Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst
    Quote Originally Posted by Ivanstone View Post
    I like the Arrowverse mostly. It has its ups and downs but I'm generally satisfied with it. I'm hoping Batwoman improves.

I also like The 100. It can be a bit grating at times but makes up for it with batshit insanity. Its a show that's apocalyptic and damn serious about delivering that.

iZombie is easily the best cooking show on TV. Also its a pretty decent crime procedural and Rose McIver is fantastic.
    I never saw iZombie, always wondered if it was worth watching.

I coudln't get into the 100 after the first epsiode, it felt so cliche/hunger games copy that was just worse,e ven though that wasn't great either.

Rose McIver? I will have to gooogle that, is it like a female MAcgyver?

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Skizzit View Post

Both The 100 and Legends had this at the start as well, but quickly dropped it for the most part with The 100 leaning into the post-apocalyptic lets kill everyone vibe while Legends of Tomorrow just went bat-shit crazy. It really feels like they just took all the crazy ideas the writers may have wanted to try on the other Arrowverse series but thought they would be too outlandish and just put them all into that single series. Ideas like "lets turn the main cast into puppets for an episode" or "lets defeat the season's big bad by having a talking blue teddy bear turn into a giant avatar of power and body-slam him." It is so gloriously over the top silly and tons of fun.
    I agree with it was funny, especially the big blue teddy.. and yes that cheese is well over the top, which works for the odd series here or there though, not so sure on everything else being that way, or following exactly the same cheese.

I gues I wanted sci'fi/fantasy with good romance and good plots, sigh, but got the CW.

- - - Updated - - -

Arrow really started out cool. Bu after like season 3 it became so cheesy. The fight scenes felt so contriveed and silly .. maybe it's because shows like into the Badlands and the marvel netflix ones pumped out much better quality for the stronger assets Arrow had.

Quote Originally Posted by ravenmoon View Post
    I never saw iZombie, always wondered if it was worth watching.

I coudln't get into the 100 after the first epsiode, it felt so cliche/hunger games copy that was just worse,e ven though that wasn't great either.

Rose McIver? I will have to gooogle that, is it like a female MAcgyver?
    One of the schticks of iZombie is that when a zombie eats a brain, the zombie gets some of that brains memories, skills and personality. McIver ends up acting out a lot of different characters for that reason. Kind of like Orphan Black except campier. Also you get to see a lot of different ways of how to cook what looks like brain-shaped process chicken.

The 100 can be excessively melodramatic but makes up for it in other ways. For me, the good outweighs the bad.

Arrow really started out cool. Bu after like season 3 it became so cheesy. The fight scenes felt so contriveed and silly .. maybe it's because shows like into the Badlands and the marvel netflix ones pumped out much better quality for the stronger assets Arrow had.
    I can appreciate Daredevil and Arrow at the same time. If you have limited TV time, you're better off with the former. Legends is the only real standout since its nothing like anything else. The crossover Arrowverse episodes do tend to be better. Every single Arrowverse event is better than the Justice League movie which continues to amuse me to no end.

There's a reason some people refer to CW as 'cringe warning'...

Quote Originally Posted by Hextor View Post
    There's a reason some people refer to CW as 'cringe warning'...
    Oh really? I hadn't heard that won, but it makes sense, makes me laugh cos it's true.

WAs trying to watch one of the new arrow episodes, and is it me or do all the fights use EXACTLY the same choreography ? It looks phony. Sigh.. why can't we have Into the Badlands level of fighting - that's what I had hoped lightsaber action for the new star wars would be like, but nope.

Didn't happen.

The CW is so progressive too, I just noticed Supergirl and Batwoman air first before Flash and Arrow - they put the female stars first too, and prioritise them. Isn't that amazing?

Quote Originally Posted by Doctor Funkenstein View Post
    Supernatural.
    - - - Updated - - -

Going to miss this when its gone.

10+ Year Old Account
    Say what you want about CW, they struck gold. They cultivated a large enough audience to keep them afloat, one that likes a very particular kind of TV. Its like Lifetime but for whoever loves CW. All their shows follow the CW formula. Theres wiggle room but they all stick close to the line.

Resident Cosplay Progressive

Quote Originally Posted by PACOX View Post
    Say what you want about CW, they struck gold. They cultivated a large enough audience to keep them afloat, one that likes a very particular kind of TV. Its like Lifetime but for whoever loves CW. All their shows follow the CW formula. Theres wiggle room but they all stick close to the line.
    Very close to the line - even when you grow out of it, and know its full on cheese, you still watch out of habit?

Quote Originally Posted by Yunru View Post
    Of the new shows, all are trash.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_o...artoon_Network

Just watch:
    Dexter's Laboratory
    Johnny Bravo
    Cow and Chicken
    I Am Weasel
    The Powerpuff Girls
    Ed, Edd n Eddy
    Courage the Cowardly Dog
    Time Squad
    Samurai Jack (there is also Primal from same author on adult channel)
    Grim & Evil
    Codename: Kids Next Door
    The Grim Adventures of Billy & Mandy
    Star Wars: Clone Wars (2003 TV series)
    Megas XLR
    Evil Con Carne
    Chowder
    Transformers: Animated (not the best, but still better than never crap)

The most recent decent shows would be this:
    Mighty Magiswords
    OK K.O.! Let's Be Heroes
    (and those 2 got canceled)
    I looked it up and I don't think they're referring to Cartoon Network, but the advice still applies. If you don't like a channel....don't watch the stuff you don't like? There's a lot of options out there, even if it means you have to go digging through old shows. If it was a popular old show you won't have any trouble still finding people who would love to talk about it anyway.

If I was recommending, it'd have to be based on what OP means by "clean" and "not full of cheese." Stop watching greasy cooking channels then! :P

Last edited by Powerogue; 2020-01-02 at 06:28 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Aucald View Post
    Having the authority to do a thing doesn't make it just, moral, or even correct.

Quote Originally Posted by vincink View Post
    I gave up watching television a long time ago for the reason of its cheese and exaggerated sexualization of everything. The separation was hard, I remember-- about ten years ago. Lot's of withdrawal and boredom. But after about 3 months I was finding other things to replace it: job, games, exercise, and developing new hobbies. Might be worth trying.

On the other hand, without knowing your age range, it's hard to suggest replacement TV shows. Something more cerebral maybe?
    For me the exaggerated sexualization of everything is what annoys me the most. It's so un-necessary, and it's cheap, and it's such a narrow point of view, yet you see it characterising all their shows, it's not love or romance they peddle, but lust and sex, and it's cheap, when i watch other country shows, like some of the k-dramas, i'm like this is so much better, now why couldn't they be like that.

Another thing they do excessively and in exaggeration is violence, and how quick everyone descends into fighting each other, and how if a situation can be mis-interpreted to bring more conflict, it happens like EVERY single time - you don't notice how bad it is until you watch different culture stuff (like the korean shows I talked about whnen you a pleasantly surprised they dind't over-dramatise or take worse possible outcome approach, but still decent and different choices that were made still resulted in an interesting story and interesting plot development).. which proves to me, they have some sort of sex and violence pushing agenda, it can't just be because its easy, because it can just as easily not be so exaggerated and in fact more people would appreciate it. So why do they push it? Cos they have an agenda of some sort.

Corrupt.

10+ Year Old Account
    Its a network for teen girls, but of the shows they've had there are a few decent: The 100, Smallville, Supernatural

They still had cringe, but they were manageable levels in otherwise good shows. Any of their modern superhero stuff is pure canceraids and they've gone full sjw cringe. You couldn't pay me to watch any of that, I'd just get mad and leave LOL. I really wish they didn't have the rights to use beloved characters... best I can do is ignore and pretend it doesn't exist.

Quote Originally Posted by Lazuli View Post
    Its a network for teen girls, but of the shows they've had there are a few decent: The 100, Smallville, Supernatural

They still had cringe, but they were manageable levels in otherwise good shows. Any of their modern superhero stuff is pure canceraids and they've gone full sjw cringe. You couldn't pay me to watch any of that, I'd just get mad and leave LOL. I really wish they didn't have the rights to use beloved characters... best I can do is ignore and pretend it doesn't exist.
    Of the modern list, Black Lightning seems fairly decent, and a little bit better than the others, I was suprpirsed to enjoy some of the episodes. I agree with your list except for the 100

10+ Year Old Account
    Of the modern list, Black Lightning seems fairly decent, and a little bit better than the others, I was suprpirsed to enjoy some of the episodes. I agree with your list except for the 100
    The 100 starts out as a teen drama then does a complete 180 , it has a lot of good arcs. The first episodes are especially cringe, not sure why they did that. Like the retarded dude that says DO WHATEVER THE HECK WE WANT NO ADULTS HEHE ends up as 1 of the best characters. I'm pretty sure they swapped writers from somewhere in season 1 .

The 100 starts out as a teen drama then does a complete 180 , it has a lot of good arcs. The first episodes are especially cringe, not sure why they did that. Like the retarded dude that says DO WHATEVER THE HECK WE WANT NO ADULTS HEHE ends up as 1 of the best characters. I'm pretty sure they swapped writers from somewhere in season 1 .
    I didnt realise, I checked out of it after the first 3 episodes and never looked back. Might revisit it then.

Oh really? I hadn't heard that won, but it makes sense, makes me laugh cos it's true.

WAs trying to watch one of the new arrow episodes, and is it me or do all the fights use EXACTLY the same choreography ? It looks phony. Sigh.. why can't we have Into the Badlands level of fighting - that's what I had hoped lightsaber action for the new star wars would be like, but nope.

Didn't happen.
    My wife tends to get into CW shows, but it's getting to the point where she thinks they're going off the rails a bit and just sleeps through the episodes or stops watching the series.

When it comes to new choreography, the fights are pretty similar and look phony... although to be fair many of the props and costumes look pretty phony. In the end, it comes down to what the shows want to focus their efforts on, and that's not necessarily what the audience/fans want. Without straying too far from the topic, it's similar to the fight choreography in the new Star Wars compared to the OT or the prequels. Say what you will about Lucas, he is a stickler for details, even with the fight scenes. In Episode 3, the final lightsaber duel looks pretty good because most of the moves and counter-moves are actual sword fighting and technically correctly executed when you would want to... aka, it looks like a real fight, minus some horrendous flourishes that should've been edited out. Considering how fast the fighting actually is, the actors obviously spent a good amount of time learning the choreography as they rarely slip up. Compare that to the new trilogy... complete polar opposite, usually looks like people swinging baseball bats and rarely comes off as a real fight or any real technique. All I can say is that the actors either didn't bother to work on their choreography to where they even CGI edit out weapons in the same shot so it doesn't make the actors look bad or the director didn't feel like they had to focus on making the fights realistic.

Same mentality shifts over the TV series and what your focus wants to be. Sure, you have budget restrictions, but some of the best content that has stood the test of time have been where budgets/time were a major restraint. When it comes to CW shows, I feel like they care less about how things look and more about the messaging, and it makes everything feel superficial and lazy (especially when the messaging is terrible or superficial).

Actually... I think the best way to summarize most of what is on the CW is new-age soap operas.
    “Society is endangered not by the great profligacy of a few, but by the laxity of morals amongst all.”
    “It's not an endlessly expanding list of rights — the 'right' to education, the 'right' to health care, the 'right' to food and housing. That's not freedom, that's dependency. Those aren't rights, those are the rations of slavery — hay and a barn for human cattle.”
    ― Alexis de Tocqueville

10+ Year Old Account
    Because the first season was based on the actual book. After that, they went off on their own and it turns out their writers are way better then the author of the original book which is a typical YA female staring romance novel with a sci-fi twist that are a dime a dozen.
    I didnt realise, I checked out of it after the first 3 episodes and never looked back. Might revisit it then.
    First half or so of season one is really bad. Honestly not sure why I even stuck with it. The second half is alright. Then seasons 2-3 are awesome, 4-5 are alright, and 6 was pretty good. If you have some free time with nothing to do, it is worth a watch.

Quote Originally Posted by exochaft View Post
    My wife tends to get into CW shows, but it's getting to the point where she thinks they're going off the rails a bit and just sleeps through the episodes or stops watching the series.

When it comes to new choreography, the fights are pretty similar and look phony... although to be fair many of the props and costumes look pretty phony. In the end, it comes down to what the shows want to focus their efforts on, and that's not necessarily what the audience/fans want. Without straying too far from the topic, it's similar to the fight choreography in the new Star Wars compared to the OT or the prequels. Say what you will about Lucas, he is a stickler for details, even with the fight scenes. In Episode 3, the final lightsaber duel looks pretty good because most of the moves and counter-moves are actual sword fighting and technically correctly executed when you would want to... aka, it looks like a real fight, minus some horrendous flourishes that should've been edited out. Considering how fast the fighting actually is, the actors obviously spent a good amount of time learning the choreography as they rarely slip up. Compare that to the new trilogy... complete polar opposite, usually looks like people swinging baseball bats and rarely comes off as a real fight or any real technique. All I can say is that the actors either didn't bother to work on their choreography to where they even CGI edit out weapons in the same shot so it doesn't make the actors look bad or the director didn't feel like they had to focus on making the fights realistic.

Same mentality shifts over the TV series and what your focus wants to be. Sure, you have budget restrictions, but some of the best content that has stood the test of time have been where budgets/time were a major restraint. When it comes to CW shows, I feel like they care less about how things look and more about the messaging, and it makes everything feel superficial and lazy (especially when the messaging is terrible or superficial).

Actually... I think the best way to summarize most of what is on the CW is new-age soap operas.
    Way to hit the nail on the head. What was up with Disney and the back to novice style episode 4 lightsaber action, it seems they intentional copied all the good and bad bits of the original trilogy in the safe mode setti g of let's retell it but improve the plot.

I was so disappointed, I expected a leap in force power and lightsaber action quality like the prequels were over 4-6, not to mention more stunning planetary and techno vistas instead of yet again deserts and swamps which is the majority of low budget sci fi.

I was expecting Into the Badlands quality of choreography, and after you see top end movie grade production from supposedly one of the best production fittings in the world, I guess Into the Badlands spoilt us.

Arrowverse you have described perfectly, looks so phony and mediocre, for all the criticisms of Iron Fist that shows fight scenes were much better, as was Daredevil's. I was watching a Korean show that focused on a stunt person lead character, turns out you have pro crews with very set choreography they will, use, and it seems the CW has just hired the same people all the way through for all their shows and they do the exact same thing all the time...which would have been more tolerable if it was really good or at least got better, but nope.

Yeh CW is new age soap opera, the messaging, theme and feel is identical across board, when you have lived in places with different cultures and Faith's, you easily notice how monotone and 1 track their message is, and you are like, the real world has a lot more to offer that is different and quite genuine, even within western culture,

I guess after a while, the SAME formular romance, character interactions, plots make the shows quite predictable mostly and cheesy.

Saying that, some do write better, Black Lightning is a little better, and after @Lazull and @The Lightbringer 's recommendations, I shall persist through 100 early season and give it a go.