Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    5+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Grimbold21 View Post
    Well let me put it in simple practical examples. The academic version tends to be excessively verbose and its quite a complex issue to understand.

Let me see if i can do this

Decolonisation tends to refer to the relationship between former colonies and their former metropolis and what can be done by the latter to change that relationship in a more respectable manner.

It usually entails acknowledging the country's colonial legacy towards its former colony, and providing assistance, if asked for, in the pursuit of self determination and rediscovery of their pre colonial identities.

A common example in the field I'm from is the restitution of cultural artifacts to the countries they're from. I have some drawbacks concerning this, but that's gist of it.

Another, regardless of how simple it is, is acknowledging that the history of the countries we choose to praise so much was built upon terrible actions.

Or decolonising institutions, that don't make the "Other" as an inferior. Or more simply rid those institutions of western centric methods of doing things.

In the OPs case, the progressive politician wanted to conduct an inventory of Portuguese cultural institutions to assess its material collections in order to restore what they could to their original territories
    So, basically empty out british museums?

Or more simply rid those institutions of western centric methods of doing things.
    It really is quite remarkable that this seems like a good idea to people living in Western nations.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Spectral View Post
    It really is quite remarkable that this seems like a good idea to people living in Western nations.
    Why's that? Cultural bias is irreconcilable with the scientific objectivity Eurocentrists like to pretend they invented.
    Quote Originally Posted by Marjane Satrapi
    The world is not divided between East and West. You are American, I am Iranian, we don't know each other, but we talk and understand each other perfectly. The difference between you and your government is much bigger than the difference between you and me. And the difference between me and my government is much bigger than the difference between me and you. And our governments are very much the same.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Doctor Amadeus View Post
    Yeah regardless to beliefs, the fact is you're right you can not change someones mind who knows better, but makes the decision to go against that. Because you aren't dealing with ignorance.

This is the same Attitude by some in Sweden and the U.K who post on here ALL the time.

And the person in the OP reminds me more of Tulsi Gabbard, who used to be a hard right wing conservative under her family but then decided to switch parties, and join the military to pad her resume.

Is she a left is she right, is she a Putin Puppet?

No she is worse, she is a fucking low rent fucking opportunist.
    Except i haven't changed.

I don't appreciate intolerance or gullibility of any kind.

At a personal level it annoys me to no end that my dad, who isn't an intellectual btw, taught me to be honest, speak the truth and get to the bottom of things to the best of my ability.

And now he's willingly listening to not even decent populists, speaking half truths, hypocrisies and lies because of his disgruntlement with politics.

It is clear as day what he is, but somehow he's credible cause he speaks as if he were at the pub.

Never mind the fact that he gets caught in his lies and contradictions. It doesn't matter.

I actually had one supporter ask me "hillary supporter or portuguese antifa?"

All i could feel was disappointment with how that american nonsense made its way here. We already had progressive nonsense sprouting here and there, now we got the opposite

Quote Originally Posted by Elegiac View Post
    Why's that? Cultural bias is irreconcilable with the scientific objectivity Eurocentrists like to pretend they invented.
    All I'm saying is that it's weird that anyone in Portugal thinks "rid[dding] institutions of western centric methods of doing things" is appealing.

10+ Year Old Account
    It's nothing new, these things are present universally in every country.

It's like in elections here there was a breakaway guy from the ruling party that basically tried to push his crap by gluing to his agenda weed legalization and a bunch of dumb youngsters did get baited there - thankfully he did not manage to get enough votes to get in, but that was just one case out of quite a few similar ones pushing various crap to get votes from the unwashed masses.

10+ Year Old Account
    All I'm saying is that it's weird that anyone in Portugal thinks "rid[dding] institutions of western centric methods of doing things" is appealing.
    That was more about one of the general principles underlining decolonisation.

It isn't weird at all though, when the proponent is from a former colony, has a PhD in African Studies and until a few days ago she was the single representative of her progressive party in Parliament.

It isn't weird at all though, when the proponent is from a former colony, has a PhD in African Studies and until a few days ago she was the single representative of her progressive party in Parliament.
    I wouldn't be surprised if this person believed what you said, given the description you have here. What differentiates her and a foreign nationalist?

That was more about one of the general principles underlining decolonisation.
    This is part of why people are reacting the way they are. When you say "lets get rid of western centric methods of doing things in western institutions" and people say "they're attacking our culture"... yeah I'm not surprised they have that reaction.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Raybourne View Post
    I wouldn't be surprised if this person believed what you said, given the description you have here. What differentiates her and a foreign nationalist?

This is part of why people are reacting the way they are. When you say "lets get rid of western centric methods of doing things in western institutions" and people say "they're attacking our culture"... yeah I'm not surprised they have that reaction.
    It is primarily aimed at former colonies as their institutions may still carry a western legacy.

However, in the academic world it is very often targeted at the west itself. It has its ups and downs

It is primarily aimed at former colonies as their institutions may still carry a western legacy.

However, in the academic world it is very often targeted at the west itself. It has its ups and downs
    I don't really mind sending cultural artifacts to other countries as a show of faith and friendship, although there is some weirdness involved (given the people who made those artifacts aren't even alive, and I was raised to believe these things have no borders/demographic ownership). Even then, keeping these things with museums and archeologists who will safeguard them and care more for them than the average person is probably still best.

The weird part is the tendency for this to strike inwards. In other words, not just helping foreign people (which is itself going above one's responsibilities), but actively dissolving the natives' way of life and identity. There exists people with a bleeding heart, but some seem to be taking it a few more steps in that direction.

10+ Year Old Account
    If Western culture is truly as bound up with rigor and the Enlightenment as people claim, then discarding a fundamentally an irrational attachment to culture makes perfect sense.

Y'all don't seem to grasp that postmodernism and other deconstructive approaches build upon earlier philosophies and didn't emerge randomly from the thigh of Zeus.
    The world is not divided between East and West. You are American, I am Iranian, we don't know each other, but we talk and understand each other perfectly. The difference between you and your government is much bigger than the difference between you and me. And the difference between me and my government is much bigger than the difference between me and you. And our governments are very much the same.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Raspberry Lemon View Post
    postmodernism is just bs, anyone that believes in it can safely be dismissed
    Because you say so?

Sure, Jan.

10+ Year Old Account
    no, because reality isn't dependent on people who engage in it. it exists regardless of what you think about it
    Ah, so you just don't actually know what postmodernism is.

I take it you watch Jordan Peterson or Sargon of Akkad or some other chud of that ilk?

yes, all the shittiness estonia has done to people... totally invading their countries lol

oh man...
    It depends? Around the time when Northern Crusades started, our ancestors in Baltics were still as shit as any other - raiding, pillaging and slavery. We have romanticized them mostly due to battles against Germans and the following occupation for 700 years, but they were not nice to others.
    Yes, no one can blame Estonia itself, since it was created only in 20th century, when the everything already was colonised.

10+ Year Old Account
    Обединени социалистически щати на Америка
    yes, all the shittiness estonia has done to people... totally invading their countries lol

oh man...
    I doubt he was talking about Estonia, honey.

10+ Year Old Account
    i do know what it is, it's what leads to problems in universities where students get teachers fired due to making them uncomfortable, where they decry the education as transphobic or homophobic
    *turns on megaphone and clears throat*

That's not what postmodernism is.

10+ Year Old Account
    estonia belongs to the west...
    And it never colonized anything. Feeling a bit triggered?

10+ Year Old Account
    yes it is, it is what it leads to
    You can't even explain what it is lol

10+ Year Old Account
    yes it is, it is what it leads to
    You're saying what it leads to, I'm asking you to define what it is.

10+ Year Old Account
    maybe he should talk about the specific countries rather than something as wide as the west...
    Maybe it was clear it was about western countries that where colonizers because it was about decolonization. Calm down a bit.