I follow the laws, speak English in public when interacting with Americans, and otherwise cause no issue for the locals.

But I work here, I pay taxes. A lot of taxes. More taxes than most Americans, considering my tax bracket, and I get far, far less for it than I would anywhere in Europe. I just want the option of being able to move back to the EU if it suits me, either for work or when I want to start a family. I'm not showing disrespect, considering I follow the laws, speak English in public when interacting with Americans, and otherwise cause no issue for the locals.
    People dont really care how much tax you pay because its hard to quantify that into their own life. They dont see you going into a top law firm to work and think "thanks for keeping these streets clean by helping contribute to the government who pay the cleaners!" They think "this guy is making money on my land!"

People dont really care how much tax you pay because its hard to quantify that into their own life. They dont see you going into a top law firm to work and think "thanks for keeping these streets clean by helping contribute to the government who pay the cleaners!" They think "this guy is making money on my land!"
    Considering how much money Americans make off of other countries, that would be an odd reason to be against a green card holder not getting citizenship.

Considering how much money Americans make off of other countries, that would be an odd reason to be against a green card holder not getting citizenship.
    Yeah because the rothchilds hand out welfare cheques left and right, right?

Quote Originally Posted by Lily Demon View Post
    Why would you not get citizenship?
    Because I don't want to lose the ability to go back and work in the EU. I'm pretty sure I don't wanna settle down and start a family here in the US, so as long as I'm single and just working it's a good fit, but it might not always be, so I want to keep my options open.

Yeah because the rothchilds hand out welfare cheques left and right, right?
    Huh? What does that have to do with Americans being angry at someone else working and making a living on "their" land?

- - - Updated - - -

What? Why would you lose that by obtaining citizenship?
    Because as it is now I could work anywhere in the US with my green card or anywhere in the EU with my citizenship. If I gave up my EU citizenship it wouldn't be as easy to go back and work there.

Huh? What does that have to do with Americans being angry at someone else working and making a living on "their" land?
    because you said "Considering how much money Americans make off of other countries, that would be an odd reason to be against a green card holder not getting citizenship. "

as if the average american is out there stealing oil from the middle east. A few at the very top get and keep all that wealth.

The only real benefit they get is affordable petrol because people want to be president and know they cant fuck with the price of it too much so people can fill up their over sized SUVs

You'd have to renounce your current citizenship to obtain us citizenship? They don't allow dual citizenship?
    I've heard it's easiest to get for Canadians, Irish, and British, but even if so, having my green card already allows me most of the things citizenship would, I just can't vote in federal elections. I can and do vote in local elections, and I don't really have anything to gain by getting the citizenship beyond mollifying some need Americans have to see every foreigner trip over themselves to become a US citizen.