Page 11 of 14 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by WKOstarion View Post
    James Cameron predicts 'Avatar' will ultimately top 'Avengers: Endgame': 'I think it's a certainty'

Cameron believes "Avatar," which celebrates its anniversary Wednesday, will be restored to its place atop the box-office mountain over "Endgame" through an inevitable rerelease, part of a larger plan to rekindle global audience love before the movie's first sequel, planned for release Dec. 17, 2021.

"I think it’s a certainty," says Cameron of "Avatar" eventually passing "Avengers" in theaters. "But let’s give 'Endgame' their moment and let’s celebrate that people are going to the movie theater."

"I don’t want to sound snarky after I took the high road (by offering congratulations)," he says. "But they beat us by one quarter of a percent. I did the math in my head while driving in this morning. I think accountants call that a rounding error."

when he says things like this, this makes me not want to go see avatar 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, or whatever many sequels he's filming, just out of spite.
    Well what he makes might top the Avengers he made a really good movie it looked fantastic.. its plot however is heavily borrowed/stolen/copied.
    so while Marvel movies are based on comics i don't know if he can really make a movie that good without the flashy effects carrying it.
    Dragonflight Nerfs vs fun again show a Blizzard that hasn't learnt a lesson, Actions speak louder than words afterall watch what they do and do not do.

Why do people keep calling "Avatar=Pocahontas?"
    Less about that and more about playing "What if," as in "What if Native America successfully beat back European invaders in the 15th century?" And considering how everyone (pretty sure that means most here) was all about Mother Nature, and going green is God...

And lets face it, Avatar is Disney's baby now. And I don't think Cameron has ever half-assed anything he directed.

Quote Originally Posted by Shadowferal View Post
    Why do people keep calling "Avatar=Pocahontas?"
    Because that is what this incredibly simplistic story boils down to.. and you don't even need to do much boiling here. It practically evaporates at room temperature.

That the blue cat natives, which are probably below the tech of native americans at the time, lost to guys capable of interstallar space flight is not even worth adressing. Pocahontas was at least somewhat believable in that regard.
    Last edited by Cosmic Janitor; 2019-12-26 at 07:06 PM.
    You are welcome, Metzen. I hope you won't fuck up my underground expansion idea.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Ticj View Post
    Alright, then explain to me why the movie did so bad commercially then?

Just because you liked the manga doesn't mean the movie was just as good.
    lol what, a movie doing bad or good commercially says nothing about it being good. I'm done arguing with you.

Quote Originally Posted by Haidaes View Post
    That the blue cat natives, which are probably below the tech of native americans at the time, lost to guys capable of interstallar space flight is not even worth adressing. Pocahontas was at least somewhat believable in that regard.
    I guess I saw a different movie.
    I mean when all of life on an entire planet goes apeshit, technology doesn't matter.
    Although were I paraplegic I would have found an avatar body more fascinating than I did.

The Lightbringer
    7+ Year Old Account
    I can only attribute the hate towards Avatar to an inherent "humans can't lose, because i am one" mentality. If you kinda think about it, we can break down every movie into basic stories or tropes. It's the medium and the adaptation of the story that counts.

Wasn't lucky enough to experience Avatar 1 in a 3D cinema, only watched on TV.

I will certainly experience the 3D re-release of 1 and happily watch 2 as well.
    /spit@Blizzard

Quote Originally Posted by Ahovv View Post
    lol what, a movie doing bad or good commercially says nothing about it being good. I'm done arguing with you.
    It's a pretty good metric dude. There are of course some edge cases, but Alita just felt like a poor adaptation to me.

- - - Updated - - -

Alita had a ton of marketing for it. It was not just some obscure movie.

Quote Originally Posted by Winter Blossom View Post
    I always thought it was more like Fern Gully.
    Likewise, but its not like either invented the genre. Dances with Wolves is quite popular, and a personal favorite of mine is Last Samurai.

I mean, the genre's almost made for cheap copypasting simply by changing the setting and culture of the underdog.

Maybe Cameron can also retry at the Academy Awards and not get beaten by his own ex-wife this time.
    Last edited by Galathir; 2019-12-26 at 10:12 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Zaktar View Post
    I don't hate the guy at all, this is super entertaining. I would bet on success muuuuuuuch more based on Cameron's record than on any abiding love people have for that sodium-free saltine of a film.

It's really interesting that you think the franchise can carry 15 films, is that based on the MCU? Typically as franchises go their audience shrinks, the few exceptions are remarkable for going the other way. If 2 outdoes 1, my guess is that it will be due to inflation, and the most likely outcome is that it will be profitable, but not as successful. After that the franchise will probably wane.
    By "Avatar 15 will be profitable" I meant that if James Cameron directs 15 Avatar movies, they'll all be profitable even given the fact that sequels are very rarely more profitable.

Of course his name will be a big part of why Avatar 2 will be successful, but that goes without saying. I don't believe Avatar 2 would be impressive if it had a different director, even if the movie was the same.

Quote Originally Posted by Ihavewaffles View Post
    I don't think taking a break to develop 4 avatar movies means he's in trouble, we could have gotten avatar 2, years ago, but that would have meant we wouldn't get anything new to set a new bar. With the wave of the 1st movie, that would have been easy to do, but to what purpose? Was it a mistake for it take so long between Terminator 1 n 2? T2 would have ended being subpar to what we got...

Jc is the first human, to solo the mariana trench, developed new cameras for deep sea diving, he doesn't do stuff half-assed when he's in the driver's seat.
    He'll take ur ugly evergreen n make the best xmas tree u have ever seen...

He goes the extra mile, so I don't doubt avatar 2 will be a success.

You seem to be so hung up on him being producer..

Look at the crap we got with star wars n kathleen kennedy, did she just become bad? Or does producer matter not as much as you think?
    Cuz there's tons of movies people worship with her name on it as producer.

ET, Jurassic Park, Indiana Jones, Ghostbusters, Back to the Future, Goonies, Gremlins, etc

Kathleen kennedy being bad as producer would have been unimportant had there been writers n directors willing to take on a huge project that a star wars trilogy meant, too time-consuming...jar jar abrams n rian johnson were far far from first choices, they were the only ones left, director after director said no to put their own projects on hold to adopt g.lucas giant baby...one after another they walked away. I don't think ep 7-9 would have been good even without her, Disney rushed trilogy instead of taking their time.

Did the mandalorian revert kathleen kennedy to being good?

Disney paid billions for star wars, nobody realistically cough up so much dough n is patient to wait for the money to take their time to return...Trilogy was destined for fail, directors avoided the bad conditions like the plague..

I don't think rushing avatar sequel would have been a good idea..

Anyways, I'm getting off-topic..I think u should drop this producer = bad movie conspiracy theory..
    The reason why Cameron hasn't made Avatar yet has never been because he wanted to take a hiatus. It is plain and simply because he couldn't get it funded. Not his own way where he wanted the studios to simply give him a literal billion dollars to shoot 4 films simultaneously. Even after the success of Avatar, he couldn't get that funded.

Eventually he got 2 and 3 funded with funding for a 4th pledged, but which still won't be given to him unless 2 and 3 actually succeed.

The fact remains, the failure of Dark Fate is still a major problem for Cameron.

Regarding Disney's Star Wars and Kathleen Kennedy's involvement in all that. While Kathleen Kennedy carries a lot of the blame for the hot mess SW has become, the person most responsible was Bob Iger, it was Iger who greenlit simply deleting the canon that came with Lucasfilm, which was an absolutely confusing decision to make, akin to buying Marvel then ignoring the comic books.

Kathleen Kennedy's success as a producer had also more to do with her marriage to Frank Marshall and the business relationship provided for her with Spielberg than her own personal business acumen. During her time working as a producer for Spielberg she didn't actually have any creative control, creative control Iger and Disney gave her, allowing her to instantly make a mess of everything. A decision I'm sure Iger regretted in hindsight.

There's no "conspiracy", it's a simple fact that when bad producers have creative control they can make a fucking mess of things, as your own examples have shown as well.

I'm not saying Cameron will fuck Avatar up because he is a bad producer, I was just pointing out, that he fucked up Dark Fate pretty fucking badly and this entire little flamewar he is launching now, just reeks of being sore about having a fuck up like Dark Fate under his belt.

Quote Originally Posted by Highelf View Post
    Yeah 3D was only good if it was SHOT in 3D, and even then, most of the time it wasn't worth the up in price. However, there have been certain jumps in CGI, starting with Jurassic Park, and I would put Avatar among them for sure.
    Pretty much everything that was CGI-heavy that came out in 2009 was of equal if not better quality based on pure CGI and its integration into the film, as was true for the few preceding years. It did nothing for that, just 3D filming.

Again: It's not a major benchmark in CGI, and certainly not the idiotic "there was a time before Avatar and a time after!" that someone else in this thread made.

Avatar was an okay movie but nothing extraordinary in my opinion.

Does Cameron think he's created the next Star Wars or something? The next Lord of the Rings? Fuck off. Avatar is a cool, big budget movie that's fun to watch on the big screen, not much more. It lacks any real depth and staying power.

I'll watch any sequals probably. And then forget about it, like Avatar 1. I'll never watch a rerelease of it in the theaters.
    Last edited by Eviscero; 2019-12-27 at 03:04 PM.

It sounds like it's going to be "market-researched" to death to appeal as much as possible to the broad masses in every foreign market.

Quote Originally Posted by Nightstalker View Post
    It sounds like it's going to be "market-researched" to death to appeal as much as possible to the broad masses in every foreign market.
    That would be more Disney's schtick than Cameron's.

james should feel lucky if he breaks a billion with the new avatars. there needs to be a story worth seeing more than once, and i dont see that happening unless he got a pair of just stellar writers.

Pretty sure that Disney will do whatever to make bank.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Nightstalker View Post
    James Cameron makes the films he wants to make. Like with Alita: Battle Angel. Cyberpunk is a huge risk; he told the story he wanted to tell, with the CGI he wanted to use.

I doubt he'll change his movie.

Quote Originally Posted by Shadowferal View Post
    That would be more Disney's schtick than Cameron's.
    Disney will be distributing.

Quote Originally Posted by Stormcall View Post
    So just to be clear, he's bragging that he's going to win by rereleasing the movie for it's 10th anniversary and getting a second chance to make money in theaters? Very good James. Maybe Endgame can rerelease 10 years from now too and you can see if your dick still measures up.
    Watch Disney re-release the entire MCU 10 years from now laughing their way to the bank