Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Mistame View Post
    Not really. Words have meanings. If you misuse a word, you're not actually saying what you're trying to say. There's nothing wrong with making a clarification or pointing out a grammatical error if it's done tactfully. People can't learn from a mistake if no one points out why it's wrong. Take "literally", for example. People use it when they mean "figuratively" but a word cannot be its own antonym.
    Actually, literally has been "misused" so much that it can also mean figuratively now.
    https://dictionary.cambridge.org/dic...lish/literally
    " informal
    used to emphasize what you are saying:
    He missed that kick literally by miles.
    I was literally bowled over by the news.
    "

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by AeneasBK View Post
    I don't know if it was a recent attempt to clarify any difference, but when I googled it it agreed in that jealosy is the fear of losing what you have to someone else, and envy is the desire to have what someone else has (if that even seems like two different emotions at face value). But the two words are interchanged so much in common use that making such a distinction seems a bit wank anyway, I shouldn't have posted about it, it's one of those diminishing compulsions like correcting grammar.
    Yeah the English language is weird.

The Unstoppable Force Ghostpanther's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Cockus Maximus View Post
    I agree with the 1st quote yet disagree with the second.

For example: in my case, being a middle class white guy, I'm jealous of rich black men. The reason being that they are generally speaking endowed with the physical "advantages" of being black, yet are rich enough to attract most white women.

Here's the kicker though: I don't hate rich black men, I'm happy for them. On the other hand, I don't think it's unhealthy to acknowledge my jealousy because if it's done in a healthy way it can serve as motivation to work toward my own goals. I know I'll never get to have sex with a white woman as a rich black man, so I have to accept what I can't change, but I can still work toward becoming more wealthy so at least I can have sex with them as a rich white man
    Well, each to his own. But I am happy to see any minority here in the US succeed based on their God given talents and who used their brains to get to where they are. It is not in me to be jealous of others. Even when I was growing up in a extremely poor environment, I was not. What I did feel was a strong desire to be like those who had succeeded. In other words, I was inspired by them.
    " If destruction be our lot, we must ourselves be its author and finisher.." - Abraham Lincoln
    The Constitution be never construed to authorize Congress to - prevent the people of the United States, who are peaceable citizens, from keeping their own arms..” - Samuel Adams

5+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Ghostpanther View Post
    Well, each to his own. But I am happy to see any minority here in the US succeed based on their God given talents and who used their brains to get to where they are. It is not in me to be jealous of others. Even when I was growing up in a extremely poor environment, I was not. What I did feel was a strong desire to be like those who had succeeded. In other words, I was inspired by them.
    Agreed. I guess it may just be a difference in vocabulary we're using, but I think we both mean the same thing. In my case, I'm just saying that my jealousy inspires me, while you're inspired without being jealous. Maybe it's the negative connotation that jealousy has, but I don't mean I'm jealous in a negative way. If anything, it serves as the source of my motivation in this case.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Temp name View Post
    Actually, literally has been "misused" so much that it can also mean figuratively now.
    https://dictionary.cambridge.org/dic...lish/literally
    I'm aware that some dictionaries list both definitions. They're part of the problem. A word cannot be its own antonym. But I suppose that's what we get when illiteracy is commonplace and "trending".
    Last edited by Mistame; 2020-01-31 at 11:00 PM.

Thanks to share it